Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

The 5 wood

Zylem

Just curious how many people here use/own a 5 wood?

I was playing with my mother in a charity tournament (she's 63 and can still break 80 regularly) over the weekend and I was complaining about the gap between my 3 wood and 4 hybrid. She suggested I get a 5 wood to fill in that gap when needed. Now I have a 2 hybrid I will swap in for my lob wedge on occasions but her comment got me thinking has the 5 wood gone the way of the dinosaur thanks to hotter lofted irons and hybrid technology? What are y'alls thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a lot of guys that play 5 woods instead of 3 hybrids. All comes down to personal preference. Some people can't hit fairway woods and some can't hit hybrids.

I was about to begin a 5 wood search but I finally fell in love with with a hybrid that I can actually hit controlled fades with and doesn't go left on me

I'm solidly in the 5 wood camp. Hit it much better than a 3 hybrid, and can work the ball with it if I need to (mostly!)

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I took my woods out of the bag - just wasn't successful or consistent hitting them. Put 3 hybrids in there 19, 22 and 26.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Couldn't hit my 5 wood so I replaced it with a hybrid.   Find that I don't really care about the gap between 3 wood and my 19* hybrid.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Driver, 3W, 5W, 4H, 5-P, GW, SW, LW for me

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I have been looking hard the last few days as my 3H turned on me (hard left of course) yet again. I had too much trouble elevating my 20* Srixon U45 off the turf as well and can't justify it as a tee shot only club. This has left me with an open spot in the bag again. I always thought 7 wood was the 3 hybrid replacement though? Are you guys seeing the same distance out of a 5 wood as your 3 hybrid?

I'm currently D, 3w, 4-P, 50,54,60, and putter.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I got a 5w with my Cleveland setup.  Due to the ridiculously long winter we've had and the foot and a half of snow we got this weekend I haven't had a chance to play it outdoors.  If it does what it did in the simulator though it may replace my 3w.  Or perhaps a long hybrid.  

I've got more options than I know what to do with at the top end of the bag this year so I'll need to spend a few rounds working out gaps before I settle down on what makes the bag.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I played a 5 wood for years, but as soon as I got my hands on the first TM Rescue, it came out of the bag, never to return.  I do have an old Callaway S2H2 7 wood that I put in the bag for grins every so often.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

I currently play a 2, 3 and 4 rescue mid hybrid setup but as I have tracked my yardage more and more I see the need for a 4 wood and am looking for that right now. I am thinking M1 3HL 17 degree. The 2 hybrid would come out of the bag once I find the 4 wood.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

I know a lot of guys that play 5 woods instead of 3 hybrids. All comes down to personal preference. Some people can't hit fairway woods and some can't hit hybrids.

I was about to begin a 5 wood search but I finally fell in love with with a hybrid that I can actually hit controlled fades with and doesn't go left on me

Exactly - will it work for you. It's often been a great club for me but only you can discover if it works for you. My 3 wood is an SLDR HL 3 cranked up so it's

A. Exactly what Dustin Johnson uses.

B. Goes the distance of his 6 iron

C. Is my only fairway wood

D. Is a 5 wood loft with a 3 wood shaft

E. Fits my gapping

F. Let's me carry the extra wedge that I need on the courses that I play to help me save par or on occasion set up birdie because I have a nice, even 12 yards between full swings from 65 to 105.

But that's me

How about you? Maybe your answer is combine two clubs at the top of your bag and use 4 wood plus the extra wedge or the courses you often play don't require a lofted wedge and you're better off with a 5 wood between 4 iron and 3 wood.

The 5 wood will be easier to hit high and soft than a 2 or 3 hybrid. But you may want the 2 hybrid for off the tee.

Sorry to be a pain but you have to carefully consider what's best for your game.

I once played 90 percent of my rounds on a course where I bagged two drivers, a tight lies (4 wood), 4 iron, 60 degree wedge. That meant keeping my 5 wood, the club that I hit best, in the closet most of the time.

But - I would hit the second driver 3 or 4 times and the tight lies once or twice - always. I may go a month without needing the 5 wood.

It gave me the chance to shoot the lowest scores.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I used to use a 5w because I struggled with 3w off the deck. I've now somewhat compromised and have a 16.5* wood in my bag. Gives me good distance and a little easier off the deck

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I used to use a 5w because I struggled with 3w off the deck. I've now somewhat compromised and have a 16.5* wood in my bag. Gives me good distance and a little easier off the deck

This sounds very familiar. I have a Heavenwood that's my off the deck club rather than my 3w. The Heavenwood replaced an X2Hot 5w that I used to just smash but it gapped way too close to my 4h so I went to the Heavenwood. Even easier off the deck and good for softer landings. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I also have a 5 wood. Fills the gap between my 3 wood and 21° 3 hybrid. As a bonus, I can generally hit it super straight too.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I carry a 5 wood. It's old school but I hit it about 240. My 2 hybrid goes 215. Think about how often you actually square up the 3 wood, too difficult to do, and I'm not hitting a green from that distance anyways.

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I carry a 5 wood that I'll be swapping out for a 2 iron depending on conditions. The 5 wood is nice and straight, sometimes a baby fade, but is a towering 240-250 shot. The 2 iron is a piercing 230. All depends on wind conditions for the round

Driver: :callaway-small:  Rogue 9*, -1" length
FW: :callaway-small:  Epic SZ 13.5*, 18* -.5" length

Utility: :titelist-small:  816 H2 21*
Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF 16, std. lenght/lie
Wedges: :mizuno-small:  T7 Blue Ion, 52*, 56*, 60*
Putter: :odyssey-small:  #7S
Ball: K-sig (until I run out)

RH golfer from Detroit, MI with a 14 handicap, working towards single digits

Just curious how many people here use/own a 5 wood?

I was playing with my mother in a charity tournament (she's 63 and can still break 80 regularly) over the weekend and I was complaining about the gap between my 3 wood and 4 hybrid. She suggested I get a 5 wood to fill in that gap when needed. Now I have a 2 hybrid I will swap in for my lob wedge on occasions but her comment got me thinking has the 5 wood gone the way of the dinosaur thanks to hotter lofted irons and hybrid technology? What are y'alls thoughts?

I've found that my hybrid does take the place of my 5 wood. My hybrid might be the most consistent club in my bag. I can use it off the tee or the fairway and feel extremely confident in it. I think the main thing is, whichever one you decide to carry, feel confident in that setup. 

Taylor Made BRNR mini driver

Callaway Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

Callaway Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

Sub 70 699 U 22*

Taylor Made M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

Ping Glide 4.0 Wedges 54* and 58*

Sub 70 005 Wide Blade putter

Thank you all for your input. Not pulling the trigger on anything yet. If I had to I would probably be leaning towards a 5 wood just because I am curious having not played one in quite some time. Although I am in love with my hybrids right now (Taylormade M1 2017) They do exactly what I want them to do and can do it every time. These are the clubs that actually converted me to team hybrid. So if I was to choose, I would have to demo the M1 2 hybrid versus a line up of 5 woods.

Maybe I'll take a trip over to the golf shop then do a write up for you all like I did for my iron fitting if you all are interested.

My original setup was D,3w,5w,3-pw,gw,sw but swapped out a few years ago to help my game to D,3w,2h,3h,4-pw,gw,sw (it didn't help my game but its more because I wasn't fitted for the hybrids and lost a lot of shots with them). For the Cobra Connect II challenge, I'm going back to D,3w, 5w,4-pw,gw,sw,lw (no 3 iron option for the F8).

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Looks like I am late to the party, but I am in the 5 wood camp.  I generally see identical total distance from my 5 wood and 3 hybrid (matching Covert 2.0 w/ stock Kuro Kage Black shafts).   But, I get longer carry and less roll out of my 5 wood than I do the hybrid.  Plus, I tend to hit fairway woods much more consistently than I do hybrids.  My typical course during the summer doesn't have a terrible amount of wind so I am not looking for the lower ball flight.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I carry a 5w but seldom use it. Used to hit my fairways wood nuts everytime, but currently really a struggling point in my bag. I carry a 18 degree hybrid at times on certain courses on certain holes.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

This sounds very familiar. I have a Heavenwood that's my off the deck club rather than my 3w. The Heavenwood replaced an X2Hot 5w that I used to just smash but it gapped way too close to my 4h so I went to the Heavenwood. Even easier off the deck and good for softer landings.

I tried the heavenwood but it was a skyrocket and didn't fit my gap need. 15* is about as low as I go on loft in my woods

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Lots of great info, thanks all!!! Guess I need to start doing some research and demos to see what I like. Actually been interested in trying out the Tour Exotics clubs. Got a chance to demo a hybrid and was very impressed, only reason I didn't purchase it was because it was not offered in the loft I wanted.

I started bagging a 5W .. an XR16 .. last season after on-and-off (mostly off...) relationships with a few different 3Hs.

I find, for me, the 5W flies higher and lands softer; ie. less rollout. (Don't know if that's generally true or not?)

I carry a 4H which is my general-purpose go-to utility club.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

The 5w is a vital club in my bag,but it does get swapped out for my driving iron when the course warrants. It is a guaranteed fairway finder as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Archived