Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Tempo

revkev

Typical of upscale clubs in Florida mine is populated with a number of people who have, are trying to or are making a living at golf as professionals. Our staff has six pros on it four of whom serve officially in that capacity two of whom regularly teach.

I was on the range today with Brent who is 75 and played on the PGA and European tour including wins in Europe. His dreams of playing on the Senior Tour were dashed when hi suffered a stroke.

Brent hits balls nearly every day. He has a beautiful swing, doesn't hit it that far but you could put a blanket over anything he hits.

I walked up to him on the range and asked what he was working on. Here's his reply.

“Tempo! It's always the same thing. Tempo keeps the club in front of you (exactly what my teacher is always talking about.) Here, here and here the club is a n front of your body with good tempo. We all try to swing the handle too fast. The handle doesn't hit the ball, the club face does. Good tempo delivers the face squarely to the ball every time.”

Let me tell you I striped six three woods and a couple of 6 irons after that before hitting a few pitches and heading out.

Wise words.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I know I seem to be struggling with that lately. Good advice!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

If I'm not careful my backswing gets too quick and I have to go with a count in my head.  Like back and through or the big easy.   I have to remind myself you don't hit the ball with my backswing. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Tempo os one of my biggest struggles. And it definitely causes club to get out of position as well as my sequencing

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Pretty cool to see someone accomplished in the game still working on basics.  

Has anyone tried any of the tempo apps?  Tour Tempo or anyone similar?  any positive feedback?

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9o w/ Ventus 6X

:callaway-small:  Rogue 4wd w/ ATMOS Red 7X

:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20o w/ ATMOS Blue 7S tipped 1"

:mizuno-small:  JPX 900 Tour 4i - PW (standard lofts) Rifle

:titelist-small:  SM6 51o, 59o, SM7 55o   

:titelist-small:  2019 ProV1x

:tp-mills-1: Custom Ming

Has anyone tried any of the tempo apps? Tour Tempo or anyone similar? any positive feedback?

Not familiar with them - do tell more.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I have read and practiced Tour Tempo, I think it works.  They said that when the swing gets quick to think to yourself Swing, Set, Through.  With the Swing being the beginning of your swing, the Set being the transition with the body beginning the forward motion and the hand and arms completing the backswing.  The Through is the impact thought,  they discuss the different tempos too, if I recall correctly swings are on a 3:1 ratio but can be fast or slow.  Mine is somewhat slow.  

Before my back began giving me problems 4 years ago, I actually had a  pretty good tempo but it has completely gone away over those years while I was fighting pain every time I played.  I have never been a long hitter but for my age I am not super short either, hitting the ball square with a good tempo will lead to some good scores IMO.  I am hoping to begin play again either the last week of this month or early next month and tempo will be my main thought when I return to play. 

I would recommend you buy the book and seeing how it can help.

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

That is great advice for Mr. Brent. 

When I was younger, I had an older neighbor that I always said "Hi" to but never really had a meaningful conversation with growing up.  Well one day several years ago I was on the range just hitting some balls since I didn't have time for a full 9.  Right next to me happened to be my old neighbor.  He watched me hit a few shots, then stopped me between balls and asked me if I ever took lessons.  I told him "No, I just picked up a club, hit a ball, and was hooked from them.  All self taught I told him proudly."  He looks at me and says "I bet you hit a nasty push slice almost everytime with the driver, huh?"  Like a smarta$$ I said "why because I set up so far left?".  He proceeds to tell me a little story I will never forget.  As it turns out this "Old Timer", as I used to call him,(I was a punk as a kid!) used to play a little professional golf.   He tells me while trying to make it on tour, he was on the range and Sam Snead came up to him and gave him the best advice he had ever received.  Sam told him that he needed to take his right thumb off the club to free up his wrist cock.  Turns out I was subconsciously doing the same thing, leading to not being able to unhinge my wrists because of tension   When I started practicing this way the slice turned into a fade and playable without aiming off the planet.  From that day until his passing, I always sought him out if I seen him to thank him and pick his brain for advice.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Has anyone tried any of the tempo apps? Tour Tempo or anyone similar? any positive feedback?

We had a lengthy discussion about Tour Tempo around three years ago. Lots of the guys on here at that time touted it.

I doubt Brent has ever heard of it. He knows nothing about equipment beyond blades and playing what feels right to him. He's does all my grips for me. He's very old school.

He told me that Tempo is the only thing he works on when he practices. I believe him because it never looks like he varies his routine.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have read and practiced Tour Tempo, I think it works.  They said that when the swing gets quick to think to yourself Swing, Set, Through.  With the Swing being the beginning of your swing, the Set being the transition with the body beginning the forward motion and the hand and arms completing the backswing.  The Through is the impact thought,  they discuss the different tempos too, if I recall correctly swings are on a 3:1 ratio but can be fast or slow.  Mine is somewhat slow.  

Before my back began giving me problems 4 years ago, I actually had a  pretty good tempo but it has completely gone away over those years while I was fighting pain every time I played.  I have never been a long hitter but for my age I am not super short either, hitting the ball square with a good tempo will lead to some good scores IMO.  I am hoping to begin play again either the last week of this month or early next month and tempo will be my main thought when I return to play. 

I would recommend buy the book and seeing how it can help.

Bruther I can't wait til you get your big arse back on the course!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Yes, tempo is where it's at, if my tempo is off, my game is no good. When it's on, it's like a hot knife through butter. Smooth and silky. When it's off, it's like trying to fix the birds nest while fishing.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

NOTHING throws off my tempo like playing in wind, and brother have we had a lot of wind lately.  When the wind stops, I will have to learn how to swing all over again.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Whenever I play with sub 70 golfers are top club pros.There seems to be a consensus.They all say it is more tempo than worrying about ever millimeter of the swing that makes them play well.Maybe I need to listen to them more

Keep it in the short stuff

NOTHING throws off my tempo like playing in wind, and brother have we had a lot of wind lately. When the wind stops, I will have to learn how to swing all over again.

Even the tour guys say this. They often have to retool after the British Open because of all the cross winds.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

When I'm having a bad day with my swing, I make myself slow down and do the 1-2 count in my head, back and through the swing. It's amazing how slowing things down and getting your tempo/timing back brings what seems like effortless shots and distance. Too bad I can't keep that in my head all the time.

I like Tour Tempo, I prefer the songs they have vs the voice command tracks. Being a drummer, their method made sense to me. I don't have the app, just some of their tracks that I have on my phone for the range.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I've often said. I would pay very good money to be able to develop good tempo and rhythm! I can't develop either. I'm a mess on the dance floor as well

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I've often said. I would pay very good money to be able to develop good tempo and rhythm! I can't develop either. I'm a mess on the dance floor as well

Yeah I'm not going to get he dance floor either. Proud to be a wall flower.

But as far as Tempo I. A golf swing, it's always a work in progress for me as well.

Yeah I'm not going to get he dance floor either. Proud to be a wall flower.

But as far as Tempo I. A golf swing, it's always a work in progress for me as well.

I guess you hit the key word....work! And you do put the work in, I know!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

This is something I've been working on a lot lately too.  I've slowed mine down a ton and it's helped my iron play tremendously, especially my long irons. It's also helped me have better contact with my driver.  

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

It's funny, I know a lot of guys when I played in high school warmed up with ipod earbuds in to find the tempo on the range. Problem was for me that I was more about establishing a modd for the round with the music than finding tempo.

What I have developed for my swing is a "reboot" swing if tempo or feel gets off. Basically it's a swing your hardest type thing that I call the hard reset which allows me to back it up to the way it was. I should probably work on tempo more though, maybe this is a wake-up call!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I bought a metronome on Ebay several years ago, and used it on the range as a tempo aid. Might be worth looking at.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I have an app on my phone that I've used for this on occasion. I know there are several available. When I can get some alone time at a range I think it really helps me. 

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Every range session or warm up before a round, I concentrate on my three fundaments--balance, tension and tempo.  I find that if one gets too far out of whack, my game goes south quickly.  The three are related for me.  If I grip the club too tight, I swing too fast and get off balance.  When I evaluate a shot on the course, I use the RIBS acronym: Rhythm, impact, balance and strain.  

This works for me:  My "swing thought" is also a tempo control.  I think "To the Target."  Take the club back on "To," top of the back swing at "Tar" and start the downswing arm movement on "get."  In practice I will say it out loud to ingrain the feel.  I see it on every shot, practice or on the course.   

I also carry a metronome with me on the course.  It is called a seven iron.  I hold it by the end of the handle between my thumb and forefinger and swing it back and forth like a pendulum or a child on a swing.  I repeat the "to the target" in sync with the club.  A seven iron works for my natural tempo.  Gravity is pretty constant on the courses I play and the length of the seven iron doesn't change, so I can find the rhythm anywhere on the range or course.     

Gravity is pretty constant on the courses I play....     

Lucky. On the courses I play, balls break uphill sometimes. It's very frustrating.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

As a follow up I went to the range and as I came in Brent was coming off the putting green.

I was striping the ball on the range. I was also spot on out of the practice bunker.

I asked him how he takes his tempo from the range to the course. Here's the reply, “That's the longest 100 yards in golf from the driving range to the first tee. More strokes dropped there than anywhere else.”

“You have to play like you're a kid. Come on, let's go, I'll show you.”

We went and played 8 and 9 - two brutal par 4's. He went par, birdie and I went bogey birdie. 8 is 420 and it was dead into the wind.

That's the first time I've ever played with someone who was a regular on the PGA tour. He's 75 and still hits it pretty good, longer than I do that's for certain.

He said you should always end your practice by playing a couple of holes. If you can't then pretend up to and including walking over to the practice green on each “hole.”

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

One thing I noticed is the tempo of my back swing directly effects the down swing. If I rip the club back I am always going to slam it forward. Producing some wild tee balls. On the range I have been trying to take a smooth backswing. It seems to be helping some. I'll definitely look in to some of the tempo apps. Thank you for sharing Rev.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

In retrospect Tempo is where it all falls out. Anything to remove tension helps.

If I have the proper equipment it's simple a matter of swinging it and letting the club do the work.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

As a follow up I went to the range and as I came in Brent was coming off the putting green.

I was striping the ball on the range. I was also spot on out of the practice bunker.

I asked him how he takes his tempo from the range to the course. Here's the reply, “That's the longest 100 yards in golf from the driving range to the first tee. More strokes dropped there than anywhere else.”

“You have to play like you're a kid. Come on, let's go, I'll show you.”

We went and played 8 and 9 - two brutal par 4's. He went par, birdie and I went bogey birdie. 8 is 420 and it was dead into the wind.

That's the first time I've ever played with someone who was a regular on the PGA tour. He's 75 and still hits it pretty good, longer than I do that's for certain.

He said you should always end your practice by playing a couple of holes. If you can't then pretend up to and including walking over to the practice green on each “hole.”

I feel like I get more out of these posts than I do playing for a whole month.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Archived