TESTERS WANTED! ×

2011 Odyssey Backstryke Dart Putter

GolfSpy_X

they couldn't pay me enough to bag this hideous thing....

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

I think that may be hard to get used to.I dont know what i think of it.Dave

Callaway razr x tour 5-pw

titleist 585h 24 &21 hybrid

Heavy wedge 52 gap wedge

Nike sv sand and lob wedge

Callaway Diablo Octane tour Driver

Adams F 11 3 wood

Seemore ci2 or Bettinardi studio stock 2

I have never seen a single Backstrike putter of any type being played on any golf course anywhere. The only ones I've ever seen have been on a display rack.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I don't think the Backstrykes really do what they are meant to do, which is to promote a forward press. For me, of anything they promote a reverse press because it looks like the shaft is doing the forward press for me.

On a separate note, I would like to know what they merits of a forward press are. Effectively it lowers the left, but why not just actually design putters with lower lofts?

i actually tested all the backstrykes and yes i think they are very hideous but they putt extremely well. they were smooth as butter and really felt balanced and i loved how it performed. I didnt see it promoting a forward press when i tested them but i can see how it might help.

I just wished they'd go away from the junk insert they've been using. It's too soft

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

they couldn't pay me enough to bag this hideous thing....

Ditto.

I have never seen a single Backstrike putter of any type being played on any golf course anywhere. The only ones I've ever seen have been on a display rack.

We have a mountain of these things in the shop, but at $200, they are going nowhere fast.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I would play that if it was a "normal" center shaft version.

I had a similar thought. I am not sure I would play the CS version, but looking at it made me think that it should be center shafted.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I don't think the Backstrykes really do what they are meant to do, which is to promote a forward press. For me, of anything they promote a reverse press because it looks like the shaft is doing the forward press for me.

On a separate note, I would like to know what they merits of a forward press are. Effectively it lowers the left, but why not just actually design putters with lower lofts?

It's akin to saying is a Vardon grip better than an Interlocking grip... it depends on the individual. A person has to be smart about forward-pressing, though... if they're gaming a putter with 2-3* loft (like Golfsmith's Viper Tour models, for example) and they forward press, they're in trouble, because there isn't enough effective loft (and most likely, negative loft) to lift the ball out of the impression that it's sitting in. They might get lucky and send the ball online, but most times, it'll skid too early, causing accuracy issues. That's why Dave Stockton (the current "guru" putter instructor, who teaches the forward press) won't allow his students to use a putter with less than 4* of loft (per a Golf magazine article).

Forward pressing, in my opinion, is what's in vogue right now, and Odyssey is just jumping on the wagon. In essence, these Backstryke putters are gimmick putters- which saddens me a little, because I like Odyssey putters. If someone is going to forward press with a club that's already supposed to be doing it for them, they're (more than likely unknowingly) sabotaging their stroke. Why not just have the loft of their putter confirmed as being 4*+, then work on the forward press? Or, if a person's truly inclined to buy this... thing, hopefully they realize they need to maintain their non-forward pressing stroke.

On a different note, Padraig Harrington gamed one of these, a 2-Ball model, in the summer for a time. He's the ONLY one I've heard of using it. It was in a Golf.com article, but it didn't say if he was switching or just practicing with it. I also haven't heard if he's stuck with it or ditched it...

Looks like something you would use to take lug nuts off with :)

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

Take that shaft out of it, put some small propulsion units on.. then LOOK OUT CLINGONS!!!

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

I happen to have a backstrike blade into my bag straight from a tour truck. It sounds good, very butterly even if the insert is a little too soft to my comfort. And the ball has a rather good tendency to keep its line. Thanks to it I'm more aggressive on the greens and it works fine on the scorecard. But Gosh! how lucky I'm it's a blade model and not a dart. So ugly! Not sure I could play it even if it was a miracle putter.

About for or five guys on tour are using them. Padriag Harrington being one. He bounces back between that and the two ball blade. As for sales I have been very succesful moving them in my shop.

About for or five guys on tour are using them. Padriag Harrington being one. He bounces back between that and the two ball blade. As for sales I have been very succesful moving them in my shop.

the backstryke dart is ugly. I was talking about the regular backstryke

i'm pissed just looking at it. they must have realized that if they scare the ball with ugliness then it'll be more apt to drop in the cup........if only to get hit fewer times by such a vomitous thing. someone actually got a pat on the back in r&d for designing this thing....WTF!

wanna know the secret to satisfying a woman everytime?...................................................................................................................................................who cares

Archived