Bang for Your Buck Aftermarket Shafts

Honestly best bang for your buck is the shaft that you were fitted for IMO. Trying to go for a cheaper option that may not fit your swing could cause you to replace it down the road costing you more money. At your price point, you can find pretty much any shaft, just may have to shop around or wait for a sale.

If you are set on looking for a bargain I have heard great things about Xcalibers for the forum. Never swung them myself but they seem to have a lot of good buzz.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Just looking for suggestions for ones to try in a fitting rather than just the stock or $300 upcharge shafts.

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 (7.25*) - Tensei AV Raw White 65 X Tipped 1.5" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T1 Position

3 Wood: :titelist-small: TSi3 (13.5) - Tensei AV Raw White 70 X Tipped 1" & 0.5" Short, 2 extra grams in T Position

Driving Iron: :titelist-small: U500 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke (X)

Irons (4-6) :titelist-small: T100S - KBS C-Taper X-Stiff

Irons (7-P) :titelist-small: 620 MB - KBS C-Taper X Stiff

Wedges: QAJzq7h.jpg SM7 Jet Black 50.F.12 / 55.S.11 / 60.M.08 - X100

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpgBlack ER2 (Finish Courtesy of NorCal Putters) - :P2-grips-logo: Aware Tour

Bag:  :titelist-small: Hybrid 14

Glove:  Under Armour Strikeskin Tour

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1 Yellow #3

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Instagram: @dpattgolf

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take a look at the XCalibers from Robin Arthur. Really good shafts at a really good price...   http://xcalibershafts.com

When adding in pulls with the $125 price point there really aren't too many shafts on the market you can't find if you search hard enough.   For me the original Whiteboard is one of the best bangs f

Seems like a hard one to answer. Kind of depends on what bang means and for how many bucks are you willing to spend. But I'll take a stab at it. I recently purchased a TM/Fujikura Speeder 57 S flex w

Posted Images

Just looking for suggestions for ones to try in a fitting rather than just the stock or $300 upcharge shafts.

I gotcha, I really like the Adalia rogue silver that's in my current driver. It also happened to be one of the shafts included with the M2 I was getting. So I can't really speak on if it was worth the price.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Robin Arthur (sp.?) has been active on a thread in the clubfitting section here- maybe he could give you a recommendation based on your numbers?

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

What is the best "bang for your buck" aftermarket shaft out there? Would love to get everyone's opinion on this one. Personally I think its the Proforce V2 for $59.99 but I don't know everything that is out there or how much they all cost.

For me it's the Prolaunch Blue. Thing is money, and I gladly put it in all the woods I game.

What's in My Bag?

Driver: Cobra F6

Fairway: Cobra F6 3/4

Hybrids: Wilson Staff D100ES (4 & 5)

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 (6i to GW)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX (52, 56, and 60°)

Putter: Happy Putter Blade

I have been impressed with the Aldila NVS Hybrids that I put in my Srixon utility irons. They are only about $30 a piece now. Wouldn't have wen that route but I hit one on a launch monitor and saw that it was a good fit for me with those clubs. I feel like Aldila has a lot of solid performers that can be found at a good price. These two are the only two non UST Mamiya shafts in my bag.

• Like 1

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

• 9 months later...

I got fitted for a Nipon Modus3 105 stiff in my irons the other day and was able to get them for $27 a shaft 4-wedge. Looking forward to putting them in and swing what the numbers say. As far as graphite goes Diamana has always been a personal favorite of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

8 hours ago, EthanSterlingPrice said:

I got fitted for a Nipon Modus3 105 stiff in my irons the other day and was able to get them for $27 a shaft 4-wedge. Looking forward to putting them in and swing what the numbers say. As far as graphite goes Diamana has always been a personal favorite of mine.

Thats the shaft I chose last year- excellent performer and most importantly, feel!

I'm also a Diamana fan for my driver and hybrid.

• Like 1

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I'm a big UST fan and the pro force v2 is the go to in this category

Completely agree. Even the brand new v2 with different graphics can be found new for 50-60 bucks. Aldila rogue always a good choice and you can find used for around 60-70.

• Like 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

Last summer I snapped up 7 brand new, uncut Project X Blue Graphite 6.0 shafts for a mere $95 or roughly $13.60/ea. So far I like these a lot since I seem to have better control and accuracy with them over the original OEM PING graphite offering that was r-flex.

Experimenting with driver & fairway shafts, I've landed on the Aldila Tour Blues. Grabbed one for my 3w for a paltry $55. It was so awesome, I didn't mind paying $99 for one to fit into my 5w. That combo on those 2 clubs is absolute $$$. Found an Aldila X-Torsion Copper for my driver that was a demo shaft for $99 and it works pretty good, but I am now experimenting with a Tour Blue on it that I think is even better. I found that one with the right grip & adaptor unused for only $60! Played it only once so far, so it needs some more air time to decide if it is truly better than the X-Torsion for sure.

In both cases, these aftermarket shafts seem to be better than the standard offerings I originally had. Your mileage may vary...

• Like 1

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

On 4/11/2018 at 10:24 AM, Zylem said:

I gotcha, I really like the Adalia rogue silver that's in my current driver. It also happened to be one of the shafts included with the M2 I was getting. So I can't really speak on if it was worth the price.

