Is All This Golf Tech Good For US?

This is why I still enjoy some tournament golf. Some events take away even the laser (USGA). And I think that is great. Actually having to get yardage's and such is the way tournament golf should be.

As for your everyday round I think it slows down play especially if your having issues. I do know some of the stats would be great to have. For me this year I'm going no gps and just laser for most rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Callaway Steelhead Plus 4 wood

Hybrid: 18* 2 & 22* 4 Sub 70 949

Irons:  Sub 70 

639 CB 5 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Handicap index:  +2.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

This is why I still enjoy some tournament golf. Some events take away even the laser (USGA). And I think that is great. Actually having to get yardage's and such is the way tournament golf should be.

As for your everyday round I think it slows down play especially if your having issues. I do know some of the stats would be great to have. For me this year I'm going no gps and just laser for most rounds.

Hmm... Bring back caddies st every course ... Problem solved.. And they can keep your stats for you! 😁

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

I go to the golf course to get away from everything, which includes un-plugging from the wired world. That being said, I think range finders and tech that helps you understand your distance with each club (trackman) are huge helps. But tracking every shot and the new green mapping tech that allows golfers to pull up the breaks & grain of putting greens on their phones is going to slow the game down even more.

• Like 2

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges: :cobra-small: MIM 54* Versatile/60* Widelow

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Never really thought about it, I know I got to try the sky caddie watch. thinking about it now, I was awfully concerned with the technology working vs just playing golf.

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

Great topic.

I love golf. I love stats. I love gadgets. And I'm a bit OCD about things.

This means that I have a massive weakness for these golf tech products. And it also means that they have a massive potential for disrupting my rounds. By "disruption," I don't merely mean that they disconnect me from the serenity of being at the golf course (though they can do that). But they also have a tendency to take me away from focusing on, you know, actually playing golf well. Also (and more importantly), they can become a distraction from the conversation with the guys I'm playing with, which for me (especially as a pastor) is a chief reason I golf.

I've used Game Golf for the last couple of years, upgrading to Game Golf Live this past season. I think that upgrade was a mistake. The difference between GG and GGL is that the latter pairs with your phone, so that you can see your shots on the course in real time. The former is a standalone device, and you don't see any information until you bring it to your computer and upload your rounds.

This year, my intention is to continue using my GGL, but not to use it with my phone at all. The problem that I had with GGL (or with just using the tags with my phone by NFC) is that I constantly have to make sure that every shot is tagged perfectly (that's the OCD idea). I'm always checking to make sure that that putt from off the green wasn't tagged as an actual putt (don't want to mess with my putting stats). This kind of thing, messing with my phone during the round to make sure the data is all accurate, and getting frustrated when it isn't right, is what I want to get away from this year.

Tagging shots on the belt device is pretty smooth for me; I can do that without thinking. So this year, I bought a laser range finder, which I'm going to use instead of my phone for distances. I'll keep my score manually (shots and putts). After the round, I'll plug the GGL into my computer, let it upload, and with a scorecard in front of me, it's pretty easy for me to manually correct any errors in the data at that point.

want the data. Once you get it, and you start seeing the ways in which the data shows you specifically where you need to improve, it's hard to give that up. But I want to get the data while keeping my head in the round, keeping myself actively engaged with the people I'm with.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:adams-small: XTD Proto dHy 21°, Aldila Green NV Hybrid 105 S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

I'm a data-driven dork, too. I love to play different courses, so a GPS app on my phone is almost a necessity. I played around with a shot-tracking app last year and hated it. There was too much stuff to try to remember to do pre and post shot for a shot to register. To me, looking at my screen to figure out distance to pin, hazards, etc. is barely different from stepping off from a yardage marker. Maybe with time and use I could get used to the extra routine, but I don't need an app to tell me my ball striking sucks.

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 10.5* (set at 8.5*) Tensei CK Orange
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW: :cleveland-small: Zipcore Black Satin 58*
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x Pix
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

2021 Test - Callaway Epic Speed

Lots of great replies. It will be interesting to see how the Cobra Connect Challenge testers feel by seasons end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

You know, I don't need Arccos to tell me I suck, but it's nice to see the numbers back it up, LOL  But seriously, I'll be crunching numbers and working on the stuff that really can lower my score.  

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

You know, I don't need Arccos to tell me I suck, but it's nice to see the numbers back it up, LOL  But seriously, I'll be crunching numbers and working on the stuff that really can lower my score.  

MDGolfHacker

I'm thinking along these lines.  I would have been interested in the Cobra Connect challenge to see how some updated equipment would help my game, and have numbers to back it up, but I can just picture myself with that data.  "Man, I hit my 56* 115?  I'm going to see if I can hit it 125!"  Not sure that would help my game much, and I know I don't have the discipline to not think that way.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

MDGolfHacker

That's exactly it, and it's why I want to figure out the best way to get the data without letting the process mess with my round.

For instance, I have in front of me right now a comparison of my last two calendar years of golf. In terms of strokes lost against a scratch golfer per round, Game Golf tells me that in 2016, I was losing:

5.3 per round off the tee (mostly because I'm painfully short)

8.0 per round in approach shots

7.8 per round in short game (that's embarrassing)

1.8 per round in putting (better than the normal 15 handicap)

Last year, my driving and putting were roughly the same, but my approach game improved by 1.5 strokes per round, and my short game by just over 2 strokes. That was enough to get my GG handicap from 18 to 15.

Like MDGolfHacker, I don't know GG to know I'm not good at this game. But knowing (rather than assuming) where I'm losing shots is invaluable to me.

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X
:callaway-small: Mavrik Sub Zero 15°, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 18.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:adams-small: XTD Proto dHy 21°, Aldila Green NV Hybrid 105 S
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

Full WITB with pictures

I use arccos and I find that it does not take me out of the game. I had switched from gen 1 to 360 over the winter and finally got to use it and so I was checking the phone a bit more than I would in the round to make sure it was tracking right but that was it. I do check shots when say I duff a chip and am only like 10 yards or more away and it will sometimes not register and I will edit really quick if there was time. I will check after putts too in case I have a light tap in. 

I think it has the potential to speed the game up and slow it down for some people. I know it can actually speed things up for me because I use my Apple Watch with it and I will get a club suggestion based on smart distance data and that has been very helpful in me better understanding what club to hit at certain distances. 

I will say Arccos appealed the most to me because it was less I had to do to track shots. Really just have the phone on my person and hit a shot. Not much more than that. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic
3w: Callaway BB Alpha 816
Hybrids: Mizuno JPX 900 , Titleist 818 H1
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX3 52,56,60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 (2015)
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

I have a Leupold GX-2i3. I don't want it for shooting everything in sight every time I swing a club. It is nice when you have an odd location shot, playing somewhere with lousy distance markings, greens circled with sand, or a moat full of swamp monsters and lost balls.

• Like 1

Set1
Driver - :cobra-small:Cobra King F6+ set 9.5 D, Matrix 65M4 Black Tie R-Flex 65g low-mid launch 
Fairway - :cobra-small:Cobra F6 3/4 and 7/8 both R-flex
Irons - Tour Edge Exotics E8 Steel R-flex 4-PW
Wedges - :cleveland-small:Cleveland CBX 50 and 54, and Smart Sole 3 58
Putter - Top Flite Tour Align 5
Rangefinder - Leupold GX-2i3

Set2

Driver - Custom Built - Accura SP-700 400cc 10deg 48.5" S-flex

Hybrids - :adams-small:Adams Idea A50s 3 and 4

Irons - :taylormade-small:Taylor Made Burner Oversize 3-PW, lightly used 3 and 4 still in original plastic(auction buy $15 w/bag and several other clubs)

Wedges - Snake Eyes 52 & 56 and Dunlop True Tech Lob 64

Putter - W :wilson-small:ilson Harmonized M1

Set 3

My original set approximately 43 years old and I occasionally take the irons out for a swing

:titelist-small:Titleist Lite 100

I actually won a game golf a few years ago and still use it today. The variation I have doesn't do live updates as I go, but allows me to review the shots and distances afterwards. It is very helpful in that regard. I don't keep my phone with me when I golf because I enjoy the peace and quiet when I'm on the course.

• Like 1

1)Taylormade Speedblade regular flex irons

2) Cobra Amp Cell  11.5 regular flex Driver

3)Right Handed

4) PA

5) 18 Handicap (but aiming for 15 by end of summer)

Can I add here that deejad is always a must read poster. I don't always agree with him and yet because his posts are articulate and a bit on the edge he forces me to think through the topic at hand.

Thanks!

• Like 5

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Hmm... Bring back caddies st every course ... Problem solved.. And they can keep your stats for you! [emoji16]

MDGolfHacker

How cool would this be.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M6 10.5*

FW: Callaway Steelhead Plus 4 wood

Hybrid: 18* 2 & 22* 4 Sub 70 949

Irons:  Sub 70 

639 CB 5 - 6

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Arm Lock
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X
Handicap index:  +2.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

Can I add here that deejad is always a must read poster. I don't always agree with him and yet because his posts are articulate and a bit on the edge he forces me to think through the topic at hand.

Thanks!

Thanks Rev! I appreciate the compliment! To me the conversations about our experiences and feelings toward the equipment and the game in general are more interesting than just the numbers or data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I have enjoyed my ShotScope V2 for the most part. I bought it to try and chart my game to see what needed improvement most and it has been spot on in that category. There is definitely no hiding from the raw numbers. But I wouldn't be crushed if things like this weren't allowed and it was all pencil and paper again.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

How cool would this be.

Back in the day (before The First Tee), caddying is how regular kids (like me) got into golf. There's an app trying to bring it back:

https://caddienow.com/for-golfers/

• Like 1

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4 Wood (17*) - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
7 Wood  - :callaway-logo-1: Big Bertha Warbird S2H2 - RCH 90 "Firm"
5i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
GW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :taylormade-small: TP5X Pix
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

What's in timeout:
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
4i - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )

Since I am involved with the Cobra connect challenge, I decided to wait to chime in until I had a chance to try out the arccos system.. I found it no more intrusive then a Golf GPS. after the first couple of holes you don't even notice the phone in your pocket, as far as the data most of us keep track to at least some extent that information anyhow.. Do i think it is hurting US? For some maybe, those who want to turn off the outside world and just play golf maybe more then other but over all no I think it is fine. 

AS long as we use it in perspective, it is not going to make me Rickie, Jordan, DJ, or Tiger. Will it help me get more out of my practice and help me make better choices to play better yes. 

But it is not for everyone, and each one of needs to decide how it ill best suit them.. 

• Like 1

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Cobra F8+ Driver Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedges 54* and 58* versatile grind

Snake eyes Viper Putter.