Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Snell MTB Black & Red

hckymeyer

I think the biggest eye-opener to me was that a hack like me can tell a difference between balls. Before testing the reds, I would have put money on the fact that the ball doesn't really matter to a mid to high handicap. Now I know it does and I need to find the right match. The red appears to be "it" for me, but I'm open to other balls, specifically the black.

I won a dozen AVX's from the MGS Facebook giveaway, but given their price point, they better not be "my" ball.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Give the Blacks a try, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I found a Red the other day and decided to give it a try. Just holding it in my hand, it was shiny, and plastic feeling..... like I had a Titleist DT Solo or NXT TOur in my hand. Hitting it had a somewhat soft feel to it, and I was getting a lot of height out of it....but no distance. I'm guessing just too much spin for me. I'll stick to the blacks myself. That ball is phenomenal. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Been playing the Black's exclusively now for over a month and have yet to be dissappointed by them. They perform very well into the wind (even off of driver) with no ballooning and their feel around the greens really matches what Dean states about this balls' performance. Also very durable with hardly any surface defects to the survivors that I've played full rounds with-twice now! B) 

This ball has certainly helped improve my game and gives me a positive level of confidence. They are the real deal for sure.

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the review! As a higher spin player, I may have to give these balls a shot!

Indeed! Please keep us posted if you do. My bet is you'll love them. Good luck and cheers!

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

I have used the original MTB, and when the MTB Red came out I jumped on the opportunity because the numbers showed that the Red had more spin than the original. I notice the higher spin around the greens, but also notice that spin comes into play with the driver. I am a higher spin player from 150 yards and in, and I really like the MTB Red's for that area of my game. The flip side of that is when I hit a drive off the toe, the MTB Red's seem to spin a lot more than the original. This is what makes me think I should try the MTB Black, but is the spin around the green noticeable between the two? Thanks!

Driver: Taylormade M2 FujiKura Pro 56 Stiff

3 Wood: Adams XTD 15ti Matrix 6Q3 Red Tie Stiff

Hybrid: Adams Pro DHY 21 Aldila Tour Stiff

Irons: 5-G Cobra King Forged One Length KBS Tour FLT 120 Stiff

Wedges: Cobra King One Length 56 - 60

Putter: Odyssey O-Works Red 1WS

Ball: Snell MTB Red

I've only found and played and messed around with one red, but I can tell you the black performed the same, if not better around the greens for me. That said, the short game is really where I shine....so to have good performance around the green is a normal thing. I will continue to emphasize that the black was definitely long off the tee for me. Something about that low spin and good feeling firmness that works...and works well.

I have used the original MTB, and when the MTB Red came out I jumped on the opportunity because the numbers showed that the Red had more spin than the original. I notice the higher spin around the greens, but also notice that spin comes into play with the driver. I am a higher spin player from 150 yards and in, and I really like the MTB Red's for that area of my game. The flip side of that is when I hit a drive off the toe, the MTB Red's seem to spin a lot more than the original. This is what makes me think I should try the MTB Black, but is the spin around the green noticeable between the two? Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I'm also one that continues to be impressed with this ball. From tee to green, both the red and black perform well. Feels good off the driver and for me, the black is comparable in distance to the AVX/CS Truvis. I can get mid irons to stop on the green just fine, and wedge shots, whether full or not, do what I need them to do. Now if I put an awful swing on the ball, its' going to find the woods, but with the performance and price point, I don't know if you'll find a better deal.

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

I'm also one that continues to be impressed with this ball. From tee to green, both the red and black perform well. Feels good off the driver and for me, the black is comparable in distance to the AVX/CS Truvis. I can get mid irons to stop on the green just fine, and wedge shots, whether full or not, do what I need them to do. Now if I put an awful swing on the ball, its' going to find the woods, but with the performance and price point, I don't know if you'll find a better deal.

Completely agree with all of this 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I love reading through this thread... I have only tried the original Snell MTB so far and am completely in love with the performance. I still have a box to work through, but will definitely be checking out the new line. From what I read here, it sounds like they definitely deliver. 

PING G400 LST  
Callaway 816 16*
Titleist TMB 3i DG AMT
Callaway Apex Pro Combo 4-PW w/PX 6.0
Vokey SM6 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Pro-V1x or Snell MTB

I love reading through this thread... I have only tried the original Snell MTB so far and am completely in love with the performance. I still have a box to work through, but will definitely be checking out the new line. From what I read here, it sounds like they definitely deliver. 

It definitely does! Played the Original and didn't love it for my game but the MTB Black has definitely made all the improvements necessary for everyone to at least consider putting it in play!

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Been playing with the Black pretty much all summer and it never fails to perform even in windy conditions. Just seems to penetrate right on through. Control around the greens is awesome too. I still don't hit many greens, but the few that I've stamped all had the ball stopping right near the landing zones. Also continues to impress with durability. I actually played a full 18 with a single ball not long ago and it hardly looked like it had a mark on it. Love it off the putter face too. Sounds solid and rolls true. Great ball!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

I'm contemplating selling all my Kirkland's and picking up the Black. It performed so well for me and I want to play it...

