Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

DMV Local Golf Talk, Meetups, etc

Golfspy_CG2

Playing a VSGA Adult-Junior this weekend with the little one at the Schoolhouse Nine on Saturday.  Haven't been this excited to play a nine-hole par three course in years.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

DMV spies - Reading about things like the Outpost Club (I'm not expecting an invite) and the New Club (not sure it's worth it if there's no chapter in VA and I need to stick relatively close to home on weekends), why can't we start our own?  I love the idea of getting together with some like-minded individuals and play some different courses.  My thoughts on the matter are:

• No membership fees.  I definitely don't want to handle money.  When we put an event together, I could see us pre-paying the organizer to lock in tee-times, but I'm not trying to turn this into a business like New Club.
  • No application process.  I'd like this to be open to anyone that's (semi-)serious about golf.  Maybe no requirement other than a USGA handicap, so we can have some legitimate games when we get together.
  • Lots of match play, where you get points for winning matches, and a year-long points race.  Maybe some Stableford.  Not so much stroke play.   Or no stroke play at all.

This would be lots of fun for those of us who don't belong to clubs, and it'd be really great if some folks who are members of clubs wanted to join in and host us once in a while.  I'd be happy to arrange events at courses here in the Richmond, VA area or at ClubCorp courses outside of Richmond (I'm a member of ClubCorp PlayAway).  And I can definitely do a day trip up to MD or even DE, or down to NC.  If you're interested, let me know.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

@HardcoreLooper. I’d be interested depending on what gets worked out. I am willing to head up to MD area if we get a good group together. Hardest thing is getting everyone to commit to something. Regular meetups are difficult due to potential travel times and occasional gatherings are hard to coordinate all schedules.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

@HardcoreLooper. I’d be interested depending on what gets worked out. I am willing to head up to MD area if we get a good group together. Hardest thing is getting everyone to commit to something. Regular meetups are difficult due to potential travel times and occasional gatherings are hard to coordinate all schedules.

Yeah, it seems like there's never a perfect way to do this.  I'd like to go outside the forum to pull in more people as well; I don't think there's enough critical mass in this area to keep it to strictly MGS.  Hopefully we can get some outsiders to join the forum.

Absent any perfect way to do this, I'm thinking that start throwing out dates/times/places, and if a few of us can commit to one, we go with it.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Just now, HardcoreLooper said:

Yeah, it seems like there's never a perfect way to do this.  I'd like to go outside the forum to pull in more people as well; I don't think there's enough critical mass in this area to keep it to strictly MGS.  Hopefully we can get some outsiders to join the forum.

Absent any perfect way to do this, I'm thinking that start throwing out dates/times/places, and if a few of us can commit to one, we go with it.

I think it's a very good idea.

I also think your way of approaching it by opening it to both members and non members is the way to go.  As you said, it could also be a indirect recruiting tool for potential MGS members, especially if we get a handful to show up at each event, and they here the great discussion going on or if it happens to have a forum tester in it at the same time. 

While my schedule during the summer would keep me from running something like this, I'd be willing to help out in any way I could, especially when it comes to potential courses in this area, I know a person or two 😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

38 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I'd be willing to help out in any way I could, especially when it comes to potential courses in this area, I know a person or two 😎

Thank you sir!

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

3 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Thank you sir!

Sure thing.  Anything to get some of us Mid Atlantic guys out playing together is a good with me. 

11 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Count me in, I can’t travel too far. But I’m done for the local(ish) ones.

I'm thinking reasonable day trips.  Something where you wouldn't mind getting out of the car and playing.  Where are you in MD?  

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I'm starting to request info from courses.  I'll post it here as I receive it.  I realize this is semi-short notice, but I'm thinking 11/23 or 11/24 for the first get-together.  

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

12 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I'm starting to request info from courses.  I'll post it here as I receive it.  I realize this is semi-short notice, but I'm thinking 11/23 or 11/24 for the first get-together.  

Unfortunately i'm out for probably the rest of the year. Selling my house, moving, and all the fun that goes with it... Catch you guys next year!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

13 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Would love to have, but surgery next week will have me pretty much sidelined until the end of the year. 

23 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

So I suppose I should have checked with the social calendar; I'll be out of town that weekend.  Then I looked at the rest of the calendar for the year...

So how is January looking for you guys?

