TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf and ski place to live?

Thin2win

Hello all. I am starting a new job at the end of the month, and it allows me to live anywhere in the country.

Having spent the last 5 years getting waterlogged in Seattle, I think a change to someplace that has sun during the winter would be nice.

My wife and I enjoy new places, we have lived in Colorado, Oregon and now Washington. We both love 4 seasons, like to ski, camp and of course golf.

We have discussed going back to Colorado, northern Idaho, lake Tahoe, Michigan and palm springs. The only real requirement is that there is an airport within an hour.

Where in this county would you recommend?

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

If it was me I would be looking at Tahoe or Sslt Lake city area. Colorado isn't bad either

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Check out the Boise Treasure Valley here in Idaho. International airport (Gowen Field-BOI), Bogus Basin Ski Resort just 30-minutes away, still a smallish community with plenty of outdoors activities just a small trip away. Plenty of golf too!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I guess I can't really help you, since I'm from the Emerald City myself, but Colorado has some good golf and obviously some fantastic skiing!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Personally I would look at the Carolinas.  Not the best skiing but lots of golf.  I guess the question would be what do you want to do more of golf or ski?

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Hello all. I am starting a new job at the end of the month, and it allows me to live anywhere in the country.

Having spent the last 5 years getting waterlogged in Seattle, I think a change to someplace that has sun during the winter would be nice.

My wife and I enjoy new places, we have lived in Colorado, Oregon and now Washington. We both love 4 seasons, like to ski, camp and of course golf.

We have discussed going back to Colorado, northern Idaho, lake Tahoe, Michigan and palm springs. The only real requirement is that there is an airport within an hour.

Where in this county would you recommend?

Thanks.

Your going to want Bend, Oregon or somewhere in Central Oregon. Mt Bachelor is 30 minutes away, Tons of private and public options for golf, lots of different places to go hike or camp and not nearly as much rain as somewhere on the west side of the mountains. Heck they may even get more days with snowfall than days with rain during a year. There is an airport in nearby Redmond. Don't know where you will be flying to or what airline, but you may have to stop sometimes in SEA or PDX but both are really short flights.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I would suggest my home, Virginia or my current residence, Maryland.   Both have the western mountains and the eastern seashores.   Related to golf, one has access to both mountain venues and seaside venues.  In Maryland, I would suggest the Frederick/Hagerstown areas.  It houses several of the most popular courses in the State.  While I don't ski (to me putting two sticks on your feet and jumping off a mountain is an unnatural act), it is a reasonable commute to the Wisp skiing resort.   It also has the required access to both Reagan National and Dulles airports.  The commute to BWI may not be much over an hour as well.    Likewise, it is reasonably close to Washington, DC, they are more or less DC bedroom communities.  Depending on the nature of your business, if it is regulated, such location may be of benefit, as well.   

Personally, I live on the seashore end of the State and enjoy my lifestyle on the shores of the Chesapeake in the Land of Pleasant living.  I don't have the same access to the mountains, but again, I don't ski.   Several years ago, the wife and some friends decided that I should die, so they talked me into going skiing with them.   The second day of the trip, I stayed in the lodge, while they skied.  

It seems that you have experienced life on the left coast, perhaps you would enjoy venturing to life on the right coast.

Sounds like I need to take a trip to Michigan, Bend and maybe Raleigh NC?

I have tried the right coast, spent time in New York and South Carolina. The relative humidity is a bad thing in my world. I am too used to air that I don't have to chew to breathe.

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Michigan... you'll get more ski than golf. But the Boyne City area has Boyne Mountain, ski hill, 2 courses plus many more in the surrounding area.

Traverse City you'll have Crystal mountain, and loads of golf, Airport right there. Not far from Acadia Bluffs.

http://www.golfmichigan.net/traverse-city-golf-courses/

That was the general area we had talked about in Michigan, thanks!

WITB:

Check out the Boise Treasure Valley here in Idaho. International airport (Gowen Field-BOI), Bogus Basin Ski Resort just 30-minutes away, still a smallish community with plenty of outdoors activities just a small trip away. Plenty of golf too!

