willc1980

Opinions on what clubs to replace first

Weights and adjustability have been around a while and there are many options available that are less than 5 years old. They are great for fine tuning but will not turn a 30 yard slice into a straight ball flight.

yea im currently working with a 12+ year old Nike Ignite 360cc driver lol

• Like 1

What you will gain with drivers from the last 5ish years is headsize and forgiveness on mishits. You would also likely see distance gains from a newer driver even if it isn't fit properly.

You don't have to switch, lots of players score well with old clubs, but they have solid fundamentals. If you were looking for some new clubs, driver is probably the first place to look.

• Like 2

What you will gain with drivers from the last 5ish years is headsize and forgiveness on mishits. You would also likely see distance gains from a newer driver even if it isn't fit properly.

You don't have to switch, lots of players score well with old clubs, but they have solid fundamentals. If you were looking for some new clubs, driver is probably the first place to look.

we will see, heading to get a fit in a couple hours, if we can make some improvement great, if its not worth spending the money on equipment at least i have that piece of mind as well. $50 well spent

• Like 1

360? You might see improvement instantly if you switch to a 460cc driver. 360 is super small and harder to hit.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I definitely would look at used or last year generation clubs. If you're not comfortable with your driver, i would pick up irons first so you can receive the technology increase there first.

Definitely go and get a proper fitting on your irons.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Ok, sorry for the long story in advance

Im recently (like a month ago) back to the game since my teens, i have played a little as an adult but pretty much just to drink beer. So now i want to play and learn a bit more seriously.

Currently in the bag I have an old Nike Ignite driver, probably over 12 years old, and Nike Slingshot OSS irons, probably 10 years old? So my instructor says to replace the driver first but im at a point where my driver game is struggling and i dont wanna go drop a chunk on money on a club im going to slice anyway. So will a new driver make that much of a difference in hitting the ball straighter? do I spend the money on more modern irons because i hit them better right now? or leave everything alone unltil i can hit everything I have straightish? and go!

Cut an inch off your current driver, spend $8 on a new grip, and off you go.

The best way to see positive results is by consistently hitting the sweet spot. Once you are consistently hitting the driver straight, then worry about new technology that will give you some extra yards.

If you are slicing your driver now, a hotter face or newer technology is just gonna send it farther to the right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I'm in the same camp generally as most of the guys here. You might even take it step further and get your instructor to go with you to help select some irons and driver etc. Save a ton of money and still have some of the greatest golf technology out there.

As a bonus especially with the driver; once you're on the practice tee with your instructor ask him to help you "dial-in" your driver. They're all adjustable these days.

Best of luck with your new game!

• Like 1

I would say if you are getting lessons and the instructor says driver then get fitted for a driver it's hard to play golf from the trees

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well went and did a driver fitting, I hit the Ping G400, Callaway Rogue, The M3, and the Cobra F8, got a few different shafts, I hit the Ping and the Cobra instantly better. Still hitting with left to right ball flight but the fitter was able to see that my club path was really good, which I already knew from lessons, so he said it's likely that my hips are faster than my hands, so sometimg to work on during lessons. I ended up with the Cobra as I was able to hit it more consistently straight and it has more adjustability as my swing develops, club head speed averaged 95 so he put me in a stiffer shaft. Here's the real shocking number, best carry distance with my old Nike 175, Cobra F8 217! How's that for technology!

• Like 4

Frankly, I'm a bit dismayed that your instructor is pushing you into getting new clubs, or even a driver.

Because the reality is that no club is going to make you better or hit it straighter.

It's not the arrow, it's the indian.

It's not like technology has changed all that much in the last 10 or 15 years, it's not like your clubs are left-overs from the 1980s - and as others have suggested, it would be foolhardy on your part investing in clubs only to have your swing change and then you find out that the clubs you bought don't suit you any better than your old ones.

Spend your money this year on lessons and developing a swing, that's repeatable and playable, and then next year invest in new clubs.

Couldnt have said it better myself..

A good player can hit garbage clubs. It wouldn't hurt to visit a different instructor either

• Like 1

But that said, pretty much any 460 driver can be found at a garage sale, with some big ole cavity back irons for less than $100.

Then, get that swing figured out.

• Like 1

Couldnt have said it better myself..

A good player can hit garbage clubs. It wouldn't hurt to visit a different instructor either

yes a good player can hit garbage clubs because they have the skill to make up for the lack of forgiveness, etc

I'm sorry am I missing something? Why would we disparage a teacher that recommends an equipment change away from a 12 year old driver for one of his students? My teacher would and he has several students who have earned DI golf scholarships and are playing on a variety of tours.

I'd be uncomfortable with a teacher who didn't make that recommendation. Golf is hard, there have been significant technological advances to make it a bit easier over the last twelve years. Taking advantage of them will make it a bit easier to improve. No one is saying it will make you Jack Nicklaus but moving to a fully fit set could shave five strokes off your average score - fully fit. Driver could save a two strokes of that easily - a few extra yards and one less penalty stroke per round.

Again my advice would be to follow your teachers advice. He's the expert.

• Like 4

I'm sorry am I missing something? Why would we disparage a teacher that recommends an equipment change away from a 12 year old driver for one of his students? My teacher would and he has several students who have earned DI golf scholarships and are playing on a variety of tours.

I'd be uncomfortable with a teacher who didn't make that recommendation. Golf is hard, there have been significant technological advances to make it a bit easier over the last twelve years. Taking advantage of them will make it a bit easier to improve. No one is saying it will make you Jack Nicklaus but moving to a fully fit set could shave five strokes off your average score - fully fit. Driver could save a two strokes of that easily - a few extra yards and one less penalty stroke per round.

Again my advice would be to follow your teachers advice. He's the expert.

I didn't disparage the instructor. I merely suggest that it doesn't hurt to try different teachers. I think that it's possible that some can reach a player better than others, as I've gone to many different over my career. And many didn't “reach” my brain. Some did.

Hitting a 30 yard slice is a fundamental swing problem that a new driver isn't going to fix.

But I do agree that newer clubs wouldn't hurt anything.

• Like 1

@Sluggo - you weren't the only one - I should have been more specific. I've had 4 teachers in my life and went to a golf school. Only one was a miss and that was a long, long time ago.

So it could be that I'm biased towards teaching pros. IMO and experience they are pretty good at what they do.

What if it's the wrong shaft to go with a far less forgiving head? The equipment could be holding him back on a big way. A good, experienced player can adjust to equipment and play fairly well. It's actually more important for a developing player to have something close to the right equipment. I remain convinced that the teacher is right.

• Like 2

at the end of the day i hit the new one further and straighter, still have lots of work to do on my own game and that wont stop either, at least i have a club i can adapt as i get better

• Like 3

I'm with Rev again here- he should be listening to his instructor. Plus, it makes sense- your drive sets up your game, and if you think it's not the arrow, go try an Ignite 360 on for size.

• Like 2

So I feel I took the wrong route in upgrading my clubs. I started with my driver and ended with my wedges over a period of 3 years.

The reason I say I went the wrong route was my lack of understanding the game of golf. With many stats saying 60-70% of shots on the course occur within 125 yards of the hole, I should have focused on my wedges and putter to start.

I just finally completed my wedge set this year (PW - Ping G30 from my iron set, 52 Titelist Vokey 56 and 64 Cleveland RTX 2.0) and have already seen a noticeable change in my game.

I always purchased pre-owned and highly recommend this for the budget conscious.

I hope this helps you in deciding what clubs to focus on in your bag.

If nothing else, I would spend money on a good set of lessons or a fitting. Just to give myself things to think about for the future of my game and purchases.

• Like 3

So I feel I took the wrong route in upgrading my clubs. I started with my driver and ended with my wedges over a period of 3 years.

The reason I say I went the wrong route was my lack of understanding the game of golf. With many stats saying 60-70% of shots on the course occur within 125 yards of the hole, I should have focused on my wedges and putter to start.

I just finally completed my wedge set this year (PW - Ping G30 from my iron set, 52 Titelist Vokey 56 and 64 Cleveland RTX 2.0) and have already seen a noticeable change in my game.

I always purchased pre-owned and highly recommend this for the budget conscious.

I hope this helps you in deciding what clubs to focus on in your bag.

If nothing else, I would spend money on a good set of lessons or a fitting. Just to give myself things to think about for the future of my game and purchases.

Good post about your experience ... good luck with your "new" ;-) short game!
  • Like 2