TESTERS WANTED! ×

TXG Wedge Fitting

Had a wedge fitting this afternoon at TXG.

A little background first.  Six years ago I had a freak accident which caused me to lose 40% of my balance in my left ear.  Results are similar to vertigo but it is constant and will always be with me.  To counteract this I must practice specific movements to train my brain to adjust similar to how our brain automatically adjusts our vision when each eye is not exact.  When I started to play golf again after 2 years I had my irons retrofitted to True Length Technology specs which is a cross between a standard set and single length.  This puts me in the same set up position for each shot through out my bag which allows me to have a constant swing from my driver to a wedge.  I had also hit my golf instructor's Ping Glide 2.0 gap and sand wedge last Thursday and they were much more consistent with a better feel than my current Scor wedges.

On to the fitting with Cam.  I never take full shots with my wedges and my most consistent pitch is with a half swing.  Cam had me hit this shot with my gap wedge to see the spin numbers.  The plan was to try some different wedges, bounces and sole grinds.

This was where things went wrong for me.  It turns out my gap wedge is 1" long and 3 degrees upright (all my wedges are the same length).  All of TXG's wedges are standard length which caused me to lean over more, crouch or a combination of both.  I hadn't given this any thought as I did not pay attention to the specs on my current wedges and assumed the Pings I hit last week were standard (turns out they were not).  The shorter clubs caused me to become more dizzy and within 12 shots I was cooked.  After that I could feel myself swaying on my back swing.  Shots with the shorter wedges were terrible.  Tried a few more with my gap wedge which were better than the others and called it a day.

I asked Cam to order me a Ping 50 degree wedge made to the same specs as my club with 12 degrees of bounce (same club as I tried last week).  My thought was I would come back in when the club arrived, adjust as necessary and then work out the rest of the set.

Cam let Ian know how we were going to proceed and Ian offered to have Mike build a couple of clubs to my current specs for me to try.  I have a putter fitting next week and will try the wedges then.  Ian's offer was beyond what I expected and I really appreciated this.  A good example of TXG going the extra step for a customer.

As far as fitting the rest of the bag there should not be any problems since TXG has a wide assortment of shafts in different lengths.  

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

Maybe give your instructor a call and ask what exactly his wedge specs were and have them order one similar.

It's hard to know if it's the grind of the Pings were what made you hit them more consistent than your Scors, but odds are your instructors wedge specs are not the same 1” over 3* up as your wedges and that has more to do with it. I'd give him a call.

Nice to hear you are working through your injury. Keep it up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Maybe give your instructor a call and ask what exactly his wedge specs were and have them order one similar.

It's hard to know if it's the grind of the Pings were what made you hit them more consistent than your Scors, but odds are your instructors wedge specs are not the same 1” over 3* up as your wedges and that has more to do with it. I'd give him a call.

Nice to hear you are working through your injury. Keep it up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The sand wedge was slightly shorter but the gap wedge was very close to the same length and a bit upright.  My set up position is critical for me so I need to be aware of it.  The ping 50 degree is only available in one bounce and grind so this was not the difference.  Thanks for the suggestion, I am having a lesson tomorrow and will discuss with him as well.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

http://pinggolf-blob.ping.com/pinggolf/uploadedfiles/clubs/customize/ping_custom_options.pdf

You can have ping grind the wedge a specific way if your fitting shows you need a certain grind

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

That TXG is really a class act!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

That TXG is really a class act!

They are amazing. Really looking forward to my visit.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Archived