TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is All This Golf Tech Good For US?

deejaid

I was just reading through the Cobra Connect Challenge thread and I got to wondering. Is all this technology good for us?

Now I agree that perimeter weighting, oversized drivers, and other equipment technology has made the game easier and more enjoyable for the average golfer. But I'm talking about this new era of the “wired” golfer, where clubs are now connected to mobile devices. Is this a positive or a negative?

I personally look at golf as a way to escape the everyday world, to unplug for a few hours, to stop looking at screens or hearing the “ding” of a notification.

Reading through the Connect Challenge thread I'm seeing posts about software glitches, software updates, battery life and many other problems that our common in our everyday lives, only now it's invading our golf clubs.

How do you guys feel about “wired” golf? Has technology gone too far that we can no longer enjoy a round of golf without data tracking every shot we take?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

What an interesting question! I hadn't thought of that. Golf is an escape for many.

I suppose it depends upon the person as to whether or not it's good, bad or neutral.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Interesting thought. I think it comes down to what you want to accomplish as a golfer. Do you just want to go out, enjoy being outside and enjoy the game. Or do you want to work on seriously improving your game.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

As someone who is trying to get as good as I can while also coaching others, I liked having the ability to be wired when I want. I like to think of it just as a tool. I don't always need the tool but there are times where the tool will help me out more than not having it at all.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

When I was first chosen for the Cobra Connect Challenge II, I was stoked and with a trip to Pinehurst coming up, was hoping I would get the Arccos sensors before then.  Well they didn't get there until after the trip and boy was that a blessing!  I was able to focus on my game, the beauty of the course, and fun with my close golfing buddies.  Played Talamore with nothing more than my Precision Pro NX7 Pro range finder and my clubs.  Walked Dormie with a caddie and just soaked the beauty of the course, the exhilaration of just focusing on my game and enjoying a good walk unspoiled. Played mid-south and Tobacco Road and just focused on the moment.  I guarantee you that if I had the Arccos 360 system with me, none of this would of happened.  I would of focused on getting the Arccos up and running and getting the data points for the review instead of what actually transpired.  I even told Joyzee10 when he went to Arizona and was also waiting for the Arccos 360 sensors, to not worry about it and focus on having fun out there and enjoying the game, the sensors will be waiting when he got back.

So are we overconnected with these sensors and phones etc ?  Yes,  But, there is a time and place to use them.  They are a training aid so for those of us that need to figure out our weaknesses and build upon our strengths, the Arccos system is fantastic.  Just like in every other facet of life, we all need to unplug at times and get away from emails, phone calls, etc...

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

When I was first chosen for the Cobra Connect Challenge II, I was stoked and with a trip to Pinehurst coming up, was hoping I would get the Arccos sensors before then.  Well they didn't get there until after the trip and boy was that a blessing!  I was able to focus on my game, the beauty of the course, and fun with my close golfing buddies.  Played Talamore with nothing more than my Precision Pro NX7 Pro range finder and my clubs.  Walked Dormie with a caddie and just soaked the beauty of the course, the exhilaration of just focusing on my game and enjoying a good walk unspoiled. Played mid-south and Tobacco Road and just focused on the moment.  I guarantee you that if I had the Arccos 360 system with me, none of this would of happened.  I would of focused on getting the Arccos up and running and getting the data points for the review instead of what actually transpired.  I even told Joyzee10 when he went to Arizona and was also waiting for the Arccos 360 sensors, to not worry about it and focus on having fun out there and enjoying the game, the sensors will be waiting when he got back.

So are we overconnected with these sensors and phones etc ?  Yes,  But, there is a time and place to use them.  They are a training aid so for those of us that need to figure out our weaknesses and build upon our strengths, the Arccos system is fantastic.  Just like in every other facet of life, we all need to unplug at times and get away from emails, phone calls, etc...

MDGolfHacker

You're right mate! It was good to just enjoy the game and the beautiful courses and not be pulled away by a shiny new toy. Also, with the wind we faced (and also the beers i drank...) the numbers would have been all over the place.

