TESTERS WANTED! ×

Simulator experience

balle1sa

Hello all,

First time posting on here. Just found the site and love it. I'm going to be moving from Arizona to Michigan. Still want to be able to play and keep my swing fresh in the winter.

Just wondering if anybody has ever used a simulator and what was the experience like? Is it realistic and fun enough to go to or possibly buy one?

Welcome to the forum!

If I could afford to own one, I think it would be a great way to work on your swing and keep things fresh.  Since I can't afford one I try to go to a shop about 40 miles away as often as I can during the winter just to swing a club.  It makes the winters somewhat more tolerable.  Just don't get your hopes to high, as it is a great way to pass the time but no where near the same thing.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Welcome

I went the other way - Wisconsin to Florida 12 years ago. While in Wisconsin I played in a league throughout the winter. Obviously we used a simulator. It's different of course but it was fun and it had certain benefits. For example with chipping we normally able the shots and the our bodies swing accordingly - on the simulator I had to develop another method to control distance - knee cap to knee cap is 24 feet with a PW or 28 feet with a 9 iron.

It made me totally rethink the feel thing. Feel is fine but it's best when it's connected to actual mechanics that will produce the proper shot rather than a blind guess.

Simulator, lessons, proper fitting, practice (especially with the Florida move) and more competitive play brought my handicap from 4 to 1.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Depends on the simulator. A course near me has a couple of Trackman 4's set up that are great. Putting is probably the most video game like thing, but people get around that by setting gimmees to anything inside of 10 feet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Driver: :cobra-small: RADSPEED 10.5°, Project X Even Flow RIPTIDE 60 6.5
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, 35", Evnroll Tourtac grip
Putter2: :edel-golf-1: Array model?????

Currently testing the Edel Array putter

I play in a sim league every winter. I love it! it gives me a chance to keep the swing in tune. The place that we play has Trugolf simulators(the horizon simulator to be specific $40-50K???)its something you would expect a Tour pro to have in there house. Sims will give you pretty accurate feedback on swing path, open/closed club face, club speed, ball speed, spin rate those sort of things but they do need to be calibrated once in a while. Putting is very suspect as you only have about 10' or 12' of actual putting surface anything longer than that is all feel. You are hitting off turf so there is that some people don't mind others hate it. Its more fun than anything else really. As far as your question on going to one vs purchase one, I would rather go to one unless you have some serious coin and space to purchase one.  The rates here are reasonable and our league runs 10 weeks, can't really comment on Michigan tho. Another option would be to get a launch monitor like a GC2 with will allow you to play and work on your game but its still around $5K.

Srixon Z785 8.5* Ventus 7X/Tensei Orange Pro TX70 

Callaway GBB Epic SZ 14* 42.5" Fuji Speeder Pro Tour Spec X 75

Wilson Staff Blades 3-PW TT DG120 X100

Cleveland RTX-RC 50/54/58 

Evnroll  ER2

Srixon  Z star XV

Golf Pride MCC

I'm in MN and this has been a brutally long winter.  Without playing in a sim I'd go nuts, I actually just played 18 at Whispering Pines last night.

So given the choice between no golf and simulator golf it's a no brainer.  Sim golf is still fun, just a different kind of fun.

How accurate the sim will be is all dependent on which simulator it is.  For the most part I'd say they are good enough for winter golf.  Most of the places around here use About Golf simulators and I find distances to be pretty good.  Chipping and putting can suck though.  There will be times where something wonky happens with a shot but it's not a deal breaker for me.

As for buying one, that all depends on what your budget will allow.  Eventually I will have a simulator at home, but it's on the long term plan.  So if you have space for it and can afford it, I'd absolutely buy/build one.  Otherwise see what's around the area you will be moving to and hopefully you can find something close by.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I've been using the Skytrak for two years now.  I love it.  For a 10+ handicapper like myself it's great just to see ball flight.  I'm sure the accuracy is +/-5%, but I'm more interested in direction and shape right now.  There's an online simulator league which is pretty fun.  If nothing else, you are swinging a golf club all winter!  So far, it hasn't translated to the course in terms of scoring, but I do feel more confident and believe that improvement will come as the weather gets better outdoors thanks to all the practice and feedback from the launch monitor.

I bought an Optishot about 18 months ago, and I really regret it. It just will not register a modern driver, and it frequently gives results that are just nowhere near accurate. I might have used it once this past winter.

One of the two First Tee locations in Richmond (the one my daughter works in) has two Trackman 4 bays. I spent a fair amount of time there over the winter. Lots of fun; brutally honest. Our other location should be getting at least one bay in late 2018.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived