Testers Announced! Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Drivers and Autoflex Dream 7 Shafts! ×

How soon do you roll or turn your wrist directing the toe of the club upwards? This is something I'm working on and would like to hear your thoughts.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I don't consciously turn my wrist.  It happens as part of the turning and rotation of the upper body. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

If I do this I hit them directly sideways (my last name). Worked this thing out of my swing. I try to keep the club face pointing at the ball for as long as possible in my takeaway / backswing.

But my miss is right, so I try to avoid opening the face at all.

I don't consciously turn my wrist. It happens as part of the turning and rotation of the upper body.

Same. If I think about my wrists or consciously do something, bad things happen. I turn my shoulders and my body automatically does the rest. Thankfully I got lessons from a former club pro who gave me tips to build a simple swing that works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Same. If I think about my wrists or consciously do something, bad things happen. I turn my shoulders and my body automatically does the rest. Thankfully I got lessons from a former club pro who gave me tips to build a simple swing that works for me.

Sounds like the shoulders are the engine to the backswing.

Cleveland

That's how I fixed my slice with the driver. I focused on my shoulder turn, and I think it just timed everything up better.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Just to be blunt and honest-- I be dammed if I know for me I have never given it any thought--- I am not mechanical at all

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I'm nowhere near good enough to say "yes" to that, but I can say that I was all over the place with how to start the backswing before finally getting some lessons. I was all hands and arms, no distance and lots of slices. 

I was told to just feel like my front shoulder turns into my rear back toe, and practice using a club laid across my chest. Once I started doing that, I felt a coil and tension like never before. My arms and wrists just moved along with my body, and I wasn't opening the clubface by thinking about moving my wrists in any certain direction.

Of course, I'm still a 21 handicap, so take all of that with a grain of salt! However, I immediately started scoring in the 90's and losing less balls off the tee once I started thinking about my shoulders and not my hands in the backswing. If I can ever have a golf season where I get out there more than 12-15 times total, I'm betting my handicap will drop accordingly.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

This is a good visual of what I am referring to:

https://youtu.be/HUbxx-NIgJ8

Cleveland

OG do you have a pro you can get lessons from? I understand trying to learn on your own but it appears your getting overly mechanical and I think it's going to end up hurting your swing

Yea we actually have a teaching academy at my course. I've taken a boat load of lessons over the years from seven different instructors.  Last year I worked with ny pro at Lane Creek with a six pack of lessons.  We work on one phase and didn't move on until myself and my teacher felt like I had accomplished my goals.  These lessons went on for the entire year because I was taking my time to grasp and practice what I was taught.  

http://www.lanecreekgolfclub.com/golf-academy/

Cleveland

This toe up drill is something that my coach was working with me on.  He also said it was similar to reaching out to shake hands to the fellow behind ya and turning trough to shake hands with another in front.   

More about our instructor and facilities:

http://cuttsbgolf.com/

Cleveland

Trying to find it in his 1000000 videos. If I do I will put up the link.

Here's another example of what I'm working on: 

https://youtu.be/Ggb-GG1uX3c

Cleveland

If I force it and do it too soon I get very flat and have a beautiful left to left ball flight. Probably when the club is pointing at about 8 o'clock if you're facing me

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Rolling those hands under is a no no...  ;)   I am very familiar with the old left to left shot.  :D

Cleveland

I'm nowhere near good enough to say "yes" to that, but I can say that I was all over the place with how to start the backswing before finally getting some lessons. I was all hands and arms, no distance and lots of slices. 

I was told to just feel like my front shoulder turns into my rear back toe, and practice using a club laid across my chest. Once I started doing that, I felt a coil and tension like never before. My arms and wrists just moved along with my body, and I wasn't opening the clubface by thinking about moving my wrists in any certain direction.

Of course, I'm still a 21 handicap, so take all of that with a grain of salt! However, I immediately started scoring in the 90's and losing less balls off the tee once I started thinking about my shoulders and not my hands in the backswing. If I can ever have a golf season where I get out there more than 12-15 times total, I'm betting my handicap will drop accordingly.

Very well stated and happens to be exactly what I am working on as well. hope to be sub-90 soon and then trending down...I hope!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Watching the Champions tour and everyone of of those old codgers toe it up on the way back.....    Must be something to it huh?

Cleveland

Watching the Champions tour and everyone of of those old codgers toe it up on the way back.....    Must be something to it huh?

You seem pretty obsessed with this.  Where does your club point at those positions?

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

You seem pretty obsessed with this.  Where does your club point at those positions?

I have fought laying the club off for all my life.  It's like you could almost put a cup of coffee on the clubface on my backswing.  I would have to have perfect timing to square up the face for contact.  Getting too old to have great hand eye coordination so I need to go an easier route.  I'm thinking toe up back and through will simplify my move. 

Cleveland

Just to be blunt and honest-- I be dammed if I know for me I have never given it any thought--- I am not mechanical at all

Kinda my thought also.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Yea we actually have a teaching academy at my course. I've taken a boat load of lessons over the years from seven different instructors.  Last year I worked with ny pro at Lane Creek with a six pack of lessons.  We work on one phase and didn't move on until myself and my teacher felt like I had accomplished my goals.  These lessons went on for the entire year because I was taking my time to grasp and practice what I was taught.  

http://www.lanecreekgolfclub.com/golf-academy/

That last sentence says it all and is the ONLY formula for improvement if you are taking the time and making an effort with lessons. I know quite a few instructors here and have heard them say that folks think they can instantly apply something and improve a lot without practicing what they have been taught

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have fought laying the club off for all my life.  It's like you could almost put a cup of coffee on the clubface on my backswing.  I would have to have perfect timing to square up the face for contact.  Getting too old to have great hand eye coordination so I need to go an easier route.  I'm thinking toe up back and through will simplify my move. 

My backswing has never been consistent at all. I have always naturally re routed the club without thinking. Sometimes I lay it off sometimes I do not When I played my best golf I had sorta a loop in my backswing when I rerouted the club. I have a shorter backswing now so the loop is not as pronounced. And like you with getting older my hand coordination is not as good as it used to be.

G

Understand that move as I have had that in the past.  I just tried to do this and for me it required a lot of wrist action to make it happen.   I am not saying this will work, but a little wrist bow might help. 

Understand that move as I have had that in the past.  I just tried to do this and for me it required a lot of wrist action to make it happen.   I am not saying this will work, but a little wrist bow might help. 

I'll give it a go and thanks! 

Cleveland

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not saying toe up to toe up is for everybody. Maybe it only works great for me however I have never hit the golf ball straighter are more solid than I am right now.  I know having my clubs fit was huge however I can honestly say there is something special going on right now. I know it can vanish in a heartbeat however I'm feeling something that I'm not familiar with which is very solid and consistent iron striking.  My short game needs to jump on the wagon and let's see where we can go. 

Cleveland

Archived