TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Snell MTB Black & Red

hckymeyer

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I gave the Blacks a bit of a run Thursday and I have to say there is little difference between the two, especially on a bad ball striking day. They do feel a little less "heavy" off the driver than the Red, although I dont mind the feel of the Red off the tee either. Distance, it was a poor ball striking day for the most part, was similar.

I can say that on a par three where I hit a Red a few days before the ball flew a couple yards further on a lovely strike (both days). The Blacks further distance got me in a bit of trouble. But nothing I couldn't get out of with The aid of my awesome Evnroll ER2. Damn I love that putter.

On another approach where I yanked/ hooked my 3w off the tee, put me behind a tree and I had to keep it low-ish and carve it was an amazing shot that bounced, hopped straight up and stuck. It was freaking awesome.

I'll have more soon, maybe with a new Mizuno ST180 to test off the tee.

Dean, these balls are GREAT! My friend received the test pack I sent as a thank you gift and I hope I made a convert. I don't know why anyone wouldn't at least give these two balls a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

So I gave the Blacks a bit of a run Thursday and I have to say there is little difference between the two, especially on a bad ball striking day. They do feel a little less "heavy" off the driver than the Red, although I dont mind the feel of the Red off the tee either. Distance, it was a poor ball striking day for the most part, was similar.

I can say that on a par three where I hit a Red a few days before the ball flew a couple yards further on a lovely strike (both days). The Blacks further distance got me in a bit of trouble. But nothing I couldn't get out of with The aid of my awesome Evnroll ER2. Damn I love that putter.

On another approach where I yanked/ hooked my 3w off the tee, put me behind a tree and I had to keep it low-ish and carve it was an amazing shot that bounced, hopped straight up and stuck. It was freaking awesome.

I'll have more soon, maybe with a new Mizuno ST180 to test off the tee.

Dean, these balls are GREAT! My friend received the test pack I sent as a thank you gift and I hope I made a convert. I don't know why anyone wouldn't at least give these two balls a shot.

Good write up. Like you I'm also going to give the Blacks a run. I want to try the Blacks especially on windy day. For some reason I think they may fare better than Red, for me.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Intro

Alright so now I have quite a few rounds under my belt with the Snell MTB Black and have compared it to my gamer, the Srixon Z Star, as well as some late round testing against the new Titleist AVX golf ball.  My core testing process consisted of mostly playing live rounds of golf vs. simulators so that I could see real world flight and short game characteristics.  I hit multiple shots with the Snell and other balls side by side and comparing how each reacted to on course situations from driver to approach shots to chipping and putting.  The on course testing and multiple rounds gave a great test of durability for the Snell.  I really had a great time giving this ball a proper test and hope others gain something from my comparisons.

Looks & Durability - 14 out of 15 points (when comparing it to other white colored balls), 10 out of 15 points (when comparing it to the yellow Srixon ball)

I've never been the type to really care what the packaging of the golf ball I play looks like but I did actually liked the simple and understated black box the MTB Black comes in.  It has a very Will Smith/Tommy Lee Jones Men in Black (MIB) feel.  MIB and MTB…coincidence?

attachicon.gifMIB2.jpg

The ball itself has a top shelf premium glossy urethane look and feel that stands toe to toe with any top end premium ball.  Of course I would still prefer the yellow as I previously stated in my Stage 1 review but the white does look good fresh from the package.  The main logo has a cool font and the splash of red adds color but doesn't make it too gawdy of a logo or seem like it is a logo overrun ball.  The alignment aid down the side is nice and wide (which I like) but I always fill in the side line with a black pen to make it appear solid.  I just prefer this style when lining up my putts.

attachicon.gifSide_Logo.jpg

Durability started out pretty good overall and the ball stayed new looking for most of the first half of the round.  I did start to notice however that the clear coat seemed to disappear towards the end of the round and the dirt and marks became a little harder to clean off.  The urethane cover itself remained very cut and scuff free but the clear coat seemed to fade away a little quickly and the ball took on more of a matte finish.  After 2-3 rounds the ball was very dull looking.

(I'll insert a side by side of a new vs used ball soon…I lost the ball I was going to use in a stupid creek)

I did end up eventually hitting a cart path as well as some tree branches and the Snell showed marks from both just like every other premium ball does.  It didn't wow me with impact or mark resistance but it didn't let down my expectations either.  The main point is it kept up with all the balls that cost more.  Irons and wedges did leave some slit marks after some well struck shots but the cover wasn't deeply cut or damaged.  I didn't feel the need to take the ball out of play for any of the groove cuts.

Overall I put it right up there with the other premium WHITE balls.  Since I usually play the yellow Srixon I can't say it did quite as well because I think the yellow colored Srixon balls are the most durable premium golf balls on the market.  They are basically bullet proof and absorb just about anything you can give them.  I routinely have played 2-4 rounds on the same ball without it starting to look and feel as dull as the white balls get.  This is why I gave the Snell two different scores above.

Sound & Feel (12 out of 15 points)

The Snell MTB Black has a firmer, crisper sound than the Srixon ZStar.  Both balls feel heavier and denser than the Titleist AVX.  I broke down the sound and feel based on the various clubs in the bag.  Overall I prefer a slightly softer feeling ball than the Black but it didn't offend me in any way.

Putter:

• Slightly firmer/denser feel from the Snell compared to the ZStar.  The AVX felt the softest and lightest
  • AVX was most quiet off the putter followed by the ZStar and then Snell (sound is feel)
  • Snell seemed to come off the face a little faster than the ZStar with the AVX coming off the fastest
  • If I putted the ZStar to the hole, the Snell would travel approx. 4”-5” further with the same stroke and the AVX would travel approx. another 1” or so.
  • ZStar felt best off of mis-hits followed by Snell.  AVX was almost too soft to detect slight mis-hits

Irons/Wedges:

• Similar to putter, Snell was firmest followed by ZStar and then AVX.
  • Although firmest, the ball doesn't feel hard or clicky but more solid and meaty feeling. 
  • The AVX feels very light and springy and feels like it has much more ballspeed coming off the face.  AVX gave the impression you could swing easier and let the ball do all the work.  Hitting the Snell directly after the AVX made the Snell feel like it had to be hit “harder” due to its meatier feel.  The ZStar was in between the two and was a goldilocks feeling of “just right”.
Driver:

• The driver made the loudest sound with the Snell which confirms the slightly harder feel.  The ZStar was quieter with the AVX being the quietest. 
  • AVX really feels like it jumps off the driver.  The Snell and ZStar felt like they stayed on the face a bit longer.
  • Again it felt like you had to hit the Snell harder after hitting the AVX because the AVX felt so light and springy.

On-Course Performance (45 out of 50 points)

The first and most important thing I noticed about the on-course performance was the ball flight was significantly LOWER than I'm used to seeing.  When PGA pros talk about hitting shots in various “windows” I can compare and say that the Snell MTB Black hit lower than the flight windows I'm normally used to seeing.  This had both some positive and negative aspects and some of the performance was due to this lower flight.

• Off the Tee – I hit the MTB plenty far and equal in distance to the ZStar but, because of the lower flight, found my carry distance was shorter.  I also think I had lower spin with the Snell and AVX compared to the ZStar. When I played firmer fairways I got a ton of extra roll and hit some massive tee shots in overall distance but could tell that it was more roll based. The AVX also flies lower and rolls more than the ZStar.  I added a degree of loft to my driver to get the same height I would get from the ZStar at standard loft.  When I added the extra loft and got some additional height, the Snell hit some of the longest drives of the three balls.  All were pretty close overall though.
  • Approach – The lower ball flight also carried over to my approach shots and on some longer iron shots I had trouble holding firmer greens.  I feel like I was also getting lower spin so I saw more shots than I'd like hit the green and roll off the back.  Mid and short irons had enough spin and holding the green was not as much of a problem, even with the lower flight.  AVX also had this same problem even though it felt softer.
  • Around the Green – The Snell and ZStar performed the best on half wedges and chips as the spin seemed higher on both than the AVX.  All 3 balls had similar trajectory on half wedges but the AVX didn't check up as quickly and I had to allow for more roll with it.
  • Putting – I think the sound/feel section above summarizes putting with each ball.  Each came off the face differently and once I adjusted to the speed it was easy to putt with any of them.  I felt like the ZStar was the perfect middle feel between the firmer Snell and the softer AVX.
  • Ball Flight – Did I mention low?  I will definitely mention that even though I saw a lower flight, the flight was perfectly consistent and perfectly dependable.  The Snell didn't get affected by wind nearly as much and I could count on every shot looking exactly the same.  Very, very consisten performance from the Snell MTB.

Game Bag or Shag Bag? (15 out of 20 points)

I'm not really sure how to give a point value to whether or not I would game this ball or not.  I could easily play this ball and make it work for sure.  The consistency was something I could count on and it did everything I wanted around the green.  Once I added some extra loft to my driver, I had no problem with the trajectory off of the tee but some people may not be using drivers that allow this change.  When it comes down to it, the only reason I probably wouldn't play this ball would be due to the lower trajectory and spin I saw on long iron approach shots into greens.  After my review I am pretty sure the MTB Red would fit me perfectly and I'm now probably going to give that a go to see if that's the case or not.

If you hit the ball high already and maybe are a higher spin player with the driver then you will love this ball.  It's dependable, consistent, feels good and offers great short game performance.  People who play insert putters will also enjoy the feel and feedback from the putter since it feels dense and meaty.   

attachicon.gifmeaty.jpeg

Conclusion

The TLDR Version:

• Snell felt firmer/denser on all clubs than the ZStar and AVX.
  • Snell had a lower flight that rolled more off the driver than ZStar but similar to AVX.
  • Snell was VERY dependable and predictable and not affected much by wind.  ZStar is also great in wind but flies higher.  AVX is in the middle.
  • I needed more spin and higher trajectory on long iron approach shots than the MTB and AVX gave me.
  • Very good spin on half wedge shots and chips.  ZStar and Snell tied with AVX not stopping quite as quickly.
  • Based on other people's reviews, I'm going to give the MTB Red a try to see if it brings up my trajectory some.

Final Score: (86 out of 100) – This score seems lower than perhaps it should be but I really enjoy this ball and really look forward to continue to use it.  I'll give the MTB Red a try next.

Titleist 910 7.5 driver,callaway 48,56 degree wedges.ping g irons 5-pw purple dot.19,21 degree titleist 913 hybrids.

Not sure if you did this on purpose to aggravate people, or you hold your laptop/tablet 3 inches from your face. :wacko:

I have a magnifying glass somewhere in the house, but I'm not going to spend an hour finding it just to read your post.

Hit control plus it will expand everything

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Don't bother. It's a copy and paste of 03trdblack's Stage 2. I'm still having trouble figuring out the purpose..... unless it was a failed quote

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Sorry for the copy and paste, i just wanted to reply. The word dense was used as a reference to the Snell ball. I used heavy as my word in an earlier post which brought confusion to some. I like the word dense better. I felt the same way

Titleist 910 7.5 driver,callaway 48,56 degree wedges.ping g irons 5-pw purple dot.19,21 degree titleist 913 hybrids.

I would say a full club is certainly enough to grab your attention :blink:

I'm going to post this on “How did you play” thread also. Played 18 this morning and at 8:00 NO WIND at all nothing! Started out with the Red. Everything was fine hitting ball OK, in fact quite well then around 7th hole here comes the wind. Every shot coming up short Driver thru irons. Switched to ProV1 and distance improved. This is not my imagination as these are the same guys I play with 2-3 times a week and know what's going on. Some Testers did not have a problem like I do so it's me and something with the ball.

I'm planning on driving the Blacks around the block this summer and see what happens.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I'm going to post this on “How did you play” thread also. Played 18 this morning and at 8:00 NO WIND at all nothing! Started out with the Red. Everything was fine hitting ball OK, in fact quite well then around 7th hole here comes the wind. Every shot coming up short Driver thru irons. Switched to ProV1 and distance improved. This is not my imagination as these are the same guys I play with 2-3 times a week and know what's going on. Some Testers did not have a problem like I do so it's me and something with the ball.

