TESTERS WANTED! ×

Pass me along just ONE tip that helped you improve your putting game.

I used to be a better putter...ive practiced...googled putting tips..watched youtube..etc.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Ive always been a better than average putter. We all have our bad days with the flat stick but I have been able to be a pretty consistent putter over my golfing career and it starts with my grip.

I learned as a kid to extend both index fingers down each side of the grip/shaft when taking my putting grip and hold with a light pressure. This keeps the putter stable and allows the hands to swing together like a pendulum without one over-powering the other.

It works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Video your stroke in slow motion.After making some very minor path and face adjustments .Was able to have almost a whole season where I made everything inside 15 feet.Many were just amazed at my immediate improvement with the flat stick

I started looking at the hole while putting and improved a great deal. Converted a few friends along the way too.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Don't blindly follow the conventional advice for how to putt like your eyes have to be over the ball.  Understand how the decisions you make  impact the putting stroke. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Ive always been a better than average putter. We all have our bad days with the flat stick but I have been able to be a pretty consistent putter over my golfing career and it starts with my grip.

I learned as a kid to extend both index fingers down each side of the grip/shaft when taking my putting grip and hold with a light pressure. This keeps the putter stable and allows the hands to swing together like a pendulum without one over-powering the other.

It works for me.

That's exactly how I hold mine. I've never met anyone else who does this, and I can't remember where or how I picked it up. It usually works for me, too.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

I've never met anyone else who does this, and I can't remember where or how I picked it up.

Sent from my XT1585 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Me either!

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I overheard a guy bragging about how hs buddy gets away with looking at just the cup and how it works for him.  I tried it years ago and i was feast or famine.  

On the two index fingers.  Ive seen it used,. Do you change the grip for long putts?

Part of this is because since I got back in to golf in the last year or two after I long absence, my body and stance has changed because my back don't really allow me the Nicklaus style putting I used to do with interlocking grip.  I can do it on the course, but no way in hell will my back hold up for practice sessions.  I've gone upright with a longer putter and have not been comfortable since back in the game.  

I did put on a Winn oversize grip a few weeks and that has shaved a couple strokes off the game when looking at my stats.  Was 32-34 for 18. SInce Ive added the new grip its been 29-32.  Shot 76 today but missed probably 3-4 putts inside of 12 feet for birdies.  Used to make a couple of those.  

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Wedgie so explain to me you have a 10ft putt.. you line up your shot and right before you take the club back your staring at the hole? You don't even watch the ball?

I look at the putt like anyone else does. Pick a line, address the ball while looking at ball then once I look at the hole I never look down again. If I feel I need to adjust my aim my hands do it naturally without looking at the ball again.

What I have found is it helps me follow thru towards the hole or my line. If I have really long putts with a lot of break I look at the ball. Otherwise always at the back of the cup. Prior to this I'd 2 putt everything for the most part. It hasn't been a magic pill by any means but now I hit a ton more longer putts.

If you have any interest in trying it I suggest looking at the hole on 5 footers and closer. Not for everyone but I think it is worth everyone trying it on the practice green.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I look at the putt like anyone else does. Pick a line, address the ball while looking at ball then once I look at the hole I never look down again. If I feel I need to adjust my aim my hands do it naturally without looking at the ball again.

What I have found is it helps me follow thru towards the hole or my line. If I have really long putts with a lot of break I look at the ball. Otherwise always at the back of the cup. Prior to this I'd 2 putt everything for the most part. It hasn't been a magic pill by any means but now I hit a ton more longer putts.

If you have any interest in trying it I suggest looking at the hole on 5 footers and closer. Not for everyone but I think it is worth everyone trying it on the practice green.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

I have been looking at the hole for 5 years.  I do it on all putts.  Of course, if a putt has a lot of break, I look at the spot I want to aim at instead of the hole.  I have to align the ball with the line I see on the green, then line the putter up to the line on the ball.  Once I have the putter on the line on the intended putt, I trust my swing and focus on the speed of the putt.  It's like tossing horseshoes.

I started doing this because I would not trust my read and move my head to look where the ball was going too quickly; couldn't keep my head down.  So, looking at the hole... my head's not moving!  I have must better speed control, because I'm looking at the distance I need to cover rather than remembering that distance while looking at the ball.  It works for me.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Pass me along just ONE tip that helped you improve your putting game.

I used to be a better putter...ive practiced...googled putting tips..watched youtube..etc.

Just 1 lol?

Ok when I putt my best I notice that I don't actually see the putter head or where it's aiming. I take two practice strokes looking at my target, step in looking at the ball (not the putter), look back at my target, back to the ball and go. My thought on these is to "see white". If I only see the white on the ball then I'm not bound up by looking at the putter and where it's aiming.

When I putt my worst it's more like aim, aim,aim ,aim, aim, oh to hell with it just go.

The more I aim the worse I putt. The more I trust that my aim is about as good as I'm capable of the better I do.

I re-learn this lesson a few hundred Xs a season. Often in mid round.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I've heard that, technically, for Dave's book to do you any good that you need the books on tape version and then play it when you're sleeping.

Not sure if this was meant as a joke or not, but it's definitely not the case.

For anyone struggling with putting, I recommend this book.  If the book doesn't help, go see a PGA professional.

Don't blindly follow the conventional advice for how to putt like your eyes have to be over the ball.  Understand how the decisions you make  impact the putting stroke. 

