2018 Official Forum Member Review - Snell MTB Black & Red

Our Sponsors

Stage Two-The Review

Snell MTB Red Golf Balls-Official MGS Forum Review by: PING Apologist #9

Greetings again my fellow Spies! Been hard at it gathering data on these little orbs and now is the time to give you the best report I can on them. I've played these in four full 18-hole rounds, hit a single sleeve of them over, and over again into my net here at home and had several practice sessions pitching/chipping and putting with them. However, I was unable to get the chance to gather launch monitor data…for that I humbly apologize. Without hard numbers from a “LM”, this review will be much more subjective than I had hoped, but really, that's how we play the game really, so onward.

Looks & Durability (12 out of 15 points)

The appearance of the packaging was nice, and certainly unique.

IMG_20180526_081408597.jpg

These would definitely stand out on a retail shelf if they were marketed that way, and there'd be no question as to what you are looking at. My only gig on the packaging as I stated in my Phase-1, was the lack of any outward verbiage stating point-of-manufacture. Well, I failed to notice (or bother to look) at the inside of the main box top, and there this was…

IMG_20180526_081509802_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

For me not a show-stopper, but not a “plus” either as I would certainly be willing to even pay a little extra for a product made-in-the USA which I do for my current Bridgestone's.

IMG_20180526_084302435_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Anyhow, the pack of a dozen come in standard 3-ball sleeves and each sleeve has either 1, 2, 3 or 4 numbered balls. The graphic design on the ball is nice-I especially like the big S with the bit of red and the script used for the name Snell is unique also. I think these little attributes help make these stand out from many other balls which only use black lettering & graphics for everything except for maybe the number.

IMG_20180526_081658468.jpg

I'd rate durability of these babies on the high end the scale. After obliterating 3 of them over-and-over into my net with everything my bag had to offer, there was hardly a mark on them or any type of roughness on the shells.

IMG_20180526_082201298.jpg

Out on the course, a whole new level of brutality was undertaken from this “around” 30-handicapper. Indeed, while knocking them off of, trees, rocks and even center-punching the occasional house or two, I found that these spheres mostly just took it all in. Occasionally, a glancing “rub” off of a tree (or 6!) would give me a yellowish or even greenish blemish that your normal/standard course ball washer could not overcome.

IMG_20180526_082110847.jpg

Even a good scrubbing with a scratchpad at home deal with it either. But the covers were hardly scratched at all and proved to be very tough overall. Despite everything I threw at them, these proved to be very durable and will last a the better-than-average golfer a good deal of rounds (should you find them...!).

The alignment aid is “OK” and certainly functional but compared to my E6's very large and prominent arrow, it is a little small for these old eyes.

IMG_20180526_082420452.jpg

I also thought the alignment aid just looks too much like a PV1 with just a tick more boldness in comparison.

IMG_20180526_082927459_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

I felt this too was worthy of a small deduction to my bottom line score and feel that Snell could do something more “Snell-like” to be a little more unique. Perhaps a little bolder and maybe with some color…like “Snell red”...?

Sound & Feel (13 out of 15 points)

The sound of these was certainly a departure for me from what I was used to. Having only really played the E6 Softs, I really didn't know what to expect for “sound”. Well, let me tell ya, indeed there is a sound difference between balls…Yes, the reports are true! E6's off the driver are a dull “thunk” where these go “thwack”! Though they compared very similar to both sound and feel off most clubs to the PV1, though these Reds felt slightly “softer” and maybe a smidge “quieter” than the “#1 lost ball on tour” …I liked them better than the PV1's mainly in this regard.

That said, I felt that overall, I was not getting the most out of these, and the sound was telling me so. My swing speed (moderate at best with driver at maybe 87-90-mph) was just not generating what even I could tell “full compression” on many shots. Sometimes I may center-punch a solid iron or wedge that gave a satisfying “tink” sound that I never get with my E6's but is was less often and most likely attributed to a swing that's still under construction. However, the few shots that I nailed were easily recognized as “pure” and generally resulted in a positive yield toward a decent score posting. The biggest difference for me on feel was definitely around the greens. I have great confidence in these that they'll stop sooner than my E6's given similar swings and I began counting on that fact not long after starting using them. Indeed, a golf balls construction will make a difference in performance and these live up to that claim.

