TESTERS WANTED! ×

47 - 52 - 59

The 47 is part of my Ft. Worth's, the 52 is one of the new Equalizers and the 59 is a TK that was re-shafted with a KBS Hi-Rev (and hey, what's up Revkev ) to get the length closer to my iron set.

This gap works well for me and the 52 has enough bounce with the sole where I can play full swings, open it up around the green and still play it from the sand.

So far, so good. I keep comparing them to my T7 wedges on looks (the smaller head with a squarer line is really nice) but overall these are the best value for a forged wedge on the market. IMG_6611.JPGIMG_6612.JPG

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point, I am pretty happy with my bag. I love the driver, hybrids and irons. I recently replaced the 3-5 irons with hybrids and while I have played with just a 54 and 60 wedge, I bought a new set of Mizuno MP T5 52, 56, and 60. I could easily get by with just two wedges but why?

I don't use the 56 that often but it is perfect for the clubhead ear high 75 yard swing. Where I struggle is the 3 wood.

It's not that I don't hit it, it's just that it doesn't seem to give me the consistency that I want. Off the deck, while I have the occasional great shot, if I averaged them out, I doubt the results would be significantly different than the 3 H and probably worse. I have an R9 Super Deep on a 3 wood shaft and an R11 3 wood on a driver shaft I am experimenting with because there are 2 holes that if I hit driver I can reach the water. Hybrid leaves me a long approach. The 3 wood is perfect, but I lacks the consistency to give me confidence. So I usually carry the R9 SD and hit hybrid off the deck. I decided last night to cobble together this R11 3 Wood and give it a go this afternoon.

If it were not for these 2 holes, I might drop the FM's all together and put the MP T11 64* in the bag.

More options around the green are more valuable than an extra few yards that are undependable.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

IMG_1942.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_1941.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

Been playing the 2015 Bettinardi the last couple rounds, like the soft feel around the greens.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

My 60 is in and out of the bag depending on how much I've practiced with it. I don't want it in there to tempt me if I haven't been practicing with it. That only leads to trouble.

Right now, I only have 13 clubs in the bag. Trevino won the '68 US Open with 13 clubs in the bag, so we have that in common.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

LOL When Trevino won the US Open there was no such animal as a 60* wedge

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have really been hitting my Edels so well lately. My distance, full shots, half shots, chips, just awesome. There is no doubt that they could feel a little better, maybe even put more spin on a ball, but the performance has been great overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

We had a very long conversation about 60* wedges last year I forget what it was called. I took it out for a few months to learn more shots with my 56* and will be putting the 60 back in. I really like the glides by Ping

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

i just bought a 60 Ping Glide 1.0 our of a secondhand bin this summer for $35. Nearly new, with fresh golf pride grip. I had never played a 60, but decided to learn. Ever since then, it's my favorite club hands down. This may be due to extensive practice with it this year compared to other wedges, but is my go to from 60-65 yards and in. I feel I can hit any type of shot I need with it, and my only miss being a short shot from not commuting n Ohhh and getting held back in the rough resulting in a short shot. Loved it so much I went back and bought the 50* and 56* that we're the rest of someone's complete set that included my 60 I bought first. Between these 3, my brand new 52 and 56 MD4's never get pulled out of the bag hardly. I can hit the pings so much better, and they were $120 per wedge cheaper!

Papa-Bear was Here. 

Got some new wedges in the other day, Callaway's Mack Daddy 4 wedges in 50 54 and 58, S grind in the two lower lofts and C grind in the 58 to help with open faced shots. For now my hogan and Nike wedges are taking a break.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

Well as of this time I am gaming my old dependable 588s in 56 and 60. I do have different bounces and sole grinds on them. The 56* is the traditional 8* and the shafts are also tipped different. The 60* is a 4* bounce and I did a Scratch EGG type grind on it. I manipulate the club a lot so those are versatile for me.  I use the 60 on really high flops and greenside bunkers. I also use the 60 with its grind for the chop pop shot out of thick grass. A lot has been mentioned here about opening the face but on some shots I  shut the face and deloft it too. But the 56 is the workhorse for me. Since I play older clubs with "traditional" lofts my PW is only 48*. For me I have it covered between the 9 iron @45* and the wedges. But that is just me. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

So with the Cobra F8s (maybe you've heard that some of us are doing something with Cobra F8s?), I'm playing with set wedges for the first time ever. And Tony Covey was correct in his review. They look like real wedges, and they play like real wedges. I didn't think I'd ever get over having to give up my CBX, but frankly I don't think about it much anymore.

Lofts are 49/54/58. After years of fighting with a 60* lob, I'm enjoying the 58. Very playable. These could be the best set wedges since the Ping Eye 2s.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 weeks later...

I don't carry a 60. I have one but can't hit it so it's in the hall closet along with several other ill advised golf buys. I use McDaddy from Calloway which I simply love. I have one bag with a 50 and 54. The other has 52 and 56. I love the feel, response and accuracy of each.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I play a 45º PW, a 56º SW and i choose them by distance from the green.

So far so good as i´m only now starting to learn the difference between a Pitch and a Chip and a Lob and a hole in the ground because i took my eyes of the ball.... :P <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_unsure.png" alt=":unsure:">

How did you guys chose your wedges? Was it trial and error? Playing with each other wedges to see the diference? or do you guys go to demo days to try them out? :blink: :)

Or did you do a wedge fitting? Fitted by wedgie?

As usual, I have very specific ideas about wedges.