Totally on board with this. I use a drill in my pre-round warmup to help make sure I'm in a setup where I can see straight as straight so I start more putts on line and make more birdies! 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Since 'help me putt better' is a bit vague, I'll offer a couple of drills I like to use to fine tune line and speed.

If you are missing more because you are pushing/pulling the putt off line: Find a flat 3 foot putt on the practice green. Make a gate with two tees just wider than your putter-head. Then hit putts into the hole without contacting either tee. Don't move on to the next drill til you make 10 in a row. 

Side story on that one: I was using this drill to warm up prior to a scramble, and an older gent walking by asked me if it helped, and I said yes. He then asked if could do that on the course, and when I said 'no', he said 'well it doesn't help then'. I made at least 4 putts in that round that were 8 feet or longer. And then saw Tiger doing a variation of the same drill in his warmup at the Valspar (he starts with just his right hand, then goes to both hands)

If you are missing more because of speed: Line up three balls at 3, 6, and 9 feet from the hole. Start with the shortest and work back to longest. Do that from 4 sides of the same hole. 

Another speed/feel drill I like to call the 4 ball game (I play with my son at the putting green) Choose a hole that is 25 to 30 feet away. Putt your first ball to 1/2 way to the hole. The second ball's  target is 1/2  way between the first ball and the hole. The third ball's target is 1/2 way between the 2nd and the hole. The fourth ball is your scoring ball. 1 point for inside the 3rd ball and short of the hole, 2 points for inside the third but past the hole, and 3 points for in the hole.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

I'm interested I'm going to have to try this on the practice green.

I will tell you that it is scary at first.  Do it with only short putts first.  I started with putts where I could see the hole out of the corner of my eye when looking at the ball.  When I went beyond that length, there was pressure on my stroke.  It is not something to try for 30 minutes.  It does take a commitment.  I was desperate to make a change and stuck with it.  Now, going back to looking at the ball feels weird, and when I do, I decelerate!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've seen numerous suggestions of Dave Stockton's book but for me it was Dave Pels' "Putt Like The Pros".  I was an awful putter for the first 10 or so years I played the game.  Reading Pel's book changed my entire outlook on putting and I now feel like it is an asset of my game. For me personally, any technique that consistently gets your ball on the desired line is valid - there's no one best method.  After that, it's all mindset...always try to miss putts on the high side, 2 feet long is better than an inch short, etc.

Sean K.

Driver: :callaway-small: Great Big Bertha, 10.5o, -1"
Wood: :srixon-small: Z-F85, 3W, 15o
Hybrids: :titelist-small: 818 H1, 19o
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Hot Metal 4-GW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2.0 55o, 60o
Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Tour Impact No. 3
Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star

2017 Vice Pro Forum Review
2019 Tommy Armour Tour Impact No.3 Forum Review

I've seen numerous suggestions of Dave Stockton's book but for me it was Dave Pels' "Putt Like The Pros".  I was an awful putter for the first 10 or so years I played the game.  Reading Pel's book changed my entire outlook on putting and I now feel like it is an asset of my game. For me personally, any technique that consistently gets your ball on the desired line is valid - there's no one best method.  After that, it's all mindset...always try to miss putts on the high side, 2 feet long is better than an inch short, etc.

Exactly!!  Except for me, when I get to a longish putt with some break, I don't always try to miss on the high side.  If I don't feel like I have a reasonable chance of making a putt, I want to leave the ball where I have the best chance of making the next putt, which is below the hole.

Speed is off at times but one day rain, the next sunny, then aeration...Mostly missing right and worked on aligment a bit which helped. Since time is limited tomorrow, I will work on a few tips offered up.

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Speed is off at times but one day rain, the next sunny, then aeration...Mostly missing right and worked on aligment a bit which helped. Since time is limited tomorrow, I will work on a few tips offered up.

The line is important, but speed is the key.  The more speed drills you do, the better you get.  It's something you always have to work on or you lose the feel.  Good luck!!

Looking at the hole when putting. It's a drill but I went several years where I did it on all putts outside of 5 feet. (Way before Spieth was around)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I found Jordan Spieths style of a slight forward press has mad longer putts feel more instinctive as part of a fluid process, rather than a static start that usually has me cutting across the target line.

Try it, and the other excellent tips suggested above as putting is as personal and unique as handwriting and you have to find what gives you the greatest confidence, as thats the major influencer of a good putter I believe.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

• 2 weeks later...

I determine if the hole is above/below the ball and make a judgement as how far to want my putt go to an imaginary hole that's either short or long of the actual cup depending on slope.

Then I just putt on my line to that imaginary cup as if the putt were flat.

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

Two things that have helped me.

1) back of the left hand (RH player) always moves toward the target

2) putter head releases.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Two things that have helped me.

1) back of the left hand (RH player) always moves toward the target

2) putter head releases.

Dumb question and don't want to mess up you thoughts, but if you release the putter head the left hand has to start turning left and in the arc of a stroke the hand starts moving left of target? How are you doing both of these, or is it really a feel thing? I have ideas based on what I learned about the putting stroke but want to understand your thoughts.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Dumb question and don't want to mess up you thoughts, but if you release the putter head the left hand has to start turning left and in the arc of a stroke the hand starts moving left of target? How are you doing both of these, or is it really a feel thing? I have ideas based on what I learned about the putting stroke but want to understand your thoughts.

It wont mess me at all. I've never been very technical and really prefer visualizing and feeling through the swing.

Release is just the idea of the head traveling through the path. I see how it sounds goofy but remember that the natural arc of the swing begins to rotate well after contact is made. I just say release because it gets me to finish the stroke.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Archived