TESTERS WANTED! ×

I'm curious about what wedges you play and why. Also, more specifically does anyone here NOT play a lob wedge? I'm thinking about getting rid of my 60* so that I can add a long club at the other end of the bag. I'd love to hear from you!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Driver -  :callaway-small: Big Bertha Alpha

3W -  :callaway-small: XHot Pro

3 Hybrid - :taylormade-small: Rescue 11

4-PW - Maltby DBM Forged

52 -  :vokey-small: SM4

56 -  :cleveland-small: RTX-3

60 - Scratch SS

Putter -  :seemore-small: FGP

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a 60° in the bag but switched it for a 58. Can open it up if need be.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Driver: Taylormade M2 - Fujikura Pro 60

3 Wood: Taylormade M1 - Graphite Design BB-6X

Irons: Srixon Z745  5-PW - UST Recoils 110

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3  54,60* - UST Recoils 125

Putter: Cleveland Elevado CB

Ball: Vice Pro

Usually I'm 46/52/56/60 or 46/50/54/58. Each wedge in their groups has a bounce/grind for specific green side shots. I don't have much of a gap at the other end of my bag that I'd be willing to remove the LW for when I do need it. Has saved my bacon enough that I won't think about removing it for a while

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I carried a 60* for the first few years but found the 58* to fit the gapping more and be versatile enough to be opened up for those flop shops (that sometimes work, LOL),  I gamed various wedges through the years, including TM TP wedges, Nike wedges, and the original Titleist SM wedges (these are back in my bag)

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I've played both combinations, 50/54/58 and 52/56/60. I'd say I prefer the 50/54/58 set up better as I like to flight my wedges lower typically. I'm also going to take the 58 out of the bag for a few weeks during the wet and soft conditions of southern Michigan early season. I'm trying to decide between two clubs on the long end so taking out the 58 will let me play around with a driving iron vs 5 wood

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

My 60 is in and out of the bag depending on how much I've practiced with it. I don't want it in there to tempt me if I haven't been practicing with it. That only leads to trouble.

Right now, I only have 13 clubs in the bag. Trevino won the '68 US Open with 13 clubs in the bag, so we have that in common.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

We had a very long conversation about 60* wedges last year I forget what it was called. I took it out for a few months to learn more shots with my 56* and will be putting the 60 back in. I really like the glides by Ping

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a 53° cobra, 57° cobra and I'm waiting on a 61° cobra.

I practice 95% of the time with my wedges, 100 yards and in. Mostly because I can do this in the back yard.

But I probably only need 1 maybe 2 of those. I can execute flop shots with the 53°, so really I don't need the other 2. Just manipulate the face and I've got all the lofts in one club.

Can hit it high, low, on the ground... 1-120 yards.

So why do I feel the need for 3 wedges? Just adds to the possibility of messing up.

Edit: So I guess I'd say I am a feel player, I don't have any stock shot I'm looking to hit with the wedges. 7 iron and up I care about distance, 8 iron and down is all about crafting shots and control.

I have a 60° in the basement, does that count?

I play SCOR 46°, 50°, 54° and a Cleveland Smart Sole S 56° for the sand.

I've got the SCOR's because I had the original Eidolons and they just work for me. The Cleveland because I'm crap out of the sand with a normal wedge.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Do you mean brand or loft?

Loft it's 60,56,52,48.

Brand is SCOR and my 60 is very worn so I'm contemplating giving the newest Hogan a try. Tried the FT ones and liked them but not the shaft - I found I get more spin with my SCORs.

In regards to longer club for wedge none of us can help you. It depends on the course or courses that you play, the conditions you most regularly face and your game.

You'd be throwing away shots without a lofted wedge at my club, fast firm and very difficult green complexes. The 60 comes out frequently. However the course that I played prior I hardly ever used the 60 at. I could go severely rounds without touching it.

Chart your game and think wisely before making a change.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Loft it's 60,56,52,48.

Brand is SCOR and my 60 is very worn so I'm contemplating giving the newest Hogan a try. Tried the FT ones and liked them but not the shaft - I found I get more spin with my SCORs.

In regards to longer club for wedge none of us can help you. It depends on the course or courses that you play, the conditions you most regularly face and your game.

You'd be throwing away shots without a lofted wedge at my club, fast firm and very difficult green complexes. The 60 comes out frequently. However the course that I played prior I hardly ever used the 60 at. I could go severely rounds without touching it.

Very good point on how the courses we play can impact our bag setups, different horses for different courses of you will.

Conditions are typically on the softer side of things around my courses, I also can go several rounds without a need for the 58. If I have a need, I can usually work something out with an opened up 54 degree.

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

So, my current wedge setup is 45, 50, 55, 60 on the Cobra One Length F7 to 55 and the One Length King in 60. Because I'm one length with all my irons/wedges, I like have all the options for full swings and distances instead of having to get a bit funky.

I don't mind going in three quarters or half swings, but I'll admit it's a bit trickier than with classic length wedges. However, last year I had a typical length Lob Wedge in the bag and it never felt right compared to the longer clubs.

It's a preference thing on wedges me thinks, you have to consider your impact point, your course conditions and the type of shots you are going to play.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I'm always a 50/54/58. Every couple of years I'll game a 52/58 set up. 58* is the highest I ever go. I can play any shot with the 58.

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

Right now I'm gaming the Mizuno S5 wedges, 54° and 58°. 10° bounce on the sand and 8° bounce on the lob. If I could do it over again, I'd do a 10° bounce on the lob too. I love hitting flops and that sort of thing and the 58° digs too much. I bought them mainly because they were on sale. I knew I wanted Mizzys, but the T7s were out of my price range.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I took the 60* Lob out of my bag at the beginning of last year and really spent a lot of time practicing opening up my 56* sand wedge. I've gotten to the point where I am now very comfortable hitting that shot.

If you can open the face of your sand wedge and hit it consistently, there is no need for a 60*, at least for me. An opened up 56 hits the ball way higher, quicker than hitting a 60* without opening up the face.

Taking the 60* out has just meant carrying 13 clubs, which is fine as I carry and any weight savings is a plus. I do have that spot available if I can't decide between bagging my 20* hybrid or 3 iron.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I took the 60* Lob out of my bag at the beginning of last year and really spent a lot of time practicing opening up my 56* sand wedge. I've gotten to the point where I am now very comfortable hitting that shot.

If you can open the face of your sand wedge and hit it consistently, there is no need for a 60*, at least for me. An opened up 56 hits the ball way higher, quicker than hitting a 60* without opening up the face.

Taking the 60* out has just meant carrying 13 clubs, which is fine as I carry and any weight savings is a plus. I do have that spot available if I can't decide between bagging my 20* hybrid or 3 iron.

I have been back and forth on putting my 60* up to get another long club. Would probably be better off but can't quite bring myself to do it.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Wedges are so personal. What works for someone may not work for someone else. I have a few buddies that go pw 52 58. I tried that setup but it just didn't work for me

That what's great about buying wedges individually. You can mix and max and find a combo that works well together for your game.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

50, 56 and 60 for me. I'd say the bounce you choose for each is just as or if not more important than loft. How you swing the club will also have an impact on shaft selection too.

<p><strong>Driver: </strong><em>Ping G400 Max 9*</em><em>, VTS silver S </em><strong>Fairway 5: </strong><em>Cobra F7, VTS silver S</em><strong>Hybrid 4: </strong><em>Ping G400, VTS silver S</em><strong>Irons 5-PW: </strong><em>Srixon Z765, Steelfiber i110cw</em><strong>Wedges:</strong> <em>Grindworks 50F/56F/60F 86 Series</em><strong>Putter: </strong><em>Evnroll ER2 CS</em><strong>Bag/ Buggy:</strong><em> Bagboy Hybrid Chiller/ Caddy Tek EZ Fold</em><strong>Ball: </strong><em>Q Star Tour</em>

That what's great about buying wedges individually. You can mix and max and find a combo that works well together for your game.