I was explaining the Arccos to my wife last night and how it all works - Data, distances, percentages, tracking etc and she just looks at me and says "Isn't that cheating?" lol Bless her

I am looking forward to using it as a learning device and also the accountability aspect of it. My game will now be available for people to see outside of my playing partners - I've been known to spray em, top em, hit em fat/thin and everything in between! My hope is the system along with the new clubs will teach me to be a smarter golfer. 

What's In The Bag? Cobra Connect Challenge II - Instagram @joyzee1010

Driver:  RH   :cobra-small: F8+ 8*-11* Set at 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 Shaft

3 Wood: R:cobra-small: F8+ 13*-15* Set at 14.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76g 6.0 Shaft

3 Hybrid: RH   :cobra-small: F8 19* Rogue Pro 75 X-Stiff Shaft

Irons: RH   :cobra-small: F8  4 - GW with Dynamic Gold X100 Shaft 

Wedges: :cobra-small: King 54* 58* Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex 

Putter: RH  :taylormade-small: Rossa Mallet - Mid size Super Stroke Grip

Bag:    :cobra-small: Ultralight Stand Bag Black 

Ball: Various

Range Finder: TecTecTec VPRO DLXS

Shot Tracking Tour Analytics: Arccos

Previous WITB:

:taylormade-small: Driver R11s 9*

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood Rocketballz Stage 2 TP 15*

:adams-small: 3 Hybrid 19*

:taylormade-small: Irons 4-PW R11

:taylormade-small: Wedges TP 52*, 56*, 60*

:taylormade-small: Putter Rossa Mallet

Instagram - @joyzee1010

It's great for all of those electronic geeks out there, like myself. It's not something that has to be used every round, but it's nice to be able to use it when you want. I also think it may help peak some interest in the younger generation and possibly get them interested in the game as well.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

It's the main reason, as much as a tech nerd as I am, I haven't jumped into to the shot tracking world yet. I kind of enjoy the escape from tech on the golf course and don't want to worry about forgetting to tag a shot or something

Once the technology gets more passive then I'll likely get on board, but no phone in the pocket for this guy so it's just not going to happen now

I was just reading through the Cobra Connect Challenge thread and I got to wondering. Is all this technology good for us?

Now I agree that perimeter weighting, oversized drivers, and other equipment technology has made the game easier and more enjoyable for the average golfer. But I'm talking about this new era of the “wired” golfer, where clubs are now connected to mobile devices. Is this a positive or a negative?

I personally look at golf as a way to escape the everyday world, to unplug for a few hours, to stop looking at screens or hearing the “ding” of a notification.

Reading through the Connect Challenge thread I'm seeing posts about software glitches, software updates, battery life and many other problems that our common in our everyday lives, only now it's invading our golf clubs.

How do you guys feel about “wired” golf? Has technology gone too far that we can no longer enjoy a round of golf without data tracking every shot we take?

Not into the whole game tracking stuff yet but I think it gives another picture of the state of your game. How long before you can sit back and watch your last round of golf?

Driver: Cobra F8 Tour length

3W: Cobra King F7 3/4 Wood

5W: Cobra King F7 5/6 Wood

Hybrid 3/4: Cobra F7 20.5*

Irons: 5 to PW Taylormade P790

A Wedge: 48* Vokey SM6 F grind

S Wedge: 54* Vokey SM6 M grind

L Wedge: 58* Vokey SM6 M grind

Putter: Rife Two Bar Hybrid 35" P2 Aware Tour grip

Ball: Taylormade TP 5X

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag 🇨🇦

I'm not a tech/gadget kind of guy.   I see the purpose and it's fine and dandy for those who use it however I'll pass. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Having the tech myself I find it has been a distraction as I play. If the tech always worked as advertised I'm sure I'd love it. But until it does I have gone back to just enjoying the game and not worrying about if it picked up each shot or not.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I'm a stats nerd so I like it, but not if it means I need to have my phone in my pocket. Not because I enjoy being disconnected while I'm playing, I just don't want to have it in my pocket. Tech puts food on the table and golf clubs in my bag, so I have a different appreciation for it. It also enables me to leave the office at 2pm to go play golf, so I have an even deeper appreciation for it.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Most of It's not for me. And I've tried some of it.

Couple of years ago I jumped on the Golf Game thing and hated it. Granted I was a very early adopter of the "technology" and it was major buggy. I ditched it. I've heard it's gotten better. Anyway... overall I'm just not interested it messing with a phone or some other intrusive device while I play. I currently have a Cobra Connect grip I got with a shaft purchase. I've never used it and probably won't.

