TESTERS WANTED! ×

MannKrafted's Mallet goes a little softer

golfluvzme

It has been a while since I posted and I am seeing a lot of the "Big Boys" work, not much small stuff, :( . Let's add just a touch to the mix and see how it fares.

I recently put together an aluminum mallet for the daughter of the gentleman who does my welding. When I delivered it to her, she was coming off of the course at a high school golf match. The looks were many and it was very well-received, ;) . This young lady is very new to the game and to see her name on a putter that nobody else will ever have is something that she never expected.

2010_09200041.jpg

2010_09200043.jpg

But, this thread is for the putter that was ordered that day, by one of the young ladies who plays on the same team, along with my daughter. She wanted something that was personalized and done in the color scheme that had caught her eye on line, recently. White seems to be the rage, so I was not all that surprised, but happy to put another project in line.

This head had been started a while ago and I just needed the push to bring it to completion.

Here is what she looks like on her way to the new owner.

The finish should be our most durable white, yet. I have done some additional sealing and from the test part, it is a substantial improvement.

The options on that slide-in weight plate are pretty endless, I'll agree. When time allows, LOL, I'll be doing some very cool stuff. This one seems to have the best chance of making it to a production shaping and design. We'll see what type of feedback we get as far as feel and balance and go from there.

Not sure how well this one will cater to the sliding of the weight to different positions, but this full plate would have a ton of advertising space on the bottom. I can see it with site logos, corporate logos and maybe a cool "MANNKRAFTED" logo engraved.

Time will tell.

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

2010_10080018.jpg

2010_10080020.jpg

2010_10080021.jpg

2010_10080023.jpg

2010_10080024.jpg

BTW, if that sightline on the topline looks a little off-color, there is a reason. When mention was made on Facebook that I had done some glow in the dark paint fill, the high school team went a little crazy for it. That sightline will glow like a little green worm on the top line. Not sure when it will ever come in handy, but it looks very cool in a dark room, LMAO!

Being as I'm a green and white guy (see my WITB), I'm digging the color scheme. The only thing is that I'd like to see the sightline that's glow in the dark also green, but hey, you gotta please your customers. BTW, on the glow in the dark, does is dry that offwhite color or does it dry semi clear? If it's semi clear, it'd have looked awesome on the 3 sightlines on the green piece. She'd have her glos in the dark with functional sightlines during the daytime as well (course the GITD paint would only be good for those tournaments finishing at dusk, but hey, how many of her team mates or competitors can say their sightline glows in the dark?). Oh, and I never knew you didn't do all of your own welding. I'd just assumed you did.

As always, great work LaMont. Looking forward to the progression of the Tombstone line. I'm assuming this is probably your first from scratch neo-mallet? If so, I can't wait to see what's next, maybe a Tombstone II?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I have the welder in the shop, but that is a trade that I have a long way to go with. I usually pick things up pretty quick, but there is a big difference between just welding and laying a bead that looks like it should, :( . I have managed to assemble a great team here and when the need arises, I have some of the best in every field that comes along, with the putter making. Welding, plating and hot salts black oxide are the last three parts that still get outsourced. I don't see the two later ever being brough in-house, but the welding is one that I am working on.

Thanks for the post,

LaMont in AZ

I can see outsourcing the two you said you always will. I looked into a black ox system, right until I saw the price. I don't see how it would be affordable or cost effective for anyone doing just golf equipment, save the large OEM's with huge numbers like Adams, Titleist, etc. Can't blame you there. Also understand the welding part, I just assumed you did it because of your skills with everything else. I had a mechanic hands on test at work recently, one part was welding. It's not like riding a bike, I can tell you that. I haven't done it in years and while I got it welded together, I still failed because of the requirements.

About the glow paint, does it dry yellowish or translucent? Just curious.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

To answer the question, the Glow In the Dark paint fill dries to a soft yellow, like you see in the white/green putter's top line sightline. It is more of a novelty than anything and I really have no idea as to the durability. But, for a few kids at a local high school and one crazy truck driver, it is a very cool addition to their own customized putters.

I agree with Justin on the ability to move the plates without a specialized wrench, as well. All it takes on my putters with the plates is a 3/32" allen wrench and a minute or so. When one of these rascals makes it to production level, I'll go a lot harder at some different plate shapes, sizes, materials and alignment markings.

Right now, I am busy as a 3-tailed cat in a room full of rockin' chairs with my refinishes, custom work and SSB putters. I don't see it letting up, but maybe the full time day job will have to sacrifice a day a week...........time will tell.

Thanks again,

LaMont in AZ

Archived