We had talked about Coeur d'Alene, or the Sand Point areas since we both like it there. Boise is a good recommendation. Thanks

WITB:

Sounds like I need to take a trip to Michigan, Bend and maybe Raleigh NC?

I have tried the right coast, spent time in New York and South Carolina. The relative humidity is a bad thing in my world. I am too used to air that I don't have to chew to breathe.

I've been to Raleigh a few times. I love that place.

MN ticks the boxes, but it's been a really rough winter so I can't actually recommend it.  Golf in the summer is great and we have no shortage of snow, So much in fact that we decided to get another 6-12" tonight and tomorrow and push the golf season back at least another 2 weeks.

So if you want Spring that lasts a week, Summer that is beautiful when it finally comes and winter that is so bone chilling cold that even if it's sunny you have zero desire to actually go outside for longer than 30 seconds you should come and check it out!

Now you'll have to excuse me while I gas up the snow blower to get ready for tomorrow.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Heber Valley, UT checks all your boxes plus great National Parks, fishing and SLC is (usually) an easy drive. I spend some time there most Summers and it's always hard to say goodbye.

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Salt Lake City is great! Can't beat the ski/snowboarding on any of the world class resorts and there are some nice courses. If you're willing to drive a few hours for a weekend away, you can play some really nice courses in NV, So UT, So ID, and Western CO.

I lived in Taylorsville, UT for 9 years. It's a great place to be!

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

how long is golf season there?

WITB:

WITB:

Love Tahoe skiing and golf. One of my favorite places on earth. Bend is a great choice as well but Redmond airport is smmall but gets you to whete you need to go.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

I'd say generally between late Feb to mid-Nov at the outside. This year I golfed 3 times in January so it generally just... "depends". Heck it's supposed to be near 70 on Sunday, but rainy with some snow Monday!!! Springs here can be hit-or-miss. :unsure: 

Some other great beni's for here are the low crime rates and low cost-of living BTW... I saw someone ping you about Bend and indeed it is very nice there, though I've not been there during winter. I imagine crime is low there too but C-O-L will be higher than here because of those Left-Coast taxes. I'm planning a trip there for my bday in August and hope to take my bats and play a round or 2 cuz I hear that golfing there is pretty amazing.

Keep hitting me here or go ahead and ping me on a PM. Good luck no matter and I wish that wherever you go it turns out to be the best!

Cheers! :D 

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

• 2 weeks later...

Twin Cities. Easy.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Michigan... you'll get more ski than golf. But the Boyne City area has Boyne Mountain, ski hill, 2 courses plus many more in the surrounding area.

Traverse City you'll have Crystal mountain, and loads of golf, Airport right there. Not far from Acadia Bluffs.

http://www.golfmichigan.net/traverse-city-golf-courses/

I'm a +1 for this, the area he is talking about is beautiful, and for whatever reason, the golfing in Michigan is much less expensive than other areas, and you get some extremely nice courses to play. The winters in that area allow for a multitude of opportunities. Skiing, snowmobiling.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Other areas to consider would be the the mountainous areas of Tennessee and North Carolina. Great golf and you get the four seasons for skiing.

I start to melt off summer Temps get above 85. How hot /humid does it get out there?

WITB:

Northern Idaho is a great option. housing costs are down, you have access to great skiing from east cascades in WA ( which you already know) all the way to western Montana, also some great golf cheap in the Spokane area as well as norther Idaho and MT... It is alot drier then the Seattle area plus there is an abundance to outdoor activities beside golf and skiing.. 

I too am from western Washington. But would move East to cental WA or the Spokane area in a heart beat if work would allow me to.,. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

Northern Idaho is a great option. housing costs are down, you have access to great skiing from east cascades in WA ( which you already know) all the way to western Montana, also some great golf cheap in the Spokane area as well as norther Idaho and MT... It is alot drier then the Seattle area plus there is an abundance to outdoor activities beside golf and skiing..

I too am from western Washington. But would move East to cental WA or the Spokane area in a heart beat if work would allow me to.,.

I grew up in Central Washington, the lure of sun is strong some days.

WITB:

I grew up in Central Washington, the lure of sun is strong some days.

I agree but southern Idaho has a lot to offer as well...and generally a less "harsh" winter...mostly... ;) 

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Archived