Yes... I use a LRF and a GPS unit which might be a little much for some. But it works for me and my game and I suppose that's all that matters.

Woops; almost forgot... I use a golf gambling app too.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I don't have any sensors on my clubs, but I need my garmin gps when I play. I find that so many courses are mis-marked and I play from some other fairways often and need that to give me how far I have.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I don't have any sensors on my clubs, but I need my garmin gps when I play. I find that so many courses are mis-marked and I play from some other fairways often and need that to give me how far I have.

I hear you on that one, but hopefully not much more when the new boomstick comes in

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

I hear you on that one, but hopefully not much more when the new boomstick comes in

Long and wrong lol It's not always me though. I don't usually play with scratch golfers so they are making me drive over there anyway

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I have a Swingbyte and a Blast Motion sensor... That's a LOT of info to deal with. Pretty much, it's too much information!!! Paralysis by analysis. The only way to use it all is to have a coach make suggestions based upon it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Also being a tech nerd, I am on the fence.  Golf is an escape, but it's also a challenge that I want to get better.  I keep record of my stats on my scorecards so overall I would really enjoy having accurate and insanely detailed stats.  However, the question comes down to do I really need that much info (it is really awesome tech)?  Or more realistically, do I want to relive the nightmare of how many balls I s****ed into the rough?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I've been in IT for over 20 years, and I currently work for a fairly large software company (Red Hat). So take that into account with what I write.

I'm obsessed with data, and I want to get better and get the most out of the game I have. That being said, the holy grail for me is to not interact with anything more technical than my laser rangefinder during my round.

I spent last year bouncing back and forth among the following:

- GolfPad, marking each shot on my phone.

- GolfPad, using a Pebble smartwatch.

- Recording every shot I hit (club and yardage) with an online database I created, then loading this data into a strokes gained spreadsheet.

I hated all three methods.

I hated pulling my phone out of my pocket for every shot, and I hated changing my preshot routine to mark the shot. Then I hated going back in and recording the club after each shot.

I hated wearing a watch (I never wear watches), and I hated changing my preshot routine to play with my watch. I also hated it when the watch would not sync with the app.

I hated recording every shot I hit into my phone.

I hated everything I was doing. But I loved the data. So I put up with it. And I got my handicap as low as it's been since high school. I knew what I needed to practice; I knew what shots I should avoid hitting. So I put up with the hassle.

I have only one round with the Arccos in the books, but so far, I love it. Sticking the phone in my left pocket is not ideal, but it's a compromise I'm willing to make, considering that I don't need to touch the phone at all during the round. I can make any edits that I need to make when I'm looking at my stats afterward. It really does get out of your way, unless you want to use the GPS, Arccos Caddie, etc.

Unless I go out on tour, I'm not going to get stats like this without some sort of compromise. Arccos is the compromise I'm willing to make.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

This is why I still enjoy some tournament golf. Some events take away even the laser (USGA). And I think that is great. Actually having to get yardage's and such is the way tournament golf should be.

As for your everyday round I think it slows down play especially if your having issues. I do know some of the stats would be great to have. For me this year I'm going no gps and just laser for most rounds.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

This is why I still enjoy some tournament golf. Some events take away even the laser (USGA). And I think that is great. Actually having to get yardage's and such is the way tournament golf should be.

As for your everyday round I think it slows down play especially if your having issues. I do know some of the stats would be great to have. For me this year I'm going no gps and just laser for most rounds.

Hmm... Bring back caddies st every course ... Problem solved.. And they can keep your stats for you! 😁

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

I go to the golf course to get away from everything, which includes un-plugging from the wired world. That being said, I think range finders and tech that helps you understand your distance with each club (trackman) are huge helps. But tracking every shot and the new green mapping tech that allows golfers to pull up the breaks & grain of putting greens on their phones is going to slow the game down even more.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Never really thought about it, I know I got to try the sky caddie watch. thinking about it now, I was awfully concerned with the technology working vs just playing golf.

