TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Snell MTB Black & Red

hckymeyer

What a great group of testers! I have really enjoyed the stage ones so far and look forward to the results.

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried the MTB Red this past weekend and it doesn't feel any more "firm" than the black to me, but I only have one round with each so far. It does seem to spin more off of mid irons and wedges though. Fun video below, I didn't expect this to be on the green at all, but it was pin high and about 12 feet away. If you follow me on IG you already saw it lol B)

https://youtu.be/_pPZpoQUym0

I have only tried the Red and right now do not have any Blacks for comparison. Hope to remedy that later.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I tried the MTB Red this past weekend and it doesn't feel any more "firm" than the black to me, but I only have one round with each so far. It does seem to spin more off of mid irons and wedges though. Fun video below, I didn't expect this to be on the green at all, but it was pin high and about 12 feet away. If you follow me on IG you already saw it lol  B)

Inquiring minds want to know... Did you make the putt?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Inquiring minds want to know... Did you make the putt?

Nah, the greens were aerated and didn't grow back in yet. It was like putting on a cheese grater, our balls were bouncing all over the place. Also, I suck.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Nah, the greens were aerated and didn't grow back in yet. It was like putting on a cheese grater, our balls were bouncing all over the place. Also, I suck.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

:blink:

On another note I played a Red today and was quite impressed.  Especially off the tee as that puppy will bark.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

:blink:

On another note I played a Red today and was quite impressed. Especially off the tee as that puppy will bark.

As the quote goes, “Better than most”!

Rick

Left Hand, 

1798851_10202466584497283_1123768549_n.jpg

• What's my story? My golf story began at the age of 10 with a cut-down  7 iron, a few swing lessons, and a desire to beat my 3 brothers, especially in golf.  It took a few years, and some additional clubs  but my passion for learning the game and playing to my potential exists today, and yea, I still enjoying beating my brothers any chance I get. :lol:
  • Where do I play?I play in the beautiful Pacific Northwest at a course that is known for  its multiple fir trees, narrow fairways, and challenging greens. Did I mention the rain and wet conditions?fullsizeoutput_13bf.jpeg  If not, yes, that's part of our course.  Balls plug and muddy, thick rough can make even the most ardent fan a snow-bird heading for warmer climates come October.  However, we take what we can get, and long, dry fairways are few and far between. We also get some snow now and then, but I'm crazy dedicated, and practice no matter the conditions.IMG_5320.JPG
  • What kind of golfer am I?  If I score well at my home course, my game will travel most anywhere.  Because I am dedicated obsessed with the game, I spend a lot of time tweaking my equipment, and I'm always looking for a few more yards. I added a new Ping GLE driver with a lite shaft to help off the tee, and my irons and fairway woods are Callaway Big Berthas.  I love my Cra-Z Ping putter, and have no plans to replace that anytime soon, but I'm always a sucker for new technology!
  • My strength and weakness in the game:  This past year, my handicap index crept up to a 12.1 from a 9,7.  I don't mind a few extra strokes while competing with my friends, but some of my swing issues this year off the tee hindered my distance, and I was forced to scramble to save par bogey. My strength is my short game and I work continually on my chipping, pitching, and putting. 
  • Typical Ball Fight:  I play a natural draw, which is nice when I need a right to left shot.  However, after attending golf school, my grip was changed, and now, it's tough for me to feel consistent.  (Thanks, Martin Chuck). I know the change will be worth it (???) if I stick with it, but my typical strength is my short game, and feel.  Misses, would be a draw that turns into a pull/hook.  
  • Swing Tempo:   I play a senior shaft in my driver, as my average swing speed is 74 MPH.  I am working on adding some MPH to that speed, but age seems to be winning that contest!
  • What in the bag?   As for balls, don't think I'm too proud to play pink, because I'm not. (See ball in cup on hole in one!)  IMG_2819.JPG  love pink and have played the Volvik, Bridgestone,  the Precept all types, really. Last year, I played Bridgestone E6 for it's feel and to match my swing speed of 75 MPH.  I like a soft feel off the driver club face yet, a bit of firmness when struck around the green.  Sound and feel rank high with me  as spinning the ball is not a skill that I've mastered with any degree of consistency.
  • My goal: I intend to play the Snell Red on my wet, muddy course, and compare the results side by side with several other balls that find their way in my bag.  I am looking for distance and feel and will keep a log of my hits, misses, and overall impressions while playing. This ball will find it's way to my practice green and I will put it through the rigors of sand, chipping, pitching, and short game skills.  That is my strength, and I know what I like when I'm working around the green. Golf is a game of misses.  When I began the game, I use to consider it a good day if I didn't run out of golf balls!  Thankfully, those days are over I'm excited  for the opportunity to test the Snell ball and provide feedback for who wish to better their game and lessen those misses

Attached Images

• msg-75044-0-51098000-1521744689.jpegHole in one at "childhood" course, Yakima Country Club, September, 2018.  

fullsizeoutput_147a.jpeg

:ping-small:

Driver:  Ping G LE
:callaway-small: Irons:  Callaway Big Bertha
Callaway X Hot
:ping-small: Putter:  Ping Crazee

:lol:

Golf shoe:  hundreds!

B)

Outfits:  Too many to count

Well done on your intro!

Cleveland

Congrats on the Ace. Go Huskies!

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I played my entire round today with a RED and I was impressed to say the least.  I don't know what they put in that ball however it's hotter than a two dollar pistol!  :blink:  No doubt I'm becoming a fan and this could be my gamer ball.   I hit at least three drives today that were close to the 250 mark.  Paired with my new Ping G400 Max which by the way, I'm hitting better on the course than I did in the hitting bay at Club Champion, this combo is lethal! It gave me all the green side action I need and felt smooth as vanilla ice cream on hot apple pie.  :)  Great balls! 

Cleveland

Weather forecast is for 70 degree temps this week.  The course may still  play like a wet carpet in a flood, but at least it will be a "warm" wet carpet.  Lots of testing with the Snell ball this week and my review will be forthcoming.  I look forward to adding to my review now that the sun is out.

Callaway X Hot

B)

Woof!

Callaway X Hot

B)

I hope I don't get kicked out of the forum for making a comment in a Official Review Post. But here goes...

I've played the original MTB and really liked it. I can't decide which one to order this next time. Maybe both. Perhaps everyone's reviews will help. Just yesterday a guy (I'll call him idiot guy) playing in our game (who by the way fancies himself as a much better player than he is) found a Snell and threw it over the fence. I asked why he did that and he exclaimed it was some sort of crap ball. (it appeared to be fairly new to me) Idiot guy then went on to exclaim PV1 is the only ball that fits his game. LOL What an ignoramus. BTW - this blow-hard went on to shoot an 88 and got swept in all his bets for the day.  

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I hope I don't get kicked out of the forum for making a comment in a Official Review Post. But here goes...

I've played the original MTB and really liked it. I can't decide which one to order this next time. Maybe both. Perhaps everyone's reviews will help. Just yesterday a guy (I'll call him idiot guy) playing in our game (who by the way fancies himself as a much better player than he is) found a Snell and threw it over the fence. I asked why he did that and he exclaimed it was some sort of crap ball. (it appeared to be fairly new to me) Idiot guy then went on to exclaim PV1 is the only ball that fits his game. LOL What an ignoramus. BTW - this blow-hard went on to shoot an 88 and got swept in all his bets for the day.

Agree, Guy is a Moron. If he knew what he had he would have cleaned it and put it in his bag.

When I'm done with Red Test I've got a couple of guys who want my “leftovers”.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I would imagine not UCONN huskies

Colleges should never have same mascot/name.

Good luck to both of them

Rick

Left Hand, 

Played a much better round yesterday using the MTB Red mostly. Finally starting to get some solid data to compile & share for my Stage-2 unlike the week before where nuthin' was working... :huh: . More to come as I continue on this journey and thanks again MGS!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I would imagine not UCONN huskies

Colleges should never have same mascot/name.

Good luck to both of them

She's CLEARLY referring to the St. Cloud State Huskies. 😉

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

She's CLEARLY referring to the St. Cloud State Huskies.

uh oh, good luck to the 3 of them

Rick

Left Hand, 

So I have only had a chance to putt balls inside with these, but when comparing them, the Red definitely elicits a slightly higher pitch off the putter than the Black.  The pitch of the Red is very similar to the Srixon XV.  The pitch on the black off the putter is a little lower than the TP5x.

Thus, in order of low pitch to high pitch (perceived softness) off my putter it is

MTB Black

TP5x

MTB Red/Srixon XV

So I have only had a chance to putt balls inside with these, but when comparing them, the Red definitely elicits a slightly higher pitch off the putter than the Black.  The pitch of the Red is very similar to the Srixon XV.  The pitch on the black off the putter is a little lower than the TP5x.

Thus, in order of low pitch to high pitch (perceived softness) off my putter it is

MTB Black

TP5x

MTB Red/Srixon XV

Agreed on the Red. It sounds harder than it actually feels, IMO.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

So I have only had a chance to putt balls inside with these, but when comparing them, the Red definitely elicits a slightly higher pitch off the putter than the Black. The pitch of the Red is very similar to the Srixon XV. The pitch on the black off the putter is a little lower than the TP5x.

MTB Black

TP5x

MTB Red/Srixon XV

If you can putt the Red & ProV1 side by side and let me know what you think. It should be outside if possible.

Rick

Left Hand, 

My 2 dozen MTB Red in Optic yellow arrived yesterday, a day early. Can't wait to get them out for a test drive.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

1798851_10202466584497283_1123768549_n.jpg

• What's my story? My golf story began at the age of 10 with a cut-down 7 iron, a few swing lessons, and a desire to beat my 3 brothers, especially in golf. It took a few years, and some additional clubs but my passion for learning the game and playing to my potential exists today, and yea, I still enjoying beating my brothers any chance I get. :lol:
  • Where do I play?I play in the beautiful Pacific Northwest at a course that is known for its multiple fir trees, narrow fairways, and challenging greens. Did I mention the rain and wet conditions? fullsizeoutput_13bf.jpeg If not, yes, that's part of our course. Balls plug and muddy, thick rough can make even the most ardent fan a snow-bird heading for warmer climates come October. However, we take what we can get, and long, dry fairways are few and far between. We also get some snow now and then, but I'm crazy dedicated, and practice no matter the conditions. IMG_5320.JPG
  • What kind of golfer am I? If I score well at my home course, my game will travel most anywhere. Because I am dedicated obsessed with the game, I spend a lot of time tweaking my equipment, and I'm always looking for a few more yards. I added a new Ping GLE driver with a lite shaft to help off the tee, and my irons and fairway woods are Callaway Big Berthas. I love my Cra-Z Ping putter, and have no plans to replace that anytime soon, but I'm always a sucker for new technology!
  • My strength and weakness in the game: This past year, my handicap index crept up to a 12.1 from a 9,7. I don't mind a few extra strokes while competing with my friends, but some of my swing issues this year off the tee hindered my distance, and I was forced to scramble to save par bogey. My strength is my short game and I work continually on my chipping, pitching, and putting. fullsizeoutput_147a.jpeg
  • Typical Ball Fight: I play a natural draw, which is nice when I need a right to left shot. However, after attending golf school, my grip was changed, and now, it's tough for me to feel consistent. (Thanks, Martin Chuck). I know the change will be worth it (???) if I stick with it, but my typical strength is my short game, and feel. Misses, would be a draw that turns into a pull/hook.
  • Swing Tempo: I play a senior shaft in my driver, as my average swing speed is 74 MPH. I am working on adding some MPH to that speed, but age seems to be winning that contest!
  • What in the bag? As for balls, don't think I'm too proud to play pink, because I'm not. (See ball in cup on hole in one!) IMG_2819.JPG love pink and have played the Volvik, Bridgestone, the Precept all types, really. Last year, I played Bridgestone E6 for it's feel and to match my swing speed of 75 MPH. I like a soft feel off the driver club face yet, a bit of firmness when struck around the green. Sound and feel rank high with me as spinning the ball is not a skill that I've mastered with any degree of consistency.
  • My goal: I intend to play the Snell Red on my wet, muddy course, and compare the results side by side with several other balls that find their way in my bag. I am looking for distance and feel and will keep a log of my hits, misses, and overall impressions while playing. This ball will find it's way to my practice green and I will put it through the rigors of sand, chipping, pitching, and short game skills. That is my strength, and I know what I like when I'm working around the green. Golf is a game of misses. When I began the game, I use to consider it a good day if I didn't run out of golf balls! Thankfully, those days are over I'm excited for the opportunity to test the Snell ball and provide feedback for who wish to better their game and lessen those misses

Attached Images

• msg-75044-0-51098000-1521744689.jpegHole in one at "childhood" course, Yakima Country Club, September, 2018.

Great intro!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

My 2 dozen MTB Red in Optic yellow arrived yesterday, a day early. Can't wait to get them out for a test drive.

Would be nice to have the MTB Black in a yellow option too.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

If you can putt the Red & ProV1 side by side and let me know what you think. It should be outside if possible.

Tested this morning. MTB has an ever so slightly higher pitch than the standard prov1 and thus feels a tad bit firmer off of my putter

Tested this morning. MTB has an ever so slightly higher pitch than the standard prov1 and thus feels a tad bit firmer off of my putter

Agreed, ever so slight is right! I was surprised at how similar.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Archived