I carried a shot-specific sand-only wedge for years.  Once I got confidence that I could get the ball out and on in one with that club, I then had enough confidence to try with a more versatile wedge. But most of the time, the one-trick pony sand iron goes back in the bag.

One little trick of mine has been to avoid ordering the set-matching pitching wedge with a set of irons.  Order the eight-iron one degree weak, the nine-iron two degrees weak, and go straight to the real wedges.

I used to love Cleveland wedges, especially the 588   53º and the 691   58º, but the newer ones don't do it for me.

Titleist offers a staggeringly good selection of loft/bounce combos, but Vokey  wedges aren't particularly forgiving. 

Wilson. MacGregor, and Spalding were great--when I was twenty-five.

The sleeper for me is Mizuno. A selection almost as good as Titleist but a little more forgiving weight distribution.  It's a thought, anyway.

Mizuno S18....51-08, 58-04 w/ UST Recoil 95

Alien Ultimate w/ Aldila Lobster Pro 120

Nifty! You're back!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

attachicon.gifIMG_1942.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1937.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1936.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1941.JPG

Very nice! Did you stamp them yourself?

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Very nice! Did you stamp them yourself?

Thanks! No wedge works. I think they did a bad job

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

Do I need 2 lob wedges? 60 and a 64?

I'd go 48, 56, 60, 64... and ditch the hybrid.

Or 48, 54, 58, 64.

Too many choices.

I'm deadly with my current 60, another wand in the bag?

Skip the 64 and go right to the 73

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

There seem to be at minimum two schools of thought with wedge selection.

There's the matrix system with an evenly gapped wedge set and a matrix of yardages for full, three-quarter, and half-swings with each club.

That works if you put in the practice time, but I just got confused when I tried it ten or fifteen  years ago.

Instead, I toss a few wedges that I like and can hit into the bag and free wheel it.  I can't say that this system works spectacularly well either, but it's what I do. Or did when I last played regularly.

8-iron 1º weak / 40º

9-iron 2º weak / 45º

no set matching PW

Mizuno S18   51-08, 58-04 (UST Recoil 95)

Alien Ultimate SW (Aldila Lobster Pro 120)

I have the SCOR wedges as well in 50, 54, and 58.  However, I pulled my 54 out an replaced it with a Callaway SureOut sand wedge because it's a better club for me out of bunkers.  I'm a feel player with wedges; I don't even really look at yardages within 80 yards.  I never hit any of those wedges with a full swing.  Depending on the distance and location of the pin relative to the front of the green, I will play most any wedge, but my 58 is my goto club for anything close to the green. 

It all depends on the turf as to whether or not a LW is the right club.  The turf I play is very firm.  A club like a SW with more bounce is not the club I would use.  On softer turf I could probably do without a LW.  I have no problem with my 58 from a tight lie, even if I hit it a little fat (which happens).  I think the v-sole on the SCOR wedges gives me the opportunity to use it off different turf conditions pretty well.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I like the way my face is arraigned.

Same thing that people said when they came out with 60* and then 64* wedges.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I'm the crazy guy at the course. I have 52, 56, 60, 64 wedges in my bag. I hit all of them multiple times during a round. I love my damn wedges.

Rich

Irons: Mizuno MPH-4 (4-PW)

Driver: Ping G400 LST

Wedges: Cleveland 52, 56, 62

Putter: Rife

Orlando, FL

I still only play the PW that came with my PE2 set. From what have found its spec are 50.7 loft and 64.5 lie. At the range, a full swing yields a pretty tight grouping at about 75 yards.  When I'm inside that, and attempt to throttle down my swing, consistency is not good.  More often than not shots come up short.  I find many of my approach shots are with a 8 or 9 iron which I have good success with. 

Forum WITB info suggests many of you play with at least two wedges.  No way I'm hauling around 3 or 4 as some do, but might consider a second.  I see that PE2's offered a SW (57.7/64.5) & LW 61.0/64.5, but never tried either. Many available on the used market, but which one would you suggest?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I'm the crazy guy at the course. I have 52, 56, 60, 64 wedges in my bag. I hit all of them multiple times during a round. I love my damn wedges.

I'm on the same team!

PW from set - 47

Ping Glide 1.0 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 52

Callaway MD4 - 56

Ping Glide 1.0 - 60

I as well LOVE my wedges! I used to be addicted to my 60 degree (mainly because I spent the entire summer practicing with it religiously.) After honing my skills with the other wedges, they all have their place in my bag now. I've never had the opportunity to swing a 64, but It sounds intriguing....

Papa-Bear was Here. 

I've got Hogan TK15 wedges in 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*, 63*. I really wasn't sure I needed a whole set at 4* increments but since they were being discontinued I felt the need to grab them.

The seamless transition from the Ft. Worth irons to the TK Wedges has me thinking different about my wedge play. The TK wedges are more like 10,11,12,13 irons. Full swings that I would never try with a 60* wedge before I now do all the time with my 63*.

I had to lose my 3- wood and 20* hybrid, replaced by a single 19* 5-wood but not having to worry about manipulating and opening up the wedges has made my short game more reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting question, I play a 52/56/60 and often find myself wondering if having the 60 degree is useful. I decided to keep it because more strokes tend to be lost around the green than as a result of lack of distance. It does take some work to accurately dial in your wedge distances and determine what type of shots require the use of your different wedges.  

I replaced my Scor wedges with 52, 56 and 60 Ping Glide 2.0 wedges. I find the turf interaction much better for my swing on pitch shots. Dispersion and distance control has improved greatly. My basic shots are 1/4 and 1/2 swings with all three. I never take full swings with wedges so I can't comment on this.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Archived