Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Carnoustie - Home to the OPEN 2018 (pic heavy)

I was fortunate to get an invite to Carnoustie, or Carnastie as it's been called, this weekend and accepted even though the forecast was 10*c (50F) and raining. Typical Scottish weather and forecasts but the actual day turned out to be 13*c (55F) and sunny. There's a  saying in Scotland, "if you don't like the weather wait 10 minutes".

It was a slightly breezy day, about a 1 club wind, but that was enough to stop me reaching 2 of the par 4's in two, and I was hitting the ball well especially with woods.

The infamous par 3 16th at 240yds took a full blooded driver to get about a third up the green, two putts saw a par 3 and better than Tom Watson did over 4 days during the Open there! This is also the hole Nicklaus asked to be remeasured as he said there isnt a par 3 on Earth he couldn't reach with his driver...except this one! There was a stronger wind the day he played.

The greens were fantastic for mid April, probably running 10 or 11 on the stimp and very true. Rough was thin and sparce as you would expect with no growth, but the burns (streams) were everywhere (or so it felt like it) and were wide (about twice as wide as the swilken burn at the Old course). I put a few in them especially at 18 where I tried to get on in two and the burn just gobbled up a beautifully struck 4 wood - cost me a 7 there and easily done.

I've attached a few pictures which doesn't do it justice but might give you a slight flavour of the course.  My opinion, for what it's worth, is it's a course that suits a fader of the ball, lots of left to right doglegs and trouble on the right half of straight holes with plenty of room on the left.

Theres a new clubhouse being built beside the 1st tee- nice at one end but looks cobbled together with large viewing windows halfway back that look directly into the wall of the front half of the building- strange, but maybe ok inside.

Anyway, enjoy the few pics I took and any questions just ask.

1st Tee and stands just starting to be built

IMG_4986.JPG

View up the 1st

IMG_4987.JPG

The new clubhouse at the 1st 

IMG_4988.JPG

The burns (streams) Bah! (cant get this pic to load the right way up)

IMG_4989.JPG

Suits a fader (short-ish par4) (pics are right way up on pc, weird)

IMG_4991.JPG

Nice approach to guarded par 4 with halfway house in background.

IMG_4992.JPG

Same hole, just closer

IMG_4993.JPG

The long par 3 16th - 240yds (felt like 280 in the breeze)

IMG_4997.JPG

The 18th

18th edit.jpg

also 18th- OOB all the way up the left and you have to cross the wide burn twice!

IMG_4999.JPG

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I played there last August on an uncharacteristic nice day for Scotland.  I played very well (for me) and shot a 93.  two of my partners were not so fortunate, they hit most, if not all, of the fairway bunkers which is automatic wedge out sideways.  It will be interesting how the pros handle those fairway bunkers. 

It's a difficult layout with all those bunkers and historic with Hogan's alley and the other famous holes.  My tee shot was a yard OB on Hogan's alley (par 5,) the second tee shot was in by a few yards, followed by a short approach and two putts, I saved bogie.  One of my partners made birdie by playing way right off the tee.  The guys in the Open this summer will probably hit irons off that tee. 

It was a fun course to me, to the guys that struggled, it was their least favorite.  It was one of the least scenic courses we saw but the history and the challenge make it worthwhile to include in a Scotland trip. 

In the bag:

Driver:  Ping G 400 Max

Fairway: Ping G 400, 7 w

Hybrids: Ping G 25,  4

Irons:  Taylormade P 790, 4 through P

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM 7,  54  and 58

Putter:  Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7

I was lucky enough to play the Championship Course in 2010 and will agree it's a seriously tough test of golf. When our tee time finally rolled around, the course was totally socked in. They had also inexplicably lost our caddie reservation. The looper snafu wouldn't have been a huge deal but we couldn't even make out the fairway on the first, much less the bottomless bunkers lurking everywhere. This continued for 4 holes of golf I'd rather not relive. The fog finally relented and we ended up enjoying the last 14 much more.

I think my favorite piece of history was the plaque on the Par 5, sixth; detailing Hogan's ‘53 Open Championship strategy of fading driver down the narrow ribbon of fairway between the imposing left hand OB and bunkers stretching across the majority of the fairway. I decided to take on Hogan's alley and made birdie.

The other decision that really made an impression on me was the tee shot you face on #17. Standing on the tee with a tail wind, it seems like the twisting Barry Burn will gobble up balls hit on any line. I also found it difficult to put the “van de Veld nightmare” out of mind playing the penal 18th.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Nice. I can't wait to see what mother nature has in store for the guys this year.

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your experience. I dream of a Scotland golf vacation someday. Looks wonderful!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I was fortunate to get an invite to Carnoustie, or Carnastie as it's been called, this weekend and accepted even though the forecast was 10*c (50F) and raining. Typical Scottish weather and forecasts but the actual day turned out to be 13*c (55F) and sunny. There's a  saying in Scotland, "if you don't like the weather wait 10 minutes".

That's awesome you had the chance to play the course whilst the grandstands were being constructed. Very unique way of enjoying the course. I had a good mate, describe his round at Carnoustie to me in great detail recently and it sounds like an amazing test of golf. I've enjoyed watching the two previous Opens there and no doubt this year's will be a great one to watch as well. I'm thinking Fowler or Garcia will grab it....at least I hope so! Thanks for sharing the pics too, so great!

Wonderful to look at those pictures.  Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Sounds like an awesome round! Love the photos.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Great pictures!  Carnoustie looks even better than I imagined.  One of these decades a Scotland trip will happen!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Awesome pictures. That's a bucket list course for me to be sure.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing! Really need to scratch this one off the bucket list!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

We had the wonderful experience of playing in a steady rain the Thursday of Open week 2010. I don't remember the fairways being as open as they appear in your great photos. I remember gorse, nasty bunkers and small slick greens. And yes, I lost a shot it the burn that runs across 18. Fun all the same.

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

couple more from my phone - sorry cant get the first to rotate on here- fine on pc but turns on upload

This is a lovely- and tricky 160yd par 3 

IMG_4996.JPG

IMG_4995.JPG

IMG_4994.JPG

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

• 3 weeks later...

Good to read about others' experiences. I played Carnoustie in August 1971 and it was easy to get on to the course which at the time, like St Andrews, was a public course with a 5 pound green fee.

In spite of the "summer" it was very cold and I wore two light jerseys (sweaters) to keep warm. The locals though were made of far sterner stuff  and played golf in normal golf shirts and even sweated a bit because of the "heat"!

It was a sunny day with little breeze and I managed to hit a great shot on 16 with my old McGregor keyhole driver and also managed a 3. The rest of the round left something to be desired and in spite of my then 3 handicap I was comfortably over 80.

'Til then it was easily the toughest course I'd played. I'd have loved to try again but having to get to London to work scuppered that.

• 4 weeks later...

Good stuff- I've always loved the way they built and incorporated the burns at Carnoustie.  Thanks for sharing!

Rogue SZ 9.5, Yellow Tour 6.5, 44.25"

Rogue SZ 5w, T1100 6.5, 43"

PXG XF 3i, X100, +0.75"

Steelhead XR Pro 4-P, X100, +0.75"

Mizzy T7 50, 56, 60, X100 +0.75"

Evnroll ER2, 34"

Archived