Square Strike Wedge for You?

Our Sponsors

It's pretty much a generic version of the Cleveland Niblick that came out almost 10 years ago.

Definitely makes sense for a lot of people

• Like 2

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50F - 54S - 59D
:scotty-small: Phantom X 5.5 (2021)
:titelist-small: ProV1

It's pretty much a generic version of the Cleveland Niblick that came out almost 10 years ago.

Definitely makes sense for a lot of people

I knew that shape looked familiar. I almost bought one a few years ago when I was starting out because my short game was terrible

• Like 1

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I myself have never seen one in the flesh but if it helps others enjoy the game more and keeps them playing I'm all for these concepts as long as they are not blatant lies and snake oil clubs.

I struggled with my old sand wedge out of the bunker and after reading the MGS comparison between the Smart Sole, Sure Out and C3i I purchased a Smart Sole based on the test results. I have this at home and use it to practise alongside my 56* traditional wedge when I go to the range to help in grain the splash/ thud feeling of using the club bounce to get me out. It's been a great teaching aid in that respect and I have gamed it a few times depending on how heavily bunkered some courses are.

More and more I now see the infomercial clubs getting around the courses I play here. GX7's, C3i's etc and couldn't care less what others put in their bag. If it works I'd rather have an odd looking bag setup and an enjoyable score than a great looking bag and a miserable walk around the park.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

<p><strong>Driver: </strong><em>Ping G400 Max 9*</em><em>, VTS silver S </em><strong>Fairway 5: </strong><em>Cobra F7, VTS silver S</em><strong>Hybrid 4: </strong><em>Ping G400, VTS silver S</em><strong>Irons 5-PW: </strong><em>Srixon Z765, Steelfiber i110cw</em><strong>Wedges:</strong> <em>Grindworks 50F/56F/60F 86 Series</em><strong>Putter: </strong><em>Evnroll ER2 CS</em><strong>Bag/ Buggy:</strong><em> Bagboy Hybrid Chiller/ Caddy Tek EZ Fold</em><strong>Ball: </strong><em>Q Star Tour</em>

No doubt most everyone have seen the commercials for the Square Strike Wedge. Yesterday I got to actually try one out a few times. A buddy of mine that's like many of the golfers in the commercial bought one.

I actually liked it too! Several times when my friend pulled it out I'd dropped a ball alongside him and give it shot. My results were good. It's a short club perhaps a little like a putter and with a heavy head and a wide sole. (you can follow the link and read all the specs)

I hit shots from a few yards off the green up to about 10 yards I'd guess. It's easy to hit I thought. After only hitting a few shots I'd recommend this club it you're like the commercial says and struggle with short chips and pitches. I believe I would if I had issues chipping and pitching. My friend seemed a little embarrassed to be carrying one but I said, "who gives a flip" if the thing works for you; use it. As the old saying goes... "It's not how, it's how many." I think it's going to be a game changer for him.

https://www.squarestrikewedge.com/get/squarestrike/

I bought my son an old Wilson chipper at Goodwill for two bucks. It has a very similar look to the square strike. Almost like a thick putter with a beveled face. It's actually a neat club for him. If I could have found a lefty, I probably would have picked it up for myself.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I bought my son an old Wilson chipper at Goodwill for two bucks. It has a very similar look to the square strike. Almost like a thick putter with a beveled face. It's actually a neat club for him. If I could have found a lefty, I probably would have picked it up for myself.

Is it any different than the Odyssey or Top Flite Chipper? A couple of years ago I was thinking about getting the Odyssey Chipper but then I found my 8 iron was more versatile (bump and roll). I still occasionally wonder about it. Also I like playing out of bunkers with my wedges so the square strike never interested me.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

It's another one I would love to see us test!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

If it works use it! I have carried a Smart Sole in the past and may do so again. I just want to play good

• Like 2

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I always thought that commercial was funny; same for all of those commercials.  Not that the clubs won't work, but they always show people with poor mechanics struggling.  Then they show people with good mechanics that have good results.  The people with good mechanics could do the same thing with a traditional wedge.

Having said that... I have good days and bad days out of bunkers.  The bad are very bad.  I thought about getting the Cleveland Smart Sole, but opted for the Callaway Sure Out.  It really helped my sand game.  I will be posting a user review shortly when I get home from my Easter trip.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Is it any different than the Odyssey or Top Flite Chipper? A couple of years ago I was thinking about getting the Odyssey Chipper but then I found my 8 iron was more versatile (bump and roll). I still occasionally wonder about it. Also I like playing out of bunkers with my wedges so the square strike never interested me.

