TESTERS WANTED! ×

2018 Best Driver for average swing speed

MattF

https://mygolfspy.com/2018-best-driver-average-swing-speed/

Wow! 3 #1's! Rogue Sub Zero, G400LST and ST 180.

I wonder how the ST 180 will perform against my JPX-EZ? <_>

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Is it just me or does that ping 400 series of drivers seem bad ass

Nope, it's not just you! B)

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I wish we could see a breakdown of which Shafts appeared in the optimal setups the most often. Basically, this same test just with the data for the shafts used as the variable instead of the club head. 

Having this wide array of shafts in the tests makes me curious how big of difference they made. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I've hit the Rogue sub zero and it seemed to fit me better then the G400. Maybe the G400LST is just as good for me. I like Ping but the Rogue killed it and I enjoyed the crisp sound it made. Was a bit longer too.

Krank Formula X Veylix Alpina 573 45" 9*

:755178188_TourEdge:CBX 3 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 43" 15*

Krank Formula X 5 Wood Matrix HD Radix S VIII 42" 18*

Wishon Golf 775HS 3H Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid X-Flex  39.75" 21*

Wishon Golf 585HI 3DI  same shaft as irons 38.25" 21*

Wishon Golf 575 MMC Forged 5-A N.S.Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Wishon Golf Micro-Groove HM S, L same shaft as irons 

:EVNROLL: ER7B Gravity Grip 35"

I wish we could see a breakdown of which Shafts appeared in the optimal setups the most often. Basically, this same test just with the data for the shafts used as the variable instead of the club head.

Having this wide array of shafts in the tests makes me curious how big of difference they made.

Generally it was the most common shaft that you would see in stores for that particular driver. In essence that shaft profile the OEM will fit the widest range of golfers. Ping for example was the Acra shaft, they did not send all the upcharge shafts. Flex and driver settings were based upon performance observed.

Having hit the drivers, there may be some difference just like there were swing differences from week to week for each tester. Generally, I would say the numbers are not going to change a lot unless it was a driver designed specifically for a particular swing speed. XXIO is one that comes to mind.

Yes, we often hear about 10, 20 and 30 yard gains during a custom fitting. The most wanted testing is not customs fittings. If you want to see how something performs with a particular shaft the best option would be to go to club champion or similar fitter and give it a try.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

To truely find out which driver is best for your game, you need to hit everything and go with what works best for your game. No chart will give you the answer, it can point you in the right direction. These tests are someone's else's swing not yours.

Adams Speedline 4G ultralite driver stiff shaft

Taylormade SLDR driver extra stiff shaft

Ping G20 3 wood stiff shaft

Adams redline 3&4 hybrids stiff shaft

Adams redline 5-PW stiff shaft

Titleist Vokey sm5 wedges 52, 56, 60

Boccieri golf Heavy putter

These tests are someone's else's swing not yours.

Some of them are my swings  :wacko:  :D  :lol:  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Is it just me or does that ping 400 series of drivers seem bad ass

Indeed! TAKE MY $ PING!!!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Hit the Ping today at demo day, it's as the test show, a great feeling club.

:srixon-small:  ZX5 MKII LS 8.5

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 3 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 5 wood

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus 19.5 Hybrid 

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKll 5 / AW Dart stiff

:taylormade-small: MG3 black 52 9b 58 12b

:scotty-small:  7.5 Phantom 34”

:srixon-small: Z Star Diamond 2023

I hit the Callaway rogue draw, g400 max and g400 sft  today at a Callaway demo day.  after a couple adjustments to the rogue it went like a rocket and my dispersion went from all over the map to center right instead of my usual left handed slice.  

I went to my local shop intent on testing and likely buying the g400 max and so they set it up for me and the rogue out distanced it by 20-25 yards and honestly I asked in a previous thread about sound making a difference and I finally got the difference yesterday, the sound the rogue made when I hit what is for me a great shot (200-210 carry) was confidence boosting, and the roll out difference was not comparable. I could carry 210 and end up rolling another 15-20 yards where the ping seemed to drop from the sky and stop dead, similar carry but no roll out. 

I really do appreciate the commentary and reviews this site provides really enjoy reading about other peoples experiences and recommendations. 

DRIVER -  Ping G425 SFT Driver Tensei AV 55 Orange Reg Flex 

Woods -  Ping G425 7 wood  Tensei AV 65 Orange Reg Flex 

Irons - Cobra Rad Speed 1 Length UST Recoil 780 Smacwrap Graphite Reg Flex 

WEDGES-  Callaway jaws 52/56/60

PUTTER-  Taylormade FCG spider putter 34" 

BALL-  Pro V1x or Tp5X  -- trying to figure this one out.

Footjoy Tour S golf shoe 

I hit the Callaway rogue draw, g400 max and g400 sft  today at a Callaway demo day.  after a couple adjustments to the rogue it went like a rocket and my dispersion went from all over the map to center right instead of my usual left handed slice.  

I went to my local shop intent on testing and likely buying the g400 max and so they set it up for me and the rogue out distanced it by 20-25 yards and honestly I asked in a previous thread about sound making a difference and I finally got the difference yesterday, the sound the rogue made when I hit what is for me a great shot (200-210 carry) was confidence boosting, and the roll out difference was not comparable. I could carry 210 and end up rolling another 15-20 yards where the ping seemed to drop from the sky and stop dead, similar carry but no roll out. 

I really do appreciate the commentary and reviews this site provides really enjoy reading about other peoples experiences and recommendations. 

The all over the map thing is my problem. It's not necessarily a length issue. I'd really like to try that rogue sub zero.

Callaway Rouge SZ 9 Driver

Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

Sub 70 699 U 22*

Taylor Made M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

Ping Glide 4.0 Wedges 54* and 58*

Sub 70 005 Wide Blade putter

• 2 weeks later...

To truely find out which driver is best for your game, you need to hit everything and go with what works best for your game. No chart will give you the answer, it can point you in the right direction. These tests are someone's else's swing not yours.

My impression of the testing is that the results are so close, any driver head will actually work for most golfers, it's a matter of getting the right shaft and personal preference to max it out for you. 

My impression of the testing is that the results are so close, any driver head will actually work for most golfers, it's a matter of getting the right shaft and personal preference to max it out for you. 

No doubt the right shaft for your swing is KEY to making a  driver perform to its max.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

As a generality that is true. However, don't discount the head as there are characteristics to each that may make one better than another.

As a generality that is true. However, don't discount the head as there are characteristics to each that may make one better than another.

What are these characteristics, which drivers possess them and why didn't anything really anamalous show up in the testing?  

What are these characteristics, which drivers possess them and why didn't anything really anamalous show up in the testing?

Same characteristics that occur with the shafts - spin, launch angles, dispersion, efficiency, etc. generally when doing a fitting, the shaft is selected first and then heads are tested to fine tune performance. All clubs are like this due to different weight heads, CoG location, MOI, face thicknesses, head design, etc

In the most wanted testing the number you see are averages across the entire group of testers and different shafts in each driver. My guess is that if you used the same shaft and looked at a single tester you could see the differences.

Same characteristics that occur with the shafts - spin, launch angles, dispersion, efficiency, etc. generally when doing a fitting, the shaft is selected first and then heads are tested to fine tune performance. All clubs are like this due to different weight heads, CoG location, MOI, face thicknesses, head design, etc

In the most wanted testing the number you see are averages across the entire group of testers and different shafts in each driver. My guess is that if you used the same shaft and looked at a single tester you could see the differences.

That doesn't jive with the results though.  The results show that most of the drivers test out at almost the exact same distances and dispersion.  If those things you mentioned were inherent characteristics of a given driver off the shelf it would have shown up in the testing.  The averages being so close together literally means the differences between the clubs is just about statistically insignificant.  

That doesn't jive with the results though. The results show that most of the drivers test out at almost the exact same distances and dispersion. If those things you mentioned were inherent characteristics of a given driver off the shelf it would have shown up in the testing. The averages being so close together literally means the differences between the clubs is just about statistically insignificant.

Ok, go get a fitting and you can see those type of results for yourself. I saw my numbers from the most wanted testing and I can tell you there were what I consider differences between the drivers when looking from top to bottom.

Also, if the same shaft was used across the board, you would see the head differences.

Averaged out across multiple people, yes all drivers are basically the same.

That doesn't jive with the results though.  The results show that most of the drivers test out at almost the exact same distances and dispersion.  If those things you mentioned were inherent characteristics of a given driver off the shelf it would have shown up in the testing.  The averages being so close together literally means the differences between the clubs is just about statistically insignificant.  

Like cnosil points out, though, the results are across multiple testers with multiple shafts. If you could isolate one person's results, even with different shafts, you would see greater differences between drivers. Even more if they had used the same shaft for each head. 

When I went for my fitting in January, my swing performed much better with the Rogue Subzero than any other model. Same shaft, same swing speed, same swing characteristics. My best numbers (dispersion and distance) came from that club. I even retested after taking a break to do a putter fitting mid-session because I wanted to be sure it wasn't just when in the order I tested it. 

