TESTERS WANTED! ×

Please help with my iron selection

Hello All,

I have just been fitted for irons. I received specs only, because there's no way I can afford neely released equipment.

The irons that are appropriate for me are GI:

I was swinging a callaway rogue iron set at the fitting. I did enjoy hitting that club!

Fitter says That the rogue, taylormade m3, titleist ap3 would definitely be a good choices for me.

I also would need regular shaft stiffness as my club speed averaged 80mph with a 7 iron.

He suggested my shaft be the true temper xp 115 with mid size grips...

So, in lieu of all of that, i am trying to find older models of callaway, titleist, and taylormade clubs that would fit these specs.

I did find a set of titleist ap1 with the true temper xp115 that i am bidding on.

What, in your opinion, are clubs and shafts that meet the above criteria? Titleist ap1? Taylormade rsi1? Taylormade m1? Callaway x? .....?????

What shafts are like that of true temper xp 115????

I really appreciate you helping me find the right irons that I can fit into at a preowned price: about $300.00

Hello All,

I have just been fitted for irons. I received specs only, because there's no way I can afford neely released equipment.

The irons that are appropriate for me are GI:

I was swinging a callaway rogue iron set at the fitting. I did enjoy hitting that club!

Fitter says That the rogue, taylormade m3, titleist ap3 would definitely be a good choices for me.

I also would need regular shaft stiffness as my club speed averaged 80mph with a 7 iron.

He suggested my shaft be the true temper xp 115 with mid size grips...

So, in lieu of all of that, i am trying to find older models of callaway, titleist, and taylormade clubs that would fit these specs.

I did find a set of titleist ap1 with the true temper xp115 that i am bidding on.

What, in your opinion, are clubs and shafts that meet the above criteria? Titleist ap1? Taylormade rsi1? Taylormade m1? Callaway x? .....?????

What shafts are like that of true temper xp 115????

I really appreciate you helping me find the right irons that I can fit into at a preowned price: about $300.00

First question, Do you have trouble getting the ball up in the air or is that no an issue for you? 

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

That is not an issue

Perfect. You should be able to handle stronger stock lofts then. In terms of those brands, all of those would be good and I would add the Callaway Apex CF, XR and Taylormade Speedblades to the list. I would also consider the Ping G irons and the Cobra F7 irons. Both are a generation old and were good performers in last year's Most Wanted Testing. Not as knowledgeable on shafts as I should be but if 115grams is what gave you the best feeling then I would narrow to shafts in that range. Also the 115XP is classified as a Mid launch/Mid spin shaft. So shafts like the Project X LZ, Nippon N.S. Pro 1150GH Tour, KBS Tour V & $ Taper might be good fits.

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

That is exactly the info I was hoping for. Thanks guys.

However, if I end up winning those TM ap1 with the xp 115 shaft, am I hitting the mark correctly?

You will probably want to double check all the of specs once you get them to make sure everything is good to go. Lie and Loft changes are usually pretty cheap. If you need to shorter or extend that will cost a touch more but its still important to check. If your fitter does Retrofitting sessions I might just suggest that to make sure they are as dialed in as possible.

️Scout" data-cite="Madison️Scout" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1524152370">

That is exactly the info I was hoping for. Thanks guys.

However, if I end up winning those TM ap1 with the xp 115 shaft, am I hitting the mark correctly?

Titleist ap1 or TaylorMade rsi1? Either way, you're good

I actually use the Taylormade Speedblades for the same reason. Wanted GI irons that weren't too expensive and I love these irons.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

1)Taylormade Speedblade regular flex irons

2) Cobra Amp Cell  11.5 regular flex Driver

3)Right Handed

4) PA

5) 18 Handicap (but aiming for 15 by end of summer)

Mizuno JPX 800, 825, 850 series. Callaway Xhot, X2hot, or XR would fit. Ping, any of the ping, I series, G series, K series. Titelist AP1, any year Model. There's many out there, see if you can go to a big box store to see if they have any used sets. golf Galaxy, PGASS. Something like that.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I found a set of Adams CB3s at my local GG in really good shape for under $200. Took everything I had not to leave with them. There's a review on the blog- check them out...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I play with AP1 714s and am very happy with them.  I don't think you can get them for $300.  If you can, grab them.

Mizuno JPX 825 or 850 can probably be had for less than $300.

:ping-small:G410 plus driver,:taylormade-small:Aeroburner 3W, :cobra-small:F6 Baffler 
:callaway-small:XR 4, 5 hybrids
:titleist-small:2021 T300 6 - GW, SW irons
:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 58/12 wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

Alternates: Srixon ZX4 MKII irons

Ended up with ap2 712's... they're like new and hit very sweetly.

Excellent choice. Enjoy your new (to you) clubs!

PS - is your screen name an allusion to the drum corps of the same name?

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

️Scout" data-cite="Madison️Scout" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1525008810">

Ended up with ap2 712's... they're like new and hit very sweetly.

That's a great set of irons and will last you many rounds. Congratulations!!!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes Russ!

I marched corps from ‘88-‘91

Great years man!

That's awesome! A guy I marched with in high school was with Scouts briefly, probably either '92 or '93 until a family emergency forced him to come home. I believe he ended up with Crusaders until he aged out. We're a big drum corps/marching band/indoor percussion family here. Probably why my handicap is as high as it is from so many weekends away at comps.

Sorry for derailing the thread!

Nah.... all good.

Got my irons...so not much more to the thread now.

Crusaders are great.

I'm a band director now. Good times!

I love hearing stuff like this. I'm on the board of our school district's music association, and I just got back from WGI World Championships in Ohio, where our kids placed second in the Percussion Scholastic World division. 

I never got to march corps unfortunately, I picked a fight with a wall a few weeks before Crusaders auditions. The wall won :( I love supporting our students who do get to march, this summer we'll have kids and techs marching with 7th Regiment, Spartans, Cadets, and Crown. We already have tickets to two shows to go see them as well. 

Archived