Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Snell MTB Black & Red

hckymeyer

To you guys and the other MTB Red testers out there, how does the cover feel to you? The Black to me feels fairly soft but not too soft were it seem like its going to have a cut in it after 2 or 3 wedge shots

Thanks to our endless Ohio winter, all I've had a chance to do is chip and putt in my basement (about 20 feet). They feel pretty nice, but the sound off my wedge and putter is quite a bit "clickier" then I expected, especially with the wedge.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great start fellas! Been waiting for this thread, as I'm considering picking up some of these this season.

Oh, and @theedpatt those black and blue Cobra irons are gorgeous!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I tried the Get Sum and MTB last year and really liked them. Excited to hear what all the testers think about both of these offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Callaway XR16

Callaway X2Hot 3Deep

Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4 hybrids

Cobra Amp Cell 5-GW

Titleist SM6 54 and 58

SeeMore X2 

Awesome to see you over here dude!

Heard so many good things I had to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Callaway XR16

Callaway X2Hot 3Deep

Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4 hybrids

Cobra Amp Cell 5-GW

Titleist SM6 54 and 58

SeeMore X2 

Great start fellow spies. I still play the original MTB's which I love at a good price. Love the performance, hope to read how these new offerings have improved.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Just ordered a sample pack myself. Going to see if either can knock the TP5x out of the bag

That is one of the balls I am putting up against the MTB Black

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Great start fellas! Been waiting for this thread, as I'm considering picking up some of these this season.

Oh, and @theedpatt those black and blue Cobra irons are gorgeous!

Thanks man!! They feel as awesome as they look and the Black hasn't shown any wear

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

@HighontheHog's Stage 1 for the MTB Black is up and rolling! Check it out!!

To MTB Red testers out there, how does the cover feel to you? The Black to me feels fairly soft but not too soft were it seem like its going to have a cut in it after 2 or 3 wedge shots

To me the MTB RED is slightly harder than ProV1, and I mean slightly.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

attachicon.gifIMG_1309.JPG

STAGE 1 - Snell MTB Red {April 3, 2018}

First I would like to thank MGS & Dean Snell for this awesome opportunity. This is something im really looking forward to and hope I do it justice. I'm one of the older guys on MGS and am looking forward to trying the new Snell Red balls! I'm 71 and still kickin “kinda.” Born & raised in Central Connecticut for 65 years until my retirement. We now live in Florida, The Villages for the past 6+ years. Our last 3 years in CT were snow, cold, freezing rain & more snow which made our move south easy.

My wife and I have 2 daughters and 4 grandchildren who still live in CT and we FaceTime often. I was a hunting and fishing guy most of my life but work and family was consuming and I had to give that up. Golf came later in life, my late 40's. I realized that golf was in my future when golf was the sport and discussion of choice for sales calls to existing customers and other manufacturing peers. I gave it a try and never looked back, I was hooked! Played as much as I could, every decent weekend and Thursday afternoons after 2:00 I would “disappear.” We, my wife and I were also volunteers every year at TPC Cromwell. I did mostly inside-the-ropes tee and green 8th hole, SWMBO did mostly green duty as there was plenty of shade around the 8th.

Now that we live in a golfing community, I play 4 times a week with groups of like-minded seniors who also love the game. Some say it's a drinking community with a golfing problem, but seriously we love our golf in The Villages! Over the years I've lost a lot of distance, current driver speed low 80's (as of last week) so I rely on my short game, especially putting. I have a natural low ball flight and the Ping G driver and Ping G400 irons help me achieve a better ball flight. We'll see how the Snell Reds perform, I've got a good feeling about them.

FL State Handicap; 15 (&LH)

Driver; Ping G, Senior graphite Ping shaft

Woods; Tour Edge 4 & 5 hybrid, Senior graphite shafts

Irons; Ping G400, Senior graphite Ping shafts

Putter; MLA PRO X-Dream (for now, subject to change)

Current balls: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro V1 & Titleist AVX

attachicon.gifIMG_2065.JPG

Cart & Clubs ready to go!!