Driver  :ping-small: G425 9* Hzrdus Smoke Green Small batch 6.5 70g

Fairway Wood:   image.jpeg.b9b42744cb10f0524500549b74545dd7.jpegCobra Radspeed Big 3 Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Hybrid:  image.jpeg.c5ec9f74aa563ad0246ab686b1c35eeb.jpegCobra Aerojet 5 Wood Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.5

Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 (4-AW) AMT Black Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: Tour Rack 56* 60*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Great topic.

I love golf. I love stats. I love gadgets. And I'm a bit OCD about things.

This means that I have a massive weakness for these golf tech products. And it also means that they have a massive potential for disrupting my rounds. By "disruption," I don't merely mean that they disconnect me from the serenity of being at the golf course (though they can do that). But they also have a tendency to take me away from focusing on, you know, actually playing golf well. Also (and more importantly), they can become a distraction from the conversation with the guys I'm playing with, which for me (especially as a pastor) is a chief reason I golf.

I've used Game Golf for the last couple of years, upgrading to Game Golf Live this past season. I think that upgrade was a mistake. The difference between GG and GGL is that the latter pairs with your phone, so that you can see your shots on the course in real time. The former is a standalone device, and you don't see any information until you bring it to your computer and upload your rounds.

This year, my intention is to continue using my GGL, but not to use it with my phone at all. The problem that I had with GGL (or with just using the tags with my phone by NFC) is that I constantly have to make sure that every shot is tagged perfectly (that's the OCD idea). I'm always checking to make sure that that putt from off the green wasn't tagged as an actual putt (don't want to mess with my putting stats). This kind of thing, messing with my phone during the round to make sure the data is all accurate, and getting frustrated when it isn't right, is what I want to get away from this year.

Tagging shots on the belt device is pretty smooth for me; I can do that without thinking. So this year, I bought a laser range finder, which I'm going to use instead of my phone for distances. I'll keep my score manually (shots and putts). After the round, I'll plug the GGL into my computer, let it upload, and with a scorecard in front of me, it's pretty easy for me to manually correct any errors in the data at that point.

want the data. Once you get it, and you start seeing the ways in which the data shows you specifically where you need to improve, it's hard to give that up. But I want to get the data while keeping my head in the round, keeping myself actively engaged with the people I'm with.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I'm a data-driven dork, too. I love to play different courses, so a GPS app on my phone is almost a necessity. I played around with a shot-tracking app last year and hated it. There was too much stuff to try to remember to do pre and post shot for a shot to register. To me, looking at my screen to figure out distance to pin, hazards, etc. is barely different from stepping off from a yardage marker. Maybe with time and use I could get used to the extra routine, but I don't need an app to tell me my ball striking sucks.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Lots of great replies. It will be interesting to see how the Cobra Connect Challenge testers feel by seasons end.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

You know, I don't need Arccos to tell me I suck, but it's nice to see the numbers back it up, LOL  But seriously, I'll be crunching numbers and working on the stuff that really can lower my score.  

MDGolfHacker

Fairway Woods: 

Social Media:

You know, I don't need Arccos to tell me I suck, but it's nice to see the numbers back it up, LOL  But seriously, I'll be crunching numbers and working on the stuff that really can lower my score.  

MDGolfHacker

I'm thinking along these lines.  I would have been interested in the Cobra Connect challenge to see how some updated equipment would help my game, and have numbers to back it up, but I can just picture myself with that data.  "Man, I hit my 56* 115?  I'm going to see if I can hit it 125!"  Not sure that would help my game much, and I know I don't have the discipline to not think that way.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

MDGolfHacker

That's exactly it, and it's why I want to figure out the best way to get the data without letting the process mess with my round.

For instance, I have in front of me right now a comparison of my last two calendar years of golf. In terms of strokes lost against a scratch golfer per round, Game Golf tells me that in 2016, I was losing:

5.3 per round off the tee (mostly because I'm painfully short)

8.0 per round in approach shots

7.8 per round in short game (that's embarrassing)

1.8 per round in putting (better than the normal 15 handicap)

Last year, my driving and putting were roughly the same, but my approach game improved by 1.5 strokes per round, and my short game by just over 2 strokes. That was enough to get my GG handicap from 18 to 15.

Like MDGolfHacker, I don't know GG to know I'm not good at this game. But knowing (rather than assuming) where I'm losing shots is invaluable to me.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Archived