It's the same concept, but quite a bit older, I think. It's shaped a lot like the square strike.

My Bag:

Most of the chippers have roughly the same loft as a 8 iron anyways if that's your preferred club. The wider sole keeps them from digging in before you hit the ball is the big difference between the two

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Ok. So maybe this should be a thread about how terrible my memory is. The only thing I got right was Goodwill, and all their clubs at this store are $1.99 so the two bucks was right, at least. Here it is... IMG_20180401_104351.jpgIMG_20180401_104434.jpgIMG_20180401_104516.jpg

My Bag:

Hah well pains me To admit this.... but one drunken night back when I first started golfing. I was sitting on the couch about to pass out when the infomercial came on.. “is your short game in the dumps. Do you have problems getting out of sand and tight spots” anddddd the following Tuesday the xE1 wedges were on my doorstep. I didn't even remember buying them. Called them up and I was told sir you purchased these at 3am Sunday morning.. yeah I remember now silly me. So I say go for it

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

No doubt most everyone have seen the commercials for the Square Strike Wedge. Yesterday I got to actually try one out a few times. A buddy of mine that's like many of the golfers in the commercial bought one.

I actually liked it too! Several times when my friend pulled it out I'd dropped a ball alongside him and give it shot. My results were good. It's a short club perhaps a little like a putter and with a heavy head and a wide sole. (you can follow the link and read all the specs)

I hit shots from a few yards off the green up to about 10 yards I'd guess. It's easy to hit I thought. After only hitting a few shots I'd recommend this club it you're like the commercial says and struggle with short chips and pitches. I believe I would if I had issues chipping and pitching. My friend seemed a little embarrassed to be carrying one but I said, "who gives a flip" if the thing works for you; use it. As the old saying goes... "It's not how, it's how many." I think it's going to be a game changer for him.

https://www.squarestrikewedge.com/get/squarestrike/

Curious if your friend is still bagging this puppy?

• Like 1

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter 

Lately I have been losing a boat load of stokes from poor chipping and pitching around the greens.  I even started chipping with my 5 iron which I used like a putter.  I had a good deal of success when I played with my Callaway Razr XF irons as they have a larger butt profile.  My new Steelhead irons have a narrower butt and my strokes around the green have gone to shat. Sooooooo I ordered one of these puppies and will use the same putting stroke I had success with the XF irons.  If it works nearly as good I'll be saving 5 or more strokes around the greens.   And if the old boys around the course want to make fun of my green machine, I'll tell em to kiss my big ole arse and grin when I take em to the woodshed. 

If you guys want me to do a mini review, I'll be glad to post my thoughts?

• Like 4

Lately I have been losing a boat load of stokes from poor chipping and pitching around the greens. I even started chipping with my 5 iron which I used like a putter. I had a good deal of success when I played with my Callaway Razr XF irons as they have a larger butt profile. My new Steelhead irons have a narrower butt and my strokes around the green have gone to shat. Sooooooo I ordered one of these puppies and will use the same putting stroke I had success with the XF irons. If it works nearly as good I'll be saving 5 or more strokes around the greens. And if the old boys around the course want to make fun of my green machine, I'll tell em to kiss my big ole arse and grin when I take em to the woodshed.

If you guys want me to do a mini review, I'll be glad to post my thoughts?

Please do! My wife struggles mightily with her chipping and I think this could be the ticket, but I haven't seen one in person. If it works I don't care what it looks like!

• Like 1

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Please do! My wife struggles mightily with her chipping and I think this could be the ticket, but I haven't seen one in person. If it works I don't care what it looks like!

I'll certainly do that partner.  The good thing about this club is you have 60 days to try it and if it does not suit ya fancy, your money will be refunded.   Once I have some time with it, I'll post my review up here. 

• Like 2

FWIW, I have both a 36* and 42* hybrid that work like charms for those shots. My philosophy is to get the ball on the ground as quickly as possible, no interest at all in the dramatic 3 story flop shot. There ain't no pictures on the score card.

I've holed out more often with the 36 then the 42.

Full disclosure, I'm a bogey golfer and those clubs have covered my poor drives and/or approach shots.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

Yes he is and loving it. I played with him last Saturday and tried it again myself a couple of times. Good results both times. Granted I was just off the green a little bit and could have accomplished the similar results, I think; with one of my wedges or even a putter perhaps. But the SS feels good to me. Then on Sunday by buddy called to tell me he made his first eagle using the SS from about 10 yds off the green and sank it.

• Like 2

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour