The 5 wood

Zylem

Just curious how many people here use/own a 5 wood?

I was playing with my mother in a charity tournament (she's 63 and can still break 80 regularly) over the weekend and I was complaining about the gap between my 3 wood and 4 hybrid. She suggested I get a 5 wood to fill in that gap when needed. Now I have a 2 hybrid I will swap in for my lob wedge on occasions but her comment got me thinking has the 5 wood gone the way of the dinosaur thanks to hotter lofted irons and hybrid technology? What are y'alls thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I've found that my hybrid does take the place of my 5 wood. My hybrid might be the most consistent club in my bag. I can use it off the tee or the fairway and feel extremely confident in it. I think the main thing is, whichever one you decide to carry, feel confident in that setup. 

• Like 1

:cobra-small: F8 Driver - Project X Even Flow Blue

:callaway-small:  Rogue 3 wood - Aldila Synergy 

:callaway-small:  Rogue SZ 5 wood- Project X Even Flow Blue

:titelist-small:  818 H1 21* hybrid- Project X Even Flow Blue

:taylormade-small: M4 5-AW - KBS Max 

:cleveland-small: RTX3-CB 55*

:ping-small:  Sigma G B-60

:taylormade-small: TP5X balls

:travis-mathew-1:

Thank you all for your input. Not pulling the trigger on anything yet. If I had to I would probably be leaning towards a 5 wood just because I am curious having not played one in quite some time. Although I am in love with my hybrids right now (Taylormade M1 2017) They do exactly what I want them to do and can do it every time. These are the clubs that actually converted me to team hybrid. So if I was to choose, I would have to demo the M1 2 hybrid versus a line up of 5 woods.

Maybe I'll take a trip over to the golf shop then do a write up for you all like I did for my iron fitting if you all are interested.

• Like 1

My original setup was D,3w,5w,3-pw,gw,sw but swapped out a few years ago to help my game to D,3w,2h,3h,4-pw,gw,sw (it didn't help my game but its more because I wasn't fitted for the hybrids and lost a lot of shots with them). For the Cobra Connect II challenge, I'm going back to D,3w, 5w,4-pw,gw,sw,lw (no 3 iron option for the F8).

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1X

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing:  2021:titelist-small: T200's (https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/19-test-in-progress-titleist-t-series-irons/?do=findReview&review=38)

Looks like I am late to the party, but I am in the 5 wood camp.  I generally see identical total distance from my 5 wood and 3 hybrid (matching Covert 2.0 w/ stock Kuro Kage Black shafts).   But, I get longer carry and less roll out of my 5 wood than I do the hybrid.  Plus, I tend to hit fairway woods much more consistently than I do hybrids.  My typical course during the summer doesn't have a terrible amount of wind so I am not looking for the lower ball flight.

• Like 1

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

I carry a 5w but seldom use it. Used to hit my fairways wood nuts everytime, but currently really a struggling point in my bag. I carry a 18 degree hybrid at times on certain courses on certain holes.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

This sounds very familiar. I have a Heavenwood that's my off the deck club rather than my 3w. The Heavenwood replaced an X2Hot 5w that I used to just smash but it gapped way too close to my 4h so I went to the Heavenwood. Even easier off the deck and good for softer landings.

I tried the heavenwood but it was a skyrocket and didn't fit my gap need. 15* is about as low as I go on loft in my woods

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Lots of great info, thanks all!!! Guess I need to start doing some research and demos to see what I like. Actually been interested in trying out the Tour Exotics clubs. Got a chance to demo a hybrid and was very impressed, only reason I didn't purchase it was because it was not offered in the loft I wanted.

• Like 4

I started bagging a 5W .. an XR16 .. last season after on-and-off (mostly off...) relationships with a few different 3Hs.

I find, for me, the 5W flies higher and lands softer; ie. less rollout. (Don't know if that's generally true or not?)

I carry a 4H which is my general-purpose go-to utility club.

• Like 2

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Callaway Epic Speed 4W and Epic Max 7W (both Project X Cypher)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H and 5H (both Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX-2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
...Edel EAS 4.0 (stock shaft, zero offset hosel, round grip)
..all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

The 5w is a vital club in my bag,but it does get swapped out for my driving iron when the course warrants. It is a guaranteed fairway finder as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1
         Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Lots of great info, thanks all!!! Guess I need to start doing some research and demos to see what I like. Actually been interested in trying out the Tour Exotics clubs. Got a chance to demo a hybrid and was very impressed, only reason I didn't purchase it was because it was not offered in the loft I wanted.

Definitely demo, test, re-rest and demo some more! In addition to going into a store, seems more companies and online retailers are offering cheap try-before-you-buy programs.

See what works for you, and fills the gap you need.

I started bagging a 5W .. an XR16 .. last season after on-and-off (mostly off...) relationships with a few different 3Hs.

I find, for me, the 5W flies higher and lands softer; ie. less rollout. (Don't know if that's generally true or not?)

I carry a 4H which is my general-purpose go-to utility club.

How do you like the Xr16? I found the right driver wondering if it's just smarter to go same TM as my driver in a 4 wood or 3HL as it were. My swing seems to agree with a 70 gram shaft.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Definitely demo, test, re-rest and demo some more! In addition to going into a store, seems more companies and online retailers are offering cheap try-before-you-buy programs.

See what works for you, and fills the gap you need.

