Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2018 Rife RFX putters

robotnoises

I was trying-out putters at my local Edwin Watts yesterday when I noticed within the sea of Odysseys a brand new 35" Rife RFX "Rival" putter. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to putters, but I knew the name "rife" and I knew it was supposed to be good so I picked it up and tried a few putts.

I was blown away by how it felt off the face... like, it felt way better than anything I've felt before (putter-wise). Mind you, I am a putter neophyte, but when I turned the shaft to reveal the price tag I was very surprised to see it was retailing for $99.

I decided to do a quick google search and discovered that the original god Guerin Rife is no longer involved with the company. A little more Google-fu revealed that the company went under in 2008 and was snapped-up by what appears to be a private equity firm... all red flags to me, but I don't know.

Does anyone here own a newer Rife putter? Has anyone tested the RFX series? There is almost nothing on the internet about these putters so I'm not sure how to reconcile my experience.

Here's the current lineup in case you're interested: http://rifegolf.com/rfxstore/

WITB:

Driver: Cobra F6 (10.5*) + Project X HZRDUS Black -1"

Utility: Cobra KING Utility Black One Length (21*)

5I-GW: Cobra KING F7 One Length

SW: Mizuno MP T5 (56*)

LW: Mizuno MP T5 (60*)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie (Black)

Since Guerin Rife has nothing to do with this company and sold off the Brand name and the IP and someone is trying to rekindle the brand, it's nothing of real interest to me. Happens all the time, especially in the golf business.

I think I'll stick with Evnroll

I am sure it is a fine putter just like almost every putter that you will find in a golf store.

Everyone has their thoughts on what the right feel, look, and method of fitting. In the end, if you like it and you can roll the ball on your intended line and can control the speed(distance) it is a good putter for you.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I still think Rife putters are good. It's ultimately up to you. If it feels "way better than anything you've felt before," then it is probably an excellent putter for you. Give it a go!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

If you like it And it works well for you, do it! I played for many years with a $40 Golden Bear that just fit me well off the rack and that was money for me… Until it wasn't.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

I still think Rife putters are good. It's ultimately up to you. If it feels "way better than anything you've felt before," then it is probably an excellent putter for you. Give it a go!

It definitely felt amazing, but I've also never rolled a lot of the premium putters like Scotty Cameron or EVNROLL.

You don't think the quality has dropped-off too much since the mid 2000s? Seems to me that the original Rife putters retailed around $200, so I'm curious why they are able to offer at $99.

WITB:

Driver: Cobra F6 (10.5*) + Project X HZRDUS Black -1"

Utility: Cobra KING Utility Black One Length (21*)

5I-GW: Cobra KING F7 One Length

SW: Mizuno MP T5 (56*)

LW: Mizuno MP T5 (60*)

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 Rossie (Black)

It definitely felt amazing, but I've also never rolled a lot of the premium putters like Scotty Cameron or EVNROLL.

You don't think the quality has dropped-off too much since the mid 2000s? Seems to me that the original Rife putters retailed around $200, so I'm curious why they are able to offer at $99.

Because they're not doing any new R&D and likely have super cheap manufacturing in China. They are selling a name. Just like the Tommy armor or McGregor clubs you see in big box stores

Feel is a personal thing and is actually sound related. What feels/sounds good to one player may be horrible to another. The only important thing is that you like it. A putter is basically a piece of metal hitting a ball. The feel/sound can be influenced by how much of the face comes into contact with the ball(groove pattern), type of metal, and face thickness.

The price probably has nothing to do with quality. It is about what price point they believe that can sell putters. Because a putter costs >$500 doesn't make it any better than a putter that is

People will point to tour presence as an indicator of quality. I advise you to ignore the hype and it you like the putter and it fits your stroke the it is the best putter for you. Spending more money on a putter does not make it better unless it has been custom build to the specifications you need.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

They are going to have all of the intellectual property that he had put into that company as part of the purchase, so it won't have any new Evnroll ideas but it should still be a good putter designed by Guerin. I can't speak to their manufacturing processes, but if it looks good to you, feels and rools good, and the price is right then I say go for it!

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I wouldn't get wrapped up in price. Both Cleveland and Wilson Staff make excellent putters at similarly low prices. If you liked it, buy it and put it in the bag.

What's in My Bag?

Driver: Cobra F6

Fairway: Cobra F6 3/4

Hybrids: Wilson Staff D100ES (4 & 5)

Irons: Wilson Staff C200 (6i to GW)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX (52, 56, and 60°)

Putter: Happy Putter Blade

The guy who used to make Rife putters now designs EVNROLL putters, so they should be similar. You could give those a try and see what you think. You could also do a side by side comparison of an old Rife and a new Rife...

The guy who used to make Rife putters now designs EVNROLL putters, so they should be similar. You could give those a try and see what you think. You could also do a side by side comparison of an old Rife and a new Rife...

These new putters are Rife in name only. Don't have any of the tech of the Evnroll.

These new putters are Rife in name only. Don't have any of the tech of the Evnroll.

Yep, exactly. Maybe a somewhat similar feel, as long as the new owners of Rife didn't mess with the designs too much...

Archived