Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Is the 3 iron the new 1 iron?

Wow. Seems most on this blog bought into the marketing speel. I have to admit I replaced my 3 iron with a 5 Wood. Hitting a 4 iron & holding the green is easy enough. But I carry a modern 2 iron for wind ... still play Titleist 681's or my Miura 'retro' blades - 4i thru pw. Always Miura wedges though ... 53 & 58. Swap a 60 - 5° bounce wedge vs 3 wood depending on course conditions. Something sweet about USA or Japanese forged irons ... compared to the modern Chinese castings. Just ugly castings ... thick topline. Wide soles. Lofts jacked up. To feed egos ... wow ... I hit my 7 iron 200 yards ... kind of thing. What is next ? PW of 40 degrees ???

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

To feed egos ... wow ... I hit my 7 iron 200 yards ... kind of thing. What is next ? PW of 40 degrees ???

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

In my lifetime PW has gone from 50 down to 44/45.

It will happen.

Easy to hit technology is replacing the theory of teaching a proper swing. If a player can hit a PW 130-160 yards who needs a long iron?

Keep in mind this is also the same generation that is too busy to grocery shop for themselves, sit down and have a family dinner or portion out their own food and meals for bagged lunches.

If they're too busy for the routine necessities how would they care to find time for any proper instruction.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I still use my old Mizuno T Zoid Pro 3 iron, thin top line and normal loft. I'm off the opinion if I need more distance I'll use the appropriate club. I had a spell with a set of clubs with stronger lofts, it just meant I hit 7 iron instead of 6. Theres a club in the bag for all distances.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I have been thinking along these same lines for a while.  I carry a 3 and 5 wood, then I jump to 4 iron.  The 3 wood rarely comes out of my bag because I am super confident in my 5 wood, so I have been mulling over the idea of pulling out the 3 wood and getting a 3 iron to fill the gap between my 5 wood and 4 iron.  And like many here have said it is about spacing and loft more than the number on the bottom of the club.  

:ping-small: G30 Driver

:ping-small: G30 3 and 5 Wood

:ping-small: i200 red dot 4-U

:taylormade-small: Milled Grind 54 and 58

Scotty Cameron Fastback Select

My Dad had (I think he just sold them) a set of Cobra King OS Irons (no idea when they were made - circa 2000?), which included a driving iron. Back in the day, this would've been the equivalent of a 2 iron, but the loft on my 4 iron is similar loft. Just shows you how much stronger irons have gotten in the last decade or so.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

• 1 month later...

I purchased my PE2's (2-PW) brand new in 1988 and am still playing them today. I use to be able to hit the 2 iron well and frequently opted to use it over my 3w which, at that time, I was not hitting very consistently.  I don't know the specs on these as compared to new iron technology; but it sounds like there's been a shift in numbers? 

Is the term "driving iron" fairly new?  I just always referred to them (2 thru 4) as "long irons".  I now choke up a wee bit on the 2 (which I don't hit much these days) and my 3 as it seems to help consistency in making good contact.  But, I think I'm giving up a little distance doing so which is making the yardage distance darn close to my 4 iron.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Archived