Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Days Gone By

Topperboy

As a bit of a club gearhead, I'm always interested in what folks may have gamed over the years. Plus it's probably a good way to exercise your brain if you've had quite a few lineup changes.

PowerBilt Grand Slams-first set. Bought the demo set we had a Persimmon Ridge GC when I was 16.

PowerBilt TPS Advanced- mix of blade and perimeter weighting. Looked like hockey sticks.

PowerBilt Ellipsoid of Power- first set graphite irons I ever had. Loved these clubs and in hindsight should have never gotten rid of them.

Hogan Apex- bored them out myself with a borrowed drill press and shafted them with graphite. Really nice set that deserved better from me.

Acer XDS Wide Sole- these things were huge. A Big Bertha clone that played really well. Damn near everything went straight and high. Huge sweet spot. Another set I should have hung onto.

Titleist DCI Black Oversize- great set. Played these for quite a while and even scored the BECU wedges doing a side job replacing a sewage pump for a buddy's folks. Kept these.

Titleist AP1- pretty easy progression from the DCI. Enjoyed these clubs but never really “fell” for them.

Ping Zing 2- the current gamers and likely to stay that way for the foreseeable future. Actually looking for a second set to try the “one length” club setup on this summer. Love the look (don't judge), and really love the way they play.

The rafters of my shed a littered with drivers, woods, putters, and wedges. Hell, there are even a few that got away but this seems like it might be a fun topic.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Most of the stuff you see in my signature is the same type of stuff I have always played. I have dabbled a little with CB irons but usually end back up with blades. Ping irons in general I never could get the look and feel of but that is just me. Part of it is the offset even though back in the day I did play a karsten 1 1 iron and a Eye 2 1 iron. I was just thinking about it some stuff I have mainly some wedges and putters I have had for 50 years now. My beloved VIPS (not the ones in my signature) I have had since 90. My 1962 FC 4000 Macs my old man got in 1962 when he was a Mac Staffer. I grew up on and off playing those sticks. But it is whatever you like and a lot of it is the era you grew up and learned the game in. LOL back when I was learning the game we had nothing but blades and persimmon woods. Not too many choices except the brand. Then Karsten came along and revolutionized the game so to speak.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I've always loved hitting irons and trying different sets, but it's been many years and pretty many sets.

Pre 1992- various 1950's and 60's mismatched blades, whatever I could gather from the clubs in my Grandfathers barn.

1992- Got my first new set, a complete set of new Spalding Executives, woods and irons.

1999- Took my tax return from my first real paying job and bought a new set of Toski irons and a new Sun Mountain Stand Bag (still have the bag).

Then, I started ho'in.

Hogan Apex Edge

Cleveland TA5

Macgregor PCB

Hagen Ultra

Dynacraft Pro Cavity

Mizuno MX-23

Knockoff Ping Eye 2 becu

Macgregor M455?

Ping Eye 2 Becu

Maltby MCC

KZG Forged Blades x 2

KZG Forged Cavity x 2

Macgregor CB-92

Ping ISI

Most of my sets have been smaller more compact players cavity backs, that style just fits my eye.

As for wedges, I've had Ping Eye and ISI, Ben Hogan's circa 2000 that were really sweet forgings, Macgregor, Taylor Made, Wilson, KZG, Ping knockoffs.

Drivers: Cobra, Tommy Armour, Toski, Cleveland, SMT

Looking at my list now, I can say I've never owned a Callaway club in my life. That's kind of unbelievable really.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

My college bag when I played was a McHenry Metals Tour Pure 5.5* with a Penley Stealth XX shaft, Callaway Warbird Heaven Wood with the same Penley shaft and Ping Eye 2 irons 2 - LW. Putter was a Ping Zing 2 for all 4 years. Since then a revolving door.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Irons

Wilson Staff Dynapowers (hand-me-down from granddad to dad to me)

Wilson 1200 (hand-me-down from granddad to me)

Hogan Apex Redlines (granddad bought for me after I beat him for the first time)

Hogan Apex Plus (first set I bought for myself)

Mizuno MX-200

And coming soon... Cobra F8!

Woods

Macgregor Eye-O-Matic

Wilson 1200

Sounder Seve Ballesteros Tour Limited

Taylormade Pittsburgh Persimmon

Taylormade Raylor

... stuff I don't remember ...

Callaway Hyper X

Taylormade R11

Titleist 913 D2

And coming soon... Cobra F8!

