TESTERS WANTED! ×

Square Strike Wedge for You?

PlaidJacket

No doubt most everyone have seen the commercials for the Square Strike Wedge. Yesterday I got to actually try one out a few times. A buddy of mine that's like many of the golfers in the commercial bought one.

I actually liked it too! Several times when my friend pulled it out I'd dropped a ball alongside him and give it shot. My results were good. It's a short club perhaps a little like a putter and with a heavy head and a wide sole. (you can follow the link and read all the specs)

I hit shots from a few yards off the green up to about 10 yards I'd guess. It's easy to hit I thought. After only hitting a few shots I'd recommend this club it you're like the commercial says and struggle with short chips and pitches. I believe I would if I had issues chipping and pitching. My friend seemed a little embarrassed to be carrying one but I said, "who gives a flip" if the thing works for you; use it. As the old saying goes... "It's not how, it's how many." I think it's going to be a game changer for him.

https://www.squarestrikewedge.com/get/squarestrike/

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

It's pretty much a generic version of the Cleveland Niblick that came out almost 10 years ago.

Definitely makes sense for a lot of people

I knew that shape looked familiar. I almost bought one a few years ago when I was starting out because my short game was terrible

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I myself have never seen one in the flesh but if it helps others enjoy the game more and keeps them playing I'm all for these concepts as long as they are not blatant lies and snake oil clubs.

I struggled with my old sand wedge out of the bunker and after reading the MGS comparison between the Smart Sole, Sure Out and C3i I purchased a Smart Sole based on the test results. I have this at home and use it to practise alongside my 56* traditional wedge when I go to the range to help in grain the splash/ thud feeling of using the club bounce to get me out. It's been a great teaching aid in that respect and I have gamed it a few times depending on how heavily bunkered some courses are.

More and more I now see the infomercial clubs getting around the courses I play here. GX7's, C3i's etc and couldn't care less what others put in their bag. If it works I'd rather have an odd looking bag setup and an enjoyable score than a great looking bag and a miserable walk around the park.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

<p><strong>Driver: </strong><em>Ping G400 Max 9*</em><em>, VTS silver S </em><strong>Fairway 5: </strong><em>Cobra F7, VTS silver S</em><strong>Hybrid 4: </strong><em>Ping G400, VTS silver S</em><strong>Irons 5-PW: </strong><em>Srixon Z765, Steelfiber i110cw</em><strong>Wedges:</strong> <em>Grindworks 50F/56F/60F 86 Series</em><strong>Putter: </strong><em>Evnroll ER2 CS</em><strong>Bag/ Buggy:</strong><em> Bagboy Hybrid Chiller/ Caddy Tek EZ Fold</em><strong>Ball: </strong><em>Q Star Tour</em>

No doubt most everyone have seen the commercials for the Square Strike Wedge. Yesterday I got to actually try one out a few times. A buddy of mine that's like many of the golfers in the commercial bought one.

I actually liked it too! Several times when my friend pulled it out I'd dropped a ball alongside him and give it shot. My results were good. It's a short club perhaps a little like a putter and with a heavy head and a wide sole. (you can follow the link and read all the specs)

I hit shots from a few yards off the green up to about 10 yards I'd guess. It's easy to hit I thought. After only hitting a few shots I'd recommend this club it you're like the commercial says and struggle with short chips and pitches. I believe I would if I had issues chipping and pitching. My friend seemed a little embarrassed to be carrying one but I said, "who gives a flip" if the thing works for you; use it. As the old saying goes... "It's not how, it's how many." I think it's going to be a game changer for him.

I bought my son an old Wilson chipper at Goodwill for two bucks. It has a very similar look to the square strike. Almost like a thick putter with a beveled face. It's actually a neat club for him. If I could have found a lefty, I probably would have picked it up for myself.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I bought my son an old Wilson chipper at Goodwill for two bucks. It has a very similar look to the square strike. Almost like a thick putter with a beveled face. It's actually a neat club for him. If I could have found a lefty, I probably would have picked it up for myself.

Is it any different than the Odyssey or Top Flite Chipper? A couple of years ago I was thinking about getting the Odyssey Chipper but then I found my 8 iron was more versatile (bump and roll). I still occasionally wonder about it. Also I like playing out of bunkers with my wedges so the square strike never interested me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

It's another one I would love to see us test!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If it works use it! I have carried a Smart Sole in the past and may do so again. I just want to play good

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I always thought that commercial was funny; same for all of those commercials.  Not that the clubs won't work, but they always show people with poor mechanics struggling.  Then they show people with good mechanics that have good results.  The people with good mechanics could do the same thing with a traditional wedge.

Having said that... I have good days and bad days out of bunkers.  The bad are very bad.  I thought about getting the Cleveland Smart Sole, but opted for the Callaway Sure Out.  It really helped my sand game.  I will be posting a user review shortly when I get home from my Easter trip.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Is it any different than the Odyssey or Top Flite Chipper? A couple of years ago I was thinking about getting the Odyssey Chipper but then I found my 8 iron was more versatile (bump and roll). I still occasionally wonder about it. Also I like playing out of bunkers with my wedges so the square strike never interested me.

It's the same concept, but quite a bit older, I think. It's shaped a lot like the square strike.

My Bag:

Most of the chippers have roughly the same loft as a 8 iron anyways if that's your preferred club. The wider sole keeps them from digging in before you hit the ball is the big difference between the two

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Ok. So maybe this should be a thread about how terrible my memory is. The only thing I got right was Goodwill, and all their clubs at this store are $1.99 so the two bucks was right, at least. Here it is... IMG_20180401_104351.jpgIMG_20180401_104434.jpgIMG_20180401_104516.jpg

My Bag:

Hah well pains me To admit this.... but one drunken night back when I first started golfing. I was sitting on the couch about to pass out when the infomercial came on.. “is your short game in the dumps. Do you have problems getting out of sand and tight spots” anddddd the following Tuesday the xE1 wedges were on my doorstep. I didn't even remember buying them. Called them up and I was told sir you purchased these at 3am Sunday morning.. yeah I remember now silly me. So I say go for it

• 3 weeks later...

I hit shots from a few yards off the green up to about 10 yards I'd guess. It's easy to hit I thought. After only hitting a few shots I'd recommend this club it you're like the commercial says and struggle with short chips and pitches. I believe I would if I had issues chipping and pitching. My friend seemed a little embarrassed to be carrying one but I said, "who gives a flip" if the thing works for you; use it. As the old saying goes... "It's not how, it's how many." I think it's going to be a game changer for him.

Curious if your friend is still bagging this puppy?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Lately I have been losing a boat load of stokes from poor chipping and pitching around the greens.  I even started chipping with my 5 iron which I used like a putter.  I had a good deal of success when I played with my Callaway Razr XF irons as they have a larger butt profile.  My new Steelhead irons have a narrower butt and my strokes around the green have gone to shat. Sooooooo I ordered one of these puppies and will use the same putting stroke I had success with the XF irons.  If it works nearly as good I'll be saving 5 or more strokes around the greens.   And if the old boys around the course want to make fun of my green machine, I'll tell em to kiss my big ole arse and grin when I take em to the woodshed. 

If you guys want me to do a mini review, I'll be glad to post my thoughts?

Cleveland

Lately I have been losing a boat load of stokes from poor chipping and pitching around the greens. I even started chipping with my 5 iron which I used like a putter. I had a good deal of success when I played with my Callaway Razr XF irons as they have a larger butt profile. My new Steelhead irons have a narrower butt and my strokes around the green have gone to shat. Sooooooo I ordered one of these puppies and will use the same putting stroke I had success with the XF irons. If it works nearly as good I'll be saving 5 or more strokes around the greens. And if the old boys around the course want to make fun of my green machine, I'll tell em to kiss my big ole arse and grin when I take em to the woodshed.

If you guys want me to do a mini review, I'll be glad to post my thoughts?

Please do! My wife struggles mightily with her chipping and I think this could be the ticket, but I haven't seen one in person. If it works I don't care what it looks like!

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Please do! My wife struggles mightily with her chipping and I think this could be the ticket, but I haven't seen one in person. If it works I don't care what it looks like!

I'll certainly do that partner.  The good thing about this club is you have 60 days to try it and if it does not suit ya fancy, your money will be refunded.   Once I have some time with it, I'll post my review up here. 

Cleveland

FWIW, I have both a 36* and 42* hybrid that work like charms for those shots. My philosophy is to get the ball on the ground as quickly as possible, no interest at all in the dramatic 3 story flop shot. There ain't no pictures on the score card.

I've holed out more often with the 36 then the 42.

Full disclosure, I'm a bogey golfer and those clubs have covered my poor drives and/or approach shots.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

Yes he is and loving it. I played with him last Saturday and tried it again myself a couple of times. Good results both times. Granted I was just off the green a little bit and could have accomplished the similar results, I think; with one of my wedges or even a putter perhaps. But the SS feels good to me. Then on Sunday by buddy called to tell me he made his first eagle using the SS from about 10 yds off the green and sank it.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Yes he is and loving it. I played with him last Saturday and tried it again myself a couple of times. Good results both times. Granted I was just off the green a little bit and could have accomplished the similar results, I think; with one of my wedges or even a putter perhaps. But the SS feels good to me. Then on Sunday by buddy called to tell me he made his first eagle using the SS from about 10 yds off the green and sank it.

I wasted several strokes around the greens today. It's not that I don't know proper technique. I've been to the Dave Peltz short game school etc.

Cleveland

I wasted several strokes around the greens today. It's not that I don't know proper technique. I've been to the Dave Peltz short game school etc.

I understand your pain!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I understand your pain!

I'm going to do a jam up review on this puppy.   I'm in the hacker range  (14 handicap) however I do shoot many rounds in the low eighties.  I know where I'm losing strokes and it's around the greens. 

Cleveland

Honestly can't see anything knocking the CBX's out of the bag for me. But hey, if it works for someone ... game it!

What's in My Bag?

Driver: Cobra F6

Fairway: Cobra F6 3/4

Hybrids: Wilson Staff D100ES (4 & 5)

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 (6i to GW)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX (52, 56, and 60°)

Putter: Happy Putter Blade

I may have considered this club too when starting out since my short game (chips) were absolutely terrible. Since though, that part of my game is slowly turning out to be a strength even with the off-the-rack wedges that came with my set. I think part of the gaining strength is simply the confidence I'm getting with a new ball I'm using/testing...! Also technique is getting better and better too. Actually thinking of getting fitted for Glide 2.0's soon!

I'm sure there are folks that'll benefit from the Square Strike fer sure...just not me any more.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I would never use this but I love the idea of it being used as a training tool for chipping in terms on the swing and setup. Other than the square sole itself, its almost identical to being more upright with a gap or pitching wedge that have some lead tape on them.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

• 1 month later...

My dad got one of these, I've tried it, I hate it. I can get much more from my 56* if Im far off the green or my 7 iron with a putting stroke if Im just off. 

My dad however loves it but cant hit anything from 20 yards and in

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Archived