Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

2018 Best Driver for average swing speed

MattF

Quote function still not working - grrr!  This discussion about trying to conduct club testing and isolating the influences of various players swing mechanics, prejudices (size, color, look, etc.) of club, makes me wonder why all head to head testing just isn't performed by robots?  It would seem to be a much less subjective way of truly comparing clubs?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Quote function still not working - grrr!  This discussion about trying to conduct club testing and isolating the influences of various players swing mechanics, prejudices (size, color, look, etc.) of club, makes me wonder why all head to head testing just isn't performed by robots?  It would seem to be a much less subjective way of truly comparing clubs?

There are answers to that question on the forum somewhere.  MGS (Adam, Tony, and team) has done lots of research on this topic and even the manufacturers acknowledge that robot testing isn't the best way to test clubs.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Interesting @cnosil, I did not know that.  It would seem that mechanized swing tests would at least remove the bias such as aesthetics; "this color sucks", "head size looks huge", etc.  I'd like to see that old analysis if you or anyone else can remember where it is. Thanks. 

Interesting @cnosil, I did not know that.  It would seem that mechanized swing tests would at least remove the bias such as aesthetics; "this color sucks", "head size looks huge", etc.  I'd like to see that old analysis if you or anyone else can remember where it is. Thanks. 

https://mygolfspy.com/golf-club-testing-results-you-can-trust/

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Good article.  It still seems to me that if robots are able to deliver a more consistent swing path, that they would provide a more reliable set of data as it pertains to how a club performs when hit in the sweet spot and around it. If, as the experts suggest, they are effective in design/development, it would seem that would be true for head to head comparisons.  I do think that the cited shortcomings about robot kinematics (as compared to humans), and the tactile (soft tissue/feel) will eventually be replicated - or nearly so. Until then, I guess it's on us bipeds to decide. :)

If you were to do just robot tests, all clubs would be equal. This is why there is what the max COR for drivers does It is the imperfection and inconsistency of the human that starts to create the separation. For example, Robots don't interpret the visual cues on a club and close or open the face as a result. Adam has often told a story of a driver that performs well on a robot but the sightlines and shape caused every human tester to pull the ball.

It seems to me that COR being a physical attribute of the club, similar to swing weight, MOI, shaft flex, torque, etc., would not be a factor in whether the club is hit by a human or robot.  I totally get the missing element of "feel" that human tests provide. What I'm struggling with is that if the robot swing path is more able to precisely and repeatedly deliver the club face to the ball -  it would seem less subjective and more representative of how clubs differ with ball flight results.  Interesting topic.

The point is all of those variables impact how a player swings the club. They do not impact how the robot swings a club. On a robot I would probably be correct in stating all clubs perform basically the same. The variables are what impact how a person swings the club. While you can make a robot swing out to in, you will never be able to simulate the effects of appearance or weighting changing a persons swing from in to out to out to in simply based on how the driver looks or feels.

As stated in the article referenced industry experts agree that human testing is the correct approach. You can not simulate a human response with a club robot. Let's look at twist face. It is designed for high toe and low heel hits. If the design of the club causes people to hit it low toe and high heel, then twist face provides minimal i any benefit. A robot can show that the is minimal benefit to those hits but not that the configuration of the club causes those type of hits.

The point is all of those variables impact how a player swings the club. They do not impact how the robot swings a club. On a robot I would probably be correct in stating all clubs perform basically the same. The variables are what impact how a person swings the club. While you can make a robot swing out to in, you will never be able to simulate the effects of appearance or weighting changing a persons swing from in to out to out to in simply based on how the driver looks or feels.

As stated in the article referenced industry experts agree that human testing is the correct approach. You can not simulate a human response with a club robot.

Summed it up perfectly. 

Played with a buddy of mine who mentioned that, though all the rests of his shafts are regular flex, he recently switched to a stiff shaft for his driver.  I asked if I could hit a tee shot with it after my initial shot with my regular flex driver.  Boom!  Sent it thirty yards beyond my first shot!  So, is this typical?  Even though I have an average swing speed, would I consistently get more distance by switching to a driver with a stiff shaft???

I've been a Lutheran pastor for almost 40 years.

Played with a buddy of mine who mentioned that, though all the rests of his shafts are regular flex, he recently switched to a stiff shaft for his driver.  I asked if I could hit a tee shot with it after my initial shot with my regular flex driver.  Boom!  Sent it thirty yards beyond my first shot!  So, is this typical?  Even though I have an average swing speed, would I consistently get more distance by switching to a driver with a stiff shaft???

Hard to say, but potentially yes.   It is more likely a better fitting head/shaft combination.  

Played with a buddy of mine who mentioned that, though all the rests of his shafts are regular flex, he recently switched to a stiff shaft for his driver. I asked if I could hit a tee shot with it after my initial shot with my regular flex driver. Boom! Sent it thirty yards beyond my first shot! So, is this typical? Even though I have an average swing speed, would I consistently get more distance by switching to a driver with a stiff shaft???

It depends on your swing but probably yes. I am sure you are going to be shocked at this advice but go GET FIT by a reputable fitter and find the best head/shaft combo for you.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Archived