I used to do this until I went with SCORs. I used my Eye2 W as my gap wedge, a High Bounce Ping 54 as my sand iron and a lower bounce Ping 58 as my wedge for shorter shots.

For a while I went 53,60 and had two fairway woods, 3,5 - but I needed the three wood off the tee a couple of times on the course I played and I could manipulate the 53 pretty well.

That set up doesn't fly where I play now. So I use 1 fairway wood an SLDR 3HL. It's ideal because I have several long par 4's to deal with and depending on wind direction will need it on my second shot on one or two of those or perhaps to put myself in position to hit wedge on a couple of the par 5's.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have 50,54,58 setup. I agree with Dueller above about bounce being just as important as loft for most of us. Most amateurs play to little bounce for their skill level. This comes from a fitter I spoke to that worked under Vokey for many years. I tend to agree as the lowest bounce I have is 8 degrees and also have a 14.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I've got a 46,50,52,56,60. The 50 is from my V6 set and the 52 is an add on wedge that fills my 130 gap. 56 and 60 are low bounce because I'm a picker.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I have 50,54,58 setup. I agree with Dueller above about bounce being just as important as loft for most of us. Most amateurs play to little bounce for their skill level. This comes from a fitter I spoke to that worked under Vokey for many years. I tend to agree as the lowest bounce I have is 8 degrees and also have a 14.

Great point and from my recent fitting most don't play enough bounce on their irons either.🤭

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I have several setups. Currently Cobra F6's with 45/50/55 using Matrix Red Tie shafts. Occasionally I pull the Cobras and enter SCOR's with 41/45/49/53/57 all with Genius 10 shafts. I mostly have thin lies this time of year so the SCOR's are helpful with the “V-sole”.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I have my set (Callaway Steelhead) pitching wedge which is strong at 44 then I have my Cleveland CBX 50 & 56.  I also bag the Cleveland Smart sole wedge (58) degree for those tough shots around the green that I need help with.  I'm going to have my smart sole bent to 60 (if that's doable).  I LOVE my CBX wedges so much I will probably pick up a 45ish one to replace my set pitching wedge.  The CBX wedges are so user friendly for me and I enjoy every aspect of them...    Love em!  :wub:

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I've played Mack Daddy, Ping Glide, and Cleveland RTX 3.0 prior to my current wedges, Edel. I can say without a shadow of a doubt, the Edels are the best I've ever played. The way they grind the heel to give ACTUAL relief for when one opens the face is the single greatest asset they have over ALL others. The bounce on most wedges causes the leading edge to be almost mid-ball when a wedge is opened-up. Not with an Edel. They're truly the most versatile wedge on the market. I play 4* from PW on down: 50*, 54*, 58*.

They're expensive, but well worth the price!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I can second this. I picked up a 60* Vokey with 4* bounce. I have no business hitting this thing.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I can second this. I picked up a 60* Vokey with 4* bounce. I have no business hitting this thing.

I have a 60* in my bag that I shouldn't be hitting, except I regularly play several executive length courses that have 2-4 very short par 3's. Think plus or minus 100 yards. When I can tee it up a little, and don't have to worry about the bounce, I generally hit it solid. If it weren't for this, no way would it be in the bag.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Loft it's 60,56,52,48.

Rev I play your exact lofting on my wedges. All my wedges are Wishon PCF Micro-Tour design. They all have thin soles and what Tom call's "Zero-Bounce Heel" allowing easier opening of the club face depending on lie and shot type. They been very successful in my game. However, I do need to consider getting new heads as my 56* especially is getting quite worn.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Rev I play your exact lofting on my wedges. All my wedges are Wishon PCF Micro-Tour design. They all have thin soles and what Tom call's "Zero-Bounce Heel" allowing easier opening of the club face depending on lie and shot type. They been very successful in my game. However, I do need to consider getting new heads as my 56* especially is getting quite worn.

If I recall, you have some pretty nice Japanese forged wedges you could put into play

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Archived