Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

StickTips.com: Slick Tool...Saves Strokes...and Super Cheap

• SPY VIP

Best Golf Lesson I Ever Had + StickTips.com = Why Didn't I Think Of That??

Everyone has heard way too many people's 2 cents when it comes to how they think you should fix your golf swing. But one lesson I had about 10 years ago has stuck with me ever since I got it. And it truly is one of only 3 tips that I have gotten that I still use today. And I would use it a lot more if StickTips.com would have been around back then. If you have never heard about the tip in this post and you are an average golfer you are about to become a much better golfer, if you already are a very good golfer it might be the one tip that makes you great!

So many golfers spend hundreds of hours of their lives at driving ranges across this country pounding away at balls aimlessly into a field. The majority of us never knowing exactly how far we are hitting most of them either, we simply focus on how well we are striking the ball. Striking the ball well is great but if you don't know how far your well struck balls are going when they leave your club then your score is not that likely to get much better. So...heres the million dollar solution and its only gonna cost you $5 bucks!

Best Golf Lesson I Ever Had

When I am done explaining this tip you might say to yourself, "Damn...that's easy why didn't I think of that." I know this because that is exactly what I said when my teacher showed me this same tip. Ok, so how do you do this life altering tip? Basically go to the range and ask the guy that runs the shop if you can come and either be the first person to hit balls in the morning or the last one to hit balls at night. Most of them will say yes. Or if you are getting lessons just ask your golf instructor to do it while the range is closed.

How it works:

1. Get at one end of the range and have a partner or instructor go to the other end of the range.
  2. Start with your lowest club first (ex. 60 Degree Wedge).
  3. Take 20 swings using three types of swings...1/2, 3/4 and Full Swings.
  4. Have your friend measure each swings distance.
  5. Jot down averages for each type of swing.
  6. Repeat process with each iron in your bag.
  7. It's that easy!

StickTips.com To The Rescue

This golf lesson instantaneously changed my game, but 10 years ago it meant that I had to carry around little notes with my yardages written on them everywhere I went. If they got wet or if I left them at home I was screwed. Thats where StickTips.com comes in. They take all those yardages and put them right on the club, this way you will never forget. And they're only $4.99 for 24 labels! Hell that bucket of balls you just finished cost more then that. StickTips.com = Why The Hell Didn't I Think of That?

#TruthDigest

This is a great idea, but I think most people would probably write down the same lies (or 125% truths) they have in their mind, especially since these yardages would be visible to their playing partners. I think SOME people pull the wrong club because they don't know their distances, MOST people pull the wrong club because they think, "If I really flush this one, I'll get it there." At least, that's the case with the people I play with.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

This is a great idea, but I think most people would probably write down the same lies (or 125% truths) they have in their mind, especially since these yardages would be visible to their playing partners. I think SOME people pull the wrong club because they don't know their distances, MOST people pull the wrong club because they think, "If I really flush this one, I'll get it there." At least, that's the case with the people I play with.

I agree. I have my yardage written down on one of those little pocket notebooks. Quick and easy and fits right in the back pocket.

I do this with my wedges as I need to be specific on those as there will be times when you have to get a shot inside 100 yards and you really need figure out where to hit it to so you have an exact yardage to the green. Great way to make a birdie or save a par.

For full bag of yardages, I'd suggest getting on a Trackman.

3JACK

Author of Pro Golf Synopsis. The Moneyball approach to golf strategy and analysis.Driver: Wishon 919THI, 10° loft, UST Mamiya VTS Red 7x, 44-3/8” long, 2,825 kg/cm^2 MOIGONZO WOOD: confidential2-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 17° loft, 40-7/8" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)3-Hybrid: Mizuno Fli-HiCLK, 20° loft, 40" KBS Tour Hybrid shaft (stiff)4-6 iron: Wishon 575MMC (CB)7-PW: Wishon 575MMC (MB)SW: Edel Golf driver grind, 52° loft, 16° bounce, Nippon WV 125 shaft.LW: Edel Golf Digger Grind, 60° loft, 27° bounce, Nippon WV 125 ShaftPutter: Edel Golf Columbia Custom Made, 35" long, 72° lie angle, 3° loft. Ball: Titleist Pro V1xGrips: PURE Grips P2 Wrap (red)Shoes: FootJoy Dry-Joy (black, size 14)3Jack's Golf Blog - http://3jack.blogspot.com

• SPY VIP

I do this with my wedges as I need to be specific on those as there will be times when you have to get a shot inside 100 yards and you really need figure out where to hit it to so you have an exact yardage to the green. Great way to make a birdie or save a par.

For full bag of yardages, I'd suggest getting on a Trackman.

3JACK

I was looking at the trackman at my local course. $125 to do it. Does this seem like a typical price?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

The only range in my area that has Trackman charges $100 for a fitting, and, IIRC, they don't waive the fee even if you buy the club. They've got the shiniest toy and they're going to charge if you want to play with it.

I think ours does drop $25 if you buy the club...

Maybe down the road, getting perfectly for a driver would be worth the extra $$. I will just have to try to get my yardages on the range and the course until my swing warrants the fancy tool.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I think ours does drop $25 if you buy the club...

Maybe down the road, getting perfectly for a driver would be worth the extra $$. I will just have to try to get my yardages on the range and the course until my swing warrants the fancy tool.

We have the FlightScope Kudu, and It is also a radar based Launch Monitor, similar to Trackman. We do not charge for yardage gapping at this time. It seems that charging for this service is commonplace in the industry, and we may have to change the way we do business, but for now, no charge fitting at my store. Sorry for the threadjack, but I had to comment on the $100 fee. I think that knowing how far each club goes is imperative if you want to score. It might even get a few clubs out of your bag...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I agree. I have my yardage written down on one of those little pocket notebooks. Quick and easy and fits right in the back pocket.

+3 I keep mine in a little pocket notebook also.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

This idea was taken directly from the Dave Pelz shortgame bible.

Pelz recommends using masking tape on the shaft with your yardages written on them for the wedge shots that you play. I employed the Pelz system forever, but never found the need to write my yardages down. I must have quite a memory.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Archived