TESTERS WANTED! ×

Single lens glasses for golf

ole gray

This is mainly directed at the senior golfers however if you are now using them, chime in.  Today I went for my yearly checkup and I was discussing anti glare, lens tinting, transitional, etc. with my eye doc.   He suggested instead of getting bifocals set up for summer ware/golf to try single lens glasses which are customized for golf.  I haven't wore single lens glasses since my forties so this will be an experience.  The Lady who takes the measurements for the glasses said she had one other senior golf compliment her for taking several strokes off his game.  She told me it might help me too however no guarantees.  :D  She said you still have to practice your game however seeing better goes a long way in reaching your goals. 

Any body else here go from bifocals to single lens for golf?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Interesting I wear progressives which help me see both closeup and distance. I was exploring the idea with my dr of getting a pair of single vision but just for reading at night. If you're getting single vision which I assume for close up won't that affect your distance vision?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Interesting I wear progressives which help me see both closeup and distance. I was exploring the idea with my dr of getting a pair of single vision but just for reading at night. If you're getting single vision which I assume for close up won't that affect your distance vision?

I would be getting single vision for distance.  I would need reading glasses for score cards and such.   It will be about a week before they come in however once I get a couple rounds in with them, I'll report back. 

Cleveland

Check out this link that talks about getting away from bifocals and even progressive lens during golf.

https://www.swingsurgeon.com/daily-video-tips/dont-wear-bifocals-when-you-play-golf

Cleveland

I tried bifocals in the swing and you just need to move slightly and the object (ball) goes out of focus and its a terrible way to play- I now use single vision (distance) for golf. Scorecard writing isnt easy but that only takes a second and a single digit, I then switch to bifocals at the end to add up, sign etc. I have single vision sunglasses also.

Only tip is get the lens large enough so you're not 'peaking' over the rim which can happen when you are set up for the long game as well as putting and look up without wanting to move your head up.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Check out this link that talks about getting away from bifocals and even progressive lens during golf.

https://www.swingsurgeon.com/daily-video-tips/dont-wear-bifocals-when-you-play-golf

OG that's pretty interesting. An alternative to single prescription lenses is not wearing glasses during the swing. Any way will be interested in your feedback on the glasses you're getting.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I tried bifocals in the swing and you just need to move slightly and the object (ball) goes out of focus and its a terrible way to play- I now use single vision (distance) for golf. Scorecard writing isnt easy but that only takes a second and a single digit, I then switch to bifocals at the end to add up, sign etc. I have single vision sunglasses also.

Only tip is get the lens large enough so you're not 'peaking' over the rim which can happen when you are set up for the long game as well as putting and look up without wanting to move your head up.

I have googled the use of single vision glasses during golf and most everyone seems to prefer them over bifocals or progressive.  I'm glad my doctor suggested them today!

Cleveland

Been saying & doing this since '39

Dang cuz you ain't that old or ya?  :blink:

Cleveland

Dang cuz you ain't that old or ya? :blink:

Maybe mistaken on time line but if you go back thru the glasses threads here & "there" I always advocate the single vision glasses to play. Scorecard reading & such can be a pain but Soo much better for proper head positioning

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I got single vision glasses just before the season started and they are great. I can still read the yardage on my gps. Much better for my game than progressives, no distortion.

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

Maybe mistaken on time line but if you go back thru the glasses threads here & "there" I always advocate the single vision glasses to play. Scorecard reading & such can be a pain but Soo much better for proper head positioning

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I'll be on the single vision train in about a week. Is there any adjustment or did you feel comfortable from the start. 

Cleveland

Dammit, now I've got to get "golf glasses" too. ...

And here I thought my bag was set for the year.

Golf ho's never get any rest.   ;)

Cleveland

I got single vision glasses just before the season started and they are great. I can still read the yardage on my gps. Much better for my game than progressives, no distortion.

I have the gps watch and I'm hoping I can still view it without issues.....  :wacko:

Cleveland

I have single vision glasses for driving my car.  I don't need glasses to read.  I tried wearing my glasses when playing golf, and while I can see distances better, I don't need them to see the ball as far as I hit it.   :(  The good news is I can play with regular sunglasses. 

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Never thought of that....Progressives are no good for me and golf.  Just had eyes checked last week and Im tited of wearing glasses all the time so going to contacts or Lasik. I will never get away from readers though. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I'll be on the single vision train in about a week. Is there any adjustment or did you feel comfortable from the start.

I felt comfortable with it. But depending on how much you need to read could be an issue with things. For me. I can read my gps (garmin 8) just fine

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I felt comfortable with it. But depending on how much you need to read could be an issue with things. For me. I can read my gps (garmin 8) just fine

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I put on my GPS watch this morning to check out my vision without glasses. I have to squint however I can still read it so I'll be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Cleveland

I disagree.  Been wearing progressive lenses for 27 years.  I have a pair of Rx sunglasses that have a slight curvature to them and they allow me to read the putt more accurately than my flat progressive lenses.  I have tried playing without them and the ball at my feet is blurry.  Note:  Be sure if you have progressive lenses that they are the Varilux by Kodak.  They have the best depth of field.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I disagree.  Been wearing progressive lenses for 27 years.  I have a pair of Rx sunglasses that have a slight curvature to them and they allow me to read the putt more accurately than my flat progressive lenses.  I have tried playing without them and the ball at my feet is blurry.  Note:  Be sure if you have progressive lenses that they are the Varilux by Kodak.  They have the best depth of field.

I think it's an individual thing so you have to run with what works for you.  I've researched enough for me to give it a try.. It may not be for me however it may be a nice surprise.  The doc said it would also help tremendously late in the evening when oncoming car lights cause issues (halo affect).   I'm all in and if it doesn't work I can use them for sunglasses.

Cleveland

Foz one of my issues is the strength of my prescription won't work for pure Rx sunglasses (maybe one exception). Two Rx ago I had curved Maui Jim's and I loved them. I might be able to get them in my current Rx but was taken back by the price 700+. So at least at this point I'm sticking with the transitions which seem to work ok for me. FYI as stated earlier I have both closeup and distance issues. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

As a twist to the topic. Given that I need glasses for closeup and distance I thought I would try a different approach today putting with no glasses. Didn't work. After 3 putting a few holes the glasses went back on again. Guess it all depends on your vision needs - in my case the progressives work best.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Never thought of that....Progressives are no good for me and golf. Just had eyes checked last week and Im tited of wearing glasses all the time so going to contacts or Lasik. I will never get away from readers though.

I had lasik almost 20 years ago, and never regretted it. I read an article about Tom Kite having it done, and feeling like he was reading the greens a lot better. That prompted all of my research and decision. I've developed astigmatism, so I wear glasses a lot, and have gone to contacts for the weekends (so I can wear regular sunglasses), but it's still so much better than it was before. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Archived