TESTERS WANTED! ×

Golf Pride Align grip review

whoopwhoop893

Whoopwhoop here, I was lucky enough to be a tester for the Golf Pride Align grip giveaway Golf Pride did a few weeks ago and decided to do a quick review.

First off, I love trying new equipment so I was delighted to get a grip in the mail.  When I entered, I had three choices of Golf Pride's Align line.

One was oversize option, one was the MCC dual compound and the third was their tour velvet.  All had this new align grip feature that intrigued me.  I've never have tried a dual compound grip before so that's the one I picked.

Once I got it in the mail. I quickly put on some Marley and set up shop in my kitchen (ahh city livin').  I've attached a picture of me putting it on my driver.  I have a oldish Callaway Diablo driver that had the stock grip still on it. 

Just some notes from testing it on the course:

1) Looks really pretty, though I'm not a huge fan of the white.  I'd prefer it in red.

2) The alignment feature, It's supposed to help you align your grip properly every time and a sensation of alignment during the swing.  This to me wasn't clear at first because I thought it was visual, but nope, goes on the bottom of the shaft. And that's the last I ever thought of it.  Just marketing mubo jumbo to me.  I will say that knowing it was there did make me think it might have some extremely subtle effect, but it's not noticeable.

3) Performance: Well, this is subjective.  However, I will say I think dual compound is good for a firmer grip.  I generally like firmer grips.  This grip also seems like it will do well for my sweaty hands in the summer.

4) Conclusions:  For me, I wouldn't switch over my grips onto the rest of my clubs with the Golf Pride MCC align.  I think the helpfulness of the alignment line is marketing silliness and didn't notice it as much help.  As for the multi compound, I didn't really like it and wish I chose the Tour Velvet.  I think that's the best option for me.  If you're on a budget, I wouldn't pay extra for the alignment feature or MCC.  And honestly, I will be much more careful about marketing features from the golf industry in general after trying the Align grips for myself.

I've heard that the feature is very subtle- no surprise there. I know a few guys that will put a thin wire under(?) the tape when they install their grips to give them the "reminder"- not sure if this is legal, but it works!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I've heard that the feature is very subtle- no surprise there. I know a few guys that will put a thin wire under(?) the tape when they install their grips to give them the "reminder"- not sure if this is legal, but it works!

Yea, I can see where they were going.  Maybe they could make it less subtle? Or is that illegal, I'm not sure. It's rough adding tech to something so simple as a grip. I guess, for me it was a little disappointing in that I didn't notice it more.

The ridge height allowed is governed by USGA rules. I used to put some ribs from GolfWorks on my clubs that adhered to the shaft with 3m type adhesive and I remember they advertised them as being the maximum allowable height.

I have the MCC Align multi compounds on all my clubs right now and love them. I wish they would release them in the Z Cord or Tour Velvet Cord though. I would really like to be back in full Cord grips again. I was selected as a tester as well and I got a Tour Velvet that I love the feel of, but I know from experience it will be way to slippery for me in the humid South Texas summers.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

It is technically legal if it is under a certain diameter. Basically thin welding wire or picture hanging wire is legal where a coat hanger wire is not. Back in the day the old school guys used coat hanger wire until the USGA in their infinite wisdom deemed it illegal 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Yeah Stu- it wasn't real big, but it was more "defined" than the reminder grips I grew up with. I might try it next time I regrip.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

• 2 weeks later...

Whoopwhoop here, I was lucky enough to be a tester for the Golf Pride Align grip giveaway Golf Pride did a few weeks ago and decided to do a quick review.

First off, I love trying new equipment so I was delighted to get a grip in the mail.  When I entered, I had three choices of Golf Pride's Align line.

One was oversize option, one was the MCC dual compound and the third was their tour velvet.  All had this new align grip feature that intrigued me.  I've never have tried a dual compound grip before so that's the one I picked.

Once I got it in the mail. I quickly put on some Marley and set up shop in my kitchen (ahh city livin').  I've attached a picture of me putting it on my driver.  I have a oldish Callaway Diablo driver that had the stock grip still on it. 

Just some notes from testing it on the course:

1) Looks really pretty, though I'm not a huge fan of the white.  I'd prefer it in red.

2) The alignment feature, It's supposed to help you align your grip properly every time and a sensation of alignment during the swing.  This to me wasn't clear at first because I thought it was visual, but nope, goes on the bottom of the shaft. And that's the last I ever thought of it.  Just marketing mubo jumbo to me.  I will say that knowing it was there did make me think it might have some extremely subtle effect, but it's not noticeable.

3) Performance: Well, this is subjective.  However, I will say I think dual compound is good for a firmer grip.  I generally like firmer grips.  This grip also seems like it will do well for my sweaty hands in the summer.

4) Conclusions:  For me, I wouldn't switch over my grips onto the rest of my clubs with the Golf Pride MCC align.  I think the helpfulness of the alignment line is marketing silliness and didn't notice it as much help.  As for the multi compound, I didn't really like it and wish I chose the Tour Velvet.  I think that's the best option for me.  If you're on a budget, I wouldn't pay extra for the alignment feature or MCC.  And honestly, I will be much more careful about marketing features from the golf industry in general after trying the Align grips for myself.

Was the install challenging? I've seen some rookie installers have some crazy twists on their installs. As a newbie at regripping I'm a bit hesitant about installing these on my clubs.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I haven't done a full swing test with one, but did give the sample grip at the local brick and mortar store a squeeze or two. The effect was VERY subtle to me. I tend to be a bit more a feel player over pure mechanics so I was able to notice it. I think the more you trend toward feel the more you would like it. The pure position or mechanical players out there may not notice it as much.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

These grips are not a marketing stunt. 'Reminder' or 'Ribbed' grips have been around forever.  Many pros play them.  Used to have to special order them.  I just put the Tour Velvet version on and love them. Nice subtle feel in the fingers.  A little pricey though at $9. 

I haven't done a full swing test with one, but did give the sample grip at the local brick and mortar store a squeeze or two. The effect was VERY subtle to me. I tend to be a bit more a feel player over pure mechanics so I was able to notice it. I think the more you trend toward feel the more you would like it. The pure position or mechanical players out there may not notice it as much.

It is subtle but noticeable as well. I really like it on my driver (full year usage) and will have them on hybrids and irons when it's time to regrip.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 3 weeks later...

I have these on all my clubs and love them.  The alignment aid really does remind you of where it to place your grip, in the fingers and not the palm.  I have the corded version but I may switch to the velvet so it's softer.  I can see the wear in the white part of the cord already & they aren't that old.  Either that or my grip is wrong!  HA!  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM6 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

• 2 weeks later...

I installed one yesterday and went to the range to try it out. I know some people found it a very subtle ridge, but I found it quite abrasive to my hand and glove. Overall, I felt it a distraction rather than an alignment reminder. YMMV.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Actually was just looking at these. I don't grip myself, so would need to go to PGA Superstore or a local pro shop. My only concern (naive question) - how do you ensure / confirm they are installed with the club face neutral? Was just going to get one or two clubs done to try.

Archived