I'm excited to be testing the Snell MTB Red and can't wait to see how it stacks up against my current ball, Titleist Pro V1 & Callaway Chrome Soft. Like every golfer I'm not only after distance from the driver but also a high ball flight on the irons, feel/control on shots around the green. I get mostly the distance from the Pro V1 but not a lot of height. The Chrome Soft I do get a bit more height and more spin around the green. Both balls putt really well maybe a slight edge to the Pro V1. My current drive Ping G and G400 irons both promote a high ball flight that I'm looking for.

I have a really good feeling about the Snell MTB RED.attachicon.gifIMG_2084.JPG

USPS did their job now got to do mine!

attachicon.gifIMG_2089.JPG

Be careful of plain packaging!!I

attachicon.gifIMG_2090.JPG

Hmmmm, how is this going to turn out?

I was surprised at the quality appearance of the ball. Packaging is plain but efficient. I never had to hit a box so doesn't matter to me. Ball graphics are clean, crisp and tell u everything u need to know, this ball means business!

Next stop head to head putting against the ProV1 & Chrome Soft followed by Dean Snell recommendation, Exec 9 and see how they play.

attachicon.gifIMG_7479.PNG

attachicon.gifIMG_7480.PNG

IMG_2091.JPG

Stage 2......

Rick

Left Hand, 

You guys are bringing some awesome intros to the community!  I'll be sucking down that stage two info on the reds like a mule in a corn bin  ;)

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

To MTB Red testers out there, how does the cover feel to you? The Black to me feels fairly soft but not too soft were it seem like its going to have a cut in it after 2 or 3 wedge shots

The RED is very durable. I had 44 holes into one ball and it looked like new. I was planning on retiring it after 45 holes but it “committed suicide” into a pond at hole 45.

Kinda giving a look at my Stage 2 but you asked

Rick

Left Hand, 

Alright guys, my stage 1 is up and I'm ready to go. Now if only this weather would cooperate with me! :-) I have gotten out and gotten a few rounds in with the MTB Black....but that will all come in the Stage 2. Looking forward to sharing my thoughts :-)

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Just completed my Stage-1. Please check it out and don't be shy with any comments or questions. Also I'm actively working on stage-2 so stay tuned Spies!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Cover feels & sounds "hard" to me compared directly with my E6 Softs.. These red's definitely have a PV1 feel and sound to them at least initially to me and my semi-untrained ear hole. I love the sound of them though so far and the "feel" is certainly something I need more time to figure out, though first impressions are very positive.

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

STAGE 1 - Snell MTB Red, March 25th, 2018 

Okay, I'm not gonna lie to y'all here, I love Snell golf balls. I traded my Srixon Z-Star three years ago and have never looked back, away or even sideways. I read a story about small golf ball companies on MGS and started looking. The MTB fit the profile and I bit.

My story. It isn't a cute little boy's story or warm a cuddly. My “father” was a club pro. He was a $*%# and i learned nothing from him about golf.  However, on my twelfth birthday a set of junior clubs in a little red bag showed up at my house. They were from him and i think i used them two times.

Fast forward…

attachicon.gifIMG_1394 2.JPGMy girlfriend, now wife of nearly 23 years,  thought it would be fun to take me to a par three in Greensboro, NC to play some golf. I was bitten. I became a range rat and a frequent at some of the courses in the area. Wasn't long before I traded those Junior clubs, dropped at my door, for a couple knock off clubs (Driver and 3W) to go with the $100 dollar set of Titleist Accushnet irons I would play for 3 or 4 years..

Replaced them with a beloved set of off-the-rack, brand new Tommy Armor 845's. Man, those were great sticks.