By the was I loved the OG MTB, but the Black far outperforms the old ball.

I'm contemplating selling all my Kirkland's and picking up the Black. It performed so well for me and I want to play it...

Heck, you'd probably make a profit doing that too! :P

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Maybe...I don't know what folks are paying for them. I'll have to check.

Heck, you'd probably make a profit doing that too! :P

• 1 month later...

Thread bump here...

Man the more I play with the MTB Blacks, the more impressed I am. Now I am definitely not a monster on approach shots, but the few times I get it right, say 150-100 in, this ball just STOPS! I mean within yards, or sometimes even feet from the pitch mark...dead. This ball in the hands of someone with better skills than me would surely be impressed by the way it performs consistently to PV1 standards. Chipping with it is also awesome. Soft off the face and accurate.

It will take a lot for a different ball to try and kick this one from my bag. The price is right and the performance is simply outstanding...even for the likes of me. This ball, combined with improved equipment and tons of playing and practice has helped me go from a 30 hcp to a 21 this season. It is consistent, reliable, durable and has awesome feel. All attributes of a "premium" ball but with a cost that is palatable.

Thank-you Dean Snell and thank-you to MGS for helping enlighten me to the fact that all golf balls are not created equal. This one ROCKS!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Thread bump here...
Man the more I play with the MTB Blacks, the more impressed I am. Now I am definitely not a monster on approach shots, but the few times I get it right, say 150-100 in, this ball just STOPS! I mean within yards, or sometimes even feet from the pitch mark...dead. This ball in the hands of someone with better skills than me would surely be impressed by the way it performs consistently to PV1 standards. Chipping with it is also awesome. Soft off the face and accurate.
It will take a lot for a different ball to try and kick this one from my bag. The price is right and the performance is simply outstanding...even for the likes of me. This ball, combined with improved equipment and tons of playing and practice has helped me go from a 30 hcp to a 21 this season. It is consistent, reliable, durable and has awesome feel. All attributes of a "premium" ball but with a cost that is palatable.
Thank-you Dean Snell and thank-you to MGS for helping enlighten me to the fact that all golf balls are not created equal. This one ROCKS!

Definitely the Black is a very good ball for someone like me also. They’re no joke.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Definitely a winner! Especially if your someone who likes to buy multiple boxes at a time, they are a must have! 

• 4 weeks later...

Snell has a sale on the MTB Black right now. 6 Dozen for $150. Pretty darn good, especially for such a great ball! 

I wonder if they'll have a Black Friday Sale?

I picked up a sixer of the MTB Black myself after getting the test dozen earlier this year. I've also converted a few friends. They just perform. That said, I didn't love the Red, either the sheen on the ball or the feel, especially in the short game, compared to the Black. Different strokes...

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

Black has been fantastic for me. I'll be picking up 6 or 12 dozen at some point here. Just not sure if I should wait for Black Friday or not. Decisions decisions.

I picked up a sixer of the MTB Black myself after getting the test dozen earlier this year. I've also converted a few friends. They just perform. That said, I didn't love the Red, either the sheen on the ball or the feel, especially in the short game, compared to the Black. Different strokes...

• 2 weeks later...

I found one (Black) yesterday and hit it for the first time ever on 17 teebox. 311 yds.

then a gap wedge to a few feet for a bird. Then lipped the bird on 18 after 2 more good shots.

and it was pretty beat up too. So it seems really long, stops good.

meh...😂😂

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

16 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

I found one (Black) yesterday and hit it for the first time ever on 17 teebox. 311 yds.

then a gap wedge to a few feet for a bird. Then lipped the bird on 18 after 2 more good shots.

and it was pretty beat up too. So it seems really long, stops good.

meh...😂😂

I've gotten several comments from playing partners (especially strangers when playing as a single) on how well the Blacks play around the greens especially for shots on par-3 tees. Man if I hit those right-even with a 6i, they just seem to plant themselves real nice like a lawn dart. How'd it sound and feel for you?

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

2 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

I've gotten several comments from playing partners (especially strangers when playing as a single) on how well the Blacks play around the greens especially for shots on par-3 tees. Man if I hit those right-even with a 6i, they just seem to plant themselves real nice like a lawn dart. How'd it sound and feel for you?

I only got 4 hits and one 10’ putt and then 2 tap ins.

but, it all felt good, especially the crushed drive . The wedges in were nice, and spun decently. I’m all in on the chrome soft ‘s right now so unfortunately I will probably only play those 2 holes with it. But my initial reaction was good, and enough to where I would definately try them again in the future   

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

• 2 weeks later...

Guess I still love em.... Cause I just got 8 dozen in the mail. IMG_20181130_155334_879.jpeg

13 hours ago, dhartmann34 said:

Guess I still love em.... Cause I just got 8 dozen in the mail. emoji16.pngIMG_20181130_155334_879.jpeg

Hoping Santa does the same for me!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Archived