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

My college bag when I played was a McHenry Metals Tour Pure 5.5* with a Penley Stealth XX shaft, Callaway Warbird Heaven Wood with the same Penley shaft and Ping Eye 2 irons 2 - LW. Putter was a Ping Zing 2 for all 4 years. Since then a revolving door.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

That Penley was one heck of a shaft especially the Stiletto I had that shaft in a Nakishima driver and it was hot. Pulled that shaft and traded it off for something I forgot what

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Northwestern blades

Palm Springs

Ping Eye 2+

Callaway X12

Ping Eye 2+

Ping i3

Callaway X14

Ping iSi BeCu

Ping i5

Mizuno 900HD

Ping G25

Mizuno JPX 825

Ping i20

Mizuno JPX EZ

Callaway Apex

Callaway XR

Titleist AP1 714 (current)

Taylormade RSi1 (current)

Ping Eye 2 (current)

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

That Penley was one heck of a shaft especially the Stiletto I had that shaft in a Nakishima driver and it was hot. Pulled that shaft and traded it off for something I forgot what

It was solid in the clubs is had it in. I think the driver shaft was about 80 g and the fairway shaft a touch over 100g.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

First set of irons was a mix of old blades I sent to a charity shop after the first year.  I purchased a cheap set of Cleveland VAS 792 I used for a couple of years which I traded for a new toilet when I was gifted a new set of MacGregor Tourney PCBs.  Best feeling irons I ever hit on a quality shot.  Problem was I was not good enough to hit enough quality shots in a round.  Three years ago I got a good deal on a new set of Nike Covert Forged which I still use.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

I saw above Dr. Strangelove had a set of Northwestern blades. When I was in high school one of my team mates had a set of those. In the Mid 1980's they were cheap kmart clubs(don't know that they always were such). He would never show any temper, I think I would agitate him a bit, plus he did not like me anyway so that made it easier to bug him. One day he finally did get mad at a shot, hit the club into the ground, not very hard, and the head broke off at the hozel.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

Tommy Armour Silver Scot 845 irons, then some Golfsmith blades.

And what I have now.

:callaway-small: Rouge Draw 13.5 Lite Flex
:titelist-small: 913H 24 degree Diamana Lite Flex
:adams-small:  Idea Pro a12 20 degree Aldila VS Proto Regular Flex
:mizuno-small:   MP 100 4 - PW Stiff DGS 300
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2  TG 52/10, RG 56/10 and TG 60/10
:cameron-small: 2014 Select Newport 2  33 "

I saw above Dr. Strangelove had a set of Northwestern blades. When I was in high school one of my team mates had a set of those. In the Mid 1980's they were cheap kmart clubs(don't know that they always were such). He would never show any temper, I think I would agitate him a bit, plus he did not like me anyway so that made it easier to bug him. One day he finally did get mad at a shot, hit the club into the ground, not very hard, and the head broke off at the hozel.

This is true, but in those days when I was in my early teens I was happy to HAVE clubs.  These were hand me downs from an uncle.  I had no idea what was a good club or a good ball.  I remember it being fun. 

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

This is true, but in those days when I was in my early teens I was happy to HAVE clubs. These were hand me downs from an uncle. I had no idea what was a good club or a good ball. I remember it being fun.

Yup. I couldn't even begin to name what I had for clubs before the Northwestern's I had, but I was just happy to get to play.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I can't remember for sure what I played in high school.  I worked in my dads fields hoeing weeds to buy my first set of clubs.  I think they were Pinnacles but not sure now.  This was in about 1985.  I played those for three years then got my Hogan's as a graduation gift.  

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

Just did this for a Facebook poll. So it was easy.

1976-1995 Titleist Tour Models

1995-2002 Titelist DCI

2003-2006 Cleveland TA5, TA7, CG4 and CG2

2006-2007 Cleveland CG Red

2007-2007 PING I5

2008-2009 TaylorMade Burner Tour

2009-2012 Taylormade R9

2013-2013 TaylorMade CB

2014-2015 Wislon D300, Callaway CF16

2016-2017 Titleist AP1, Srixon 565/765, Mizuno Hot Metal Titleist AP2

2018 Taylormade P790

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I can't remember the years but I still think I can recall the order. So let me take you on an equipment journey.

I started playing at 4 with a set of cut down Golden Bear irons. The best Christmas gift I was ever given. I can't remember much about these clubs. My folks said I would sleep with my 9 iron though and try to carry it every where I went.

Once I could swing standard length I was given a set of Golden Ram Tour irons They were hand me downs from my dad and while probably not the best for a youngster they really taught me good ball striking. I played these irons till the groves were pretty much worn smooth.

To replace the Rams my dad found a deal on a set of Ping Eyes. Still have them in the garage to this day. Great set of clubs but I seem to hit them a little high.

A friend's father gave me a set of Silver Scott 845s. They had inch and 3/4 extensions and He couldn't hit them. He thought the would be perfect for me since I am tall. Well I played them for about a month or two and went back to my ping eyes.

My first set of fitted irons were Mizuno MX23s. This was when I was starting to play really good golf. It's another set that I still have to this day. I played them for roughly 2 years until I was at a charity tournament and matched with a regional Mizuno rep.

That rep met me the next day at my father's club and personally fit me for a set of Mizuno MP33s. 6.0 rifle shafts 2.5 degrees up with half inch extensions. These irons were what I played highschool golf with. Also this was when my golf career peaked. I felt like I could shoot 75 on any course I walked on.

Fast forward to around 2012. I was fitted at a Titleist demo day for a set of 712 AP2 irons. Great set of clubs, much more forgiving than my MP33s which I loved.

Now on to by current set. Some of you may remember my post last July about getting fit and swinging all kinds of irons. I went back to Mizuno and got the JPX 900 Forged.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Archived