TESTERS WANTED! ×

Opinions on what clubs to replace first

willc1980

Frankly, I'm a bit dismayed that your instructor is pushing you into getting new clubs, or even a driver.

Because the reality is that no club is going to make you better or hit it straighter.

It's not the arrow, it's the indian.

It's not like technology has changed all that much in the last 10 or 15 years, it's not like your clubs are left-overs from the 1980s - and as others have suggested, it would be foolhardy on your part investing in clubs only to have your swing change and then you find out that the clubs you bought don't suit you any better than your old ones.

Spend your money this year on lessons and developing a swing, that's repeatable and playable, and then next year invest in new clubs.

Couldnt have said it better myself..

A good player can hit garbage clubs. It wouldn't hurt to visit a different instructor either

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

But that said, pretty much any 460 driver can be found at a garage sale, with some big ole cavity back irons for less than $100.

Then, get that swing figured out.

Couldnt have said it better myself..

A good player can hit garbage clubs. It wouldn't hurt to visit a different instructor either

yes a good player can hit garbage clubs because they have the skill to make up for the lack of forgiveness, etc

I'm sorry am I missing something? Why would we disparage a teacher that recommends an equipment change away from a 12 year old driver for one of his students? My teacher would and he has several students who have earned DI golf scholarships and are playing on a variety of tours.

I'd be uncomfortable with a teacher who didn't make that recommendation. Golf is hard, there have been significant technological advances to make it a bit easier over the last twelve years. Taking advantage of them will make it a bit easier to improve. No one is saying it will make you Jack Nicklaus but moving to a fully fit set could shave five strokes off your average score - fully fit. Driver could save a two strokes of that easily - a few extra yards and one less penalty stroke per round.

Again my advice would be to follow your teachers advice. He's the expert.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm sorry am I missing something? Why would we disparage a teacher that recommends an equipment change away from a 12 year old driver for one of his students? My teacher would and he has several students who have earned DI golf scholarships and are playing on a variety of tours.

I'd be uncomfortable with a teacher who didn't make that recommendation. Golf is hard, there have been significant technological advances to make it a bit easier over the last twelve years. Taking advantage of them will make it a bit easier to improve. No one is saying it will make you Jack Nicklaus but moving to a fully fit set could shave five strokes off your average score - fully fit. Driver could save a two strokes of that easily - a few extra yards and one less penalty stroke per round.

Again my advice would be to follow your teachers advice. He's the expert.

I didn't disparage the instructor. I merely suggest that it doesn't hurt to try different teachers. I think that it's possible that some can reach a player better than others, as I've gone to many different over my career. And many didn't “reach” my brain. Some did.

Hitting a 30 yard slice is a fundamental swing problem that a new driver isn't going to fix.

But I do agree that newer clubs wouldn't hurt anything.

@Sluggo - you weren't the only one - I should have been more specific. I've had 4 teachers in my life and went to a golf school. Only one was a miss and that was a long, long time ago.

So it could be that I'm biased towards teaching pros. IMO and experience they are pretty good at what they do.

What if it's the wrong shaft to go with a far less forgiving head? The equipment could be holding him back on a big way. A good, experienced player can adjust to equipment and play fairly well. It's actually more important for a developing player to have something close to the right equipment. I remain convinced that the teacher is right.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm with Rev again here- he should be listening to his instructor. Plus, it makes sense- your drive sets up your game, and if you think it's not the arrow, go try an Ignite 360 on for size.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

So I feel I took the wrong route in upgrading my clubs. I started with my driver and ended with my wedges over a period of 3 years.

The reason I say I went the wrong route was my lack of understanding the game of golf. With many stats saying 60-70% of shots on the course occur within 125 yards of the hole, I should have focused on my wedges and putter to start.

I just finally completed my wedge set this year (PW - Ping G30 from my iron set, 52 Titelist Vokey 56 and 64 Cleveland RTX 2.0) and have already seen a noticeable change in my game.

I always purchased pre-owned and highly recommend this for the budget conscious.

I hope this helps you in deciding what clubs to focus on in your bag.

If nothing else, I would spend money on a good set of lessons or a fitting. Just to give myself things to think about for the future of my game and purchases.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

So I feel I took the wrong route in upgrading my clubs. I started with my driver and ended with my wedges over a period of 3 years.

The reason I say I went the wrong route was my lack of understanding the game of golf. With many stats saying 60-70% of shots on the course occur within 125 yards of the hole, I should have focused on my wedges and putter to start.

I just finally completed my wedge set this year (PW - Ping G30 from my iron set, 52 Titelist Vokey 56 and 64 Cleveland RTX 2.0) and have already seen a noticeable change in my game.

I always purchased pre-owned and highly recommend this for the budget conscious.

If nothing else, I would spend money on a good set of lessons or a fitting. Just to give myself things to think about for the future of my game and purchases.

Good post about your experience ... good luck with your "new" ;-) short game!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Normally I would fully agree with your recommendation but this guy's teacher said Driver. That trumps our opinions about his game or equipment selection.

I absolutely think that it's a great move to go back a generation and save some dough.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Normally I would fully agree with your recommendation but this guy's teacher said Driver. That trumps our opinions about his game or equipment selection.

I absolutely think that it's a great move to go back a generation and save some dough.

And that makes complete sense. It makes way more sense to follow the guidance from a professional that is teaching you rather than just us dropping opinions in a forum.

I wanted to share my experiences to help people with what they are looking to do in the future and hope my mistakes can help someone that isn't able to get guidance from a professional.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

And that makes complete sense. It makes way more sense to follow the guidance from a professional that is teaching you rather than just us dropping opinions in a forum.

I wanted to share my experiences to help people with what they are looking to do in the future and hope my mistakes can help someone that isn't able to get guidance from a professional.

my only concern with used was not really knowing what shaft i needed, i figure i was a standard but ended up i needed a stiff

Great to see you're on the path to better golf.

Lessons, properly fitting equipment and practice are the key. Glad you took advice from a professional rather than someone who's never seen you swing a club.

Hopefully the improvements continue and your scores come down.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

What I believe is if you hit everything the same I'd start replacing the clubs you use most. But what do I know I didn't even follow my own rules... big shiny drivers yeah I'm buying that.. get in the car and “I'm an idiot”

Ok, sorry for the long story in advance

Im recently (like a month ago) back to the game since my teens, i have played a little as an adult but pretty much just to drink beer. So now i want to play and learn a bit more seriously.

Currently in the bag I have an old Nike Ignite driver, probably over 12 years old, and Nike Slingshot OSS irons, probably 10 years old? So my instructor says to replace the driver first but im at a point where my driver game is struggling and i dont wanna go drop a chunk on money on a club im going to slice anyway. So will a new driver make that much of a difference in hitting the ball straighter? do I spend the money on more modern irons because i hit them better right now? or leave everything alone unltil i can hit everything I have straightish? and go!

bit late to the party but if you look at certain players on both the senior and regular tours you'll notice not all of them have the latest gear, Bernhardt Langer is a great example and until just recently I think Brandt Snedeker was using the older Taylormade burned driver.

Having said that don't think I mean don't upgrade I'm just saying if the current setup setup is working then choose wisely.

To answer your question I can't say I agree with a new driver equaling straighter ball flight but your instructor may have been insinuating you will see a more immediate gain in upgrading the driver (WITH A FITTING!) and some work on your swing than you would in purchasing some new irons right now which I could understand from experience.

Right Handed

4.5 handicap

Driver: Nike Vapor Flex with Mitsubishi Rayon Fubuki ZT60x5ct S-flex shaft and stock grip.

3-Metal: Nike VRS 15 degree with Mitsubishi Rayon tour issue Diamana S73x5ct X-flex shaft and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grip.

Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, 42, 46 degrees standard length and lie with KBS Tour-V stiff shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Wedges: Ben Hogan TK15 54, 58 degrees with KBS Tour-V X-flex shafts and GolfPride MCC midsize Black/White grips.

Putter: Nike Method Converge B1|01 with Superstroke Flatso 2.0 grip.

bit late to the party but if you look at certain players on both the senior and regular tours you'll notice not all of them have the latest gear, Bernhardt Langer is a great example and until just recently I think Brandt Snedeker was using the older Taylormade burned driver.

Having said that don't think I mean don't upgrade I'm just saying if the current setup setup is working then choose wisely.

To answer your question I can't say I agree with a new driver equaling straighter ball flight but your instructor may have been insinuating you will see a more immediate gain in upgrading the driver (WITH A FITTING!) and some work on your swing than you would in purchasing some new irons right now which I could understand from experience.

Yea he would kill me if I ran out and got a driver without getting fit, I have been hitting it straighter. I just picked it up a few days ago so I only have 2 range sessions worth of practice with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you work on your swing and learn to really strike the ball, it won't matter what clubs you play. I learned how to play using older snakeyes blades, and they really forced me to learn to hit the middle of the club. The only thing that would have an effect on the direction of your shot could be the flex of the shaft that you use. Other than that, I see no need for you to spend money on new clubs until you know you are back into the game and strike the ball consistently.

Sent from my iPod touch using MyGolfSpy

Archived