I think to start I am going to use my club's trackman on the range and check all the gaps in my clubs first. The gap maybe smaller in reality than it is in my mind.

• Like 2

How do you like the Xr16? I found the right driver wondering if it's just smarter to go same TM as my driver in a 4 wood or 3HL as it were. My swing seems to agree with a 70 gram shaft.

Liking it a lot! Getting more and more comfortable with it as my swing evolves and improves, so am hitting it more often from more lies.

Of course, this particular one is not going to be good for everyone.

Also .. and probably good for a separate thread .. is the pros vs cons of "staying in the family" with the woods (or hybrids, too, I guess). My opinion is each club is a tool and you should use the best tool for the job at hand.......

• Like 2

Liking it a lot! Getting more and more comfortable with it as my swing evolves and improves, so am hitting it more often from more lies.

Of course, this particular one is not going to be good for everyone.

Also .. and probably good for a separate thread .. is the pros vs cons of "staying in the family" with the woods (or hybrids, too, I guess). My opinion is each club is a tool and you should use the best tool for the job at hand.......

That could be an interesting debate. I tend to stay in the family so to say because if I have confidence in one club than I usually have the same level of confidence in the other. If that makes sense.

But Taylormade isn't paying me anything so if I found another club that I hit better / felt better it would go in the bag.

• Like 1

I own a 5 wood and a hybrid that's currently set to 18.5 loft. I can hit both pretty well. I keep playing with the idea of switching back to 5 wood but I haven't missed with my hybrid lately.

RBZ 5 wood

Cobra FlyZ Hybrid

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 18.5

Titleist 816 H1 23

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

I've carried a 5 wood for years because it's so easy to hit but I'm re-evaluating my whole bag this year and bought a 3 hybrid to swap it out with.  Carried two drivers last year and left out the three wood because I haven't been hitting it off the deck very well but I worked on it over the winter and it's going back in the bag, hopefully to make a couple of those par 5's reachable :rolleyes:

• Like 2

This thread really got me thinking. I went in to local golf shop today to look at some hybrids and fairway woods. My bag at that time consisted of TM M1 2017 driver which I just got fit for, TM Rescue Mid 2 iron, 3 iron, and 4 iron. The 2 iron had the stock stiff TM shaft, the 3 and 4 have Aldilla NV 85 Stiff shafts. The results were about 225 to 232 with 2 iron hybrid, 205 to 208 with the 3 iron hybrid and 204 to 208 with 4 iron hybrid. Pretty crazy right. Also figured out the shaft was way too heavy for me which led to a shot missed to the right more often than not. Replaced the 2 iron with a Callaway XR16 5 wood with Project X stiff shaft pushed the distance out to  230 to 242 and a M2 hybrid 3 iron with stock stiff shaft Fujikua Pro distance 208 to 218. Really amazing stuff and I couldn't hit the 3 wood consistently at all thats why I went with the 5 wood. Haven't had a fairway wood in the bag for quite some time. This new setup optimized my bag and gave me not only more distance but much tighter dispersion overall. Best of all got both used in great shape around $200 for them together. Bad thing is didn't get a head cover for the 5 wood so I will be looking for one. I also bought the top rated Puma spineless shoes from the most recent most wanted spikeless shoes review on MGS. Wow they are awesome much better than my footboys from last year. I am concerned though that I will have a pretty big gap between my I200 5 iron and the M2 3 hybrid but we will address that at a later date.

• Like 5

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

This thread really got me thinking. I went in to local golf shop today to look at some hybrids and fairway woods. My bag at that time consisted of TM M1 2017 driver which I just got fit for, TM Rescue Mid 2 iron, 3 iron, and 4 iron. The 2 iron had the stock stiff TM shaft, the 3 and 4 have Aldilla NV 85 Stiff shafts. The results were about 225 to 232 with 2 iron hybrid, 205 to 208 with the 3 iron hybrid and 204 to 208 with 4 iron hybrid. Pretty crazy right. Also figured out the shaft was way too heavy for me which led to a shot missed to the right more often than not. Replaced the 2 iron with a Callaway XR16 5 wood with Project X stiff shaft pushed the distance out to 230 to 242 and a M2 hybrid 3 iron with stock stiff shaft Fujikua Pro distance 208 to 218. Really amazing stuff and I couldn't hit the 3 wood consistently at all thats why I went with the 5 wood. Haven't had a fairway wood in the bag for quite some time. This new setup optimized my bag and gave me not only more distance but much tighter dispersion overall. Best of all got both used in great shape around $200 for them together. Bad thing is didn't get a head cover for the 5 wood so I will be looking for one. I also bought the top rated Puma spineless shoes from the most recent most wanted spikeless shoes review on MGS. Wow they are awesome much better than my footboys from last year. I am concerned though that I will have a pretty big gap between my I200 5 iron and the M2 3 hybrid but we will address that at a later date.

Awesome, glad all this info helped you out. I really think all the new hybrid and fairway wood tech that's come out in the past few years can help us amateurs more if we just give it an honest shot.

• Like 1

Awesome, glad all this info helped you out. I really think all the new hybrid and fairway wood tech that's come out in the past few years can help us amateurs more if we just give it an honest shot.

I couldn't agree more I was getting better distance but the forgiveness between 2002 and 2016 is night and day I really love this forum

• Like 1

Bryson DeChambeau