TESTERS WANTED! ×

Don't Like Patrick? (Reed Haters)

Sluggo42

I'm at a loss as to why people don't like him and Spieth. They love Rory who dumped a delightful young lady and equipment company that was with him in his youth, but hate Reed. I have nothing against Rory really, he's young, young guys do those types of things but what is Reed guilty of? Being passionate? Competitive? We love that in other sports, why not golf?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If you read about Reed's back story there are some very shady allegations.  Many news outlets are taking them as facts for click bait articles.  Allegations of theft and cheating on the course are the top two I've seen.  He also tends to be fairly abrasive with his comments.  He doesn't pull punches.

There are two sides to every story though and none of the allegations have ever been proven to the best of my knowledge.  

I guess all that was to say I understand where some of the dislike is coming from, but I think he gets a bad rap and his past is coming back to haunt him.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't have the confidence in yourself to say you're in the top 5 then you'll never win. The kid didn't even say he was the best, he just believed in his game enough to say he can hang at the top with the rest of them. There's a difference between self belief and cockiness. Now everyone that scoffed when he said that can suck rocks.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

If you read about Reed's back story there are some very shady allegations.  Many news outlets are taking them as facts for click bait articles.  Allegations of theft and cheating on the course are the top two I've seen.  He also tends to be fairly abrasive with his comments.  He doesn't pull punches.

There are two sides to every story though and none of the allegations have ever been proven to the best of my knowledge.  

I guess all that was to say I understand where some of the dislike is coming from, but I think he gets a bad rap and his past is coming back to haunt him.

I think  this plays a large role into why it seems a lot of people dislike him. After watching his interview on Feherty, I understood him way more. However, as much as I try to have an open mind even I can admit I fall victim to assuming the worst. Not fair to him at all I know. But I do respect his talent, and the fact that he seems to care a lot about his family. 

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Spieth seems socially inept to me at times and a bit of a cry baby. Not a fan but fun to watch when hot. Rory fired shot shots over Reeds bow after Saturdays round so "they" have no room to talk about Reed. Reed is one competitive dude and I was pulling for him uf it wasnt go to be Fowler. I really like Fowker as he is growing on me.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

He deserves the credit for an impressive win against one of the best fields in golf. As a person seems a bit abrasive but man can the dude play, and that is all I ask for on a Masters Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

If you get the chance, read this article about Reed and his family. Kinda crazy.

http://www.golf.com/knockdown/2018/04/08/masters-patrick-reed-estranged-family-complex-mix-emotions

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

If you get the chance, read this article about Reed and his family. Kinda crazy.

http://www.golf.com/knockdown/2018/04/08/masters-patrick-reed-estranged-family-complex-mix-emotions

If this is true then this is humanity and vulnerability to a “T”. Everyone seems to carry this perception of perfect home lives for the stars we hold so high on a pedestal. Who wants to root for someone who doesn't have a storybook home life.

It's a sad story but ultimately it's his story. If you want to empathize with someone who has some real human struggles then look no further. Patrick may be more “normal” and “relatable” to the average fan than any other player on Tour.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Wouldnt say I dont like him, but he's not as known as Rickie, Jordan or Rory. Watching the end the fiancee said "who's this guy" more than once, and she knows a lot of the guys on tour.  Reading a little bit on his past, getting removed from school, interviews where he brags on himself, I can see why people wouldnt like him

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

ESPN's article on his win today mentions that his parents aren't allowed at tournaments, and that he doesn't really speak to them or siblings... Wikipedia says he has two kids... I've never seen his kids pictured, and to not have relationship with one's family says there's some “stuff” going on.

Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

There is no reason to throw insults at him for his appearance especially weight.  He is a great player and made putt after putt yesterday to save his final round.  

Personally I just can't get behind him, watched the Feherty interview and nothing changed.  There is just something about the way he carries himself on the course I don't like.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

I am not a fan of his, can't say I hate him though.  Lots of things have been said and written about him, if only half is true that is too much for me to care for him at all.  He is a great golfer and I hope he grows as a person with this win.

Driver -     Rogue ST Max
Woods -   Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -      Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                          Wedges -   Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                                          Putter -    Evnroll ER2
Rangefinder -  NX-10 Slope
Ball -  Vice Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                            Bag -  Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

I like him as well and as a disclaimer he was one of my Wilson picks. I know the press has focused on his family background - which was apparently significant enough issue that they were asked to leave at the US Open.  But then the press does like to focus on the more sensational stuff and always creates room for doubt. Immediate family issues? Must be good if his wife carried his bag for him and now his brother in law.  

Let's just take it for what it is  - he played good golf and won the Master's this weekend something the haters can't take away. FYI I much prefer Patrick to Rory! 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

If this is true then this is humanity and vulnerability to a “T”. Everyone seems to carry this perception of perfect home lives for the stars we hold so high on a pedestal. Who wants to root for someone who doesn't have a storybook home life.

It's a sad story but ultimately it's his story. If you want to empathize with someone who has some real human struggles then look no further. Patrick may be more “normal” and “relatable” to the average fan than any other player on Tour.

Well said - there are no 'perfect' families out there. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I certainly don't think a person should be attacked for how he looks, hell if you are goin that road you better be at least 6'0" of pure muscle and killer six-pack.
However, it is pretty much valid to be criticized for the things he does on and off the course, you are a public figure after all.

It's just interesting how Rory was the only golfer I disliked (when I started playing)... then came Spieth and took over his place... and now we got Reed and I suddenly don't dislike Spieth that much anymore.

The guy can play, no doubt about that. But bring in the family problems, shady past from college, cockiness, etc... and it's just not someone I want to root for.

And to all those people "defending" him, saying how it's been blown out by the media, how it's fake news and stuff... think back Tiger post scandal...

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I have held off on posting anything about Reed.  I will attempt to be concise while not going too much into detail.

My wife's aunt was a neighbor to the Reed family in Augusta for several years.  She was also a medical doctor at Doctor's Hospital in Augusta for many years.  She knows Bill on both accounts given Bill's profession.  As is the case with most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.  Patrick's parents aren't as perfect as they have presented themselves to be.  Some of the information Patrick's wife shared in the infamous Facebook post has been witnessed by those who have been around the family.  I won't go further than that but, by the same token, Patrick has never been the easiest person to parent.  There is also something to be said for forgiveness.  Especially when some of the fault lies within.

All the stuff written about from his college days, I take absolutely no stock in.  Kids make mistakes.  And I mean that on both sides of the issues.  How many of us didn't have our first experiences with alcohol in college and have the situation spiral out of our control?  My first month out of AIT in the Army, I got drunk as a stupid 18 year old kid, passed out on a train and woke up in another state!  A very short time later, a group of us idiots crossed the border into Juarez, Mexico, got drunk and nearly jailed........in MEXICO!!!!!!!!!  Thankfully, someone ratted us out and our First Sergeant came to get us before we made the situation worse.

As for the golf related issues, there is some noticeable jealousy from some of Patrick's former Georgia teammates.  Which certainly exacerbated the issues at Georgia from every possible angle.  Patrick entered a senior laden team at Georgia and pushed those guys in ways they didn't like.  It got heated and college kids handled it the way college kids handle things, in petty, often childish ways.  The veterans on that team made accusations that, if one looks closely enough into, have a few inconsistencies and have never been confirmed or verified.  But, as is typical with Patrick's nature, he didn't handle himself very well.  His time at Augusta State wasn't nearly as tumultuous but still, there were a few issues.  His talent also propelled a school of 5,500 students with no other Division I athletics to back-to-back national championships.

The point is, our lazy, self-righteous society read the salacious headlines and run with them without objective thought or consideration for all sides of the story.  It's just another microcosm of American society in the 21st century.

Honestly I don't understand all the hate for any professional golfer. To me it would be an honor to play a round with any of the playing professionals.

With that said I was pulling for Rickie the whole tournament. (I always root for Rickie and Phil) And I would lying if I said I wasn't excited to see Jordan trying to make a come back.

In the end I am a fan of watching golf played at it highest level. I love seeing someone make a 20 foot putt or knocking it within 5 feet from 160 yards out.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I try to keep the golfer separate from the person, as I enjoy watching the talent.  I am sure there are stories that can be shared about many professional athletes that would sound as sad.  Don't get me wrong, I am not a heartless prick, but I have enough drama in my own life.  I just want the joy of watching and being amazed.

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

I am not a fan of his, can't say I hate him though.  Lots of things have been said and written about him, if only half is true that is too much for me to care for him at all.  He is a great golfer and I hope he grows as a person with this win.

There are some stories on the UGA facebook threads that are eye opening (if they are for real).  I don't see a need for posting any of that stuff as hopefully he will turn into a fine fellow and move forward.  We all have dirty laundry and the the good Lord knows I don't want anyone washing mine....  :blink:

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

There are some stories on the UGA facebook threads that are eye opening (if they are for real).  I don't see a need for posting any of that stuff as hopefully he will turn into a fine fellow and move forward.  We all have dirty laundry and the the good Lord knows I don't want anyone washing mine....  :blink:

As I said in my post, an awful lot of the UGA banter comes with a heaping side of jealousy and envy!  Chris Haack also has a pretty checkered past in terms of bitterness and envy shown toward current and former players.  Bubba Watson was pretty forthcoming about his time at Georgia until he and Haack worked things out.  Going into his senior season, Watson was a pre-season All-American that Haack benched for the entire season.

There are two sides to every story!  And as you said, we all have "dirty laundry"!

I would have "liked" this, but apparently I've met my "like" quota for the day.  This is exactly how I feel about it. It's awfully easy to be critical of someone without knowing the truth of their story.  We all have personal demons to overcome, and some of them are much harder to fight than others.

This man beside us also has a hard fight with an unfavouring world, with strong temptations, with doubts and fears, with wounds of the past which have skinned over, but which smart when they are touched. It is a fact, however surprising. And when this occurs to us we are moved to deal kindly with him, to bid him be of good cheer, to let him understand that we are also fighting a battle; we are bound not to irritate him, nor press hardly upon him nor help his lower self.  -  Ian Maclaren

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

After reading all these hate threads.I feel ashamed participating in the masters thread yesterday.And feel ashamed for getting involved in a forum that I thought was rid of this stuff.Taking a much needed break.And like how everyone bashed under an anonymous user name.Classy

Keep it in the short stuff

As a kid, my parents got me a subscription to a sports magazine that purported to feature Christian athletes. I wasn't terribly old when the disconnect between some of these guys' Christian testimonies and their actual life choices started to be pretty glaring.

It was at that point that I pretty well decided that I'm not cheering for athletes because they are paragons of morality, but because it's fantastically entertaining to watch them do what they do so well.

I've read some of the stories about Reed, and sixcat's posts were certainly interesting as well (thanks for your insights). There are some sketchy things there, as well as some accusations that are unverifiable.

Either way, Reed played a great tournament, and he's going to be our Ian Poulter in Paris this year. For me, as a fan, that's enough reason to enjoy what he's doing.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

We are fortunate to be able to watch and enjoy the golf being played by the current group of "20 somethings".   That includes their playing abilities as well as their personal friendships off the course.   However, when we make judgments about them based on certain of their actions on the course and allegations off the course, we forget that they are human "20 somethings" with the emotions and maturity of that time in life.   I can say with absolute certainty, today as a seasoned individual, I am not the same person emotionally and like to think that I have matured over my lifetime.   For example, in another thread regarding Patrick Reed, his drinking in college was mentioned, when I'm asked about my activities during my college years, I sometimes respond that I was on the varsity drinking team.  

Remember, perhaps, no one was more disliked as a young golfer than was Jack Nicklaus because of his ability to take on and beat the hero of the time, Arnold Palmer.  But today, he is well respected as one of the best golfers of all times and he and Arnold appear to have established a mutual respect if not a friendship over time.   Remember, times and people change. 

