Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2016 vs 17 M1/M2 fairway wood differences?

ThatKyle

My bag is really starting to show its age. As a result, I'm trying to do a complete upgrade this season. I'm planning on a big spend on my irons so trying to go the more budget route for my woods via picking up a demo/used 3 and 5 wood.

For those who have gamed both the 16 and 17 M1 or M2 models, is there anything notable I should be aware of? I've done a ton of digging and reading of old posts blogs but haven't found much that specifically compares the fairway woods.

Is it worth the extra $ to go with the 2017? I've hit the 2016 M1 and M2 and loved them, but my local shops don't have any lefties of the 2017s in stock for me to experiment with. 

Lefty in the Mitten State currently carrying: TM '17 M2 9.5  w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 Â· Exotics EX10 15° w/ GD Tour AD Stiff ·  :cobra-small: F7 HY @ 20° ·   :cobra-small:   Forged Tec Black 5i-AW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 ·  :callaway-small:  MD2 56°+ 60° ·  :nike-small:  Method B2-01 · Kirkland Signature · Clicgear 2.0 · Course photo albums: Boyne Highlands + Bay Harbor (Michigan) | Wailea Gold & Emerald (Maui) | Forest Dunes (Michigan)

Why the big money on irons? Chances are there will be the least amount of difference between irons that you exchange. Why not go less on irons and more on Driver, putter and wedges where it will pay off.

Also why this particular fairway wood?

I'm sure that there is very little difference between this year's iteration of fairway metals and that one. I'd call it a smart move - just want to make sure that you think your way through it.

Someone asked me those questions a year ago when I was looking to overhaul my bag. I carefully analyzed my club usage and realized it would be silly to spend big dollars on irons. I only recently purchased a used set of G30's for 375. I would never have even considered these if it weren't for that analysis and then a fitting. That iron shouldn't be for me, I'm a low handicapper, but it fits my swing profile wonderfully. Do you know your numbers with your irons? Not just clubhead speed but AoA, launch angle, spin rate?

If you're going to do this, do it right so that you can get your hand into your buddies' wallets.

Have fun and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I've had my current X-22's for 7+ years. There's a good chance a child will be in my future a year or two from now and the wife has cleared a one time big spend this season. I intend the irons I buy to be what I game for quite some time as new woods, wedges, etc are easy enough to sneak in now and then. I've already gone through a fitting process for my irons - just have yet to pull the trigger as there were a couple combinations that we found would work for me. I'll be keeping my current wedges and putter(s) for at least this season as I'm 100% happy with how they are working for me now. 

I'm not 100% set on the M1 or M2s but I've hit pretty much everything else from the other brands during the same model years so just trying to get an idea of what the difference is between these specifically. I really love the EX10 and would buy it in a second if I could find it in lefty for the prices I'm finding for other brands or they at least offered a 5 wood in lefty. 

Why the big money on irons? Chances are there will be the least amount of difference between irons that you exchange. Why not go less on irons and more on Driver, putter and wedges where it will pay off.

Also why this particular fairway wood?

I'm sure that there is very little difference between this year's iteration of fairway metals and that one. I'd call it a smart move - just want to make sure that you think your way through it.

Someone asked me those questions a year ago when I was looking to overhaul my bag. I carefully analyzed my club usage and realized it would be silly to spend big dollars on irons. I only recently purchased a used set of G30's for 375. I would never have even considered these if it weren't for that analysis and then a fitting. That iron shouldn't be for me, I'm a low handicapper, but it fits my swing profile wonderfully. Do you know your numbers with your irons? Not just clubhead speed but AoA, launch angle, spin rate?

If you're going to do this, do it right so that you can get your hand into your buddies' wallets.

Have fun and good luck.

Lefty in the Mitten State currently carrying: TM '17 M2 9.5  w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 Â· Exotics EX10 15° w/ GD Tour AD Stiff ·  :cobra-small: F7 HY @ 20° ·   :cobra-small:   Forged Tec Black 5i-AW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 ·  :callaway-small:  MD2 56°+ 60° ·  :nike-small:  Method B2-01 · Kirkland Signature · Clicgear 2.0 · Course photo albums: Boyne Highlands + Bay Harbor (Michigan) | Wailea Gold & Emerald (Maui) | Forest Dunes (Michigan)

Archived