... I love the Rogue shaft series. Just awesome shafts that can be bought for much less than when they were introduced. I have a Rogue Black Tour 110 shaft that retailed for $799 and while it is a little smoother than the $299 original priced retail version, performance is very similar, it just has a smoother feel and higher QC. One of the absolute steals is the Rogue Silver Tour 125 that was stock in Wilson Trident driver that sold for $99. I had a friend that bought one and gave away the head. 

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2510209.m570.l1311.R1.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.XWilson+Tr.TRS0&_nkw=wilson+triton+driver&_sacat=0

• Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

2 hours ago, PING Apologist #9 said:

Last summer I snapped up 7 brand new, uncut Project X Blue Graphite 6.0 shafts for a mere $95 or roughly $13.60/ea. So far I like these a lot since I seem to have better control and accuracy with them over the original OEM PING graphite offering that was r-flex.

Experimenting with driver & fairway shafts, I've landed on the Aldila Tour Blues. Grabbed one for my 3w for a paltry $55. It was so awesome, I didn't mind paying $99 for one to fit into my 5w. That combo on those 2 clubs is absolute $$$. Found an Aldila X-Torsion Copper for my driver that was a demo shaft for $99 and it works pretty good, but I am now experimenting with a Tour Blue on it that I think is even better. I found that one with the right grip & adaptor unused for only $60! Played it only once so far, so it needs some more air time to decide if it is truly better than the X-Torsion for sure.

In both cases, these aftermarket shafts seem to be better than the standard offerings I originally had. Your mileage may vary...

I've been eyeing the Tour Blues as well. Seem to fit what I would be looking for in a shaft.

• Like 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.3 (Last Updated May 2, 2021)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Mavrik (9°), 45.75", Dumina AutoFlex SF505X | Unofficial AutoFlex Review
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
18.5° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2016 Model), 39.5", Mitsubishi MMT Utility 105 TX
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, 40", Mitsubishi MMT Hybrid 80 TX
4-AW:  
Sub70_Logo_WhtBlk.jpg.aee386374adf9afd31a02b989c839f9d.jpg Sub70 699 (4-6)/699 Pro (7-AW) Combo Set, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, Mitsubishi MMT Taper 105 TX | Build Thread
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 1° Flat, 35.5", 35.25", Mitsubishi MMT Wedge 105 TX | #CobraConnect Review
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
lamkin.png.5081890e009ae78e16066ee0fd18b7c0.png Lamkin Sonar Tour
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos | #CobraConnect Review
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8 | Unofficial Review

WITB? | 2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Thats the shaft I chose last year- excellent performer and most importantly, feel!

They come in Tuesday with grips coming in around Thursday so I’m hoping to have them ready to go for the weekend. 35 degrees right now but should be almost 80 this weekend, another week in Texas weather...

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

IMG_2573.JPGcame in today, getting started installing them tomorrow and pending weather I’ll give them a shot Friday.

In the bag
Driver: Callaway Rogue Subzero 9.5 Stiff flex
3 wood: Callaway Rogue Subzero 15 degree
Hybrids: 17 degree titleist 816 h2
Irons: Ben Hogan Ptx 22-46 degree (4-pw)stiff flex standard lie
Wedges: Callaway Mac Daddy 4 50,54,58 degrees
Putter: Odyssey EXO seven

Gig’em Aggies!
  • Like 2

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Big thumbs up on the Modus - one of the best feeling and smooth shafts I've tried.  Really wanted them to put in my irons, but the I decided to go with trackman figures and the DG AMT's ended up having the best numbers.  Looking back, I'm not sure I'd have went with the different weighted shafts for lower irons.  I like the concept, but miss my old KBS shafts and would have liked to try to Modus.

• Like 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818H2 Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2018 at 6:06 PM, Kenny B said:

You might look at Matrix White Tie, Red Tie, and Black Tie shafts depending on your ball flight.  Black = low, Red = Mid, White = high.

Personally, I would like to try the Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black HBP 2nd Generation shaft for $50.

Currently have the kuro kage 2nd gen hybrid shaft in a maltby KE4 tour 22° I'm testing and have the wood wood shaft in a cobra F7 I'm messing with against my Callaway rogue with stock recoil shaft.  So far I'm pleased on a simulator but snow still on the ground here so no actual play.  I did order 1 of the iron shafts to try in the gap wedge on building so initial impressions were good enough to have my buy another, price helped that a lot as well!  Hopefully I will have some more feedback in the next few weeks as our season gets started.

• Like 1

For a great low/low option that worked out better than any other shaft I tested, the Aldila RIP Phenom NL.  It's not a shaft for everyone and requires an aggressive transition to load it, but man this thing pipes with my M3. 

You can find them new on eBay for $50-60

• Like 1
  • TaylorMade SIM2 9.7* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15.9* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5 TX
  • Callaway XForged UT 19* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z965 4-P - PX 6.0 LS hard stepped
  • Vokey SM8 51F / SM7 55M / 59K - DG TI S400
  • Scotty Cameron X7 Phantom 34”
  • Titleist -Pro V1X
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those of you who love the UST shaft, can you describe what you like. I always see people posting about these but the color schemes are dreadful. I am looking for a shaft that feels very smooth but not whippy and not boardy......any thoughts?

I try other brands...keep coming back to Titleist....why??

I am going to have to go with Aerotech Claymores or Accra Shafts (a couple generations old, look on Mike's Golf Outlet). 

In my bag:

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 10.5* lofted down to 9.0* Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6X

Wood: :cobra-small: Speedzone Tour Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7X

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: MIM Tour Irons 4-PW Project X 6.5

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM Black 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X