I'm looking at the tee sheet for Royal New Kent this Saturday and Sunday, and it looks like it's WFO.  Assuming it'll be the same in January, we could pick a tentative date and then play it by ear to see how the weather turns out.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

28 minutes ago, Shankster said:

St Mary’s County

Would you be willing to come all the way down to Richmond or further east (like to Royal New Kent)?  Looks like it's about 2.5 hrs for you (depending upon what part of St. Mary's you're in).  I'd also like to do some stuff north of Richmond (like Mattaponi Springs and Pendleton) and in Fredericksburg (some good courses around there).  

And hopefully you, @GolfSpy STUDque and @Golfspy_CG2 can hook us up with some good places to play in MD.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

9 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Would you be willing to come all the way down to Richmond or further east (like to Royal New Kent)?  Looks like it's about 2.5 hrs for you (depending upon what part of St. Mary's you're in).  I'd also like to do some stuff north of Richmond (like Mattaponi Springs and Pendleton) and in Fredericksburg (some good courses around there).  

And hopefully you, @GolfSpy STUDque and @Golfspy_CG2 can hook us up with some good places to play in MD.

I know of at least one good place in Maryland I can hook us up with 🙂    

A couple good Northern Virgina options that are off the I-95 corridor that would be possible locations are,  Laurel Hills and Potomac Shores.    While they are not 1/2 way between DC and Richmond, they are are least on the southern side of NOVA if that makes sense.

I really like Mattaponi Springs, and it's not a horrible drive for us in the MD area.

Let me throw out two other options I can help with that are more Richmond centric.    Magnolia Greens in Mosely is a fantastic course and a real challenge and great practice range facilities and a nice place to eat afterward.    Same with SpringCreek in Zionsville, about 30 or 40 minutes west of Richmond right off I-66.    I only got to see the first hole there....before rain came, but I'd love to see the rest of it as it looks spectacular. 

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I know of at least one good place in Maryland I can hook us up with 🙂    

A couple good Northern Virgina options that are off the I-95 corridor that would be possible locations are,  Laurel Hills and Potomac Shores.    While they are not 1/2 way between DC and Richmond, they are are least on the southern side of NOVA if that makes sense.

I really like Mattaponi Springs, and it's not a horrible drive for us in the MD area.

Let me throw out two other options I can help with that are more Richmond centric.    Magnolia Greens in Mosely is a fantastic course and a real challenge and great practice range facilities and a nice place to eat afterward.    Same with SpringCreek in Zionsville, about 30 or 40 minutes west of Richmond right off I-66.    I only got to see the first hole there....before rain came, but I'd love to see the rest of it as it looks spectacular. 

I'd love to play Laurel Hills and Potomac Shores.  Mattaponi Springs is great - just played there for the first time in a long time last month.  It's in great shape.  Pendleton is also supposed to be good, and in the same area.

Magnolia Green is nice, and it's about 10 minutes from my house.  I've reached out to them for info.

Spring Creek is amazing.  it's been about five years since I've played there.  It's private on weekends, so this may need to be a weekday thing.  They're on my list to contact for info.

I'm trying to figure out who will let us book well in advance (so we can throw a date out there well in advance, letting people try to plan) vs. who will hold us to their normal 7-14 day advance tee time rules.  I'm getting some resistance from courses on that unless we're holding an outing of 70 people or more.  So I could see us doing a mix of well-planned events and spur-of-the-moment stuff where one person gets a tee time and posts it here.  Basically, I'm throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

I know I'm prone to delusions of grandeur, but if we could get enough critical mass, we could really do something here.  But even if we could just get a foursome or two, that'd be fun.  I just want an excuse to play someplace different.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 weeks later...

My dad, my daughter and I are playing the Gold Course at Golden Horseshoe this Sunday at 11:10.  There's room for one more in our foursome, and the times after us look open as well.  It's supposed to be mid-50s and partly sunny on Sunday in Williamsburg, and the 'Shoe is supposed to be in really good shape after the 2016 renovation.  

If you're interested, let me know!

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

11 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

My dad, my daughter and I are playing the Gold Course at Golden Horseshoe this Sunday at 11:10.  There's room for one more in our foursome, and the times after us look open as well.  It's supposed to be mid-50s and partly sunny on Sunday in Williamsburg, and the 'Shoe is supposed to be in really good shape after the 2016 renovation.  

If you're interested, let me know!