Shipnuck paints the Reed's as a modest, humble, working class family in Augusta.  The Reed's live in a 400k house in an area where the median home value for 2017 was barely over 125k.  That "tidy little two-story house" is some of the most expensive property in the whole area. 

In my opinion, it's a blatant attempt to mislead the reader.  I question the accuracy and authenticity of the remaining article because the writer is misleading in the opening paragraph. 

Moved the thread when I was typing up this screed. Attempting to silence the little man! You've changed MGS Forum  :P  ;)  :P

Anyway...

Look, I've been staring at this reply box for a bit of time trying to gather all my thoughts on Mr. Reed, so here goes.

I think it's important to understand that golf is one of the sports where it may be easier for some to separate the person from the athlete. It is troubling with how 'branded' some guys are, but with some I think you can see that it's all about trying to cultivate this image and that in real life, they may be different.

On that front, I think it's interesting to look at Patrick in three lights, The Golfer, The Character, and The Person.

The Golfer: Grinder, immensely talented, a bit brash and a risk taker, but supremely confident in himself. A match play savant, especially in team competition, and one of the best ball strikers in the world. When he gets that putter going, tough to beat. Also though, not one of these "super athletes" types (DJ, Finau) or these "golden child" types (Spieth, Thomas,etc) and that makes him more relatable to the common everyday person in my mind because he's built like a real person who's dug it out himself.

The Person: Probably the least any of us know about him. We've read the stories, the second hand accounts, seen the interviews, hell even read Sixcat's post about it. He seems a private person and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. The problem is since he doesn't let us in it allows the rumors and speculation to fly and take bed as truths. Now, I'm sure he and I may not see eye to eye on everything in this world, but it's his choice to stay back and private, and we should know it.

The Character: Did you guys know Wrestlemania was last night? Well, it was and I tuned in after the final putt dropped. Looking at Patrick, I remember something I think The Rock may have said when he said the best characters in wrestling is just your personality turned up to 11. Looking at Patrick, the dude turned it up to 11, then ripped off the knob. I know his personality isn't for most, he's young, brash, and highly emotional, and that no doubt rubs a certain section of fans the wrong way, for someone like me looking for entertaining characters, he ticks all the boxes. He is somehow all the memes Golf Twitter has spread about him come to life. For god's sake, when he and Rory stood together on the first tee yesterday and you have Rory in white with a white hat, Patrick in Black with the Black hat, it was like a Western come to life. And sometimes, it can be more fun cheering for the dude in the black hat.

So, I guess in a long winded way, that's the way I look at Patrick Reed. I root for the guy, because he's different. I like him because he's interesting. May he have some checkered baggage in his past, sure, but don't we all? Isn't it more fun with the people we put on pedestals are actually closer to human that we realize? Golf will always have it's mythical heroes who will be talked about and sung about forever, but what good is that hero without a foil to play his opposite? Patrick Reed is that foil, and now, is a major champion.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Moved the thread when I was typing up this screed. Attempting to silence the little man! You've changed MGS Forum :P ;) :P

I tried, but nay, I couldn't silence you. Haha.

I fall more towards your point on this topic as well. People get worked up about his behind-the-scenes "issues" but how does it really affect us anyway? Weren't we all punk kids at one time? IMO, his family relationships are his own business.

It wasn't that long ago we were having a similar debate on Arnie after his daughter went out and hung some dirty laundry post mortem. Nobody is perfect and we just shouldn't feel the need to athletes down for slip ups in their personal lives. We should enjoy them for their on-course talents. It's much harder to hide your dirt in today's information age so Reed is catching his flack now rather than later.

One thing I just don't get is how people can actively root against him on the golf course based on things he's done off of it. The man just went out and won the greatest golf tournament. Why can't we celebrate the win? He played some great golf to earn the lead and made the tough shots in pressure situations to keep it. To boot, he did it respectfully. He wasn't shushing the crowd or showboating. He conducted himself in the manner of a true champion.

People just love to be angry. Maybe we just need to find a way to fit a little more love into our lives?

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Archived