TESTERS WANTED! ×

suggestions for player's irons?

golfplaya

i have the mp 68s. hit them well but i play in junior tournaments and figure that i'm going to need help on some of my bad days. so i'm looking for something slightley more forgiving but still a players iron.

i am also thinking about bagging an older set. such as nike cci forged, tour preferred, old ap2, oldest x forged. any thoughts?

only problem is that they might now have conforming grooves to the rules of competition.

any thoughts or suggestions???

ADAMS CB2 they are a fantastic forged iron with forgiveness I bag the a4 irons and two of the guys I play with regularly bought them also The CB2's are the same iron in a gun metal color . The CB1 model could be something to consider they are made for the player much better than me

. Good hunting and be happy with what you buy because 10 seconds after you pay for them some OEM will bring out the next greatest set know to man.

i have the mp 68s. hit them well but i play in junior tournaments and figure that i'm going to need help on some of my bad days. so i'm looking for something slightley more forgiving but still a players iron.

i am also thinking about bagging an older set. such as nike cci forged, tour preferred, old ap2, oldest x forged. any thoughts?

only problem is that they might now have conforming grooves to the rules of competition.

any thoughts or suggestions???

Why not try a split set? For example, Nike VR cavity 3 and 4 irons, Split-Forged 5-7 irons and VR forged 8-PW? Or Split-forged 3-6i, Vr Forged 7-PW? You can substitute any make and model you please (with any combination of clubs)... Bridgestone had their J36 Pocket lineup (can't remember the true name, but that's what I called it) that could be mixed and matched how you pleased. Or get half AP1s, the other half AP2s... Point is, you get help on longer shots, but more precise feedback for shorter shots. So long as they're properly fit (and you like the looks) you can game any brand you want. That's where the fun part comes in- testing! Go see a proshop or local clubfitter and don't stop looking/hitting until you're ABSOLUTELY satisfied... even if you go with an older set, you're still making an investment.

I've been looking at irons all year and have not found anything that has made me pull the trigger but my top contenders have been the Adams CB1s, Titleist AP2 and Mizuno MP58. I really want to check out the new Cobra CBs and the Adams MB and Callaway Protos which is mainly why I have not made a switch.

That and the fact that while I like the look and feel of all these clubs a bit better than I like my current Cleveland Reds, I honestly cannot say that I think I hit them any better or get better results from them, so as much as I want new toys, I haven't been able to justify spending the money on them!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

http://www.golfio.com/golf-equipment/adams-idea-pro-gold-forged-iron-set/51517.htm

This is the set I bought this summer. The irons start at 5 iron. 3&4 are hybrids. This worked out great for me,since my swingspeed has dropped over the years( I am 63) and the hybrids work great, I found the whole set for $265.00 on ebay.

Driver-Wishon 715CLC- AXE5 A shaft tipeed 1/2"
Fairway -Sonartec SS-02 17*-SS Series Penley Regular shaft
Hybrid-21 & 25 degree Trident DSW Hybrid-UST Irod regular shaft
(2009 version)
Irons- 5-PW-Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release sensicore R(5&6 soft stepped,-7,8 and 9 normal and PW hard stepped)
Wedges-52-Wilson Staff JP II BeCu(Bent from 54*) TT Release R   hard stepped

56-Wilson Sandy Andy BeCu-TT Release R tipped same as 8 iron

60-Wilson Harmonized BeCu-(shaft same as 56*)
Putter-Nickent Tour Prototype Milled #1-35.5"-5* loft-74*Lie

Driver-Wishon 715CLC- AXE5 A shaft tipeed 1/2"
Fairway -Sonartec SS-02 17*-SS Series Penley Regular shaft
Hybrid-21 & 25 degree Trident DSW Hybrid-UST Irod regular shaft
(2009 version)
Irons- 5-PW-Wilson Staff Progressive Forged-TT Release sensicore R(5&6 soft stepped,-7,8 and 9 normal and PW hard stepped)
Wedges-52-Wilson Staff JP II BeCu(Bent from 54*) TT Release R   hard stepped

56-Wilson Sandy Andy BeCu-TT Release R tipped same as 8 iron

60-Wilson Harmonized BeCu-(shaft same as 56*)
Putter-Nickent Tour Prototype Milled #1-35.5"-5* loft-74*Lie

Archived