TESTERS WANTED! ×

Opinions on what clubs to replace first

willc1980

Ok, sorry for the long story in advance

Im recently (like a month ago) back to the game since my teens, i have played a little as an adult but pretty much just to drink beer. So now i want to play and learn a bit more seriously.

Currently in the bag I have an old Nike Ignite driver, probably over 12 years old, and Nike Slingshot OSS irons, probably 10 years old? So my instructor says to replace the driver first but im at a point where my driver game is struggling and i dont wanna go drop a chunk on money on a club im going to slice anyway. So will a new driver make that much of a difference in hitting the ball straighter? do I spend the money on more modern irons because i hit them better right now? or leave everything alone unltil i can hit everything I have straightish? and go!

You can buy some lightly used stuff and get both for the price of just one. Irons are used more so you can go that route or you can go the route of the one that starts the hole. You'll get some good ideas and different opinions but I know the feeling about the driver issue I'm in the same boat

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You can buy a new to you driver and irons that are a year or two old and get a better bang for your buck.

You could also go to another fitter and pay for a fitting to see if you are leaving performance on the table with your current clubs. Better to spend 50 or 100 bucks on a fitting than a couple hundred to a thousand dollars on new clubs when you might not see performance games from new clubs.

A fitting would also give you an idea of what to look for on the used market if you don't want to buy new

You can buy a new to you driver and irons that are a year or two old and get a better bang for your buck.

You could also go to another fitter and pay for a fitting to see if you are leaving performance on the table with your current clubs. Better to spend 50 or 100 bucks on a fitting than a couple hundred to a thousand dollars on new clubs when you might not see performance games from new clubs.

A fitting would also give you an idea of what to look for on the used market if you don't want to buy new

yea i hear ya on a fitting i just dont know that i can hit enough balls straight with a driver to make it worth while lol

How serious are you about really getting back into it? Inevitably, if you play a lot, your swing will change. You would hate to get new clubs now then have your swing change in a few months and the new ones would no longer be the right fit. Here's what I might do: work super hard the next couple of months and you will have definitely improved. Then try out a bunch of clubs on a launch monitor and see what gets you the best results. But if you think that is not what you are looking for, then maybe try replacing the driver. I think the difference will be greater than switching irons. Just be sure to test out a bunch of them!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

While new clubs may help, they aren't necessarily going to completely change your game. If you don't end up getting fitted and you are looking to just upgrade your clubs, there are tons of sites out there to buy used clubs from, which I highly recommend. You can maybe do what I did when I first started. I set a goal, I told myself whenever I was able to par every hole (not consecutively), I would buy myself a new set of irons. This drove me to practice more, because I desperately wanted to get rid of those Top Flites. 

Anyway if you do go the pre-owned route, check out these sites, if you don't already know of them:

http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/

https://www.globalgolf.com/

https://www.2ndswing.com/

https://www.taylormadegolfpreowned.com/

https://www.3balls.com/

You can usually find some great deals, especially Callaway PreOwned when they have special sales going on. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

While new clubs may help, they aren't necessarily going to completely change your game. If you don't end up getting fitted and you are looking to just upgrade your clubs, there are tons of sites out there to buy used clubs from, which I highly recommend. You can maybe do what I did when I first started. I set a goal, I told myself whenever I was able to par every hole (not consecutively), I would buy myself a new set of irons. This drove me to practice more, because I desperately wanted to get rid of those Top Flites. 

Anyway if you do go the pre-owned route, check out these sites, if you don't already know of them:

http://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/

https://www.globalgolf.com/

https://www.2ndswing.com/

https://www.taylormadegolfpreowned.com/

https://www.3balls.com/

You can usually find some great deals, especially Callaway PreOwned when they have special sales going on. 

i dont really have intentions of buying a new driver without a fit, my concern was my swing being "good" enough to hit balls consistently for evaluation

If that's the case, then I would just get a little practice in until you have a repeatable swing that you're comfortable with.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Check out this video. Should provide you with everything you need need to know. I think you'll be surprised how much a fitting could benefit you

dude......that video plus the high handicap driver fitting one make me wanna run out tomorrow and spend $$$ lol

Have to agree with the majority here. I may also suggest an updated or new wedges as well. Inevitably you will be chipping/pitching and hitting a lot of shots inside 100 yds. New grooves will help you hold a few more greens while your getting back at it.

In regards to other clubs, I'm not sure irons will play all that much different until your swing is more grooved but with the driver there are a lot of adjustable options out there that will help with a slice and as you get better you can adjust to more neutral.

Good luck on your return.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Another benefit of a good fitting is that the fitter can suggest changes to the set make-up of your bag; for example if you haven't played in a while have you hit a hybrid? Or game improvement irons with graphite shafts?

Also, IMHO, would suggest you consider making step-by-step changes to your bag from the bottom up ... eg. maybe demo some newer putters first, then look at some wedges, then different types of irons, then maybe hybrids (or fairway woods).

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

So my instructor says to replace the driver first but im at a point where my driver game is struggling and i dont wanna go drop a chunk on money on a club im going to slice anyway. 

I think your answer is here,  talk to your instructor.  A slice isn't the result of a particular driver unless you have a shaft that is really bad for your swing.  A slice is caused by face angle and club path.  Fix that and you can hit most drivers straight.  A newer more forgiving driver will help you not lose distance on mishits.  As others have said, it doesn't have to be a break the bank kind of thing;  you can get some great inexpensive drivers that are a couple of years old.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think your answer is here,  talk to your instructor.  A slice isn't the result of a particular driver unless you have a shaft that is really bad for your swing.  A slice is caused by face angle and club path.  Fix that and you can hit most drivers straight.  A newer more forgiving driver will help you not lose distance on mishits.  As others have said, it doesn't have to be a break the bank kind of thing;  you can get some great inexpensive drivers that are a couple of years old.  

right, but with the adjustability of weight and face angle of new drivers would i benefit?

Frankly, I'm a bit dismayed that your instructor is pushing you into getting new clubs, or even a driver.

Because the reality is that no club is going to make you better or hit it straighter.

It's not the arrow, it's the indian.

It's not like technology has changed all that much in the last 10 or 15 years, it's not like your clubs are left-overs from the 1980s - and as others have suggested, it would be foolhardy on your part investing in clubs only to have your swing change and then you find out that the clubs you bought don't suit you any better than your old ones.

Spend your money this year on lessons and developing a swing, that's repeatable and playable, and then next year invest in new clubs.

I respectfully disagree. I do think newer clubs have a difference in performance. For me, I gained 20 yards when I switched from the TM R7 SuperQuad to the 2017 M1. That is a big difference. I am hitting PW into greens I might have originally been hitting 8i into. I think clubs make a difference, but developing a repeatable swing should be the first priority.

Frankly, I'm a bit dismayed that your instructor is pushing you into getting new clubs, or even a driver.

Because the reality is that no club is going to make you better or hit it straighter.

It's not the arrow, it's the indian.

It's not like technology has changed all that much in the last 10 or 15 years, it's not like your clubs are left-overs from the 1980s - and as others have suggested, it would be foolhardy on your part investing in clubs only to have your swing change and then you find out that the clubs you bought don't suit you any better than your old ones.

Spend your money this year on lessons and developing a swing, that's repeatable and playable, and then next year invest in new clubs.

its much less of a push than it is a suggestion that if im going to replace something start with that because its the oldest and the newer designs would yield the most benefit?

As someone who plays older clubs due to budget reasons, I can tell you that there are some GREAT options of older models for little $ nothing wrong with an older model driver that's new to you giving you some confidence on the tee box. I got my covert 2.0 new from eBay for $85 two years ago. Would recommend!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Kudos to you for taking lessons.

I would follow his advice he's the professional, we aren't. From everything that I know about golf (much of which you be learned here) there is some good advice and very miss informed advice in this thread.

Getting fit is ideal, if not the next best thing would be to ask him what his recommendation would be in regards to driver and iron type. Driver first makes the most sense because it has the greatest impact on your score, putter next then wedges or irons.

Also because of the head size there is more technology in the driver.

Your budget will determine whether to buy new or slightly used (big savings and very little give away in terms of performance)

The proper equipment will help you advance quicker.

Listen to the Pro, good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

right, but with the adjustability of weight and face angle of new drivers would i benefit?

Weights and adjustability have been around a while and there are many options available that are less than 5 years old. They are great for fine tuning but will not turn a 30 yard slice into a straight ball flight.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Weights and adjustability have been around a while and there are many options available that are less than 5 years old. They are great for fine tuning but will not turn a 30 yard slice into a straight ball flight.

yea im currently working with a 12+ year old Nike Ignite 360cc driver lol

What you will gain with drivers from the last 5ish years is headsize and forgiveness on mishits. You would also likely see distance gains from a newer driver even if it isn't fit properly.

You don't have to switch, lots of players score well with old clubs, but they have solid fundamentals. If you were looking for some new clubs, driver is probably the first place to look.

What you will gain with drivers from the last 5ish years is headsize and forgiveness on mishits. You would also likely see distance gains from a newer driver even if it isn't fit properly.

You don't have to switch, lots of players score well with old clubs, but they have solid fundamentals. If you were looking for some new clubs, driver is probably the first place to look.

we will see, heading to get a fit in a couple hours, if we can make some improvement great, if its not worth spending the money on equipment at least i have that piece of mind as well. $50 well spent

360? You might see improvement instantly if you switch to a 460cc driver. 360 is super small and harder to hit.

I definitely would look at used or last year generation clubs. If you're not comfortable with your driver, i would pick up irons first so you can receive the technology increase there first.

Definitely go and get a proper fitting on your irons.

Ok, sorry for the long story in advance

Im recently (like a month ago) back to the game since my teens, i have played a little as an adult but pretty much just to drink beer. So now i want to play and learn a bit more seriously.

Currently in the bag I have an old Nike Ignite driver, probably over 12 years old, and Nike Slingshot OSS irons, probably 10 years old? So my instructor says to replace the driver first but im at a point where my driver game is struggling and i dont wanna go drop a chunk on money on a club im going to slice anyway. So will a new driver make that much of a difference in hitting the ball straighter? do I spend the money on more modern irons because i hit them better right now? or leave everything alone unltil i can hit everything I have straightish? and go!

Cut an inch off your current driver, spend $8 on a new grip, and off you go.

The best way to see positive results is by consistently hitting the sweet spot. Once you are consistently hitting the driver straight, then worry about new technology that will give you some extra yards.

If you are slicing your driver now, a hotter face or newer technology is just gonna send it farther to the right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I'm in the same camp generally as most of the guys here. You might even take it step further and get your instructor to go with you to help select some irons and driver etc. Save a ton of money and still have some of the greatest golf technology out there.

As a bonus especially with the driver; once you're on the practice tee with your instructor ask him to help you "dial-in" your driver. They're all adjustable these days.

Best of luck with your new game!

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I would say if you are getting lessons and the instructor says driver then get fitted for a driver it's hard to play golf from the trees

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Well went and did a driver fitting, I hit the Ping G400, Callaway Rogue, The M3, and the Cobra F8, got a few different shafts, I hit the Ping and the Cobra instantly better. Still hitting with left to right ball flight but the fitter was able to see that my club path was really good, which I already knew from lessons, so he said it's likely that my hips are faster than my hands, so sometimg to work on during lessons. I ended up with the Cobra as I was able to hit it more consistently straight and it has more adjustability as my swing develops, club head speed averaged 95 so he put me in a stiffer shaft. Here's the real shocking number, best carry distance with my old Nike 175, Cobra F8 217! How's that for technology!

Archived