Jump to content
Golfspy_CG2

DMV Local Golf Talk, Meetups, etc

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

I'm starting to request info from courses.  I'll post it here as I receive it.  I realize this is semi-short notice, but I'm thinking 11/23 or 11/24 for the first get-together.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I'm starting to request info from courses.  I'll post it here as I receive it.  I realize this is semi-short notice, but I'm thinking 11/23 or 11/24 for the first get-together.  

Unfortunately i'm out for probably the rest of the year. Selling my house, moving, and all the fun that goes with it... Catch you guys next year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I'm starting to request info from courses.  I'll post it here as I receive it.  I realize this is semi-short notice, but I'm thinking 11/23 or 11/24 for the first get-together.  

Would love to have, but surgery next week will have me pretty much sidelined until the end of the year. 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I'm starting to request info from courses.  I'll post it here as I receive it.  I realize this is semi-short notice, but I'm thinking 11/23 or 11/24 for the first get-together.  

So I suppose I should have checked with the social calendar; I'll be out of town that weekend.  Then I looked at the rest of the calendar for the year...

So how is January looking for you guys?

I'm looking at the tee sheet for Royal New Kent this Saturday and Sunday, and it looks like it's WFO.  Assuming it'll be the same in January, we could pick a tentative date and then play it by ear to see how the weather turns out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm thinking reasonable day trips.  Something where you wouldn't mind getting out of the car and playing.  Where are you in MD?  


St Mary’s County

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Shankster said:

 


St Mary’s County

 

Would you be willing to come all the way down to Richmond or further east (like to Royal New Kent)?  Looks like it's about 2.5 hrs for you (depending upon what part of St. Mary's you're in).  I'd also like to do some stuff north of Richmond (like Mattaponi Springs and Pendleton) and in Fredericksburg (some good courses around there).  

And hopefully you, @GolfSpy STUDque and @Golfspy_CG2 can hook us up with some good places to play in MD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Would you be willing to come all the way down to Richmond or further east (like to Royal New Kent)?  Looks like it's about 2.5 hrs for you (depending upon what part of St. Mary's you're in).  I'd also like to do some stuff north of Richmond (like Mattaponi Springs and Pendleton) and in Fredericksburg (some good courses around there).  

And hopefully you, @GolfSpy STUDque and @Golfspy_CG2 can hook us up with some good places to play in MD.

I know of at least one good place in Maryland I can hook us up with 🙂    

 A couple good Northern Virgina options that are off the I-95 corridor that would be possible locations are,  Laurel Hills and Potomac Shores.    While they are not 1/2 way between DC and Richmond, they are are least on the southern side of NOVA if that makes sense.

I really like Mattaponi Springs, and it's not a horrible drive for us in the MD area.

Let me throw out two other options I can help with that are more Richmond centric.    Magnolia Greens in Mosely is a fantastic course and a real challenge and great practice range facilities and a nice place to eat afterward.    Same with SpringCreek in Zionsville, about 30 or 40 minutes west of Richmond right off I-66.    I only got to see the first hole there....before rain came, but I'd love to see the rest of it as it looks spectacular. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I know of at least one good place in Maryland I can hook us up with 🙂    

 A couple good Northern Virgina options that are off the I-95 corridor that would be possible locations are,  Laurel Hills and Potomac Shores.    While they are not 1/2 way between DC and Richmond, they are are least on the southern side of NOVA if that makes sense.

I really like Mattaponi Springs, and it's not a horrible drive for us in the MD area.

Let me throw out two other options I can help with that are more Richmond centric.    Magnolia Greens in Mosely is a fantastic course and a real challenge and great practice range facilities and a nice place to eat afterward.    Same with SpringCreek in Zionsville, about 30 or 40 minutes west of Richmond right off I-66.    I only got to see the first hole there....before rain came, but I'd love to see the rest of it as it looks spectacular. 

 

I'd love to play Laurel Hills and Potomac Shores.  Mattaponi Springs is great - just played there for the first time in a long time last month.  It's in great shape.  Pendleton is also supposed to be good, and in the same area.

Magnolia Green is nice, and it's about 10 minutes from my house.  I've reached out to them for info.

Spring Creek is amazing.  it's been about five years since I've played there.  It's private on weekends, so this may need to be a weekday thing.  They're on my list to contact for info.

I'm trying to figure out who will let us book well in advance (so we can throw a date out there well in advance, letting people try to plan) vs. who will hold us to their normal 7-14 day advance tee time rules.  I'm getting some resistance from courses on that unless we're holding an outing of 70 people or more.  So I could see us doing a mix of well-planned events and spur-of-the-moment stuff where one person gets a tee time and posts it here.  Basically, I'm throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

I know I'm prone to delusions of grandeur, but if we could get enough critical mass, we could really do something here.  But even if we could just get a foursome or two, that'd be fun.  I just want an excuse to play someplace different.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad, my daughter and I are playing the Gold Course at Golden Horseshoe this Sunday at 11:10.  There's room for one more in our foursome, and the times after us look open as well.  It's supposed to be mid-50s and partly sunny on Sunday in Williamsburg, and the 'Shoe is supposed to be in really good shape after the 2016 renovation.  

If you're interested, let me know!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

My dad, my daughter and I are playing the Gold Course at Golden Horseshoe this Sunday at 11:10.  There's room for one more in our foursome, and the times after us look open as well.  It's supposed to be mid-50s and partly sunny on Sunday in Williamsburg, and the 'Shoe is supposed to be in really good shape after the 2016 renovation.  

If you're interested, let me know!

I might take you up on that.  I'll let you know if we decide to head down to the beach house this weekend or not.  I pass by the Shoe all the time on Rt 64, so it's right on the way home 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, golfinnut said:

I might take you up on that.  I'll let you know if we decide to head down to the beach house this weekend or not.  I pass by the Shoe all the time on Rt 64, so it's right on the way home 

Awesome. As of right now, no one has claimed the final spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Virginia spies - the VSGA just posted the One Day Tournament schedule.  I've been meaning to play in one of these for ages, and I intend to make this the year I get off my ass and play in at least one.

Some items of note:

I'd be happy to play with anyone in a Four-Ball Qualifier as long as they're prepared to see me shoot an 84.  It's been a while since I signed a card.

Some of these fill up really fast.  I'm pretty sure Spring Creek is one of those.

There are a few of these on Sundays:

  • The Homestead - May 3
  • Colonial Heritage - May 17
  • Wintergreen - October 4
  • The Homestead - October 18

I'm not so sure I want to drive all the way out to The Homestead, but Colonial Heritage and Wintergreen are strong possibilities.  And even though my travel schedule is pretty crazy, I figure I can schedule it around a couple work-days off.  

So if you're going to play in one, let us know.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

Virginia spies - the VSGA just posted the One Day Tournament schedule.  I've been meaning to play in one of these for ages, and I intend to make this the year I get off my ass and play in at least one.

Some items of note:

I'd be happy to play with anyone in a Four-Ball Qualifier as long as they're prepared to see me shoot an 84.  It's been a while since I signed a card.

Some of these fill up really fast.  I'm pretty sure Spring Creek is one of those.

There are a few of these on Sundays:

  • The Homestead - May 3
  • Colonial Heritage - May 17
  • Wintergreen - October 4
  • The Homestead - October 18

I'm not so sure I want to drive all the way out to The Homestead, but Colonial Heritage and Wintergreen are strong possibilities.  And even though my travel schedule is pretty crazy, I figure I can schedule it around a couple work-days off.  

So if you're going to play in one, let us know.

 

Sadly, those are a little bit outside my driving range but I still may join you if the one you choose coincidentally lines up with gaps in my work schedule....... If you're ok watching me shoot 90 😂

 

In the DC area, I feel like it’s a good time to start taking pulses on a possible Top Golf outing. Would anyone be down for a Friday night in February at National Harbor? Maybe in 2 weeks on the 21st? Or does daytime work better for you guys that have to drive further?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Would you be willing to come all the way down to Richmond or further east (like to Royal New Kent)?  Looks like it's about 2.5 hrs for you (depending upon what part of St. Mary's you're in).  I'd also like to do some stuff north of Richmond (like Mattaponi Springs and Pendleton) and in Fredericksburg (some good courses around there).  
And hopefully you, [mention=73629]GolfSpy STUDque[/mention] and [mention=65448]Golfspy_CG2[/mention] can hook us up with some good places to play in MD.


Oh man. Sorry for not following up on this. I’ll do some geographic research and see what I can come up with.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Sadly, those are a little bit outside my driving range but I still may join you if the one you choose coincidentally lines up with gaps in my work schedule....... If you're ok watching me shoot 90 😂

 

In the DC area, I feel like it’s a good time to start taking pulses on a possible Top Golf outing. Would anyone be down for a Friday night in February at National Harbor? Maybe in 2 weeks on the 21st? Or does daytime work better for you guys that have to drive further?

I could probably make that work....weather depending, that we dont' get hit with any snow or ice that day, it seems like we are due to get hit sooner or later, we've dodged the bullet for the entire winter so far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I could probably make that work....weather depending, that we dont' get hit with any snow or ice that day, it seems like we are due to get hit sooner or later, we've dodged the bullet for the entire winter so far!

I see how it is .... you don't talk to a brother anymore?  😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, golfinnut said:

I see how it is .... you don't talk to a brother anymore?  😂

  Did I miss something somewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

  Did I miss something somewhere?

 

Yeah man!  You don't call a brutha, you don't ask to play golf,.  I don't want to just invite myself to your course & you not be there.  You know I thought we were friends  😂  LOL 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, golfinnut said:

 

Yeah man!  You don't call a brutha, you don't ask to play golf,.  I don't want to just invite myself to your course & you not be there.  You know I thought we were friends  😂  LOL 

Ha...I haven't played golf since October, so there was no golf to be invited to!   And besides, I honestly don't have ANY irons to play with at the moment, so there's that too.  But hopefully that will change on both ends in the next month or so. 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
And besides, I honestly don't have ANY irons to play with at the moment, so there's that too.  

All the backup to the backup bags are empty?
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...