On-Course performance (40 out of 50 points)

Off the tee, I noticed a definite difference in distance with these. They seemed to jump off the driver face and were…well… “livelier” than my E6's. My shot-shape (L-R) stayed the same overall but in the wind, I think they were somehow more susceptible to movement from the breezes, though I really only “felt” that way and have no real data to support this observation. The PV1's had similar feel and performance off the tee (even in the wind) but after playing both of those, it seemed that my E6's were a little more “forgiving” in general, though certainly shorter. It most likely has everything to do with spin I'm guessing. But, would I give up the extra distance over better accuracy? Likely not.

Approach shots were great and they actually held my current yardage/gap-chart to a “T” and I was confident that so long as I hit it correctly, they'd at least go as far as I expected it to and stop within reason. This was the case on more shots than I could count and it was a definite plus.

Around the greens, same thing. I had utmost confidence in these to do their job and they certainly lived up to the claim of a softer “feel”. In this regard-Job Done!

Putting was different in both sound and fell from the E6's. These have more of a solid feel off the putter face and a generally satisfying sound. They also seemed to roll fairly true as well. I really liked these on the green and they gave me a ton confidence-Heck, I even made my first & second solo birdies with a Snell MTB Red! You bet that I'm a fan!

IMG_20180422_142125358.jpg

Game Bag or Shag Bag? (5 out of 20 points)

I've had to think long and hard on what I would state in this section, but I think that for me, the MTB Reds simply do not fit my current game profile. While testing, they certainly opened my eyes that golf balls are full of technology, and that differing materials and or manufacturing processes certainly do have impact to a golfer's overall performance. These helped me wake up and notice that there may be some validity ball maker's claims of “feel” or “distance” after all. I certainly wouldn't take their word for it without a grain of salt, but as a golf ball purchaser, it is at least a starting point if you are looking for some special characteristic. Snell Golf makes these specific statements about the MTB Red on their website:

• 4-piece construction with 338 dimple patternü
  • Urethane cover providing short game control, excellent feel and durabilityü
  • NEW inner mantle layer increasing spin on short irons for approach shotsü
  • Our Dual-Feel Technology, providing a bit firmer feel on longer shots while continuing MTB's soft feel on short shotsü
So, I'll take their word about the construction and dimple count, but the other 3 points claimed here have all been pretty much verified throughout my testing; short game control, feel & durability, higher spin (I held more greens), firm off driver and softer with short shots.

Indeed, the Reds nailed it on all counts of their claims, so why do I rate these as more of a wall hanger than gamer, you ask? Simple. My swing speed is far too slow to take full advantage of all the premium features this ball offers.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RQC1rluH4KoYmvK52

I feel that a more advanced golfer with a driver swing speed higher than 95-mph would certainly benefit more from this product than I ever could. However, if handed a new box of them to try again, I'd hit ‘em in a heartbeat! Therefore, the score of 5.

Conclusion

Overall, the Snell MTB Red is a high-quality, durable, top-end golf ball that offers what I observed as “rival” performance to the premium offerings of top-tiered makers such as Titleist, Taylormade, Srixon, Bridgestone & Callaway. I believe it mostly resembles the Pro V1 in all aspects and gives that particular model a serious run for its money. If you currently use PV1's, this ball would perform as well or even better than those I believe, and especially so in the hands of a more skilled golfer than I. At roughly $17 less per dozen than PV1's, they are also very affordable. Packed with the same features and performance of the PV1 and at a lower price point, lower handicappers with high swing speeds (95 & above) should all give this Snell model a serious test drive-IMMEDIATELY!

For me...? Not so much. But Snell does offer the MTB Black which has characteristics that I believe may suit me better…but that little side test will just have to wait for a different day...Cheers all!

Final Score: 70/100

• Like 8

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First off, I want to thank MGS for selecting me for this test. It is an honor and a privilege to be able to test a product and I hope I am able to provide some valuable insight.   My name is Blake a

Snell MTB Black Review - Stage 1 I would like to first thank MGS for the opportunity to be a tester and I'm very excited to provide the rest of the spies around the world with my thoughts on the Snel

What's my story? My golf story began at the age of 10 with a cut-down  7 iron, a few swing lessons, and a desire to beat my 3 brothers, especially in golf.  It took a few years, and some additional cl

Posted Images

My Stage 1 is up. Let me know if you have any specific questions I might be able to address.

• Like 2

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

My stage 1 for the MTB Black is up! Don't be a stranger and ask away with your questions!

• Like 2

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 (7.25*) - Tensei AV Raw White 65 X Tipped 1.5" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T1 Position

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi3 (13.5) - Tensei AV Raw White 70 X Tipped 1" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T Position

Driving Iron: :titelist-small: U500 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke (X)

Irons (4-6) :titelist-small: T100S - KBS C-Taper X-Stiff

Irons (7-P) :titelist-small: 620 MB - KBS C-Taper X Stiff

Wedges: QAJzq7h.jpg SM7 Jet Black 50.F.12 / 55.S.11 / 60.M.08 - X100

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgBlack ER2 (Finish Courtesy of NorCal Putters) - :P2-grips-logo: Aware Tour

Bag:  :titelist-small: Hybrid 14

Glove:  Under Armour Strikeskin Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1 Yellow #3

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Instagram: @dpattgolf

To MTB Red testers out there, how does the cover feel to you? The Black to me feels fairly soft but not too soft were it seem like its going to have a cut in it after 2 or 3 wedge shots

• Like 2

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 (7.25*) - Tensei AV Raw White 65 X Tipped 1.5" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T1 Position

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi3 (13.5) - Tensei AV Raw White 70 X Tipped 1" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T Position

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgBlack ER2 (Finish Courtesy of NorCal Putters) - :P2-grips-logo: Aware Tour

Nice stage 1's so far. We're ordering a 6-dozen value pack from Snell and splitting it up at the office so we can all try these balls as well :)

@theedpatt - baseball to golf huh? my nickname for you is Brooks from now on, after Brooks Koepka. Nice swing brother!

@kingcscott - nice story, my mom went back to school and became an RN, and eventually a nurse practitioner 

@maxentropy - what is all of that white stuff on the ground?! hope you get a chance to play soon

• Like 4

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Motore X F3 5S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue 75S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50 Mid | 54 Full S-grind | 58 Low Relief Grind Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1, 34.5", BGT Stability Tour, 71* lie angle, Press II 3* Grip | :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Nice stage 1's so far. We're ordering a 6-dozen value pack from Snell and splitting it up at the office so we can all try these balls as well :)

@theedpatt - baseball to golf huh? my nickname for you is Brooks from now on, after Brooks Koepka. Nice swing brother!

@kingcscott - nice story, my mom went back to school and became an RN, and eventually a nurse practitioner 

@maxentropy - what is all of that white stuff on the ground?! hope you get a chance to play soon

Haha works for me! Every time I see the name Brooks I go straight to Brooks Robinson. I guess some old habits die hard  :lol:

• Like 4

Hope you guys enjoy these reviews as much as I am working on it. I'll pour my heart out and try to get my swing into shape to get a proper review accomplished

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

To you guys and the other MTB Red testers out there, how does the cover feel to you? The Black to me feels fairly soft but not too soft were it seem like its going to have a cut in it after 2 or 3 wedge shots

Thanks to our endless Ohio winter, all I've had a chance to do is chip and putt in my basement (about 20 feet). They feel pretty nice, but the sound off my wedge and putter is quite a bit "clickier" then I expected, especially with the wedge.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

Just ordered a sample pack myself. Going to see if either can knock the TP5x out of the bag

• Like 5

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

Great start fellas! Been waiting for this thread, as I'm considering picking up some of these this season.

Oh, and @theedpatt those black and blue Cobra irons are gorgeous!

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

I tried the Get Sum and MTB last year and really liked them. Excited to hear what all the testers think about both of these offerings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Callaway XR16

Callaway X2Hot 3Deep

Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4 hybrids

Cobra Amp Cell 5-GW

Titleist SM6 54 and 58

SeeMore X2 

I tried the Get Sum and MTB last year and really liked them. Excited to hear what all the testers think about both of these offerings.

Awesome to see you over here dude!
  • Like 1

Awesome to see you over here dude!

Heard so many good things I had to check it out.

• Like 3

Callaway XR16

Callaway X2Hot 3Deep

Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4 hybrids

Cobra Amp Cell 5-GW

Titleist SM6 54 and 58

SeeMore X2 

Heard so many good things I had to check it out.

Really good community growing here. Glad you're a part of it
  • Like 4

Great start fellow spies. I still play the original MTB's which I love at a good price. Love the performance, hope to read how these new offerings have improved.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

WITB:

Driver:   :cobra-small: F9 driver 9* stiff shaft 

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* regular shaft

Hybrids:  :nike-small: Vapor Flex  3 hybrid regular shaft 

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Ben Hogan BHB01 blade

Ball:  :Snell: Black

Bag: 2015 Ogio Chamber Cart Bag & 2018 MyGolfSpy Stand Bag

Just ordered a sample pack myself. Going to see if either can knock the TP5x out of the bag

That is one of the balls I am putting up against the MTB Black

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1