I'm planning on driving the Blacks around the block this summer and see what happens.

That sounds like pretty clear evidence.  Looking forward in your personal testing of the MTB Black.  I am particularly interested in seeing if it suffers from wind like the Reds have.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

That sounds like pretty clear evidence.  Looking forward in your personal testing of the MTB Black.  I am particularly interested in seeing if it suffers from wind like the Reds have.  

I haven't tested the reds personally but from reading all the MTB Red and the other MTB Black testers reviews, I would anticipate the that wind issue won't be present or nearly as severe. Obviously everyone's experience is a little different though 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

It's not you dude. Playing the Red in 10+ mph winds was the most frustrating round of golf I had this year. Even trying to take more club and flight the ball down did not help. A combination of the spin model and dimple pattern do not make the red a good wind ball

I keep reading about spin and wind. Maybe, probably it is both for those that hit with a Lot of spin. I am pretty low spinning off the driver and would say just below on irons but I can't prove that.

I think people having problems with the wind have a high spinning swing/ strike and that is the effect your seeing. Myself I haven't see this to be a problem at all. Perhaps we need some numbers to prove the theory.

It's not you dude. Playing the Red in 10+ mph winds was the most frustrating round of golf I had this year. Even trying to take more club and flight the ball down did not help. A combination of the spin model and dimple pattern do not make the red a good wind ball

as I said below I think high spinning shots plus wind maybe the problem. I find that if I try to keep it low I often strike the ball and produce more spin.

I just can't do it. Just can't.

I played 36 yesterday, one with black, one with red. There are differences for sure. The Red looks better, the black is fine with maybe a tighter dimple pattern. The Black has a nice click off the irons but I do love the way the Red just "disappears" off irons. The Red has a heavier feel, off driver and irons and in hand (the last just could be in my head) but the Black feels great as well. Don't most balls feel good when Flushed? I use Titleist CB's and neither ball ever stung me or gave bad feedback when mishit. I can't really tell a difference with flight or distance and I am playing a very hilly course and working the ball up, down left and right. There were a few times when balls were longer than I expected with the Blacks, but was that me, ball, both. I even played a couple rounds recently with the OG-MTB, great ball. The new one's are just a bit better. Sad to me for the OG, I loved it.

While I may need more time to make a pick, I certainly am not losing anything and not enjoying the process less by playing either ball.

When I played with MattF a couple weeks ago, he gave me a sleeve of the original MTB's he had in his bag. I've had a couple weeks to compare it to the Red.

Distance-wise, I don't see much difference, especially given my inconsistency, but around the greens the original does not check up nearly as well as the Red. I would still say it is a quality ball, but it is clear to me that some improvements have been made.

I still need to get my hands on some Blacks to see what they do for me.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Have played the original MTB since it was released and it's a very consistent ball. Good distance, checks up nice off wedges, maybe 1-3 yard rollout with mid irons. Tried the Red and they had a heavy feel to me and wasn't as consistent distance wise. Found they curved a bit more off all my clubs. Loved the spin around greens but not a complete ball for all facets of my game. Also not a great wind ball IMHO. Playing the Black now and find them an improvement over the original MTB. Longer off all clubs and still checks up nicely and love the feel. For me, better for my game but both outstanding balls that can go head-to-head with any premium ball on the market. Snell has been my gamer since Dean started his company and will continue to be my go to ball!

Just bought some blacks. Hopefully they're better in the wind than the MTB Red

The blacks should be a much better/more comparable transition from the TP5x

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Dean, can you help? I want to like the Red, but the Black does not disappoint. Played two rounds this week with both and the biggest difference for me is the heaviness I feel from the Red. I don't dislike it but am sometimes surprised. All things here are equal, so I am having a hard time choosing. I love them both but need to find a way to pick.

Dean, can you help? I want to like the Red, but the Black does not disappoint. Played two rounds this week with both and the biggest difference for me is the heaviness I feel from the Red. I don't dislike it but am sometimes surprised. All things here are equal, so I am having a hard time choosing. I love them both but need to find a way to pick.

well there you go. I'll take black please. Thanks Dean!

https://youtu.be/yWuaLTcm2Nc

• 3 weeks later...

As I posted the Reds gave me a bit of trouble in windy conditions and as it seems more than other Red testers. I quietly picked up a sleeve of Blackies and waited until I had a windy day. That day arrived yesterday, back 9 wind picked and Blacks came out. Well big difference! The Black performed well as any ball I've played and the did not show the wind problem that the Red did for me.

I still need a few more holes to play this ball but preliminary results are great, I could call this a keeper.

Rick

Left Hand, 

As I posted the Reds gave me a bit of trouble in windy conditions and as it seems more than other Red testers. I quietly picked up a sleeve of Blackies and waited until I had a windy day. That day arrived yesterday, back 9 wind picked and Blacks came out. Well big difference! The Black performed well as any ball I've played and the did not show the wind problem that the Red did for me.

I still need a few more holes to play this ball but preliminary results are great, I could call this a keeper.

Did the Blacks provide similar feel around to green to you? That is my favorite thing about the Reds.

Did the Blacks provide similar feel around to green to you? That is my favorite thing about the Reds.

The Black around the green for me was just fine maybe not as soft a feel as Red but great for me. Driver distance was great. I really liked this ball. It looks like I chose the wrong ball (Red) to test.

Rick

Left Hand, 

The Black is softer than the Red, just as Dean says. Red is firmer with a bit more spin. For me, the Red is nice but wasn't as consistent as the Black as far as distance with all clubs, especially in the wind. Red felt “heavy” and clicky to me and didn't like the feel. Love the Blacks even more than the original MTB!

The Black is softer than the Red, just as Dean says. Red is firmer with a bit more spin. For me, the Red is nice but wasn't as consistent as the Black as far as distance with all clubs, especially in the wind. Red felt “heavy” and clicky to me and didn't like the feel. Love the Blacks even more than the original MTB!

That last thing is a strong statement

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I need to order some Blacks. I really liked the Reds and I've hit a few of the originals, which are also nice, imo.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I need to order some Blacks. I really liked the Reds and I've hit a few of the originals, which are also nice, imo.

You will not regret it.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Rick said it best that you'll not regret using the Blacks. This testing has been an eye opener for me in that golf balls of today have a ton of technology in them and finding one that fits your game & style is as important as having a fitted driver and irons. There are good ones and very bad ones (see the "Unofficial MGS Hard Rock Challenge" thread), and I believe one is better served to find one type of ball and stick with it since that choice is one of the few times we can inject some sort of consistency to our games. For me after testing the Reds here for MGS, I ordered a box of Blacks and instantly fell in love with them where I was not so in love with the Reds. Good off driver and their feel for me around the greens fits my style giving pretty darn good distance control and spin with stopping power. They're even better with my Glide wedges! I am sure you'll do well with them and am looking forward to hearing back from you with your report.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Rick said it best that you'll not regret using the Blacks. This testing has been an eye opener for me in that golf balls of today have a ton of technology in them and finding one that fits your game & style is as important as having a fitted driver and irons. There are good ones and very bad ones (see the "Unofficial MGS Hard Rock Challenge" thread), and I believe one is better served to find one type of ball and stick with it since that choice is one of the few times we can inject some sort of consistency to our games. For me after testing the Reds here for MGS, I ordered a box of Blacks and instantly fell in love with them where I was not so in love with the Reds. Good off driver and their feel for me around the greens fits my style giving pretty darn good distance control and spin with stopping power. They're even better with my Glide wedges! I am sure you'll do well with them and am looking forward to hearing back from you with your report.

I think the biggest eye-opener to me was that a hack like me can tell a difference between balls. Before testing the reds, I would have put money on the fact that the ball doesn't really matter to a mid to high handicap. Now I know it does and I need to find the right match. The red appears to be "it" for me, but I'm open to other balls, specifically the black.

I won a dozen AVX's from the MGS Facebook giveaway, but given their price point, they better not be "my" ball.

Archived