Tempo

revkev

The funny thing is, for most amateur golfers, the harder they try to improve their tempo the more mechanical they get and the worse their tempo gets

Yep

Here's what is working or has worked for me. Counting “one and” on the back swing or when my tempo is really good trying to feel where the clubhead is throughout the swing. If I think that I feel the clubhead and I'm letting it do all the work my tempo is right.

That's where properly fit equipment comes in. The proper shaft helps me to know what's going on with my swing. I like lighter, a bit longer (so flatter) and looser (less stiff) because it forces me to swing slower to find the sweet spot. In swinging slower my sequence is better and the clubhead is actually going faster at impact.

It's golf - just do the opposite of what makes sense and you'll be fine. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It's golf - just do the opposite of what makes sense and you'll be fine. :)

Exactly right. It's funny how often this seems to be the case. 

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Pretty cool to see someone accomplished in the game still working on basics.  

Has anyone tried any of the tempo apps?  Tour Tempo or anyone similar?  any positive feedback?

Music metronome apps work great! I'm a musician so I've always had a metronome app and one day decided to try it with my swing. I now probably use it more for golf than music. It's something that you can just work on in you living room or back yard. You can find a tempo (single, double, triple) that works for your swing and adjust the speed of the clicks. Depending on the app, the clicks are pretty piercing so if you happen to be out of tempo, you can hear it through your swing and adjust. The great thing is that you can save your perfect tempo and always refer back to it. Now whenever I'm playing, I'm able to channel the tempo clicks in my mind and it really helps. Or, I just pull out the app and reset right on the course. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Struggled with it on the practice range today. Really struggled with it. I found that using a drill my teacher gave me helped. Hitting three quarter 7 iron fades.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

There is a YouTube video on Myswingevolution where Cristo talks about what he thinks the swing looks like in relation to a bow being drawn back. He sketches a small drawing of what he is thinking about and it looks very fluid.

Ever since I saw that I have tried to make my tempo match that drawing. I don't know, maybe I'm just nuts and this doesn't help anyone, just thought I would share!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

There is a YouTube video on Myswingevolution where Cristo talks about what he thinks the swing looks like in relation to a bow being drawn back. He sketches a small drawing of what he is thinking about and it looks very fluid.

Ever since I saw that I have tried to make my tempo match that drawing. I don't know, maybe I'm just nuts and this doesn't help anyone, just thought I would share!

Who knows - thanks for sharing it.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

That is great advice for Mr. Brent.

When I was younger, I had an older neighbor that I always said "Hi" to but never really had a meaningful conversation with growing up. Well one day several years ago I was on the range just hitting some balls since I didn't have time for a full 9. Right next to me happened to be my old neighbor. He watched me hit a few shots, then stopped me between balls and asked me if I ever took lessons. I told him "No, I just picked up a club, hit a ball, and was hooked from them. All self taught I told him proudly." He looks at me and says "I bet you hit a nasty push slice almost everytime with the driver, huh?" Like a smarta$$ I said "why because I set up so far left?". He proceeds to tell me a little story I will never forget. As it turns out this "Old Timer", as I used to call him,(I was a punk as a kid!) used to play a little professional golf. He tells me while trying to make it on tour, he was on the range and Sam Snead came up to him and gave him the best advice he had ever received. Sam told him that he needed to take his right thumb off the club to free up his wrist cock. Turns out I was subconsciously doing the same thing, leading to not being able to unhinge my wrists because of tension When I started practicing this way the slice turned into a fade and playable without aiming off the planet. From that day until his passing, I always sought him out if I seen him to thank him and pick his brain for advice.

Great story!!!!

Goes to show.... You never "know" who you're talking to!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I have read and practiced Tour Tempo, I think it works. They said that when the swing gets quick to think to yourself Swing, Set, Through. With the Swing being the beginning of your swing, the Set being the transition with the body beginning the forward motion and the hand and arms completing the backswing. The Through is the impact thought, they discuss the different tempos too, if I recall correctly swings are on a 3:1 ratio but can be fast or slow. Mine is somewhat slow.

Before my back began giving me problems 4 years ago, I actually had a pretty good tempo but it has completely gone away over those years while I was fighting pain every time I played. I have never been a long hitter but for my age I am not super short either, hitting the ball square with a good tempo will lead to some good scores IMO. I am hoping to begin play again either the last week of this month or early next month and tempo will be my main thought when I return to play.

I would recommend you buy the book and seeing how it can help.

Was going to suggest the same thing ... I had NO idea what this "tempo" thing was I kept reading about. I am completely musically-challenged so not a clue about "rhythm", either.....

Well somewhere in these forums I saw a post talking about the "Tour Tempo" book and tones .. immediately went to their site and ordered. Got the earpiece - note this is not necessary as you get access to the tones, so you can put them on your iPod or smartphone .. or you can buy their app.

Anyway, cannot say that I'm not swinging 'in tempo' but listening to the tones while practicing has been a HUGE help!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

Typical of upscale clubs in Florida mine is populated with a number of people who have, are trying to or are making a living at golf as professionals. Our staff has six pros on it four of whom serve officially in that capacity two of whom regularly teach.

I was on the range today with Brent who is 75 and played on the PGA and European tour including wins in Europe. His dreams of playing on the Senior Tour were dashed when hi suffered a stroke.

Brent hits balls nearly every day. He has a beautiful swing, doesn't hit it that far but you could put a blanket over anything he hits.

I walked up to him on the range and asked what he was working on. Here's his reply.

“Tempo! It's always the same thing. Tempo keeps the club in front of you (exactly what my teacher is always talking about.) Here, here and here the club is a n front of your body with good tempo. We all try to swing the handle too fast. The handle doesn't hit the ball, the club face does. Good tempo delivers the face squarely to the ball every time.”

Let me tell you I striped six three woods and a couple of 6 irons after that before hitting a few pitches and heading out.

Wise words.

Rev .. love that story! Maybe he'll let you catch a short video of that swing you can share with us??

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

NOTHING throws off my tempo like playing in wind, and brother have we had a lot of wind lately. When the wind stops, I will have to learn how to swing all over again.

Even the tour guys say this. They often have to retool after the British Open because of all the cross winds.

That's curious .. according to the "opposite rule"* .. ;-) .. playing in wind should (perversely) help? Heard a saying: "swing easy when it's breezy".

* Hogan was quoted saying something like, "Reverse every natural instinct and you will come close to having a good golf swing."

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

I feel like I get more out of these posts than I do playing for a whole month.

+1 on that sentiment!!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

My home course has no range but it does have a net. If I dont have time to hit before teeing off, I find myself after hole 2 stopping and getting myself back in tempo. That could means just stopping to think it out, beverage, few practice swings, or anything to break it up if Im off kilter. No tempo no way of scoring or really having fun

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

My home course has no range but it does have a net. If I dont have time to hit before teeing off, I find myself after hole 2 stopping and getting myself back in tempo. That could means just stopping to think it out, beverage, few practice swings, or anything to break it up if Im off kilter. No tempo no way of scoring or really having fun

The beverage is the key ingredient.

I'm not seeing Brent in a video. He's a Nicklaus contemporary who knew and competed against Hogan. It took me three years to get up the courage to ask about his practice routine. If there's one guy on the range he will find a spot by himself on the other side. A nice guy but very private. A product of his time beyond a doubt.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The beverage is great French the key ingredient.

I'm not seeing Brent in a video. He's a Nicklaus contemporary who knew and competed against Hogan. It took me three years though get up the courage to ask about his practice routine. If there's one guy on the range he will find a spot by himself on the other side. A nice guy but very private. A product of his time beyond a doubt.

He sounds like an old school "class act"

Thought seeing his swing could be instructive but, yeah - gotta respect his privacy... Thx.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

Archived