Had a kid and took ten years off playing while working and raising a beautiful son. 

attachicon.gifIMG_1352.JPG

The recession hit, I went back to school and became a Registered Nurse. Three days, well nights, a week. Perfect for my new, renewed obsession. GOLF. I worked these last 5+ years to get my scores down and Handicap to around an 8 and continuing to decrease….even if it doesn't seem that way some days. I think about or actively play this game as often as possible. Instead of counting sheep I replay rounds to see where I can improve. I am a Walking Golfer. I read about the game and how courses are designed and even learned to knit so I could make my own headcovers. I know a great percentage of people reading this are probably in the same boat. All In.

Now my bagit's not fancy but it is very functional:

Driver: Mizuno MX500 (old Driver, I have a hard time pushing it out of the bag)]

Fairway: Titleist 910F (trusty)

Hybrid: Adams Red 3 hybrid

Irons: Titleist 714 CB's 3-PW with Project X rifle 6.5 shafts

Wedges: Cleveland 50* RTX 588 2.0 and an old 56* 588 RTG with a BestGrips leather grip

Putter: EvnRoll ER2 33” (Thanks Adam, I bought in)

There are very few clubs that come and go. I realize the Driver & 3W probably need a bit of an update. But….functionality over form. The putter was a huge departure for me and I do adore it (Thanks to Adam's rant).

Sun Mountain Speed Cart with a SM Sync bag. Perfect combo for walking these hills at the University of Georgia GC. I play Snell MTB…well I did before these new balls came out. More on that later.

I like to have a good, even tempo. Recently, my ball striking is a mystery. Whether it is due to tempo or whatever I haven't the foggiest idea. As a result, my language is becoming increasingly course (I am also a former active duty Marine, so I've got that going for me). Those guys who look and swing so smoothly and effortlessly are my envy. I don't know if if I am swinging harder as I approach my 50's to compensate or I am just losing my swing / mind. 

The Truth is, this game is an evil mistress, but sunny days in Georgia will return. We are never very far away from a day that we can get out and play. So as my irons are hampering me a bit, my creative (not Phil-like) short game that is pretty damn solid will keep me in the game.

attachicon.gifIMG_1353 2.jpg

I love this post! SO well done!!!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

I can't wait to get to the course and get a technical review and testing done. I have played the Reds against the OG-MTB but I want to see the test results from Dean's suggested testing guidelines

Official Forum Member Review - Snell MTB Black & Red

STAGE 1 - Snell MTB Red, March 25th, 2018

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/22972-Official-Forum-Member-Review---Snell-MTB-Black-%26-Red/page__view__findpost__p__387071

I've played with Scott and let me tell you, he can golf his ball!   Very solid ball striker and fun to tee it up with.  Make sure you click on that link and check er out.  Great job!

Cleveland

You guys are a BAD influence.  :D   Especially that guy named Rickp as he is a senior like myself and the RED sounds good enough for me to give em a test run.  Just ordered a dozen off Amazon. 

Cleveland

Very excited to see everyone's stage 2 and just how different or similar the Red and Black are

Alright guys, my stage 1 is up and I'm ready to go. Now if only this weather would cooperate with me! :-) I have gotten out and gotten a few rounds in with the MTB Black....but that will all come in the Stage 2. Looking forward to sharing my thoughts :-)

I am the same way with the weather.  I am ready to try the Black out and compare it to the currect ball I use to see how it stacks up

I am the same way with the weather. I am ready to try the Black out and compare it to the currect ball I use to see how it stacks up

Yeah I've played it for 2 rounds already. Bit the greens haven't been cut really yet, so around the green has been tough to judge...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Snow Snow....go awaaaay...... Got a couple inches of snow last night. Should be gone in a day or two. Golf this weekend for sure! 70* coming! :-) 

Maybe when this rain stops and now that The Master's is over I can get out and do my testing.

yea it's nasty with drizzle this morning however tomorrow the good weather returns!  I have a dozen of Reds in my truck waiting to be hit...  :D

Cleveland

Archived