Our Sponsors

There seem to be at minimum two schools of thought with wedge selection.

There's the matrix system with an evenly gapped wedge set and a matrix of yardages for full, three-quarter, and half-swings with each club.

That works if you put in the practice time, but I just got confused when I tried it ten or fifteen  years ago.

Instead, I toss a few wedges that I like and can hit into the bag and free wheel it.  I can't say that this system works spectacularly well either, but it's what I do. Or did when I last played regularly.

8-iron 1º weak / 40º

9-iron 2º weak / 45º

no set matching PW

Mizuno S18   51-08, 58-04 (UST Recoil 95)

Alien Ultimate SW (Aldila Lobster Pro 120)

• Like 1

I have the SCOR wedges as well in 50, 54, and 58.  However, I pulled my 54 out an replaced it with a Callaway SureOut sand wedge because it's a better club for me out of bunkers.  I'm a feel player with wedges; I don't even really look at yardages within 80 yards.  I never hit any of those wedges with a full swing.  Depending on the distance and location of the pin relative to the front of the green, I will play most any wedge, but my 58 is my goto club for anything close to the green. 

It all depends on the turf as to whether or not a LW is the right club.  The turf I play is very firm.  A club like a SW with more bounce is not the club I would use.  On softer turf I could probably do without a LW.  I have no problem with my 58 from a tight lie, even if I hit it a little fat (which happens).  I think the v-sole on the SCOR wedges gives me the opportunity to use it off different turf conditions pretty well.

Aging sucks...  Are you tough enough to get old?

I like the way my face is arraigned.

Same thing that people said when they came out with 60* and then 64* wedges.

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:   :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  :odyssey-small: Ten S 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm the crazy guy at the course. I have 52, 56, 60, 64 wedges in my bag. I hit all of them multiple times during a round. I love my damn wedges.

• Like 4

Rich

Irons: Mizuno MPH-4 (4-PW)

Driver: Ping G400 LST

Wedges: Cleveland 52, 56, 62

Putter: Rife

Orlando, FL

I'm the crazy guy at the course. I have 52, 56, 60, 64 wedges in my bag. I hit all of them multiple times during a round. I love my damn wedges.

I think we would get along well Warden.
  • Like 1

I still only play the PW that came with my PE2 set. From what have found its spec are 50.7 loft and 64.5 lie. At the range, a full swing yields a pretty tight grouping at about 75 yards.  When I'm inside that, and attempt to throttle down my swing, consistency is not good.  More often than not shots come up short.  I find many of my approach shots are with a 8 or 9 iron which I have good success with. 

Forum WITB info suggests many of you play with at least two wedges.  No way I'm hauling around 3 or 4 as some do, but might consider a second.  I see that PE2's offered a SW (57.7/64.5) & LW 61.0/64.5, but never tried either. Many available on the used market, but which one would you suggest?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

I'm on the same team!

PW from set - 47

Ping Glide 1.0 - 50

Callaway MD4 - 52

Callaway MD4 - 56

Ping Glide 1.0 - 60

I as well LOVE my wedges! I used to be addicted to my 60 degree (mainly because I spent the entire summer practicing with it religiously.) After honing my skills with the other wedges, they all have their place in my bag now. I've never had the opportunity to swing a 64, but It sounds intriguing....

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I've got Hogan TK15 wedges in 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*, 63*. I really wasn't sure I needed a whole set at 4* increments but since they were being discontinued I felt the need to grab them.

The seamless transition from the Ft. Worth irons to the TK Wedges has me thinking different about my wedge play. The TK wedges are more like 10,11,12,13 irons. Full swings that I would never try with a 60* wedge before I now do all the time with my 63*.

I had to lose my 3- wood and 20* hybrid, replaced by a single 19* 5-wood but not having to worry about manipulating and opening up the wedges has made my short game more reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

WITB:

Ping Karsten Laminate Woods 1,3,4,5

Arias True Zero Offset Irons 4-SW 

Fernquest & Johnson San Franciscan Putter

Interesting question, I play a 52/56/60 and often find myself wondering if having the 60 degree is useful. I decided to keep it because more strokes tend to be lost around the green than as a result of lack of distance. It does take some work to accurately dial in your wedge distances and determine what type of shots require the use of your different wedges.  

I replaced my Scor wedges with 52, 56 and 60 Ping Glide 2.0 wedges. I find the turf interaction much better for my swing on pitch shots. Dispersion and distance control has improved greatly. My basic shots are 1/4 and 1/2 swings with all three. I never take full swings with wedges so I can't comment on this.

Driver - Callaway Rogue Draw

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Irons - Srixon Z565 5-PW

Wedges - Ping Glide 2.0 52-56-60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Does anybody use their less lofted wedges for sand shots?

Sometimes I carried a one-trick-pony, strictly for the sand club, but sometimes I didn't.

I always chose low bounce wedges throughout the turf wedge lofts, so I had to lay them wide open to get bounce. The lob wedge always had the least bounce.

That meant that if I didn't have my dedicated sand iron in the bag, I would use nothing weaker than a gap wedge for sand shots.  If I tried to get bounce on my lob wedge for example, the loft would be so high that I might hit myself in the face.

Does anybody use their less lofted wedges for sand shots?

Sometimes I carried a one-trick-pony, strictly for the sand club, but sometimes I didn't.

I always chose low bounce wedges throughout the turf wedge lofts, so I had to lay them wide open to get bounce. The lob wedge always had the lowest bounce.

That meant that if I didn't have my dedicated sand iron in the bag, I would use nothing weaker than a gap wedge for sand shots. If I tried to get bounce on my lob wedge for example, the loft would be so high that I might hit myself in the face.

I use a 54 or 58 for greenside bunker shots, depending on the distance, condition and lie. I'll go down to a 50 or PW if I'm further out or in an ugly lie.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink: