Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Cobra F8 Fairway Woods

chisag

... I will be posting an in depth review after my Phoenix trip but since it is spring and it's time for many to look at new clubs I wanted to post something before the review. I have always struggled with fairway woods. Ever since the days of my Ram bore thru that was a go to club I have had a hard time finding the right combo for use off the tee and from the fairway. I started losing confidence in fairway shots and pretty much went to a 19* LS hybrid which gave me enough distance to ignore my fairway woods. But there were times when a little more length would have been very nice so I continued to look for the right fairway wood. 

... The last several years I settled on a Tour issue 17* Taylor Made Yardbird with a higher cg that quite frankly was a hit or miss club for me depending on the day. It was clear I could hit it well so the problem was more me than the club, so I persevered. But hitting the F8 on Demo Day at the PGA Show was a real treat. The rails really do work, keeping the club on line, digging a ball out of the worst lies and providing a higher trajectory with low spin. I had been that road before, hitting a fairway would great at the show when I was in a groove at the range only to find the same old inconsistency when I came back home and played it on the course. So I wanted to play the F8 for more than a few rounds before sharing my thoughts. 

... I can sum it up with this shot yesterday. I had 254 to the pin for a second shot on a par 5 with a ravine in front that took 230 to clear. I have so much confidence in my F8 I didn't even think of laying up and hit a high shot that landed just short of the green and ended up on the front fringe. Yes, I have pulled a few shots but that is operator error and most swings are rewarded with excellent results, so much so I try and find reasons to use my F8 during the round. The 75gm Even Flow Blue is a great fairway wood shaft and with a mid bend, mid spin and mid trajectory it is ideal in my F8 5/6 wood I have set at 17*. The stock NV2KXV Blue 70 is also a very good math for the F8. The Rogue is very nice but for my money the F8 is really special and priced $50 less than the Rogue, another carbon fiber crowned fairway wood. 

... If you are in the market, put the F8 at the top of your demo list. It is the best fairway wood I have ever hit and although it may not work for you as well as it does for me, you owe it to yourself to find out. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Thanks - as always I take your comments and reviews seriously. Plus while Cobra and I have never meshed in the driver category we have been fast friends at fairway wood and hybrid in the past. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Took my first swings at the range today since mid February. Feeling better but missing about 20 yards of distance across the bag. I guess that's what happens when you you spend almost two days weeks in the hospital and lose 19 lbs (when you didn't have any weight to lose)

I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that I was still able to launch the f8 fairway wood with ease. Even at 14.5 degrees I had no problem launching it off range mats. Once I'm back in shape and get on the course I will see if I need to bump the loft up, but for now I'm extremely happy with my f8/hzrdus yellow combo.

Thanks for sharing Chisag,

Nice write-up.

I got to play my F8+ 3/4 wood for two rounds this year, now 4" of snow. Lol

The NVKXV green feels great, thinking about trying a Tiesi ck white.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Do you find that the Baffler rails help out of the rough?  I probaby shouldn't be going for 2 on a par 5 out of the rough anyway, but it's tough to turn down the occasional hero shot.

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

Can you or anyone else compare the F8 to the F8+ and why you picked one over the other?

Thanks

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

Can you or anyone else compare the F8 to the F8+ and why you picked one over the other?

Thanks

F8+ is a smaller head and has a deeper face. CoG on the + is more forward so it will launch a little lower and with a little less spin. And by that token it is less forgiving than the standard version.

I went with the standard because I found that face plenty deep and I primarily use my 3/4 wood off the deck and enjoy the slightly higher launch.

Thanks for the review.  Have you hit the F7, if so can you tell much of a difference?   

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

F8+ is a smaller head and has a deeper face. CoG on the + is more forward so it will launch a little lower and with a little less spin. And by that token it is less forgiving than the standard version.

I went with the standard because I found that face plenty deep and I primarily use my 3/4 wood off the deck and enjoy the slightly higher launch.

Thanks jlukes......what shaft did you choose for the F8 Fairway?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I went with the same shaft in my driver, just 10 grams heavier (hzrdus yellow 75). I found it pairs well and controls the launch of the standard head. Hzrdus yellow is low launch/spin shaft.

Once I get out on the course I'll have to see if I need to up the loft of the head a little, but right now I've found it launching pretty good on the range.

I have the f7 3/4, 5/6 and hybrid. I absolutely love them. I'll probably end up just carrying one of the woods for another wedge, but they are so good. I the f7 is almost exactly between the f8+ and the f8. For that reason I think it is the best of the bunch. Albeit, the f8's do look amazing. I don't think I'll replace my f7's for years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Playing the F7 fairways and hybrid has been an absolute pleasure. The thing I like about Cobra right now is that the tech they advertise works and is reasonably priced. One of the strongest brands of fairways and rescues you can try and that's evident from the rave reviews you still get from the F6 range.

<p><strong>Driver: </strong><em>Ping G400 Max 9*</em><em>, VTS silver S </em><strong>Fairway 5: </strong><em>Cobra F7, VTS silver S</em><strong>Hybrid 4: </strong><em>Ping G400, VTS silver S</em><strong>Irons 5-PW: </strong><em>Srixon Z765, Steelfiber i110cw</em><strong>Wedges:</strong> <em>Grindworks 50F/56F/60F 86 Series</em><strong>Putter: </strong><em>Evnroll ER2 CS</em><strong>Bag/ Buggy:</strong><em> Bagboy Hybrid Chiller/ Caddy Tek EZ Fold</em><strong>Ball: </strong><em>Q Star Tour</em>

Took my first swings at the range today since mid February. Feeling better but missing about 20 yards of distance across the bag. I guess that's what happens when you you spend almost two days weeks in the hospital and lose 19 lbs (when you didn't have any weight to lose)

I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that I was still able to launch the f8 fairway wood with ease. Even at 14.5 degrees I had no problem launching it off range mats. Once I'm back in shape and get on the course I will see if I need to bump the loft up, but for now I'm extremely happy with my f8/hzrdus yellow combo.

Meek come back to the game!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I was talking to my fitter the other day about optimizing the shaft in my current 3 wood. When I mentioned possibly hitting other clubs as well he immediately mentioned the Cobra F8's. He said they are the best three wood head they have along with the Callaway Rogue right now. His shop is extremely brand agnostic, so I take this as a good recommendation. They fitted me into the Ping G400 driver I currently play.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Man the F8 was absolutely fantastic on the course for me today. First time out and it didn't disappoint. Both off the tee and off the deck it was great. Hit a couple shots off some hard packed mud and and I was worried about that rails not letting the face get down to the ball.

Those worries were unfounded as I was able to pick the ball cleanly no matter the lie.

Is this the fairway wood that I should never let get away? Perhaps. Times shall tell.

• 4 weeks later...

I hit my F8 fairway wood three times off the tee today. Each time I out drove my playing partners and elicited the response "why do you ever hit driver".

Really jiving with this baby

Nice!!!

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

• 1 month later...

My instructor saw me hitting balls on the range with this today and came over. He said when he saw the ball traveling to the back of the range he thought I was mashing driver. He was shocked to see that it was in fact the 3 wood off the the deck.

They say that you shouldn't ever let a 3 wood go if you find one you love. The F8 is approaching that territory. Interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out with it.

... Almost done with my F8 fairway wood review. I will definitely be adding a 3-4 or dropping my 5-6 wood, but most likely dialing up the loft in the 5/6 and dropping my hybrid. I think Cobra really nailed the sound/feel, dense but not dead. Active but not hot like explosive metallic sounding woods. Glad to hear you are getting back on the course Friday! 

My instructor saw me hitting balls on the range with this today and came over. He said when he saw the ball traveling to the back of the range he thought I was mashing driver. He was shocked to see that it was in fact the 3 wood off the the deck.

They say that you shouldn't ever let a 3 wood go if you find one you love. The F8 is approaching that territory. Interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out with it.

That's exactly how I feel with my F7. Its in the bag to stay and easily the club I am the most confident in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

... Almost done with my F8 fairway wood review. I will definitely be adding a 3-4 or dropping my 5-6 wood, but most likely dialing up the loft in the 5/6 and dropping my hybrid. I think Cobra really nailed the sound/feel, dense but not dead. Active but not hot like explosive metallic sounding woods. Glad to hear you are getting back on the course Friday!

What loft do you think you'll play the 3-4 at? I've found 15.5 gives me optimal carry both off the deck and the fairway. Launches great off the deck, too.

I'm using 14.5* for 3-4 and 18.5* for 5-6. They are terrific and def beat my F6 3-4 and F6 4-5 Baffler.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

What loft do you think you'll play the 3-4 at? I've found 15.5 gives me optimal carry both off the deck and the fairway. Launches great off the deck, too.

... Not sure. I will set it at 15* and adjust as needed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Gents. Ive always hated hitting my 3W and often shy'd away from it. Simply for the fact i can hit my 3H almost flawlessly. However since i switched to the F8, Ive had just about as much confidence hitting it as I do my F8 3H. This is coming from previously hitting the M1 and M3 from the beginning of the year. Don't know exactly what it is but somehow the ball just seems to fly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Gents. Ive always hated hitting my 3W and often shy'd away from it. Simply for the fact i can hit my 3H almost flawlessly. However since i switched to the F8, Ive had just about as much confidence hitting it as I do my F8 3H. This is coming from previously hitting the M1 and M3 from the beginning of the year. Don't know exactly what it is but somehow the ball just seems to fly.

Yup. Such an easy launch and great ball flight

• 2 weeks later...

You know you have a great fairway wood on your hands when you hit it off the tee and your playing partners say "Jesus. Do you even need any driver?"

... Stenson clone in NJ? ^_^ I usually feel it is golfer dependent when I see gushing reviews of any given club. But I have struggled and been so inconsistent with fairway woods for many years now and the F8 changed that. I have complete confidence in the F8 and absolutely believe Cobra has found some kind of magical combination of the attributes needed to produce a long and forgiving fairway wood that is so easy to hit from the fairway and great off the tee. 

If this 19* XR16 I picked up doesn't cover the right gaps for me, I might have to look into a F8 7-8 with the way you guys hype it up. You might need a disclaimer at this point that says you're not affiliated with Cobra golf  :lol:

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

If this 19* XR16 I picked up doesn't cover the right gaps for me, I might have to look into a F8 7-8 with the way you guys hype it up. You might need a disclaimer at this point that says you're not affiliated with Cobra golf

Im a previous M1 and M3 guy. Im happy I made the switch to the F8. My confidence has skyrocketed since. I don't think Cobra pays anyone for promoting their products. Their marketing sucks which is sad because their equipment is top notch.

Archived