I might take you up on that.  I'll let you know if we decide to head down to the beach house this weekend or not.  I pass by the Shoe all the time on Rt 64, so it's right on the way home 

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

13 hours ago, golfinnut said:

I might take you up on that.  I'll let you know if we decide to head down to the beach house this weekend or not.  I pass by the Shoe all the time on Rt 64, so it's right on the way home 

Awesome. As of right now, no one has claimed the final spot. 

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 2 months later...

Virginia spies - the VSGA just posted the One Day Tournament schedule.  I've been meaning to play in one of these for ages, and I intend to make this the year I get off my ass and play in at least one.

Some items of note:

I'd be happy to play with anyone in a Four-Ball Qualifier as long as they're prepared to see me shoot an 84.  It's been a while since I signed a card.

Some of these fill up really fast.  I'm pretty sure Spring Creek is one of those.

There are a few of these on Sundays:

• The Homestead - May 3
  • Colonial Heritage - May 17
  • Wintergreen - October 4
  • The Homestead - October 18

I'm not so sure I want to drive all the way out to The Homestead, but Colonial Heritage and Wintergreen are strong possibilities.  And even though my travel schedule is pretty crazy, I figure I can schedule it around a couple work-days off.  

So if you're going to play in one, let us know.

What's in the bag:
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

8 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Virginia spies - the VSGA just posted the One Day Tournament schedule.  I've been meaning to play in one of these for ages, and I intend to make this the year I get off my ass and play in at least one.

Some items of note:

I'd be happy to play with anyone in a Four-Ball Qualifier as long as they're prepared to see me shoot an 84.  It's been a while since I signed a card.

Some of these fill up really fast.  I'm pretty sure Spring Creek is one of those.

There are a few of these on Sundays:

• The Homestead - May 3
  • Colonial Heritage - May 17
  • Wintergreen - October 4
  • The Homestead - October 18

I'm not so sure I want to drive all the way out to The Homestead, but Colonial Heritage and Wintergreen are strong possibilities.  And even though my travel schedule is pretty crazy, I figure I can schedule it around a couple work-days off.  

So if you're going to play in one, let us know.

Sadly, those are a little bit outside my driving range but I still may join you if the one you choose coincidentally lines up with gaps in my work schedule....... If you're ok watching me shoot 90 😂

In the DC area, I feel like it’s a good time to start taking pulses on a possible Top Golf outing. Would anyone be down for a Friday night in February at National Harbor? Maybe in 2 weeks on the 21st? Or does daytime work better for you guys that have to drive further?

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

And hopefully you, [mention=73629]GolfSpy STUDque[/mention] and [mention=65448]Golfspy_CG2[/mention] can hook us up with some good places to play in MD.

Oh man. Sorry for not following up on this. I’ll do some geographic research and see what I can come up with.

2 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Sadly, those are a little bit outside my driving range but I still may join you if the one you choose coincidentally lines up with gaps in my work schedule....... If you're ok watching me shoot 90 😂

In the DC area, I feel like it’s a good time to start taking pulses on a possible Top Golf outing. Would anyone be down for a Friday night in February at National Harbor? Maybe in 2 weeks on the 21st? Or does daytime work better for you guys that have to drive further?

I could probably make that work....weather depending, that we dont' get hit with any snow or ice that day, it seems like we are due to get hit sooner or later, we've dodged the bullet for the entire winter so far!

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I could probably make that work....weather depending, that we dont' get hit with any snow or ice that day, it seems like we are due to get hit sooner or later, we've dodged the bullet for the entire winter so far!

I see how it is .... you don't talk to a brother anymore?  😂

46 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

I see how it is .... you don't talk to a brother anymore?  😂

Did I miss something somewhere?

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Did I miss something somewhere?

Yeah man!  You don't call a brutha, you don't ask to play golf,.  I don't want to just invite myself to your course & you not be there.  You know I thought we were friends  😂  LOL 

3 hours ago, golfinnut said:

Yeah man!  You don't call a brutha, you don't ask to play golf,.  I don't want to just invite myself to your course & you not be there.  You know I thought we were friends  😂  LOL 

Ha...I haven't played golf since October, so there was no golf to be invited to!   And besides, I honestly don't have ANY irons to play with at the moment, so there's that too.  But hopefully that will change on both ends in the next month or so. 😎

And besides, I honestly don't have ANY irons to play with at the moment, so there's that too.  

All the backup to the backup bags are empty?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG