Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Member Review: Kai Fitness for Golf

Bucky CC

As we get close to spring here in Wisconsin I wanted to post about a new (for me) fitness program I tried out this winter:  Kai Fitness for Golf.  The DVD is from 2012, but I haven't seen many reviews online for it.  A lot of detailed program info is given on the website kaifitnessforgolf.com so I'll mainly focus on my own experiences.

20180403_090149.jpg

A little background info on me.  As I approach 40 I've been trying to be more consistent in my fitness.  I've gone through quite a few exercise programs the last few years (P90X3, Hammer and Chisel, Daily Burn Live to Fail, etc) but get bored easily and am always on the lookout for something new.  This is the first time I've ever tried a golf specific workout program.

The program is broken out into 4 phases with each phase containing 3 workouts.  I have tried to do the Kai workouts on M-W-F with added cardio on Tuesdays and stretching/yoga on Thursdays.  The program only suggests breaking the workouts apart by a day for recovery so there are a lot of ways to set your own schedule.

Equipment needed is pretty minimal.  The items I've used the most during the program are pictured below.  I did invest in braided fitness bands since there are so many rotational exercises (and I didn't need an old one snapping off into my eye), but that's pretty much the only thing I didn't already have.

20180403_073137.jpg

Phase 1:  Learn and Build – This program goes over the basic principles of a golf specific program and keeps things pretty simply.  Workouts are typically in the 40-50 minute range and are scheduled to last 9 weeks, but I felt ready to move on much more quickly than that.  They do show you progressive exercises if the basics are too easy.

Phase 2: Strength and Control – The 2nd phase focuses more on heavier weights and full body exercises.  This reminded me a lot of the workouts I had previously done through Beachbody or Daily Burn programs.  Workouts here are again 40-50 minutes.  The toughest exercise for me was probably weighted squats on a balance board/discs.  Definetely not an exercise to do with heavy weights or my kids running around nearby.

Phase 3: Power and Distance – Workouts here are much shorter and generally top out at 30 minutes.  There are a lot more explosive plyometric type exercises.  I liked this phase, but often felt like 30 minutes was kind of short compared to the first two phases.  It seemed like there should be one or two more exercises added to each day here.

Phase 4: In-season and scoring – Unfortunately I haven't gotten to this DVD yet as Wisconsin winters last about 11 months.

There are also DVDs that cover swing fault exercises, pre-round warm-ups, and super fit workouts.  If there's any interest I can check them out and post some quick thoughts on each.

The other thing I wanted to mention before this gets too long is the customer service of Kai.  When I received my shipment from his website the DVD package was broken.

20180403_074101.jpg

Although the DVD's all worked I sent an email to the generic website contact to let them know the package had been damaged in shipment.  To my surprise Kai himself called me up that week to apologize and ship out 8 brand new DVD's free of charge.  You have to love it when someone stands behind their product like that.

Overall I'm fairly happy with the program and would have no problem continuing the in-season DVD this summer or starting the program over next winter.  Kai seems like a quality trainer and the production value of the DVD's is above average.  He also keeps it fairly straight and doesn't tell 900 of the same jokes like Tony Horton does.  As a bonus he does have a slight accent, so it's hard not to think of the Swedish Chef at times.

Not Kai:    chef.jpg

I don't think the program will get you in the best shape of your life or increase your clubhead speed 20 mph, but for me it feels like I can avoid the winter cobwebs this year.  I was on a Trackman 4 simulator a few weeks ago and the numbers I was seeing were right in line with my July/August swing.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

Interesting.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Nice review, I've been wanting to create an off season workout plan for sometime now and with me finally getting my weight down i think next fall will be the time I finally get to it

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Archived