Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

KZG or Fourteen

I'm looking at 2 sets of irons

1- KZG MO-l

2- Fourteen TF 525

I have no experience with Companies just wondering if anyone has played any of these?

Adams Speedline 4G ultralite driver stiff shaft

Taylormade SLDR driver extra stiff shaft

Ping G20 3 wood stiff shaft

Adams redline 3&4 hybrids stiff shaft

Adams redline 5-PW stiff shaft

Titleist Vokey sm5 wedges 52, 56, 60

Boccieri golf Heavy putter

Well, you have good taste in irons. Both companies make nice clean looking, forged irons.

I've yet to play Fourteen irons but they look like great quality. I've had numerous sets of KZG's and they are really forged irons. I think with either you are getting a high quality forging, it really depends on which you prefer to look at.

KZG are now forged in China, not Japan, which, while I personally don't think makes a difference in the quality, the aura of the Japanese forging is lost. Fourteen says they are a Japanese company but I haven't seen any mention of where they are actually forged.

Are you buying new or used? Custom fit?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

• 2 months later...

I am likely to late to help you.  I deejaid said about the KZG irons being forged in China now.  When I got my last set of KZG irons they asked if I wanted to pay $40 more per club for Japanese forgings or would I like the Chinese versions.

I went with the Japanese forged, KZG Forged III blades.  The fitter had me try the Fourteen irons and they were very soft feeling and the KZG just feel butter soft.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I am likely to late to help you. I deejaid said about the KZG irons being forged in China now. When I got my last set of KZG irons they asked if I wanted to pay $40 more per club for Japanese forgings or would I like the Chinese versions.

I went with the Japanese forged, KZG Forged III blades. The fitter had me try the Fourteen irons and they were very soft feeling and the KZG just feel butter soft.

Did they really offer the choice of Japan or China forged heads? . That's too funny.

I think you made a great choice. I'm sure the China forged heads are great too, but their Japanese forged heads feel unbelievable.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Everytime a KZG post comes up I walk over and pickup one of my KZG irons - lined up against the wall here in my office and sigh. How long have I had these deejaid? A year now? More? This past spring I had my fitter reshaft the 7i's with Wishon Black 85-R shafts for a try-out. My current gamers are Wishon 771's with Aerotech i80-R shafts. Absolutely love these - Wishon's -  for all reasons. I tested both (blade and cavity) of the KZG's with the Wishon shafts and hated them. Felt like I was swinging a 2x4 and felt terrible. My fitter initially presented me with the option of the Wishon or Aerotech shafts and I opted for the Wishon so save a few pennies. But, those two shafts, IMO are night and day apart. At least as far as feel goes. Perhaps this particular Wishon shaft wasn't a good match and another Wishon might be better. Probably so. No fault of my fitter. We gave it shot. Below I've posted photos of the KZG heads - both are 7i in the CB and blade. I've also included two photos of the Wishon shaft I tested. I'm not sure what all the small numbers mean on the shaft but some of you might. It's related to Wishons' shaft fitting system.

IMG_20180708_085602140.jpg

IMG_20180708_085632913.jpg

IMG_20180708_090023228.jpg

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Yeah, nearly a year and a half Plaid. And I still think of them too! They really are the best feeling irons I've ever hit. They have that “butter” feel you hear so much about.

Damn I should have kept that set!

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

I've had several sets of forged KZG irons. And yes, they feel softer than anything else I've hit. The one downside to them is size. They aren't anything close to oversize, nor are they as forgiving as an oversized modern cavity. But they're not claiming them to be, either...

Many of the historical "Japanese " JDM companies outsource some or all of their forging outside of Japan.  The companies that don't as far as I know are Miura , OnOff and Mizuno . I was told by a Fourteen representative ( Owned by Globeride that also owns OnOff ) that some of their line is produced outside of Japan.. 

Endo is a premium Forging house that produces Epon , OnOff , Yamaha , Srixon and others .

Texan Raised in Maryland

OnOff Kuro 2015 Irons 5-PW NS. Pro Modus 105 

Titleist TSi3 MC Tensei White 65 

Ping G425 Max  14.5 Max MC Tensei Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

Mizuno T20  50 ,54,58 Wedges

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 

Titleist Pro V-1X

• 7 months later...
On 7/8/2018 at 10:09 AM, PlaidJacket said:

Everytime a KZG post comes up I walk over and pickup one of my KZG irons - lined up against the wall here in my office and sigh. How long have I had these deejaid? A year now? More? This past spring I had my fitter reshaft the 7i's with Wishon Black 85-R shafts for a try-out. My current gamers are Wishon 771's with Aerotech i80-R shafts. Absolutely love these - Wishon's -  for all reasons. I tested both (blade and cavity) of the KZG's with the Wishon shafts and hated them. Felt like I was swinging a 2x4 and felt terrible. My fitter initially presented me with the option of the Wishon or Aerotech shafts and I opted for the Wishon so save a few pennies. But, those two shafts, IMO are night and day apart. At least as far as feel goes. Perhaps this particular Wishon shaft wasn't a good match and another Wishon might be better. Probably so. No fault of my fitter. We gave it shot. Below I've posted photos of the KZG heads - both are 7i in the CB and blade. I've also included two photos of the Wishon shaft I tested. I'm not sure what all the small numbers mean on the shaft but some of you might. It's related to Wishons' shaft fitting system.

IMG_20180708_085602140.jpg

IMG_20180708_085632913.jpg

IMG_20180708_090023228.jpg

The CBs are the exact iron I am playing now which are the 1st generation Kyoei forged. Like DJ said they are the softest best feeling irons I have ever hit and the only CBs I could control

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

On 7/8/2018 at 2:34 PM, therod said:

I've had several sets of forged KZG irons. And yes, they feel softer than anything else I've hit. The one downside to them is size. They aren't anything close to oversize, nor are they as forgiving as an oversized modern cavity. But they're not claiming them to be, either...

That is kinda how I ended up with mine. A buddy of mine bought them used and they had too much shaft for him or me. He ended up getting those Swing Science graphite shafts and I built them for him. He told me after one round that those were the ugliest long faced irons he had ever seen. I traded him out of them with the pretense of putting the shafts in my 2013 Callaway X Forged. I hit them one time and I was hooked no way those were going to be torn down! I did have to get over the long faces at first being used to playing Macgregor blades all my life. But the feel overcame that plus my miss is on the toe so the long toe helps me get away with stuff. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 2 months later...
On 4/16/2018 at 12:46 AM, Joshgellsworth said:

I'm looking at 2 sets of irons

1- KZG MO-l

2- Fourteen TF 525

I have no experience with Companies just wondering if anyone has played any of these?

I have TF 525. They feel very soft to me but I don't have a lot experience hitting other forged clubs. 9i and PW has too much offset. Whole set has too much offset actually, but that's just me.

I'm probably gonna get some rolling eyes.. but you ever hear of Maltby?

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I've heard only good things about either company, but I have to say that equipment forum denizens would likely lose their s--- over the fact that fourteens can/could be bought at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fourteen-TF-525-Forged-Iron-Set-2016/168633647

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

On 5/17/2019 at 5:23 PM, azstu324 said:

I'm probably gonna get some rolling eyes.. but you ever hear of Maltby?

the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get..

You will not get any rolling eyes from this boy on that. Maltby makes some quality forgings!!! If I did not have so much stuff I was going to build me a set of TE forged CBs. Then I got into KZG and did some cheap trade deals on 2 sets. Like I said I have too much stuff between those and all the classic blade irons I have. Right now I am back hitting my classic blade Macs. But yeah Maltby makes some good stuff I would recommend them to anyone

G

On 5/17/2019 at 10:12 PM, chemclub said:

I've heard only good things about either company, but I have to say that equipment forum denizens would likely lose their s--- over the fact that fourteens can/could be bought at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fourteen-TF-525-Forged-Iron-Set-2016/168633647

Did not believe it at first but you are correct even though either the clubs are 3 years old or the ad is. Any how it says 1 set and then "out of stock". 

G

Yeah, it was strange to see and may have just been a one-off or something? Maybe the Walmart web developer was trying to off-load his set of fourteen irons and dropped it in.

Many folks talk about Wilson moving into Walmart as a cheapening of the brand. I will state that my first two sets when I first started were from Canadian Tire (a reasonable approximation of Walmart before it arrived in Canada).

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB