Does GRIP SIZE matter?

Our Sponsors

This is probably one of the most overlooked facets of equipment to me. Once I began using midsize grips I saw a serious improvement in my control.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was always told size doesn't matter. So she's been lien to me all this time. Oh sorry wrong thread and website.

So my ultimate answer to this thread (at least for me) is a resounding YES! YES grip size matters! I cannot tell you how much better my clubs feel (and how much better I can feel them) with standard s

Whew!     Done deal! Unfortunately I was unable to save my MCC +4's and wound up cutting off nearly $100 of grips off to make way for this "grand" experiment... But I am over that and excited to

Posted Images

Hmmmm, this has me intrigued. I had a lesson a month ago and the instructor said that I have large hands and that I should consider looking into larger grips. I do fight a hook, so based on the comments above, they might help.

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero

Fairway: 3 wood Callaway Epic Sub Zero

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3- 5

Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 6- PW

Wedges: Mizuno S5 50, Callaway PM Grind 56, 60

Putter: Odyssey O works 1w

The right size grip will make a huge difference in your consistency. I don't believe in the sizing charts though as the be all end all. Just have to see what feels right in your hands and go from there.

Totally agree with this. Out of curiosity I just did their online fitter after reading this thread and it says I should be standard. Well I just switched from standard to midsize last summer and love the feel way better and like to think its helped my performance too (in reality its been about the same).

What's in my bag:

Driver:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z, 10.5* set to 9.5* D, Kuro Kage TiNi 65, x-stiff, 45'' long

Hybrids: :srixon-small: z45, 16* and 19*, Kuro Kage Black Hybrid, stiff

Irons:   :titelist-small:  716 AP2 5-PW, NS Pro 950 GH, stiff, +0.5'' long 

Wedges:   :callaway-small: Mack Daddy PM Grind, 58*, black, Skratch Golf 53* wedge, both Dynamic Gold, wedge flex 

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Anser, black, pistol grip, 35"

All clubs RH.

I went to mid-size grips last summer because I was borderline between a standard and mid-size according to fitting recommendations.  With the larger grips I felt like I held the clubs a lot tighter and lost a lot of feel for controlling the ball.  I am going back to standard size grips this year to hopefully relieve the extra tension in my grip.  My opinion is grip size is really just a matter of comfort and feel, not necessarily hand size and ball flight.

• Like 3

WITB

Driver:  Nike Covert 2.0 

Woods:  :taylormade-small: Burner 3 Wood (HL) 15* and 5 Wood 18*

Irons:   :ping-small: G400 (4-7) and i200 (8-UW)

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 (55* and 60*)

Putter:  :odyssey-small: 2-Ball (Tour Bronze)

I wear a regular small glove size, and I bought a hybrid last summer and it came with a mid-size grip and I found with my woods and hybrid I'd try to power through it alot and really get that extra oomph on it.

The mid size grip with the hybrid still gave me the ability to have a smooth swing without feeling like I was ripping through it.  Haven't made the decision yet to convert any of my other clubs but may look at it this year as I added another hybrid and took out my fairways.

Driver: Ping G25 10.5*
Hybrid 3/4: NIke Vapor Fly 20.5, 22.5
Irons: 5 to A Wedge: Mizuno JPX 850 Forged

Wedges: 52*, 56*, 60* Vokey SM4
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 3 (2017)
Ball: Bridgestone RXS
Bag: Callaway

I think feel is a larger indicator of what is correct, although I have seen that I tend to use less hands/wrist when I have a larger grip.  Because of that I've always gone with a midsize in my wedges.  

If your miss is a draw, I think someone would benefit from a larger grip to help combat that a bit.  Not saying it would eliminate, but could lessen the big miss.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

Hmmmm, this has me intrigued. I had a lesson a month ago and the instructor said that I have large hands and that I should consider looking into larger grips. I do fight a hook, so based on the comments above, they might help.

I wear a regular small glove size, and I bought a hybrid last summer and it came with a mid-size grip and I found with my woods and hybrid I'd try to power through it alot and really get that extra oomph on it.

The mid size grip with the hybrid still gave me the ability to have a smooth swing without feeling like I was ripping through it.  Haven't made the decision yet to convert any of my other clubs but may look at it this year as I added another hybrid and took out my fairways.

I think a less costly way to find out if a larger grip works is to try it on one of your irons.  Maybe a seven iron and if that works and feels good, change the rest of the irons.    ;)

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter 

I just switched out from standard MCC's to Midsized+4's. I have issues with grip pressure in the tip of my left hand pinky, due to breaking it a few too many times. I'll be swinging after work, so we'll see how it goes. I've always felt like had too tight of a grip with my standards, but was hesitant to switch to a larger grip because my miss is a big fade already

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

I find it does, although my hands are not really too big either. 

I fit in between a standard and a midsize. Standards feel too skinny, and I can't really swing too hard with a mid size without excessive wrist movement. I have found that a standard grip with an additional wrap gets me in the right comfort zone.

Toying with the amount of wraps is probably a better barometer than simply hand size is. It's all about what is comfortable to you!

• Like 3

BIRD DOG!!!

Driver: TMAG R15, 9 degree, Tour Ad Di 6s

3W: Titleist 910f, 15 degree, Tour Ad Di 7s

3H: Bridgestone J15,Tour AD Di 105s 

Irons: Titleist 714 AP2's 4-Pw (Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey 50, 54, 60 (Project X 6.0 Rifle) 

Putter: Scotty Newport 2, 34"

The right size grip will make a huge difference in your consistency. I don't believe in the sizing charts though as the be all end all. Just have to see what feels right in your hands and go from there.

I agree with jdlingle.  It really comes down to what feels best to you.  

• Like 1

Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

I agree with jdlingle. It really comes down to what feels best to you.

Yup the charts are just a starting point then you either go up or down in size based on personal preference and the outcome of using them.

I have the same issue with gloves. If I use the chart in stores I would be buying large - but XL feel better and that's what I go with.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Like others have said previously you don't want your fingertips digging into your palm. Proper grip size will let you hold the club without squeezing it too hard.

I started regripping my own clubs a few years back in my garage and messing around with different brands and sizes. Since then I've been regripping clubs for my old man and friends while enjoying a few pints. I love tinkering around with all kinds of golf equipment.

• Like 3

Charts are just a starting point. I wear a XL glove or Cadet XL depending on brand, but I use a standard size grip. My fingers barely touch my palm with my left hand and they do not touch with my right hand (right-handed golfer).

I went to mid-size grips last summer because I was borderline between a standard and mid-size according to fitting recommendations. With the larger grips I felt like I held the clubs a lot tighter and lost a lot of feel for controlling the ball. I am going back to standard size grips this year to hopefully relieve the extra tension in my grip. My opinion is grip size is really just a matter of comfort and feel, not necessarily hand size and ball flight.

Have you tried Standard +1 or +2 wraps to get that in-between sizing?

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

Agree with others who've said it's all in what feels right to you and gives you the best control.

I also feel like I'm kinda in-between standard and mid-sized .. for me, so far, the best grip I've found is the "standard" GP CP2 Wrap. It seems to be just enough bigger around vs a standard tour velvet-style wrap, and easy for older fingers to comfortably wrap around and hang on without squeezing.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

I played standard all my life until last year when I went nidsize. I wear a L or XL gloce depending on brand. I loved mudsize at first but then started realizing I was struggling to maintain a good grip; especially in mishits. I just went back to regular wirh an extra wrap after playing around a bit. I got two buckeyts on the grips and 27 holes and zero complaints about going back. I say whatever feels right.

• Like 1

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I moved to midsize a few years back after an online "fitting" said that was my better choice. I find that I have a much softer grip pressure, and as a result started generating more clubhead speed. 

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: I've found that the midsize grips in my driver and 3-wood has eliminated my really bad miss - the pull hook. Gonna take the plunge and install the midsized Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 ALIGN in all of my clubs. I just find that I'm less handsy with the bigger grips.

I've also decided that my old Clevelands with Project X, 6.0 shafts are "too strong" for me. Gonna pull my old Hogan irons out of the garage and play 'em this year, too.

• Like 4

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro Blade #2
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Of course you know Ian and Matt would be all over this one as https://youtu.be/dtWjTeAYDeI

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12