TESTERS WANTED! ×

The 46 degree wedge

So I recantly purchased a set of Mizuno MP—53 irons 4-9 and it came with a 46 degree Cleveland CG15 pitching wedge. I have intrigued about gaming a set like this for awhile. Wedges have never been a issue for me but wondering how many others are playing this style set up? I have not had chance to play this set yet but I am having high expectations. I find this humorous since last week I posted about how crazy and expensive it getting with lofting and how we will need to buy more wedges to keep up to gaping issues. Now this week I currently have 4 wedges in my bag and I've gone back to irons with more traditional lofts.🤷🏻‍♂️

Adams Speedline 4G ultralite driver stiff shaft

Taylormade SLDR driver extra stiff shaft

Ping G20 3 wood stiff shaft

Adams redline 3&4 hybrids stiff shaft

Adams redline 5-PW stiff shaft

Titleist Vokey sm5 wedges 52, 56, 60

Boccieri golf Heavy putter

So I recantly purchased a set of Mizuno MP—53 irons 4-9 and it came with a 46 degree Cleveland CG15 pitching wedge. I have intrigued about gaming a set like this for awhile. Wedges have never been a issue for me but wondering how many others are playing this style set up? I have not had chance to play this set yet but I am having high expectations. I find this humorous since last week I posted about how crazy and expensive it getting with lofting and how we will need to buy more wedges to keep up to gaping issues. Now this week I currently have 4 wedges in my bag and I've gone back to irons with more traditional lofts.🤷🏻‍♂️

I believe a lot of the newer clubs are a little hotter than that. My JPX 900s are set up with a 45 PW.

Manufacturers are going to continue to creep the lofts stronger and stronger. Why? Because the average buyer is going to say I want to hit my 7 iron further. So they grap this new seven iron, swing it a few times and it goes further than their current irons. Doesn't matter that it's just a 6 iron of old lol.

I can see it now, the 40 degree PW. We are going to needs five wedges soon maybe 6. Oh no, we may have stumbled on a conspiracy here started buy the wedge companies to force us to buy more wedges. If you all don't here from me. . .lol

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

MP-53s do not have "traditional" lofts.

What do you consider traditional? Because I would say after looking at the loft chart it looks pretty dang traditional

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

What do you consider traditional? Because I would say after looking at the loft chart it looks pretty dang traditional

More and more companies are putting out 42/43 degree pitching wedges that's a lot stronger than the 48 that was once the normal. A players 46 In my eyes is traditional.

I guess traditional depends on your age. When I started a PW was in the 52* range. It then progressed to the new traditional 48* and now we are seeing 46* and even lower.

You still can only have 14 clubs, the key is filling the gaps. With the cost of irons, maybe only needing to buy 5 is a good thing.

Glad manufacturers are putting the lifts on the clubs instead of just a W so I know which wedge to pull.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

That 46 would be my ideal PW. My last set of Mizzys had the PW at 45 and My Cleveland CBX irons have the strongest lofts for their numbering system I've ever seen with the 4i at 20 and the PW at 44, but I just treat it as a 3i and 9i, respectively. My wedges then go 50, 55, 60, do i May bend my irons 1 degree weak to keep the gapping the same But bring my wedges it to the 5° gapping that I like

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

In my current club set up.  My Hogan Radial pitching wedge is 50 degrees and my 9 iron is 45 degrees.  My 3 iron is 23 degrees.  The loft angles on some sets of clubs made now especially the distance oriented game improvement clubs are pretty crazy anymore.  

The number on the club is only a guide once you know how far you hit that particular club really.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

In my current club set up. My Hogan Radial pitching wedge is 50 degrees and my 9 iron is 45 degrees. My 3 iron is 23 degrees. The loft angles on some sets of clubs made now especially the distance oriented game improvement clubs are pretty crazy anymore.

The number on the club is only a guide once you know how far you hit that particular club really.

It will be fantastic when all sets just come with loft numbers on them. Being able to pick the gapping will be easier and then we can do away with constantly looking online to figure out the lofts for every iron in the bag

I agree with cnosil... it's all about the distance gaps. How far does your normal drive go? How far does a full swing with your highest lofted wedge go? Find 11 clubs to fill the gaps... traditionally 10-12 yards between each, but whatever works for you.

The number on the bottom is arbitrary.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

I wouldn't mind having a number and the loft on the bottom- at least then when your buddy rips a 170yd "9i" you can point to the measurement.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. I've replaced my Cleveland 46 wedge with a 46 vokey and all I can is wow. My short iron accuracy has gone up to new levels. It's nice looking at the pin and going for it. Incredible differnece between the vokey and the Cleveland wedge, I can safely say that it's titleist or nothing for me.

Quick update. I've replaced my Cleveland 46 wedge with a 46 vokey and all I can is wow. My short iron accuracy has gone up to new levels. It's nice looking at the pin and going for it. Incredible differnece between the vokey and the Cleveland wedge, I can safely say that it's titleist or nothing for me.

Glad to here you found something you like. Just curious, what are the lofts of your other wedges now?

My pitching wedge is a full swing club about 100% of the time so I want it have the same characteristics as my irons.  I honestly don't think theres much different between my PW and something like the Vokey's.  It really comes down to personal preference.

I think if someone is gaming a more GI/larger cavity iron than they should definitely stay with the set PW

I am having the lofts on my Srixon irons bent 2 degree weak across the set to get my gapping where I want it. Right now my 5 iron and 6 iron go practically the same distance and I am not a low swing speed player.

I'm not a fan of the loft jacking going on now with manufacturers. I know why they do it but it doesn't solve anything to me.

I am toying with replacing my PW at 48 degrees with a Vokey 48 but I still am not really sure that's the route I want to go.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

Glad to here you found something you like. Just curious, what are the lofts of your other wedges now?

My current set up is 46, 52, 56, 60 all titleist vokey my 46 is a am4 and the rest are sm5 and Ive never been more satisfied

I am having the lofts on my Srixon irons bent 2 degree weak across the set to get my gapping where I want it. Right now my 5 iron and 6 iron go practically the same distance and I am not a low swing speed player.

I'm not a fan of the loft jacking going on now with manufacturers. I know why they do it but it doesn't solve anything to me.

I am toying with replacing my PW at 48 degrees with a Vokey 48 but I still am not really sure that's the route I want to go.

I would recommend hitting a stronger wedge option like a 46 against your current PW just ensure you get the gapping. I do notice a bit of yardage loss going from a set pw to a real wedge but I love the accuracy it added to my game

Archived