TESTERS WANTED! ×

New VS Old

jturner7499

The main thing I wanted to talk about here (and I'm sure I have more questions than answers) is face technology on putters.

Most of the big name club manufacturers come out with a slew of putters every year featuring their newest groove and insert tech that is supposed to help the player roll a putt easier and with more consistency then ever.

My biggest questions on this are 1) How much proof do they have that their tech works with real players? 2) if it does work then why do some of the most notable tour players still use 20 year old putters? 3) Would having the same putter with different face groove patterns and inserts be able to help your players depending on the course conditions they play in?

Feel free to leave your opinions below, I would love to hear what everyone has to say.

P.S if I'm wrong, feel free to tell me

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

My biggest questions on this are 1) How much proof do they have that their tech works with real players? 2) if it does work then why do some of the most notable tour players still use 20 year old putters? 3) Would having the same putter with different face groove patterns and inserts be able to help your players depending on the course conditions they play in?

Here are my thoughts on your questions

1. What kind of proof do you need? I am sure most companies can come up with measurements that support their claims. The bigger question is if what they are testing is relevant to improving putting. I think having a putter with the proper loft provides better more consistent roll than any face insert. Just because a putter or any club for that matter works for a player does not mean it is the right club for you

2. Your players have specific feels and distances that they know. Occasionally this technology will change these things and the player doesn't want to relearn the feel or distance. Examples: evnroll and ping grooves cause the ball to come off the face slower than a non grooves version. Sean Toulon told me about one time he got tiger to try one of his putters: Tiger took 1 putt handed him back the putter, said it was nice but rolled the ball too far. Some players are just as guilty as amateurs and will chase the latest and greatest or go back to something that worked in the past.

3. I wouldn't want to change putters inserts between rounds based on reasons above. Also your greens are pretty consistent from course to course.

These are my thoughts, Based on things I have learned from my putting instructor.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I don't think new putters make a big difference. You have Jordan using an old SC. Then you have guys who swear by the original PING Anser. When you find the right putter, you keep it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I thought the same as GolfJunkie302 above but have decided that I am open to rethinking the subject. I am basing this on 4 reviews that I have seen.

There are three MGS reviews that really got me most of the way on this journey. The first two I looked at are the 2017 best mallet putter and best blade putter reviews. Evnroll won both of those tests. Among Evnroll putters and a Ping Putter the Evnroll ER2 won as the best overall performing putter in the 3rd review.

Most recently I found a review in which they did center and off center robotic testing at 25' and confirmed that evnroll putters are more consistent across the face of the hitting area and the results corresponded to their claims.

These tests show me that an Evnroll putter will help most golfers roll the ball more consistently on their intended line.

Based upon these 4 points, I will be purchasing an evnroll putter this year. I am convinced that it will help me be more consistent. That will increase my chances of making puts or controlling them.

If I get a chance I might go to somewhere that sells Evnroll and try several but barring that I feel for me the ER2 will be the best choice.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

I don't think new putters make a big difference. You have Jordan using an old SC. Then you have guys who swear by the original PING Anser. When you find the right putter, you keep it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

This, all this lol. To me, putting is all feel. New tech is great because it gives the player another option in feel and weight. But once you find something your should stick with it.

I'm an anser player myself, old school, smooth face and no insert. It just works for me. I swapped to a 2 ball putter for a bit but have since gone back to the ping. Any time I'm in a golf shop I'll try out a few of the new clubs just to see what's available but I always keep coming back to my ping.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I buy it to an extent. The face technology isn't nearly as important as the correct arc for the putter.

A Phil style heel putter may look great and I have several friends who gravitate towards these. Unfortunately as many of us know, it does not work well with a straight back and through stroke. It is a difficult method to sell, putting for the general public is so psychological that most folks purchase a putter based upon how cool it looks.

How many would benefit from an Odyssey 2 ball, rather they want the $500 Cameron Newport because it looks cooler?

Next take the loft.

If there was one option that is significantly limited, it is the loft of a putter. This presumes that we all strike the ball at the proper angle on the upstroke and thus promote a good forward and true roll.

I am a believer that there is technology for promoting a true roll. As far as retail goes, most putters are exclusively based upon a certain loft and lie and limit the optimal technology available.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Once again... I too don't put much stock is fancy and or expensive putters. I have an expensive Edel that putts no better or worse than a $39 Odyssey I purchased at Academy years ago. The Edel feels good and it's lofted and weighted - counterbalanced well. It putts just fine. However, if it were to go missing I'd go back to the Odyssey in a heat beat. And never skip a beat. For me as long as I like the look and feel of a putter I'm good to go.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I really appreciate all the fees back guys and would have to say that I am interested in the tech side of the industry as far as things like EVNROLL for their proven consistency. However, I currently use an original Ping PAL with a super stroke mid slim 2.0 grip.

Keep the feedback coming!

I'm in the "it's all about feel" camp, but would add confidence to that. I'm sure manufacturers could provide a ton of data otherwise, but I think the issues you see with players and putting come down to feel and confidence.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

For those in the feel is the most important thing category,  do you believe you are the best putter you could possibly be?   If you don't make every putt then there is room for some improvement.  Given the same feel with added face technology that minimizes dispersion and distance loss on off center hits do you think you could be a better putter?  The question wasn't about cost or feel of the putter,  but could face technology help players putt better and if it does why don't people use those putters. 

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Trying not to sound too argumentative, because I think this is a really interesting topic, I respectfully offer my rebuttal:

For those in the feel is the most important thing category,  do you believe you are the best putter you could possibly be? 

Of course not.  I'm just not convinced that a putter with new technology would improve my putting the way an hour a day on the putting green would.  Could it make me marginally better?  Perhaps.

If you don't make every putt then there is room for some improvement.

Of course, but I don't find it reasonable or realistic to think I could make every putt.  I don't believe there's a putter made that's going to make a significant difference on my attempt to hole a 45 footer with three breaks and a ridge in the middle.  There's a reason that hitting a green in regulation leaves two strokes to par.

Given the same feel with added face technology that minimizes dispersion and distance loss on off center hits do you think you could be a better putter? 

Sure, if you could actually hand me a putter that gave me the same feel as my Rife, but had super face technology.  But that's the real trick, isn't it?  Getting the same feel with different technology.  Heck, I've been in the store and tested "identical' putters (face/shaft/grip etc. supposedly exactly alike) that had distinctly different feel.  If the technology made that much of a difference, the feel wouldn't matter.

The question wasn't about cost or feel of the putter,  but could face technology help players putt better and if it does why don't people use those putters. 

I'm not sure claiming that feel is the most important aspect isn't answering the question.  I think the fact that people don't use those putters actually answers that question to begin with.  I could use a putter that cuts my dispersion in half, but if I'm not confident in the feel and I end up with a stroke that doubles the error, I'm right back where I started from.

I think that you could give me a piece of 2x4 on the end of a piece of broomstick, and if I prefer the feel and it makes me confident in what I'm doing, I'll probably putt better with that than a new technology putter that I can't get a feel for and have no confidence in.

The defense rests (for the time being.)

Respectfully submitted,

00sportsman

My Bag:

Don't find your responses argumentative at all. I think the answer really lies within the personality of the golfer. You would like a player that is admittedly feel based. To you mechanics or technology isn't how you assess things. You generally assess the curve of a putt and feel how far the putter need to move for a particular length putt. you may find things like puttlab interesting but not defining in any way. Mechanics are used by nit relied upon; feel is you mechanics.

I start at the other end. I want to understand strike mechanics and how the design characteristic influence the rotation. I want to see how my stroke looks on puttlab and how different toe hangs and weight change the stroke. People like me start with measuring how far a putt will roll by figuring Out how far my hands need to move or what spot the putterhead needs to move too. Aimpoint is a solid way to judge break. Mechanic are a focus but they become a feel.

People are different and that is why you see these types of back and forth. You don't buy into my mechanics argument and I don't buy into you totally feel argument.

I really appreciate all the fees back guys and would have to say that I am interested in the tech side of the industry as far as things like EVNROLL for their proven consistency. However, I currently use an original Ping PAL with a super stroke mid slim 2.0 grip.

Keep the feedback coming!

Have you ever been fit for putter before? I used the same putter for ten years with a tweak after 5 by a fitter. The tweak lowered my handicap index by a full stroke.

I keep seeing touring pros mentioned. What do they have to do with any of us? The best players here are around a plus two. That's not even on the same planet as a regular tour player, let alone Jordan Spieth. Don't worry about them, try to find out what's best for your game. That seems like the intent of the thread. So my recommendation would be go and get fit, try the fitters recommendation and practice your putting a lot.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I keep seeing touring pros mentioned. What do they have to do with any of us?

Must be something to what the pros are playing. After Reeds win at the Masters odyssey white hot pro #3 putters have quadrupled in price. 🤪

In my opinion whether you believe in putter fitting or not, you need to be able to consistently roll the ball on your intended line at the appropriate speed. If you do this with a 50 year old putter or the latest and greatest putter you are doing everything you can to make putts.

If you can't hit the line at the right speed you need to figure out how to accomplish these tasks. Just like any other golf club You can change your feel/mechanics to fit the putter or you can change the putter to fit your feel/mechanics. Additionally you can apply technology to help when the stroke isn't perfect.

In the end whatever approach you take to find the right golf club or putter it is a form of fitting. Some are more technical in nature and some are less technical. This is the same approach that the pros take with their clubs so it does actually apply to everyday golfers.

Numbers don't lie. Tech works and looks and feel don't matter.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Don't forget Mark Twain: "There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

My Bag:

I agree with this for the most part but believe looks and feel contribute as well.

For looks, playing a putter with any glare or too light a colour causes problems.  I need a high contrast between the putter and sight lines or they become more of a distraction as I focus on a fuzzy line with my failing eyes.

As ar as feel goes I have had 3 putters I could roll very straight, my current Mizuno, a SC square back and an Odyssey I can't recall the model.  Practicing at home all 3 were equal.  On the course I had major issues with distance control with the SC and Odyssey.  I may blame the problem as feel but it may have been something technical like incorrect loft causing the ball to skid.  All i know was I could not get consistency with any but the Mizuno.

I set up a putter fitting now that they received their Evnroll putters, I am hoping to find the best of everything.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Must be something to what the pros are playing. After Reeds win at the Masters odyssey white hot pro #3 putters have quadrupled in price. 🤪

In my opinion whether you believe in putter fitting or not, you need to be able to consistently roll the ball on your intended line at the appropriate speed. If you do this with a 50 year old putter or the latest and greatest putter you are doing everything you can to make putts.

If you can't hit the line at the right speed you need to figure out how to accomplish these tasks. Just like any other golf club You can change your feel/mechanics to fit the putter or you can change the putter to fit your feel/mechanics. Additionally you can apply technology to help when the stroke isn't perfect.

In the end whatever approach you take to find the right golf club or putter it is a form of fitting. Some are more technical in nature and some are less technical. This is the same approach that the pros take with their clubs so it does actually apply to everyday golfers.

I still only buy into this in a limited way.

Here's why - the access that a pro has to equipment is far beyond what is realistic for most of us. It's his job, we have lots of other distractions. In many cases he is being paid to use a piece of equipment which can the be tweaked or even over hauled to make it work.

99 percent of the time the pro will have a huge advantage in familiarity with his putter over any of us because he's using it for two hours every day of the week either to practice or in competition.

It's not the same. I would argue that a recreational golfer (98 percent of us) who doesn't take advantage of putter technology to help mitigate against mishits and gain consistency is putting himself at a disadvantage. Those putters build in what the tour pro practices in.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I think its feel over real when it comes to putters!

I've done the Ping fit saying I have a strong arc so I 'need' a toe hang putter! Personally I really like the toe hang looks like the anser style but when I tried a SBST mallet it just felt so solid and sat so square to my intended line. I still try toe hang Ping answer styles even scottys but the Taylormade Vicino spider is just so damn nice to putt with, its confidence building and I think putting is more mental than physical.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

This is fun

Of course putting is physical, the putter head must be delivered to the ball in a way to make it go on an intended line and an intended distance.

How conscious that process is? That's an entirely different matter.

According to Guerin Rife the pros hit the sweet spot of their putter 2/10 times. Miss the sweet spot, create a variable. That's pretty simple.

I will certainly concede that looks and feel (sound) of a putter matter and may significantly increase or decrease the chance of a player's success.

Putts are mishit as often as any either shot. I can grossly mishit a one foot putt and it will still go in the hole a high percentage of the time. No one may even know that I missed it that poorly. Same mid with driver and I'm hitting three, an iron and it's a bad word. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I like to find my own way. I always say I want to be fitted for my equipment, but I like to do it differently. I guess it's the lefty in me. For putting it has been a long road to find something that works consistently (by the way, I think I found it, crossing my fingers). I started with #9 style, liked the Looks and feel, couldn't make anything, too muchbtoe hand, switched and tried facebalanced, couldn't make much of anything, switched to plumbers neck slight arc, I started making some putts, but not consistent enough, so I tried different inserts, then no inserts, tried ping, Rife, Nike, all kinds of insert and non insert putters, what I found was that my line was good, so I have the correct type of putter, but I would always be short, always. Could never greet the speed and line right no matter what I tried. I have a putter from a friend, the Bettinardi, and I finally have a putter that allows me to make a good stroke on my line, but the ball comes of the face much hotter, and actually gets to, and past the hole. Sometimes you just have to search and find something. I probably could have gotten fitted and had this straightened out a couple years ago, but then I would miss the journey, and I would miss everything I learned about myself and my game along the way. So although the new tech can work, it may not work for you. Very few, maybe an Handful of guys I play golf with use the tech, and many of them are well above average in putting. Can it help, yes, will it help everyone, I don't think so.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I'm on the fence here. The new technology has made great gains in getting the ball rolling better with less hop and skip, but then again the technical advances seem to always be applied to old designs.

For me putting is all about feel and sound. I can putt lights out with the new spyders on a in-store green, but there's no feel and no sound and I wonder how well they will do on a real green for me.

I think the guys that use the old stuff do so for feel and for the fact they have just played them forever. I game an old anser, but I have put a ton of lead on it so I can get more consistency. Does the job, doesn't cost $400!

9CA6CD5A-45B5-4376-9BFA-7C330300DDE0.jpeg

F123E248-7CCC-4D3E-AE16-BA088356604D.jpeg

Driver - Ping G400Max 9.5 Tour 65S

3 Wood - Callaway Hawkeye UL S

Hybrid - Titleist 585h 21

Irons - 3-PW Callaway X-tour DG AMT R300

Wedges - 52, 56, 60 Vokey oil can

Putter: Ping Anser - the OG with a lot of lead tape on the sole.

^^^ Agreed on the feel. One of my favorite putters is an older White Hot Rossie that I picked up for $20. The weighting and feel are perfect. I have a newer Cleveland Huntington Beach that plays great as well, but when my number of putts per round creeps up, I go back to the Odyssey. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Feel is the sensation we are used to when the club meets the ball. For myself anyway feel comes with practice and adaptation to feel occurs with practice. All putters are going to have feel and I will learn to feel the stroke. It matters but only as an adaptation to using any given club. I suppose you could strip all feel out through a grip that totally isolates the vibrations moving from the club up the shaft, but otherwise all putters are going to provide a sensation that will give a sense of feel.

I tried out an Evnroll ER2 recently and I thought the “feel” was a lot like my current putter. The only reason I did not buy it is that I had to send too much money to my favorite uncle and some of his local relatives in mid April.

To expand on what I said above, my current putter is a slotline inertial. I have tried a number of putters lately to get an idea of what I like and what “feel” means to me. Within the bounds of putters from reputable brands, I don't see enough difference in feel that is going to matter whether I buy a new putter or not. No putter that I have tried had such a great “feel” that I thought I would make more puts. Instead I need more practice, and work on technique. The more time I spend on the practice green the more I get a “feel” for how far the ball will roll with a given stroke. My old putter serves that purpose just fine. I can't personally prove that the Evnroll putters are a better choice than what I have now, but based upon better results for a significant number of people under reasonably objective circumstances I believe that an Evnroll would give me the best chance of putting better of anything on the market.

I do not have the time or inclination to test every possible putter to pick the perfect one. For me practice is more important than the precise tool. I can learn to use the tool.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

Feel is the sensation we are used to when the club meets the ball. For myself anyway feel comes with practice and adaptation to feel occurs with practice. All putters are going to have feel and I will learn to feel the stroke. It matters but only as an adaptation to using any given club. I suppose you could strip all feel out through a grip that totally isolates the vibrations moving from the club up the shaft, but otherwise all putters are going to provide a sensation that will give a sense of feel.

I tried out an Evnroll ER2 recently and I thought the “feel” was a lot like my current putter. The only reason I did not buy it is that I had to send too much money to my favorite uncle and some of his local relatives in mid April.

Feel can be more than the feel/sound of the club hitting the ball. You also allude to the fact that Feel is also what you experience as you swing the club. Mechanics teach/ingrain the feel that the body needs to reproduce to hit the ball a certain distance. The sound aspect is some of the feedback we use to determine if the body is doing the right thing.

I think for me, I continue to use my putter because it is what I'm used to and I feel comfortable with it. That's probably why using anything else doesn't appeal to me, because it's all about look and feel. Putting is the best, most consistent part of my game. So changing putters doesn't make sense to me. And because my putter won't wear out like irons or a driver, I will most likely have my putter until I leave this earth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I got my slightly used Evnroll ER2 today, putter head feels slightly heavier than my old putter, the “feel” of the two to me was remarkably similar to my old slotline inertial. I was able to practice with it for about twenty minutes, I felt that I was able to immediately get the feeling I needed for short puts. I tried a few lag puts but right now am mostly working on 4 feet and in.

Does it make me better than my old one? I am not sure, I think that it is more consistent in the way the ball leaves the putter. It certainly did not cause any miracles. I like it though.

• 2 weeks later...

I was fit & game an ER2. Went from (app.) 38+ putts a round on average ... just shot my 1st round in the 70's ... a 79. 32 putts, (1) 3 putt & (5) 1 putts. The only change I made to my ER2 was a lighter grip. Distance is now dialed in. Works for me. Best $350 I ever spent. Just wish the head was black or grey.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk