Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Golf balls and distance control

Wedgie

I have always struggled with distance control. I'm not talking half shots from 80 yards, I'm talking full swings. I may hit a club 150 on one hole, 170 on the next then 130 a couple holes later. Sometimes it is a miss hit and I understand wind and other factors may cause this but I'm wondering if anyone finds certain balls offer better distance control?

I have never really settled on a certain ball and often play lower compression balls from the duo to e6. I seem to play best in the 55-75 compression range. Anyway, picked up some Z Stars for a round last weekend and pretty much everything I hit was pin high all day. You can argue no roll out with a urethane ball but I am accustomed to flying the green 2 or 3 times a round with my irons.

Can a ball help in this regard?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Pick a quality ball and stick with it -

Then you will know if it's you or the ball

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'll second what Rev said. Control one variable at a time and you can then compare results. I play srixon golf balls and find them very consistent. Good luck!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

I'll second what Rev said. Control one variable at a time and you can then compare results. I play srixon golf balls and find them very consistent. Good luck!

As much as I can't stand Srixon (because of its advertising) they make a very good ball.

There are lots of great choices of balls, pick one that spins around the green and play it exclusively for the season.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Concur with what the others have said. Choose a ball and stick with it. 

The only time I've seen distance vary the way you described and I could reasonably attribute the results to the ball was when I tried to go cheap and used recycled balls. 

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

There's already enough variables in golf from lie, weather, the swing that I try to reduce them as much as possible by playing the same ball or very similar characteristic ball so I know what it will do.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Pick a quality ball and stick with it -

Then you will know if it's you or the ball

Rev gives great advice. You need to eliminate all of the variables and the golf ball is one of them. Another variable you didn't provide are wind and temps. Was there a temp difference? What about the wind? Is the distance variability under the same conditions? I played in 40* temp and a stiff wind the other day - I definitely didn't get my normal distance that day.

Same ball, same weather conditions, on the same course and now you're down to operator error.

From that's the case then then I'd suggest a bit of time with a pro to identify swing flaws.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Rev gives great advice. You need to eliminate all of the variables and the golf ball is one of them. Another variable you didn't provide are wind and temps. Was there a temp difference? What about the wind? Is the distance variability under the same conditions? I played in 40* temp and a stiff wind the other day - I definitely didn't get my normal distance that day.

Same ball, same weather conditions, on the same course and now you're down to operator error.

From that's the case then then I'd suggest a bit of time with a pro to identify swing flaws.

I played the other day and when I tee'd off it was 35 and I was a club shorter which I would expect. Warmed up to 55 after the first 9 then the problems began again. Same e6 speed ball the entire round and wind was fairly light all day. It probably is me more than the ball but since I never play “tour” balls and the one time I did my yardage's were spot on it got me thinking. I am going to stick with the Z Star and see what happens over the course of several rounds and not base everything on one round with the Z Star.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Thank you guys for the input. I'm hoping a permanent ball is the fix. If not I'll blame my irons.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I played the other day and when I tee'd off it was 35 and I was a club shorter which I would expect. Warmed up to 55 after the first 9 then the problems began again. Same e6 speed ball the entire round and wind was fairly light all day. It probably is me more than the ball but since I never play “tour” balls and the one time I did my yardage's were spot on it got me thinking. I am going to stick with the Z Star and see what happens over the course of several rounds and not base everything on one round with the Z Star.

Sounds like a smart way to go.  Make sure you let us know what you find out.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Now you're talking.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

a standard ball will definitely help consistency, like Rev said. But as you described starting at 35* and getting warmer to 55* can also be the culprit cooler temps mean YOU"LL be less fluid and as the round progresses you'll loosen up and be swinging more freely.. also there is the moisture factor, Dew on the grass and in the ground, could be compounding a less then perfect strike meaning if your hitting slightly fat your going to dig in a little more then once the ground drys out and firms up.. Now you'll get a little bounce and create a better strike..  I play the E6 soft and they are very consistent, and a good ball. 

Something to think about.. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I don't necessarily agree with playing the EXACT same ball ... I think, more importantly, is to play the same type of ball.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Well, ideally you wouldn't have four different types of tire on your car, as it could then handle inconsistently and unpredictably, same concept here...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I think playing all winter on many different balls messes with a guy. I was actually playing ladies balls when it was in the 30s and 40s. I bet Ive played at least 10 different balls this year. Many Ive found or dont care for since we lose so many to plugging. As the weather has gotten nicer Ive gone to more premium but feel it messes with me off the tee. I dont see any real measurable distance difference, but I do feel when I make a bad swing with say a high spin ball to say a Chrome soft, I miss more greens and fairways with the higher spinning ball. Im going chrome soft as I feel I post lower scores when I do. I really never gave it a ton of thouht until this pozt about taking out the variable of different balls.

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Good stuff there Tony!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Ball types vary alot. I myself don't like srixon balls, even after testing them extensively. Maybe just me. I prefer Bridgestone. Even if you don't like Bridgestone, you can do a free golf ball fitting on their website to find out what type fits your game. At least you will know what type of ball you need regardless of brand. Helped me at least. And as my game improved, my ball type changed. Maybe this will help you...

https://www.bridgestonegolf.com/en-us/find-my-ball/ball-selector-tool#/

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

With all due respect I think the Bridgestone ball fitting process, live or on their site, is a crock.

Their balls a great however.

There are slight differences between balls in every category - I would continue to maintain that during your season you should pick one ball and stick with it. For a guy who is serious, like all of us, urethane is almost certainly the best choice because it is easier to control around the green.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

With all due respect I think the Bridgestone ball fitting process, live or on their site, is a crock.

There are slight differences between balls in every category - I would continue to maintain that during your season you should pick one ball and stick with it. For a guy who is serious, like all of us, urethane is almost certainly the best choice because it is easier to control around the green.

Yeah, the bfit thing is weird for sure, especially having tried the entire lineup side by side at the practice area. From 100 yards in they all feel the same to me across the X, XS, RX, and RXS. It made a fraction more sense when they were recommending it based on swing speed vs typical scores

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Here is a question...Lets say I miss lefy or right 20 yards (random numbers) due to swing flaws with say a high spin ball. Will those misses say be cut down to (again random numbers) to 10 yards misses with the same swing on a low spin ball?

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Here is a question...Lets say I miss lefy or right 20 yards (random numbers) due to swing flaws with say a high spin ball. Will those misses say be cut down to (again random numbers) to 10 yards misses with the same swing on a low spin ball?

I think if you hook it left or slice it right a higher spinning ball will make it worse. But a push or pull will have the same result regardless of the ball.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Let me rephrase my original question. If you had a robot hitting golf balls with everything being the same such as no wind, level ground, sea level, etc...will higher quality balls have tighter dispersion for distance than lower quality balls?

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I agree for the most part other than I think the live fit helps a player find the right compression ball for their swing or get them in the right ball park since the compression numbers across all brands in each category of ball is relatively close.

I am a fan of titleist approach of working from the green back

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

You guys got me thinking so I went back into my Grint app and looked at my history. In 2013 I played the Wilson Duo with Wilson Di11 irons and broke 80 seven times that year. Of course I thought I was too good for those balls and clubs so I switched out both in 2014 and have broken 80 once since then. My handicap was 9.8 then, now it is 13. I'm now back to more forgiving irons, I guess it is time to put the Duo back in play.

I have 6 new sleeves of Chrome Soft X Truvis and a dozen Z Stars that I'd be happy to send someone that can use them. They were gifts so I hate to charge anyone so the first to PM me gets their choice of the 2. The second to PM me gets whatever is left. I will only ship within the lower 48 states and I can ship for free from my office.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

I agree for the most part other than I think the live fit helps a player find the right compression ball for their swing or get them in the right ball park since the compression numbers across all brands in each category of ball is relatively close.

I am a fan of titleist approach of working from the green back

Then Snell approach to fitting is like that too

https://www.snellgolf.com/pages/dean-snell-golf-ball-fitting-philosophy

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

What club are you hitting? The entire point of the modern tour level ball is that it doesn't spin as much. There is a negligible difference in spin rates off the driver between it and its mid level counterpart.

If you are hitting short irons it's a different matter.

This topic actually came up while I was watching the tournament yesterday. The point was made that distance control was an issue for the guy not playing his regular ball in the alternate shot format.

@Wedgie - the duo is a perfectly good choice. It limits your shot selection around the green but who cares really? Maybe your preferred short shots match well with those the Duo fits best for. Regardless I'd affirm your choice of that particular ball and say - go for it!

Good luck

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

What club are you hitting? The entire point of the modern tour level ball is that it doesn't spin as much. There is a negligible difference in spin rates off the driver between it and its mid level counterpart.

If you are hitting short irons it's a different matter.

This topic actually came up while I was watching the tournament yesterday. The point was made that distance control was an issue for the guy not playing his regular ball in the alternate shot format.

@Wedgie - the duo is a perfectly good choice. It limits your shot selection around the green but who cares really? Maybe your preferred short shots match well with those the Duo fits best for. Regardless I'd affirm your choice of that particular ball and say - go for it!

Good luck

Hi Rev,

I play Cobra one length Irons. Played the Duo for the back 9 on Saturday and this ball just seems to work for me. I'm a little shorter off the tee with it but a little longer with the Irons so it's a wash.

I played the Z Star on the front and with my swing speed the higher launch of the Duo stopped better on greens. If I short side myself I'm screwed no matter what ball I play.

I guess the good news is the best ball for me is cheap too.

Wedgie

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

Let me rephrase my original question. If you had a robot hitting golf balls with everything being the same such as no wind, level ground, sea level, etc...will higher quality balls have tighter dispersion for distance than lower quality balls?

I think your use of the term “quality” is incorrect. Golf balls have different characteristics that come into play based on the clubs hitting them and the speed that the club hits the. This is why golf balls have different layers.

From what is have read. With perfect driver strikes and perfect conditions all balls will go basically the same distance. As you start working through the set the amount of spin will start to vary and the balls may go different distances. Off the wedges you will probably see the most variation as spin numbers will result in different performances.

When you do human testing you start getting into the forgiveness of the clubs and less consistent swings. As a result the launch and spin on a ball will vary more causing a wider dispersion. Balls designed to spin less with generally go less offline;however, if spin gets too low, you may experience more curve and knuckleballs due to exaggerated side and not enough backspin.

This is why it is suggested that you test balls from the green backwards to help give you the performance you wan and need as you get closer to the hole.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

^^^ This is an excellent post. Dispersion is far more a factor of the human element than it is the ball.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

You guys got me thinking so I went back into my Grint app and looked at my history. In 2013 I played the Wilson Duo with Wilson Di11 irons and broke 80 seven times that year. Of course I thought I was too good for those balls and clubs so I switched out both in 2014 and have broken 80 once since then. My handicap was 9.8 then, now it is 13. I'm now back to more forgiving irons, I guess it is time to put the Duo back in play.

I have 6 new sleeves of Chrome Soft X Truvis and a dozen Z Stars that I'd be happy to send someone that can use them. They were gifts so I hate to charge anyone so the first to PM me gets their choice of the 2. The second to PM me gets whatever is left. I will only ship within the lower 48 states and I can ship for free from my office.

PM sent.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Archived