TESTERS WANTED! ×

New VS Old

jturner7499

I can add my two cents to this conversation, but I think most of it had been said.

The face tech in an evnroll helps you on putts that you miss the center face on. That's basically it. If you have a putter that you hit dead center every time, an evnroll will do nothing for you.

But the reason most of us play a 460cc driver and cavity back irons is that we don't hit dead center every time. Choosing to play something other than a tech face putter is about the same as choosing to play blades and a persimmon wood driver.

I don't think my Er2 had helped my putting inside 5' one bit. But outside that and especially out at the 25' range where I am taking a good length poke at the ball, it has made a huge difference. Those longer putts that require a bigger swing were the ones that I'd miss center on, and the distance loss would be punishing.

Having a 30' putt that you toe hit by 1/2 inch and coming up 10' short sucks. For me, an evnroll turns that into being 2' short. Not three putting is what an evnroll does. (I say evnroll, but their are other face tech companies).

So, if you have a putter that you strike pure. stick with it. But if you miss hit a putt and don't want help... Please tell me how that wood driver and forged blade set is the best looking and best feeling set you have ever hit. You won't be wrong, but you won't be shooting your best scores.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I have an old Odyssey 9 white Hot customized with black shaft and Salty grip. I did love it, really did.

I listened to Adam's rant about putter tech and researched, searched and found an EvnRoll ER2 and bought it. It is really a departure. Seems to roll itself and once I became adjusted to the weight has been a great addition to my game. It's not magic, not forged by the gods, but it is better from all distances.

I am skeptical about tech most of the time. This time it has worked for me. It really has helped me putt better.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I was just about chat about a similar topic. I have had my first gen 2-ball putter for years and have never really felt the need to change. Alas the lure of new equipment always comes around. I have wanted a Scotty for as long as I can remember but now that I am contemplating buying one I don't know if I should.

I know golf spy have putter reviews out but I would've liked to see a review on the latest putters compared to their older models.

Would I be better hunting the net for cheaper, older putters? Putting is a mental game and I know that you should be able to putt with anything but comfort over the is key, that is probably why I've never changed. Don't want to fork out hundreds of pounds on something ill stick in a bag in the garage after a month of frustration. 

As for the different inserts, a guy I play with adds weight to his putter to play on winter greens to try and keep his putting consistent throughout the winter months when the greens are slower. Don't know if you could alter the weight of your putter to suit different green types. Would take a lot of tinkering to get the weights correct for each condition though.

It normally comes back to the old saying, if it aint broke, don't fix it. 

Cobra F6+ Driver

V-Steel 4 Wood

Titliest 916H Rescue Wood

Ben Sayers 2 Iron

Mizuno MP5 Irons

Cleveland Zip Core Wedges, 58, 54, 50degree

Original Odssey 2 Ball Putter 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying blades for the last month. I have been able to hit them well. But, I just don't see how they are better performance wise or feel. But, I do like the way forged blades look.

Ok. Love my forged blades.

Hit'em in the center & work'em both ways. ;8)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I believe making putts (like most golf shots), is 99% technique.The remaining 1% is about playing a putter with reasonable specifications (length-weight-lie-loft). I do not believe putter face technology, such as grooves or milling or inserts, is relevant to produce consistently good putting.

So what makes for good technique ?

I have observed many different putting styles and techniques, all of them can be effective,  including forward ball position, rear ball position, center ball position, upright body posture, crouched body posture, open, square, or closed stance, traditional, left-hand-low, claw grips etc...

The one and only common trait I have observed from every single consistently good putting player is that the player's head remains still-stable from the address position until after impact with the ball.

So the secret to putting is keeping your head still?  Your putting styles are pretty much all setup positions and I agree all of them can be effective.  But how does keeping your head still impact starting the ball on intended line, putter path, or speed control?  How have you verified that every reasonably fit putter will work for every possible setup position.  I assume you have also proven that putter weight and toe hang have no impact on the stroke at all?  Is this opinion just based on casual observation, technical analysis, or putting instruction?  

I think you are somewhat correct, that technique can overcome technology,  but I think your percentages are off.  I would say that solid technique which include more that just stance but how you power your stroke would make the ratio more like 80/20.  And inconsistent putting strokes cannot be fixed by equipment, but equipment can help fine tune the impact of the choices you make on how to putt. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I never wrote that maintaining a stable head guaranteed a player good consistent putting.

I did write that I've observed consistently good putting players use a wide range of techniques, but one factor they've all had in common was maintaining a steady/stable head from address through impact with the ball.

Not directly or a guarantee,  but you indicated:

I believe making putts (like most golf shots), is 99% technique.

So what makes for good technique ?

The one and only common trait I have observed from every single consistently good putting player is that the player's head remains still-stable from the address position until after impact with the ball.

You eliminated grip and setup from technique, just curious what else comprises technique?  

As for keeping their head still that isn't a 100% certainty,  I would say Loren Roberts didn't keep his head still during the stroke.  Always exceptions.    

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Love this putter. attachicon.gif20180502_221731.jpeg

I played that in high school! Well, until my buddy missed a short putt in a match and cost us $50. I slammed it on the ground and the shaft snapped. And the magic was gone.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

With everything that is available today with technology in the putter as well as for putter fitting, you would be doing your game a disservice to not explore everything possible.

Marrying the data results with your “feel” matters to helping get the most out of your game.

I have no idea if the new technology makes more of a difference or not, but I can't close myself off to the possibility that it can help my game.

In my :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag:

Driver:    :callaway-small: Rogue 10.5° - LH -  Project X EvenFlow 60 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
               :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5/6 Wood - Atmos Blue TS 7 Stiff
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 5-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff
Wedges: :cobra-small: King Black - LH - 52° 56° 60° - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Stiff
Putter:     :1332069271_TommyArmour: - Impact No. 3
Ball:        Maxfli TourX

Rangefinder: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I purchased an ER2 based on Adam Beach's rant and my personal putting struggles. Honestly I have never hit a putter that is so pure. It rolls the ball so well. It doesn't hop and skip but rolls right off the face. I have made adjustment to my aiming, which I found was lacking practicing on my puttout. I can now see down the line and start the ball where I want giving me a better opportunity to sink putts. The purity off the roll and aiming have also allowed me to believe I can make putts and has given me better distance control.

Did the tech help? I believe it has definitely helped. It isn't magic, but it works.

No matter which posture , grip method, stance etc...  a player uses, and many different styles have been proven to work well, the one common denominator I have observed , from players with a consistently good putting game, is a steady-stable head from their address through impact with the ball. Here is a video featuring Ben Crenshaw and Loren Roberts, two players known for their excellent putting:

In that video Loren Roberts doesn't keep his head still,  but lets say that is one of the keys.  You indicated it is a common thing that you observed with great putters.  You also indicated there is more that just keeping you head still, setup and how you hold the clubs doesn't matter and it isn't fitting or technology.   What is the other parts of technique that makes someone a good putter?  Just asking you to expand on your statements and how you proved out your conclusions.   I agree with you that technology isn't everything,  i just believe that even with good technique a person can putter better with a properly fit putter.   

As I have written to you a couple of times now, my only "conclusion" is an observation that consistently good putters maintain a steady/stable head from their address position through impact with the ball. 

Regarding equipment, whether it is for putting or any other golf shot, I believe it's importance (to playing good shots or shooting low scores), is greatly overrated.

For example, have a look at the equipment played 70 years ago by Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson, Sam Snead etc.... Those guys and other early Tour pros were able to shoot par or better with clubs and balls that today would be considered extremely unforgiving.... And the average score for the membership at most country clubs is the same today as it was 50 years ago.

And it's not uncommon today for an amateur player to go on vacation and strike just as good or better shots with a rental set than the custom fitted set he plays at home.

Also, amateur clubs and men's groups sometimes have "6-club" events where 90% of the field ends up shooting the same 18 hole score as they do when playing out of their usual 14 club bag.

So, I believe that (compared to the importance of good effective technique), golf equipment is greatly overrated. I recognize advertising/promoting/selling equipment and fitting services is a business. I understand that  people who play golf are eager customers for new products and services, myself included.

I like buying new stuff as much as the next guy, and I do so often, because it's fun to play new clubs. But I don't believe new equipment, fitted or not, actually makes a significant difference towards lower scoring.

Thanks for clarifying your point.  I think this provides a much better explanation on why you believe there isn't any difference in play with new or old equipment.  Ultimately, you believe that a persons natural abilities will adapt to any equipment differences.    I think this is true to a point and that the difference start to show up when the player is under pressure to perform   I would suggest you watch some of the TXG videos on youtube where they show how some aspects of equipment can impact the results.  The changes may will not work magic but you can improve the chances that you can score better.  

I'd say after buying A LOT A LOT of different Putters I came to realize I don't follow the trends I use what works for me , can't fix something that is not broken

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

MIZUNO MX 23 (3-PW)

CLEVELAND CG15 ZipGroove Wedges

TOMMY ARMOUR IMPACT SERIES NO.1 PUTTER

ALWAYS LOOKING TO TRADE OR BUY CLUBS ESPECIALLY PUTTERS!!

Email - Briranney927@gmail.com or private message me anytime

MY GOLF SPY #1 FORUM

But if you need a new grip definitely , I have ocd about my grips ha always buy one everything month month and a half

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

MIZUNO MX 23 (3-PW)

CLEVELAND CG15 ZipGroove Wedges

TOMMY ARMOUR IMPACT SERIES NO.1 PUTTER

ALWAYS LOOKING TO TRADE OR BUY CLUBS ESPECIALLY PUTTERS!!

Email - Briranney927@gmail.com or private message me anytime

MY GOLF SPY #1 FORUM

As I think about it some, I believe it was about 25 years ago that graphite shafts became prevalent for drivers. This was about the time that Callaway introduced its legendary Big Bertha driver(before that metal woods were essentially the same size as the wooden woods they replaced, and steel was still most common).

Anyway, Callaway led the way with both over sized metal wood heads and use of graphite shafts as stock offerings. Soon every equipment company followed Callaway's path. This led to club repair shops and graphite shaft manufacturers working together to sell consumers the idea that  "their stock shaft was junk and should be replaced with a more expensive aftermarket shaft".

Next came launch monitors, which gave birth to the then nascent business of "fitting". And as the years have passed by equipment company's, instructors, repair-assembly shops are using launch monitors , simulators etc... to sell the concept of fit together with new equipment offerings.For someone interested in golf it's fun, and interesting, but I think also has maybe created the illusion that it's possible to buy a game.

The YouTube videos are entertaining, but they remind me of the old "driving range player" adage. In other words, striking good shots on a range or simulator is one thing, but actually playing golf to shoot a low score is another. My favorite YouTube golf celebrity is Mark Crossfield, because he has the courage to once and awhile put up a video of him playing a course, from the rough, missing fairways and greens, three putting etc... en route to shooting 80. Those videos of his are a different show from the equipment review driving range launch monitor presentations.  I respect Crossfield for stepping off the range, away from the simulator, and actually showing some realistic,  on course shots.

I 100% agree with you that you actually have to get on the course and hit shots.  I don't believe in using launch monitors chase particular numbers,  I support the approach of finding out what works best for you and your swing.  I guess we are in completely different camps when it comes to technology and equipment;  you fall into the anything within reason will be just fine for a player and I believe that while that perspective is true ( I have hit enough clubs with stock configuration to confirm) that you can use technology to find what equipment will provide you with the better results for your swing.  That is why I suggested TXG, they are providing education on how changes in equipment will or won't change a clubs performance.  Watching videos of club reviews or someone like Crossfield do absolutely nothing for me.  

Thanks for providing your perspective.  

Actually, handicaps have dropped 1.9 shots for men over the last 25 years. 3.6 shots for women. That's not nothing.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/a-closer-look-at-handicap-data-shows-just-how-much-golfers-have-improved-in-recent-years

It will be interesting to see if the F8s will help me play better. Once I figure out how far I hit these things, they will. I'm hitting shorter, easier to control clubs for approach shots. Now, I'm just one data point, but as long as I get better with new clubs, I'm happy.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

• 5 weeks later...

It depends on the player. If you are more of a "feel" player and you lose confidence if the putter doesn't "feel" good then you will miss more putts. If you care more about the numbers then if you know the numbers are good you will be confident. A confident putter is a better putter.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

My biggest questions on this are 1) How much proof do they have that their tech works with real players? 2) if it does work then why do some of the most notable tour players still use 20 year old putters? 3) Would having the same putter with different face groove patterns and inserts be able to help your players depending on the course conditions they play in?

I understand where you are coming from and until last week I would have said it was all a bunch of BS designed to sell putters. I have been lusting in my heart for a Scotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Oil Can Finish for at least 10 years. I play that in the Studio Select German Stainless Steel, but have an Oil Can Finish Big Sur that I modified maybe 15 years ago that I like the way the ball feels coming off that face better than the GSS. I have better distance control with the Big Sur but make more putts outside of 5' with the Newport. 

Then last week I went to the PGA Super Store and gave myself a putter fitting. I had seen several plumber neck putters that fit what I was looking for but have never played one. I fell in love with the 2018 Scotty Newport 2. I couldn't miss with that putter, and the feel was even better than the soft face Big Sur.

I ordered one and will be getting one of these next week. I will be doing a review on it in a couple of weeks, and will address your questions then after I get some rounds played with it.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

The main thing I wanted to talk about here (and I'm sure I have more questions than answers) is face technology on putters.

Most of the big name club manufacturers come out with a slew of putters every year featuring their newest groove and insert tech that is supposed to help the player roll a putt easier and with more consistency then ever.

My biggest questions on this are 1) How much proof do they have that their tech works with real players? 2) if it does work then why do some of the most notable tour players still use 20 year old putters? 3) Would having the same putter with different face groove patterns and inserts be able to help your players depending on the course conditions they play in?

Feel free to leave your opinions below, I would love to hear what everyone has to say.

P.S if I'm wrong, feel free to tell me

It's simple, the answer is one for all your questions - it's just Marketing and that's it! In order to sell a new one!)

Is it just marketing? Ping Ketsch, MLA, EvnRolll? I don't think those are just marketing, but actual working tech. But what they are not is magic

I agree that they aren't magic, but I also believe that it is mostly marketing. When I go to the golf shop, I try out all of the putters usually, the cheap and the expensive. I don't see much of a difference in performance. Looks - yes. Feel - sometimes. But performance - not at all. There is a difference in style of putter that seems to matter. Visual things matter in my putting performance. But cost of the putter seems irrelevant.

I agree that they aren't magic, but I also believe that it is mostly marketing. When I go to the golf shop, I try out all of the putters usually, the cheap and the expensive. I don't see much of a difference in performance. Looks - yes. Feel - sometimes. But performance - not at all. There is a difference in style of putter that seems to matter. Visual things matter in my putting performance. But cost of the putter seems irrelevant.

If your putting stroke is pretty ingrained you won't see much of a difference other than speed off the face. If you have a tendency to mishit the ball you will start tosee differences in distance control. There are other subtleties that would show up on devices like a puttlab as well.

How are you measuring performance?

I have an evenroll ER2, I feel like the ball is more consistent off the face and more likely to go where I intended to hit it. I believe I am making more of my longer puts with it than I did in the past. But it does not fix my fundamentals, like misreading the break of the green or getting the pace of the ball wrong. So while I practice long putting I still am overhitting or underhitting too many longer puts especially on challenging greens where there is quite a bit of slope.

I also get confused on tricky slopes and read them the wrong way. I had a two foot birdie put on Sunday and when I read the put I thought it broke slightly left, so being critical I checked the golf logic app which showed the slope slightly right. I followed the app the ball broke right a little and I made the put. If I played how I read it I would have missed it two inches the other way.

But now and then I make a critical 6 foot to 20 foot put. That was rare for me in the past. I pretty much had to be within 4 feet to think I had a shot of making a put.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

• 1 month later...

I have an old Odyssey 9 white Hot customized with black shaft and Salty grip. I did love it, really did.

I listened to Adam's rant about putter tech and researched, searched and found an EvnRoll ER2 and bought it. It is really a departure. Seems to roll itself and once I became adjusted to the weight has been a great addition to my game. It's not magic, not forged by the gods, but it is better from all distances.

I am skeptical about tech most of the time. This time it has worked for me. It really has helped me putt better.

out with the old.... my Mizuno MX500 seems to have found the great retirement. Replaced by a Mizzy ST180. I will get a chance to swing it tomorrow. Can hardly wait.

• 1 year later...

I own a Nike Method 005 mallet with a 303 precision milled bloc  ,but my gamer is a old Daiwa Probalance 8511 blade,

Now here some pics of few other models ,

Your thought on them are welcome.. 

A Goliath 3 balls,

Mizuno blade 

Taylormade Tc1 

Daiwa 

IMG_20190828_134124.jpg

IMG_20190826_221002.jpg

IMG_20190806_125839.jpg

IMG_20190802_144145.jpg

IMG_20190806_125701.jpg

IMG_20190719_174722.jpg

IMG_20190806_125906.jpg

IMG_20190704_200347.jpg

On 8/31/2019 at 4:46 PM, M.Duchesne said:

I own a Nike Method 005 mallet with a 303 precision milled bloc  ,but my gamer is a old Daiwa Probalance 8511 blade,

Now here some pics of few other models ,

Your thought on them are welcome.. 

A Goliath 3 balls,

Mizuno blade 

Taylormade Tc1 

Daiwa 

IMG_20190828_134124.jpg

IMG_20190826_221002.jpg

IMG_20190806_125839.jpg

IMG_20190802_144145.jpg

IMG_20190806_125701.jpg

IMG_20190719_174722.jpg

IMG_20190806_125906.jpg

IMG_20190704_200347.jpg

Love those old classic putters!  Is your gamer primarily the Nike or do you rotate between them all ?

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

• 4 weeks later...

This to say my gamer is.....roll drums.....This old Daiwa Toe balance. Swan neck is not bothering my up hill view at address.

I also got a NOS Ping Answer 3 slight Arc toe balance still the closest .It is a very good feel but at 36" it is a little to long for me from short put aiming at the hole . This being said ,I have to admit that these Pings are of very good feel for those who like to ear the click of the ball..

Edited by M.Duchesne
Editing error