Driver: TS3, 9* (C1 setting, surefit cartridge in fade setting)

3/4 Wood: 917D2, 16.5 degrees (D1 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Hybrid: Titleist 818 H2, 19 degrees (C3 setting, surefit cartridge neutral)

Irons: Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-Iron (23 degrees); Mizuno MP-18 SC 5-iron(26) and 6-iron(30); Mizuno MP-18 7-iron(34), 8-iron(38), 9-iron(42), and P Wedge(46). Nippon Modus 120x shafts. 1 degree upright.

Wedges: Mizuno S-18 50, 54, and 58 degrees. 50 is 1 degree upright, 54 and 58 are standard lie. Nippon Modus 120x, soft stepped in the 54 and 58.

Putter: Evnroll ER1

Right-handed

Atlanta, GA

Ok, go get a fitting and you can see those type of results for yourself. I saw my numbers from the most wanted testing and I can tell you there were what I consider differences between the drivers when looking from top to bottom.

Also, if the same shaft was used across the board, you would see the head differences.

Averaged out across multiple people, yes all drivers are basically the same.

You're using an anecdote to attempt to counteract data.  It's like saying, "I smoke and I never had cancer".  The entire point of doing broad based testing is to show the true differences between the clubs without personal bias and without the nuances of a particular golfer affecting the results.  There are lots of reasons why a single person might hit one driver different than another in a test but what MGS testing indicates is that all driver heads have basically the same potential, it's just a matter of finding the right shaft that fits your ball flight and the right driver that suits your eye.  

You're using an anecdote to attempt to counteract data.  It's like saying, "I smoke and I never had cancer".  The entire point of doing broad based testing is to show the true differences between the clubs without personal bias and without the nuances of a particular golfer affecting the results.  There are lots of reasons why a single person might hit one driver different than another in a test but what MGS testing indicates is that all driver heads have basically the same potential, it's just a matter of finding the right shaft that fits your ball flight and the right driver that suits your eye.  

As I said in my original post,  all the drivers will generally be the same for everyone  but to optimize for your swing you need to consider both the shaft and the head.  I know for a fact that the 4 G400 drivers (Regular, SFT, LST, and MAX) played differently with the same shaft.  The heads are designed to do different things with the ball.   I went to Club Champion for a fitting and with the same shaft  I got the same distance;  some of the heads hit the ball with grouping left of center,  some had wide dispersion, some grouped on the right of center.  Distance was about the same,  but overall performance varied based on head design.   

All I am saying is that all modern drivers will perform and they are basically equal when looked at as a group.  When you get to an individual player level, you need to look at the shaft and  the head to find the best driver for you.  

If you have a swing that varies like 20 different people, then I would understand this conclusion.  Otherwise, I don't think the data says this at all.  The data displayed for distance and dispersion is the average of 20 pretty different people.  Looking at only this, one could say that all drivers are more or less the same.  If we had the data of the ranges in distance and dispersion of each individual player using each club, I suspect that we would see some much bigger differences.  In fact, the TrueRank shows us for how many players each club was in the statistically significant best group. 

So if the differences in the clubs was "just about statistically insignificant", then there would have been a 25 way tie for first in the TrueRank.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

This is exactly why I liked the year where we had individual tester breakdowns.

All drivers by our OEMs are good drivers. The Most Wanted driver test does a good job of telling me where I should start not necessarily where I will end up.

I can tell you beyond a doubt that a Callaway driver will not be optimal for me. I always get too low launch and too little spin from their drivers. Conversely I seem to get too much spin from whatever Cobra offers.

I just don't even bother with those two brands anymore but I will recommend them to friends in a heartbeat depending upon that friend's swing characteristics.

It just seems that Ping and Mizuno's driver head design fits my profile. Opposite of most I've found that shaft means less than head in that I seem to do fine with stock shortened. I'll go for a driver fitting and all the shafts seem to make very little difference - of course that would change if the fitter intentionally put me in something that wouldn't fit my profile.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If you have a swing that varies like 20 different people, then I would understand this conclusion.  Otherwise, I don't think the data says this at all.  The data displayed for distance and dispersion is the average of 20 pretty different people.  Looking at only this, one could say that all drivers are more or less the same.  If we had the data of the ranges in distance and dispersion of each individual player using each club, I suspect that we would see some much bigger differences.  In fact, the TrueRank shows us for how many players each club was in the statistically significant best group. 

So if the differences in the clubs was "just about statistically insignificant", then there would have been a 25 way tie for first in the TrueRank.

The entire purpose of testing with a large group of players with a variety of handicaps and swing speeds is to eliminate the variables that a  single person brings to the table.  You might like a blue head or a white head or a white shaft or a green shaft and swing that club better or worse, but the data tells you that all drivers have the same potential for distance and dispersion.  Any differences you have with your individual swing are down to your own inconsistencies and not the club itself. Yes one might go slightly higher or slightly lower or slightly left or right but these small differences can all be played or adjusted to quite easily. 

Statistical significance has nothing to do with TrueRank which is personal preference.  Don't conflate the two, that's what's confusing you. 

The entire purpose of testing with a large group of players with a variety of handicaps and swing speeds is to eliminate the variables that a  single person brings to the table.  You might like a blue head or a white head or a white shaft or a green shaft and swing that club better or worse, but the data tells you that all drivers have the same potential for distance and dispersion.  Any differences you have with your individual swing are down to your own inconsistencies and not the club itself. Yes one might go slightly higher or slightly lower or slightly left or right but these small differences can all be played or adjusted to quite easily. 

Statistical significance has nothing to do with TrueRank which is personal preference.  Don't conflate the two, that's what's confusing you. 

Regarding the first bolded statement,  this is not necessarily correct.  The XXIO drivers are designed and constructed for low swing speed players.  It has no adjustments and a glued hosel.  When put into the hands of a high swing speed player the performance falls apart.  It would have to be fit to the high speed player to perform.  During the testing,  looking at that driver across all players I bet you would see differences.

TrueRank has nothing to do with personal preference.  We as testers provide no input on personal preference for the clubs,  it is strictly based on performance data.  The percentage number for truerank is the percent of testers that that driver performed best for.  

Regarding the first bolded statement,  this is not necessarily correct.  The XXIO drivers are designed and constructed for low swing speed players.  It has no adjustments and a glued hosel.  When put into the hands of a high swing speed player the performance falls apart.  It would have to be fit to the high speed player to perform.  During the testing,  looking at that driver across all players I bet you would see differences.

TrueRank has nothing to do with personal preference.  We as testers provide no input on personal preference for the clubs,  it is strictly based on performance data.  The percentage number for truerank is the percent of testers that that driver performed best for.  

XXIO designed and constructed for low swing speed players and yet didn't outperform generic drivers designed for everyone.  That should tell you something but probably won't.  The TrueRank scale holds no sway with me.  The overall numbers tell the story for anyone willing to listen. 

Statistical significance has nothing to do with TrueRank which is personal preference. Don't conflate the two, that's what's confusing you.

https://mygolfspy.com/how-we-test-and-rank-golf-clubs/

Please read this link in its entirety. If you still believe there is “confusion and conflation” from my side, then by all means buy a Mizuno driver because you like blue. They're all the same anyways. 😉

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

I absolutely agree that the head is a big factor. I am somewhere between 5' 7" and 5' 8", 55 years old with an 105mph average swing speed. I had a fitting about 18 months ago. Couldn't hit an XR16 with any shaft, could not hit Fusion, only hit an M1 with senior flex shaft +2, I did okay with Mizuno and good with a G30,same three shafts on all heads. I can hit any Cleveland driver I pick up, but for me personally my Cobra was longest and most consistent. We have a 281yd par 4 that I can consistently drive. In the last three weeks with wet conditions I got to the front once and plugged within ten yards twice. For as many golfers that prefer Callaway, the reverend can't hit Callaway either or my preferred Cobra.

Set1
Driver - :cobra-small:Cobra King F6+ set 9.5 D, Matrix 65M4 Black Tie R-Flex 65g low-mid launch 
Fairway - :cobra-small:Cobra F6 3/4 and 7/8 both R-flex
Irons - Tour Edge Exotics E8 Steel R-flex 4-PW
Wedges - :cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX 50 and 54, and Smart Sole 3 58
Putter - Top Flite Tour Align 5
Rangefinder - Leupold GX-2i3

Set2

Driver - Custom Built - Accura SP-700 400cc 10deg 48.5" S-flex

Hybrids - :adams-small:Adams Idea A50s 3 and 4

Irons - :taylormade-small:Taylor Made Burner Oversize 3-PW, lightly used 3 and 4 still in original plastic(auction buy $15 w/bag and several other clubs)

Wedges - Snake Eyes 52 & 56 and Dunlop True Tech Lob 64

Putter - W :wilson-small:ilson Harmonized M1

Set 3

My original set approximately 43 years old and I occasionally take the irons out for a swing

:titelist-small:Titleist Lite 100

https://mygolfspy.com/how-we-test-and-rank-golf-clubs/

Please read this link in its entirety. If you still believe there is “confusion and conflation” from my side, then by all means buy a Mizuno driver because you like blue. They're all the same anyways. 😉

I'd have no problem at all buying a Mizuno driver or just about any other driver on the list. I'm not swayed by anecdotes.

Archived